• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • This milk thing
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10904958

Is it a ploy to make Cameron look strong and reinforce his compassionate side?
    or a lack of communication within the Tory Party?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TBH unlike Thatcher who had a clear and focused agenda, it seems to me that this lot don't really know what they should be doing, apart from looking after their own arses of course. They appear to be making it up as they go along. Can't see them lasting 5 years. Specially as they have to keep another political party on-board.

CaptJon
    Free Member

My first thought was it was a ploy. Classic political tactic to allow Cameron to make a point. But then it turns out No. 10 issued a statement about it while Willets was on the TV talking about the plan to scrap the milk. Very odd.

igm

He probably remembers the "Maggie Thatcher, milk snatcher" chants. (Cue "Son of Thatcher, milk snatcher")

Pity he didn't remember that if you do have to slag off Pakistan, don't do it while you're on a Prime Ministerial visit to India – anywhere else would have been less stupid.

Or maybe he just did his tell-people-whatever-they-want-to-hear routine and thought "I wonder what the Indians want to hear?".

aP
    Free Member

At least he didn't say "Circle the wagons, I see injuns."

br
    Free Member

I still want to know how the cost has 'nearly' doubled in 5 years – is it due to:

1 The price of milk
    2 The number of kids
    3 (More likely) The increase in costs in actually administering the scheme…

CaptJon
    Free Member

And he announced Iran has a nuclear bomb… but apparently they don't because he misspoke. Seems like he needs a holiday.

grumm
    Free Member

He probably remembers the "Maggie Thatcher, milk snatcher" chants.

Exactly – if only he had just come out and said 'er…. look I don't really want to be called a milk snatcher, so we've abandoned this idea'.

MicArms

Lifted from theBBC website…

But almost 40 years after education secretary Margaret Thatcher decided to end free milk for seven to 11-year-olds, she is still pilloried as a "milk snatcher". The fact a Labour government ended a similar provision for secondary school pupils does not hold the same place in the public consciousness.

and discuss….

binners

Seems to me they're all just saying the first thing that pops into their vacant little heads. Its pretty obvious that was going to happen when they went into an election with the grand total of NO policies.

Expect the transport minister to say something about abolishing speed limits on motorways as from tomorrow. Because he watched a good episode of Top Gear last night, thought Jezzer made quite a convincing argument and…. well… Dave probably won't mind

epicyclo

Or he may have simply worked out the costs down the line on the NHS if it was withdrawn.

He seems to be doing some plain speaking – about time.

(No, I didn't vote for him)

luked2
    Free Member

I remember that disgusting free milk that used to come round in the big blue crates filled with those little bottles of milk-slowly-turning-to-yoghurt.

Especially in the summer, the trick was to get to the front of the queue and then casually feel the milk bottles before picking them.

The ones in the middle of the crate tended to be still relatively cool, and so just about bearable to drink.

If you were unlucky enough to get one from round the edge, it could be anything from just unpleasantly warm to disgustingly yoghurty and clumpy. You'd have to choke back the disgusting vomity warm liquid, without gagging.

Woe betide you if you refused to drink your milk. You only made that mistake once.

And then one day we came into school, and it wasn't there any more.

Pook

Captain Flasheart is conspicuous by his absence in this thread

binners

It is quite refreshing to hear ministers deliver policy ideas that haven't been delivered word-for-word from the glorious leader. This country was starting to resemble North Korea when it came to policy announcements

It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts

rootes1

school milk is a good idea.

i remember having the little 1/3 pint glass bottle of milk with the thin blue straw… full cream goodness at end up the straw!

br
    Free Member

DAK How many kids (0-5 years old) are actually in Child Care in the UK, and 'benefitting' from this programme?

As my 'back of a fag packet' calc is only making sense at +50%…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Has there been a cost/benefit analysis of giving milk to the nation's schoolchildren?

Are we still in the fifties and worried that children aren't getting enouch calcium and protein?

aP
    Free Member

I think that concern for the diet and nutrition of large numbers of inner city children is probably quite justified, however OurDave doesn't really care, neither apparently does the coffe maker.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘This milk thing’ is closed to new replies.