Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Things to do in Copenhagen?
  • zilog6128

Off to Copenhagen tomorrow (piggybacking on the Mrs’ work trip 😃). Not got an itinerary or had much time to think about one!! What’s not to miss – particularly (craft) breweries/bars? Won’t have a bike – although it looks like they have a hire scheme (Donkey Republic)… anyone used these? Any interesting places to ride to?

redmex
    Free Member

Watch out you don’t get knocked over by a cyclist on one of these town bikes they are everywhere, a walk where you pay at the end is good for a few hours, I’d avoid Tivoli maybe Christiania too
    Some cracking brick buildings over there and the museum is pretty good

zilog6128

a walk where you pay at the end

is that code for something? 🤔 🤣

dangeourbrain

Don’t bother with the mermaid (not a bad pedal out if you hire a bike mind, and the kastellet was worth a visit on route)

mikeyp

Louisiana gallery is great. Train ride away.

willard

I’ve only been past the place, but my sister went there and said that the city has some of the nicest pastries she’s ever had.

As for breweries, you could look for the Mikkeller place. They make decent beer, but they don’t have their own brewery, just borrowing other peoples.

dangeourbrain

It was years ago I was there but this place was very central and good beer

Taphouse
    +45 88 87 65 43
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/4bj6drTsoV4dS6NSA

Also, incase you’ve not already been warned enough, alcohol is expensive – that said I found good drink wasn’t too bad by comparison, it’s just the cheap end of the market isn’t at all cheap, even if it was still rubbish, eg a £60 bottle of wine worked out at £70, a £6 bottle at £40. Carlsberg £8-10 a fancy craft beer at £10

jobro
    Free Member

A walk around Nyhavn in the centre is not to bad.

mikeys

Go to the zoo! (Biased opinion alert – I was part of the team which designed the elephant house)

I remember Nyhavn being a nice spot to eat.

onewheelgood

Mikkeller Bar Viktoriagade is possibly my favourite bar in the whole world. Go there, drink beers.

masterdabber
    Free Member

The Round Tower (Rundetårn) is worth a visit. They host exhibitions there as well…. I went to a Gerald Scarfe one there many moons ago whilst on a business trip with a couple of hours to kill.

https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/planning/round-tower-gdk410741

willard

Also, incase you’ve not already been warned enough, alcohol is expensive

Hahahaha. Come to Sweden!

They say that the Danish buy their beer from Germany, we buy it from the Danes and the Finns and the Norwegiens buy it from us. Well, unless the Finns make their own.

dangeourbrain

If it beats the €130 for a single bacardi and coke I* paid in Zurich I’ll be impressed.

But yes Sweden is worse than Denmark, (then some distance beyond that are Iceland Finland and Norway) though I think as much as anything the big thing is to warn the OP lots before they go to a craft beer bar.

*not me, thankfully it was on expenses and being billed back to the client, who, as it was diageo I felt in no way sorry for.

zilog6128

though I think as much as anything the big thing is to warn the OP lots before they go to a craft beer bar.

yeah, it might hurt the wallet a bit, but it is what it is! (And won’t spend the whole weekend drinking 😃 Probably) Not going to turn down a visit to the Mikkeller bar (can’t believe I forgot about them!) Used to sample their beers quite often a while back as a local place (sadly closed now) imported the really wacky/expensive ones for their beer tasting nights!
    Thanks for the suggestions all!!

alpin
    Free Member

Christiania is a laugh if you’re that way inclined.

Very pleasant city.

Hire a bike and admire the pretty people on bikes.

DougD

Another vote for Round Tower, that was really good, as mentioned they have some interesting exhibitions on too which are worth a visit.

Bars/food – get a ferry over to Refshaleøen, there there’s a street food place and a Mikkeller bar (Mikkeller Baghaven).

Up towards Nørrebro is a place called Brus – great microbrewery and tasty food.

Around the meatpacking district is good: Mother does decent, reasonably priced pizza, Bodega 54 is a punk rock bar with a strong St Pauli theme, and opposite is a bar called Fermentoren which is good too. Mikkeller Bar Viktoriagade as also a good shout.

Torvehallerne is a covered market place with nice food stalls (some great Smørrebrød)

I found Christiania pretty weird to be honest.

andos

Boat trip around the canals is good

kcal

Also, incase you’ve not already been warned enough, alcohol is expensive

They say that the Danish buy their beer from Germany, we buy it from the Danes and the Finns and the Norwegiens buy it from us. Well, unless the Finns make their own.

My son had an Erasmus / course exchange in Copenhagen about 4 years ago, at DTU – shared a large campus flat with about 12 others – that was basically the chat, they’d head off in a hire van every couple of months to Germany, and return with a van-load of German beer.

Went a couple of times, not long enough, and given a chance, part of me would happily move there. Alos took the extremely reliable, forewent and cheap (area pass for couple of days) train trips out Roskilde (one direction) and Elsinor in the other. Great just to travel through the countryside IMO.

Christiana was a bit unsettling as above; pastries were – well – pretty good.

Robz

Get a Rød pølse with remoulade from one of the many kiosks.

Go for a walk round Tivoli in the evening.

See if you can get a cancellation at Noma or Geranium (if you want to bankrupt yourself) Or perhaps more sensibly go to the street food market – Reffen?

Get a tattoo from one of the many world class tattooers based in and around Copenhagen.

Cristiana is definitely worth a walk round. The weed smoking bit is just one corner. Go for an explore through the grounds. It’s really peaceful.

Go have a walk round the botanic gardens and Rosenborg Slot.

zilog6128

Thought I’d just update this quickly as just put a shout out for tips for our next hol 😃 Actually managed to do pretty much everything that was mentioned above (except the zoo, ran out of time, and didn’t get any tattoos either 🤣), so thanks all for the info!! Really enjoyed it, definitely my favourite city that I’ve been to (normally hate cities to be honest) as it was not too crowded and everyone was mega friendly!
    Pretty much spent the entire long weekend whizzing about the place on Donkey bikes (the cycling infrastructure is incredible) from tap room to touristy thing (then back to tap room 🍻 – the beer culture is similarly awesome). Highly recommended! 👍

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.