Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • This is England is back – '88
  • jon1973
    Free Member

First I heard of it, but I’ll be watching it. I liked the original film especially and the 4 parter was pretty good. Interesting to see how much of Stephen Graham we’ll see – he was the lynchpin for me. Fantastic actor.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

+100000 for Stephen Graham and everything he’s ever done

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Superb. I’m really looking forward to that. And a ,This Is England ’90 for 2012? Canny wait for that either!

Some fine acting across the board in the film and ’86.

jon1973
    Free Member

Johnny Harris is another one of those hugely underrated actors, I had to look his name up, but I’ve seen him play small parts in a lot of British and American films. He played Lol’s father in This is England’86 – the guy that Combo took the blame for killing.

Cougar

First I’ve heard of any of it. Do they all follow on or are they standalone?

Creg

Will definately be watching this. Loved the film and loved 86 too. One of the few shows that could have you laughing one moment and stunned the next IMO.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s helps if you’ve seen the stuff that goes before, I think you get more out of it. I’d highly recommend the film, you can get it for a few quid now – that will introduce you to all the characters.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Probably a silly question, but have any of you fans of This is England, seen Shane Meadows – Dead Mans Shoes? Just as good as This Is England.

jon1973
    Free Member

Was good, but not nearly as good imo.

carlphillips
    Free Member

“I’ve come for the ginge” classic 😆

mojodave
    Free Member

Also check out A Room for Romeo Brass, written by Shane Meadows. Paddy Considine is great as Morell, and has the same laugh one minute / stunned the next..
    IMDb link

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, this is poor compared to his films…bar the West Midlands one, which even he accepts is crap.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

A question for those that were there…

I know the film is supposed to be taken from the writers experiences of growing up in 1982/83 but i certainly don’t recall skinheads being like that.
    I know original skins were aping 60’s Jamaican rudeboy culture but all the skins i knew/met at that time were NF/BM supporting racist ****, they would have NEVER have listened to the music these characters did.

Can’t believe they were that different from Rochdale skins…

loddrik
    Free Member

This was tv drama of the highest order. Especially for those of us who were around the same age at the same time. I cannot bare to watch utter guff like Spooks and other US tv clones, this is the sort of TV that makes me proud to be British.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Remeber in the film they do show the BNP loving skins aswell. Combo is one of them! I think the film was meant to show that skins weren’t all like that. I think it was a refreshing change seeing the good side of skinhead culture.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s the thing, i never saw that side and where i live it never existed at the time. Put it this way, at one point i was involved with the ANL and we had a meeting where some Skinheads Against Fascism guys turned up. The locals were amazed to meet skins that weren’t nazi filth ‘cos all (and i mean all) the local and not so local ones were hardcore members of the NF/BM and later BNP.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I’m only 30, so I missed it all at the time, but I’ve spoke to alot of punks and ex skins and they were right into reggae and the whole soundsystem thing. Two skinheads, complete with braces,turnup jeans and doc martins, were amazing DJs at a lot of local gigs I used to got to in the late 90s.

Must just depend on the area. You must’ve just been unlucky. No doubt there were good and bad everywhere though.

On the whole soundsystem not have a watch of this. It’s really good if youre into that sort of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_%28film%29

GlennG
    Free Member

Grew up in Brighton area in the late 70s and early 80s and was heavily into the skinhead look as were most of my school mates, none of us were ever into the NF or what they stood for and most of use used to support the ANL and CND, in fact some of the coolest guys that I hung around with at school were black and were skinheads/rude boys. To us it was the music, clothes, etc, although did see the nasty side of skinheads during the bank holiday scuffles in brighton. There are a couple of young lads (17ish) where I live now In Chichester wearing the full skinhead look, don’t envy them trying to pull that look off without being branded a racist/BNP supporter.

jon1973
    Free Member

Looks like this has just appeared on the schedule – Channel 4 13th – 15th December, 10PM.

Marin
    Free Member

Knew a lot of skinheads/rudeboys from the York area early 90’s. Virtually all AntiFascsitAction or AntiFascistLeague supporters and very anti-BNP. Lots of good music and parties. There was the element of boneheads but not tolerated amongst people I knew. However years later I do think the DM’s rolled up jeans and check shirt carry all the wrong overtones to most people. I still strut my stuff occasionaly and find a cartain attitude is assumed from you and I’m about as aggresive as a relaxed sloth.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘This is England is back – '88’ is closed to new replies.