Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • these various bed-in-a-box mattresses with women’s names
  • maccruiskeen

Emma, Leesa…. Geraldine (probably)

In the market for a new mattress and there seems to be some pretty enthusiastic discounting going on amongst the various online sellers.

Up til now I’ve been quite a fan of pocket springs and fairly firm mattresses. These new-fangled home delivery ones all seem to be ‘award winning’ and a bit of a search of online reviews mostly seems to see lots of happy customers but they’re all customers recommending what they’ve got reviewing them at the point of delivery and enthusing as much about the packaging as anything else and saying how basically their new mattresses is newer than their old mattress. I see very little comparison between the brands

I’ve always had a curmudgeonly suspicion about the bed-in-box model. It seems like a model for mattress-making that prioritises 48 hrs the product is in a van over the years someone is going to sleep on it. This is reinforced a bit by foam mattresses in the past being the bottom rung, budget option for mattresses so I’m curious as to how now they’re suddenly marketed as a premium product

Do they actually stack up well compared to other more conventional mattress constructions? Do they last (for years, rather than beyond their 100 day trial period) and given the same-ness of the offer from the various forgettably similar brands are they all much of a much-ness

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought one for the spare room, tried it for a week, then stuck it in the spare room where it’s stayed.

I prefer “traditional” well built mattresses.

Everyone has their own preference, these “new” mattresses often come with a “try for 100 days” timeframe so if you are undecided, do that..

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’ve got one….. tried two and stuck with the Emma, very comfy.
    Try one, you’ve nothing to lose and 45% off at the moment!

(Edit: this was coming from an expensive Hypnos mattress and was 18 months ago.)

jim25

We tried the simba and end buying an IKEA mattress in the end.

sweepy
    Free Member

They are all about marketing. Buying up online review sites to give themselves good reviews and awards.

phil5556

My mum put a memory foam mattress in my old bedroom, whenever I stayed over found it far too hot. Evidently other guests also complained as she got rid of it after a year or so and went back to traditional spring. Which is MUCH MUCH better.

They might not all be like that and it might depend if you like a hot bed or not.

ajaj
    Free Member

We have a Casper and an Emma. They replaced a mid-range Silentnight pocket sprung/memory foam mattress that, after just under ten years, was a bit saggy.

The Emma is firmer than the Casper.

My Mrs has a bad back and says that the Emma is “the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on”.

Postscript – they’re pretty much perpetually on discount, you’d be mad to pay full price.

theotherjonv

we have a Simba, had it for a few years now. It is warmer than a traditional in summer but not unbearably.

In comfort mode, no complaints – and I am quite a tough crowd for back pain. In sports mode, it is a bit unresponsive, a sprung definitely has a better coefficient of action/reaction (based on hotel stays)

Riksbar

Do they have one called Louise?

zippykona

We  had one ,can’t remember which and we both got cramp from it.

Gone to an old school flippable mattress.

maccruiskeen

Do they have one called Louise?

We’ve all had one called Louise

onewheelgood

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

The bizarre world of online mattress reviewing. Just more evidence that humanity fully deserves its imminent extinction.

fossy

Got a Tempur, mainly due to having had a broken back and half a missing L1. Works for me, but’s a little hard for the wife.

doomanic

Can someone explain the “Louise” thing please?

z1ppy

Had a tempur, it was the best most comfortable mattress I’ve slept on, it eventually sagged, so we replaced it with an eve*(?). The eve was less than half the price of the tempur, not quite as good but still loads better than any sprung bed

*im pretty sure these brands are interchangeable

Kryton57

We have a Casper and an Emma. They replaced a mid-range Silentnight pocket sprung/memory foam mattress that, after just under ten years, was a bit saggy.

The Emma is firmer than the Casper.

My Mrs has a bad back and says that the Emma is “the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on”.

Most of this.  Our Emma replaced a silent night and Mrs K swears the Emma is Uber comfortable in comparison.   I can’t tell the difference but I put this down to – like all husbands – the fact I only sleep on the last 3 inches at the edge.

doomanic – you really had to be there/ here to experience Louise.

nickc

Can someone explain the “Louise” thing please?

There was a thread some time ago about disastrous/failed relationships, and GF/BFs that were, not to put too fine a point on it, a bit bonkers. The number of people that had gone out with a girl named Louise who was a bit too far on the bunny-boiler end of the spectrum stretched the credulity of chance, some folk surmised (somewhat tongue in cheek, as sometimes these threads are wont to do)  that it was in fact the same girl.

It has since gone on to become the meme we all love and so look forward to whenever partners are mentioned

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a Leesa one which was on my bed for 18 months & found it very comfortable, lots of really good sleep on that one.

When 2 households became one, it was relegated to the spare room as my other half has a very expensive (and comfy, to be fair) mattress already on the bed, it was probably 5 times the price of the Leesa one however.

Every single person who has stayed in the spare room in the last 12 months has commented how amazingly comfortable the bed is and how good a nights sleep they get on it. So that one gets a thumbs up from me!

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve got a Louise but she won’t let me sleep on her very often. Mind you she’s better than I deserve so she’s probably right.

HughStew

We got a Leesa and it’s very comfortable. Those who ordered them and didn’t get on with them, did you have any problems returning them? If not what’s the risk.

hols2
    Free Member

I was expecting a thread about keeping a list of your lady conquests, Candee, Cyndee, Ashlee, etc.

mashr

I always finding elastomers are overdamped for bed based exercises. Coil is where it’s at

riklegge

We had a Leesa, but didn’t really get on with it. There was no problem with sending back for a refund. However, given that they can’t be resold and I know there are issues with donating mattresses to charity, I’m unsure what happens to the unwanted ones. Hopefully not landfill.

mudfish

Sorry for thread shift sideways

The upper layer of my Tempur has split so it’ll need replacing Soon I guess. You can’t flip as it’s a base layer and 40mm (say) topper kind of thing.
    Maybe I can just replace the “topper” layer.

Anyone tried it? Bloody expensive to replace the whole thing.

Thx
    Neil

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ikea hovag. Forget the others.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just recently got an Emma just to try as they are on 100 day money back thing and seemed a good idea to try before you buy as you canny tell jack from a mattress after a minutes lye down in a shop.

A bit odd initially after a normal pocket sprung mattress, but after a few nights I’m a convert. It’s firm but compliant due to tempur foam, and I’m a bit of a tosser during the night and can’t toss and turn without bothering the wife on previous pocket sprung mattresses, she always got a jiggle when I tossed and turned, and we had a decent pocket sprung mattress too. But with this I can roll and turn to my hearts content and she’s non the wiser. It’s a lot warmer than a traditional mattress too.

So, so far so good, let’s see how long it lasts, but has a ten year guarantee so if it goes soggy after 5 years so long as they honour their guarantee I’ve got a lifetime supply of mattress.

maccruiskeen

I’m unsure what happens to the unwanted ones. Hopefully not landfill.

I spent a day on a landfill site a couple of years back. Was quite heartened by how little recognisable rubbish there was. I guess at consumer level and at a waste processing level we’re quite good at stopping too much stuff unnecessarily going in the ground.

we did happen across a bag full of dildos.

and there were very large piles of mattresses

pictonroad

I don’t know how you guys can sleep on foam mattresses. The kids have them, I tried it and absolutely cooked, I’d avoid unless you live somewhere cold.

This is reinforced a bit by foam mattresses in the past being the bottom rung, budget option for mattresses so I’m curious as to how now they’re suddenly marketed as a premium product

^ I think it coincided with the introduction of the marketing word ‘memory’. 🤷🏻‍♂️

z1ppy

So, so far so good, let’s see how long it lasts, but has a ten year guarantee so if it goes soggy after 5 years so long as they honour their guarantee I’ve got a lifetime supply of mattress.

Yeah good luck with that, if you read the warranty, they’ll only replace it is the sag is noticeably when your not on the mattress..

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Got Tempur……Works for me, but’s a little hard for the wife.

But what does she think of the mattress?

footflaps

We have a Simba which is the same but not a female name. It’s perfectly fine, hotter than a sprung matress but perfectly comfortable. Hardly life changing though…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yeah good luck with that, if you read the warranty, they’ll only replace it is the sag is noticeably when your not on the mattress..

Well I’ve got more of a chance compared to alot of other brands who don’t offer any guarantee whatsoever. And it’s a guarantee not a warranty so different.

footflaps

Maybe I can just replace the “topper” layer.

You can buy mattress toppers, try one of them?

stevious

Got a Leesa. It’s too hot for me in the summer so I end up sleeping in the spare room.

maccruiskeen

hotter than a sprung matress

that alone is enough reason for me not to give them a try

Kryton57

hotter than a sprung matress

I don’t believe ours is hotter.   The Emma mattress makes a point about cooling though, not sure if the others do.

Marketing:

Breathable bottom cover
    This cover supports air circulation and has non-slip elements that prevent the mattress from slipping off the bed base. Handles allow for easy manoeuvring.

Breathable Airgocell foam
    Our breathable Airgocell foam absorbs moisture and keeps air flowing through the mattress smoothly. You’ll also stay cool all night, thanks to this wonderfully temperature-regulating and open-pored foam.

ransos
    Free Member

We looked at few but ended up buying a Premier Inn mattress, on the basis that we found them comfortable when staying in their hotels.

footflaps

The Emma mattress makes a point about cooling though, not sure if the others do.

Pretty sure they all do as its a known ‘issue’ with foam mattresses, our Simba has ‘cooling’ channels cut in the layers. Still noticeably warmer than a sprung mattress.

maccruiskeen

We looked at few but ended up buying a Premier Inn mattress, on the basis that we found them comfortable when staying in their hotels.

that’s not a half bad notion. Having stayed in an awful lot of hotels/motels in the last 12 months I’ve gotten on pretty well with Premier Inn ones. Mind you travelodge’s beds are pretty good these days too although I don’t think they market their mattresses. Its hard to know if the beds really are that good / suit me that well as I’m always absolutely dog tired anyway and would probably sleep just as well in a bin.

EDIT – hmmm – I’d need to rebuild my bed though – I built it to suit my current Ikea mattress and thats between the sizes that Premier / Hypnos do. Thats not deal-breaker though.

onewheelgood

This is reinforced a bit by foam mattresses in the past being the bottom rung, budget option for mattresses so I’m curious as to how now they’re suddenly marketed as a premium product

Dunlopillo were always premium. We paid about £800 for ours in 1990, so about £1800 at today’s prices. Super comfortable and lasted for years. Shame they went bust.

Currently have one of these – cheaper, but very comfortable. It has a winter and a summer side for temperature regulation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘these various bed-in-a-box mattresses with women’s names’ is closed to new replies.