Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Advice please
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Alrighty guys,
    After years of buying and selling on this forum and others without incident it appears i’ve finally been ripped off! Not here but over on bikeradar i saw a nice fixie for the winter, made a guy an offer through the PM feature he accepted and gave me his paypal and telephone (mobile) details. As always, if its a decent amount of dosh (£250 in this case) i always call the chap first to get a ‘feel’ of who i’m dealing with. The chap seemed articulate and of a more mature age (ie not a youth or teenager – as if that makes any difference). He agreed if i were to send the funds that evening Thursday he would sort out the bike and delivery the next day. Sent him an email asking him to confirm he received the funds, nothing back. Next day sent a text and later on received an email confirming he had received the paypal funds and he would send bike ‘asap’. Heard nothing so i called on Wednesday evening, no answer so i left a voice message saying i was a touch concerned with his lack of communication ad could he call/email or text me back just to let me know where we were with the transaction, even made a joke about ‘just making sure he hadn’t done a runner with the cash’ i was calm, stressed i was not in a hurry and if he was busy with work or having trouble getting a box that was fine if he just let me know the status……..Still nothing! I can help thinking that a decent human being would certainly reply to this, so what do i do from here? has anyone any experience of this situation? Funds were sent as a ‘gift’ unfortunately and all i have is his full name and mobile number, dont even know what part of the UK he lives in, suggestions?

thanks in advance, Jonathan

meehaja
    Free Member

look his user details up on the forum, see if he’s sold anything else, contact other people he has dealt with, someone may well ave his addrss/ land line number. Ask around, people may know him?

MS
    Free Member

Not really much you can do!

Maybe phone him with a different number see if he picks up? If you do get through still be calm and see what the story is.

Apart from that, you would need to find out his address so you could go round with the bombers!

Cougar

Does no-one report crimes to the police any more?

There could be a reasonable explanation; he might be ill, or out of credit on his phone, or some such. If he’s been incommunicado for a few days though, I’d be concerned.

Hadge
    Free Member

Check other posts by him on the site – it may be a genuine case of him not being able to reply as he may be away or something. I’ve sold something last week, been paid for and I’ve sent emails to the buyer about things relating to it and he’s not answered once! Here’s me all concerned about carriage, making sure he’s in etc and I’m left in the dark.
    Worst of all just lately though is people paying by “gift” to save on fees (not sure who gets charged on that – sender or receiver) but you’ve got no cover so always always pay by the normal PayPal method adn then there’s at least some comeback. If your a seller then add that onto whatever it is your selling and let them know why.
    I’ve just called work to make arrangements for someone pick a frame up I’ve sold and been told we’ve been broken into and that’s one of the things that’s been taken!!! Thieving scum. I think they’ve got one of the lads and they may have the frame but not sure if it’s damaged so will have to wait and see – not good.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Paypal gift isn’t even free anymore (and hasn’t been for months), it’s no cheaper to do it properly than to gift it.

No excuses now people, forget the gift option!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

UPDATE……

Thanks for all your replies guys but i’ve just had a call from the guy, he said he’d been at a funeral and the bike should have been collected yesterday but DHL didn’t turn up (completely believable actually!) anyway he said it should be collected today so fingers crossed! 😳

thanks again guys

Hadge
    Free Member

Glad it seems to be sorted bt what buyers have to understand is that private sellers aren’t CRC or Merlin and we do live normal lives and somethimes things happen. We all can’t post immediately and sometimes work or family commitments come first. When I sell I do my best get it away as quick as possible but it just isn’t always possible. Hope you like it when it arrives too.

I’m just waiting hear about what’s happened at work now and see just what’s been taken. I work at BETD Goldtec and it’s our shop that’s been raided. Scum bags.

boblo
    Free Member

So…. thieving scum? Premature insultation perhaps…?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Hadge – hope you get it sorted mate.

Boblo – it would appear so but still was squeeky bum time there for a while!

Pook

but maybe a forum based apology to the totally innocent party wouldn’t go amiss eh?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Did you find out where he lived? He could be just around the corner and you could collect 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Best you alter the title seeing as the poor sod had been to a funeral!!

Cougar

Best wait until the kit turns up.

</cynical>

MartynS

“thieving scum” really…

I’d be seriously inclined to give you your £250 back in 1p coins that have been dipped in wee

epo-aholic
    Free Member

MartynS – i’d take that offer in a flash.

Guys dont get me wrong i may have been a bit fash to cast assumptions but nothing about this guy seems right……he calls to give his excuse which is fine then tells me DHL are collecting that day, since then i’ve sent 2 texts to ask if it had been collected and if he has a tracking number and hey presto he’s dissapeared again!
    I appreciate its not like i’m buying off crc or wiggle so i dont expect that service but i do expect an email/call/text or some communication, certainly not how i would treat a buyer of my gear.

Anyway, we’ll see………..fingers crossed 😐

takisawa2

If I had £250 of someones cash I’d be keen to allay their fears that I’m not ripping them off. I’ve always done my best to post stuff as quick as possible, & usually I’ll photo the PO receipt & email it to let them know the tracking no etc. Takes what, a couple of mins with a modern mobile.
    If the guys actually called you then its probably going to be ok, even if he has possibly spun a yarn & been a bit slack in posting.

Isnt there a website where you pay a pound or so, & it will give the location of a mobile from its number ? 😉

wwaswas

so from your WTD: post I assume no progress?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Still nothing although the last i heard from him it should’ve arrived today before 5.30pm, needless to say still no bike! Really cant fathom out this guy….. 🙄

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Advice please’ is closed to new replies.