Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)
  • Things you just don’t get
  • nwmlarge
    Free Member

No Satisfaction

P-Jay
    Free Member

No Satisfaction

Oh well played, excellent.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Real Ale. Looks, smells and tastes like fermented pond water. Sometimes it even has mud at the bottom.

leffeboy

The love of the picolax thread. It was funny at the time as it played out I’m sure but after that not so much

greeny30
    Free Member

Vanilla people feeling the need to slate fans of coloured anodised bits.
    People biking since the 90’s who still can’t jump, manual or bunnyhop over a medium sized log.
    People getting offended because they match both of the above 🙂.
    Why stanchions, rims and spokes are mostly black these days.
    The need for plus tyres.

tjagain

Competitive over money I do not get. Nor clearly does a significant portion of society. I just don’t care. To me I win when I have fun not from collecting stuff. I feel sorry for those who work long hours for money to buy toys that they then have no time to enjoy.

I think this links into bimbling. I’d rather a day off work to wander around the countryside on my old bike than work overtime to buy a new bike.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Real Ale. Looks, smells and tastes like fermented pond water. Sometimes it even has mud at the bottom*.

On a par with the Koppaberg/Magners/Stella Cidre-drinker who claims the same of real cider.

Or the Kraft cheese-slices fan who turns his nose up at real cheese because it ‘Smells, and has scaley bits, and tastes like dead feet. Sometimes even has fungus on it!’**

* As someone who has helped make real ale (commercially) – you don’t get to fob pond-water and sediment off onto paying customers. Not if you want to keep a business 🤣 That’s bad home-brewing you’re talking about. You might get away with such for a little while if you have a captive-market hovelpub deal somewhere out in the sticks with a barely-functioning alcoholic clientele! But that’s neither a real business, nor a ‘real ale‘.

**By design.

And I don’t want a bloody argument! Facts is facts 😎

jam-bo

Peter Kay.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^

(Makes note)

jam bo’s father liked garlic bread

robo89
    Free Member

Bike industry’s inability to make rim and tyres that work together without a lot of swearing and risk of a hernia, I haven’t got a prayer of fixing a trailside puncture without damaging something. Never had a 26″ tyre I couldn’t fit n remove bare handed.

robo89
    Free Member

GARLIC BREAD ?

PMK2060

People who wash and polish their cars every weekend. Surely there are better things they could be doing on a weekend.

People who get excited by real ale. I can drink the stuff but on a hot day a pint of San Miguel is just better.

trickydisco
    Free Member

27.5 wheels – negligible gains over 26 and well basically not 29

And 27.5 isn’t 27.5. it’s 26.9

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

People who get excited by real ale. I can drink the stuff but on a hot day a pint of San Miguel is just better.

^ People who see those two things as necessarily and mutually exclusive

As for people, getting excited by San Miguel (not my choice of a cold lager but any cold lager is better than ale when in a swelter) …

…a cold cider is just better 😝 i can get excited by iced water on a hot day 😎

As in all things – there’s no accounting for taste!

*edit – looking at my last few posts there is obviously some accounting for my being kept away from beer gardens for the whole of April, May and June 🤪😷.

(Gods, please take me back to 1994, so I can be ready for these last four years next time around…)

I don’t get 2020.

locum76
    Free Member

Led Zeppelin, Queen, David Bowie, Nat King Cole and tinned spaghetti.

tjagain

Those of you that don’t get real ale:

BoardinBob

The love of the picolax thread. It was funny at the time as it played out I’m sure but after that not so much

I didn’t even crack a smile at it, and I usually love a good shitting story

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And 27.5 isn’t 27.5. it’s 26.9

No it’s not, it’s a variable size, entirely dependant on how much rubber you have fitted, but generally is around 27.1 to 27.5.

belugabob
    Free Member

I don’t get tattoos, piercings, man-buns or rap music, but we’re all different and, as long as it doesn’t cause any trouble, then folks can just get on with it.

I’m pretty sure there are a load of people who don’t “get” bikes in general, never mind the weird sub- niche stuff we get up to.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

but we’re all different

I’m not.

ransos
    Free Member

Real Ale. Looks, smells and tastes like fermented pond water.

It’s good of you to go the extra mile – drinking fermented pond water – so you can make the comparison.

muddylegs
    Free Member

People who bag up their dogs mess and then drop said bag on the ground and leave it! I’m talking about in the middle of no where. Lakes, south downs and so on. I don’t believe that they are all coming back to take it home.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thinner.

FOG

Cat owners who don’t pick up their pets’ poo — oh, that’s all of you! I feel just as annoyed about dog poo but dogs don’t shit in my garden, cats DO.

PS It’s nice to see that wherever two humans gather, even virtually , each will have a reason for thinking themselves better than the other.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Makeup (“Make-believe”).
    Fake tan (“Knacker lacquer”).
    High heeled shoes.
    Non “medical supported” cosmetic surgery.

You’re right and grand as you are. Anyone thinks otherwise can jog on.

Piercings (“Shrapnel”). Your business etc., but I don’t think adding a human ear to a Myford Lathe improves its form or function, likewise I dont think a bit of metalwork improves the look or performance of an ear-ole.

Actually, just add all jewellery to the list – “Caveman like shiny metal pin! Caveman like pretty pebble! Cavemave stick one thru his todger and then put pretty pebbles on hand to impress Gods and ladies.”

I mean, FFS. Is it dress-up time? Are you 12?

hols2
    Free Member

Makeup (“Make-believe”).
    High heeled shoes.

Piercings (“Shrapnel”). Your business etc., but I don’t think adding a human ear to a Myford Lathe improves its form or function, likewise I dont think a bit of metalwork improves the look or performance of an ear-ole.

Actually, just add all jewellery to the list – “Caveman like shiny metal pin! Caveman like pretty pebble! Cavemave stick one thru his todger and then put pretty pebbles on hand to impress Gods and ladies.”

I mean, FFS. Is it dress-up time? Are you 12?

Things like jewelry, cosmetics, and ornamental clothing seem to be universal to humans all over the world. They indicate that we can imagine how others see us (i.e. theory of mind) and are trying to shape that. My guess is that the ladies with garish make-up, cosmetic surgery, high-heels etc. probably decide in the blink of an eye that you’re not worth wasting their time on anyway.

dyna-ti

I don’t get why people don’t wear Lycra on an MTB

Clearly not seen my skinny shock white legs. And I have to be harsh and say I’m not alone there 😯

nicko74

1x anything. Bikes have had perfectly functional 3x and 2x setups for decades now – they work well, they offer an incredibly useful range of gears and so on. So how is taking away a chainring and compensating with dinner plate sized sprockets progress of any sort, or desirable in any way?

Road tubeless, but I think this is less about “getting” it than just not buying into the BS from bikeradar and others that it offers any benefit whatsoever. Even Bikeradar is just owning itself now, with articles saying “road tubeless has finally come of age!”, 2 years after it first started saying how amazing it was.

Rona

Makeup (“Make-believe”).
    High heeled shoes.

You know, it’s refreshing to hear this. I don’t ‘get’ make up, fake tan, high heels (or false nails) either – and I’m the gender most often associated with the wearing of these things – but sometimes I feel like a different breed, and have spent most of my adult life resisting the subtle pressure to conform.

sockpuppet

Not what I usually weigh in on but…

You know, it’s refreshing to hear this. I don’t ‘get’ make up, fake tan, high heels (or false nails) either

I don’t see fake tan or false nails as important. But there’s ‘make-up’ and there’s MAKE-UP!!!!1!!

One is ok and looks great, one has eyebrows halfway up its forehead.

And heels can look great. Without needing to be six inches tall either.

Luckily we’re all different eh.

But false nails. Nope. 😉

tjagain

You know, it’s refreshing to hear this. I don’t ‘get’ make up, fake tan, high heels (or false nails) either

Nor me. I find it a horrendous turn off quite frankly

pondo

Thinner

Oi – that’s a corking book!

steelbike
    Free Member

Retrobike fans going boggle eyed at bikes that are as crap now as they were BITD.

robo89
    Free Member

Kind of agree with nicko74, the ability to pedal at a decent speed towards a climb then drop into a granny ring at the last second, instant climbing gear without making your chain climb up several cogs at the back, also the angle of the chain line at each end of the cassette is far from ideal.

funkmasterp

1x anything. Bikes have had perfectly functional 3x and 2x setups for decades now – they work well, they offer an incredibly useful range of gears and so on. So how is taking away a chainring and compensating with dinner plate sized sprockets progress of any sort, or desirable in any way?

Road tubeless, but I think this is less about “getting” it than just not buying into the BS from bikeradar and others that it offers any benefit whatsoever.

This sums up why difference and choice is great. I have the exact opposite opinion on both points. Two and three rings up front equals lots of gears that need skipping / are surplus. Less faffing with one ring too.

Tubeless in any form means fewer punctures. That’s just a good thing whichever way you cut it.

LeeW

My sister in law, she’s bought designer face masks for her 6, 9 and 11 year old children for their memory boxes.

nick1962
    Free Member

Presta valves for MTB rather than Schraeder.

Jordan

@tjagain Hobgoblin, now that is a tasty ale! But, I don’t get the gold hoppy version or any other of the very hoppy ales that are ultra fashionable at the moment.

kennyp
    Free Member

Paddle boarding. I can’t see the point. Swimming, kayaking, sailing etc yes I get it, but not paddle boarding. I did try it once and it was okay for about 10 minutes, then I got bored.

I’m obviously missing something as lots of folk seem to love it, so I’d genuinely be curious as to what the attraction is.

Jazz music on the other hand I have not the slightest interest in what the attraction is.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Hobgoblin, now that is a tasty ale!

I don’t get it. Especially since Marstons took over and there’s about a handful of different versions. The bottled stuff is not real ale either, AFAIK? Never seen it on tap from a cask so can’t comment on the real stuff. The old boys bemoan it’s demise in cask form (again, since Marstons)

OTOH, not liking Batham’s Best Bitter (from the tap) is something I’ll never get.

Same goes for not liking a perfectly kept crisp (real) ale (Enville Ale, Hobson’s Town Crier, and the king of all – Oracle (Salopian).

Don’t even get myself for not planning on risking the Covid bar-queue-gauntlet for a pint or three of of cool cask-conditioned Oracle. I don’t get it. 😢

smh 😔

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘Things you just don’t get’ is closed to new replies.