Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • There's a woman in our office who just finished battling cancer….
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

There’s a woman in our office I’ve always admired because of her tenancity and indomitable spirit and indefatigable energy. She recently battled breast cancer while barely skiping a beat.

The other day in the office, and in response to discussing her latest venture (a 10 day Mont Blanc trek) my colleagues were all commenting on what a remarkable woman she is.

I thought that odd and slighyly disparaging. I didn’t say anything but what I really wanted to say was ’she’s always been remarkable. I’m surprised it took her having to batter with cancer before you were able to recognise it’.

There are remarkable people all around you but most people barely recognise them.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I wrote more than this but it was too preachy, but you’re right. Remarkable people do remarkable things all the time some of them will contract horrible diseases and get better, some won’t. Neither outcome makes them any less remarkable.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Not sure you should find it disparaging that anyone should find her remarkable. If it takes special circumstances then that shouldn’t matter. They’ve realised…..surely that’s what counts?
    Good luck to her anyway.
    I find it constantly humbling when I hear stories like this, and know someone very much like her who is an inspiration to me whenever things get on top of me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“battling cancer” – srsly?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My best mate was just like that. Sadly her cancer battle didn’t turn out too well. I learnt a lot from her.

iainc

davidtaylforth – Member
    “battling cancer” – srsly?

^^^ you won’t have had cancer then David ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

^^^ you won’t have had cancer then David ?

😀 not yet; there’s a one in three chance I will though!

I thought that term was one that hadn’t been used for some time as it’s a bit daft.

iainc

Ah well, hopefully statistics will be on your side and you won’t have any battles to fight 😯

loverofminkys

As someone who has had cancer twice, last time being stage 4, I think the term battling the disease is quite appropriate.

greentricky
    Free Member

I think its closer to 1 in 2 now

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

As someone who has had cancer twice, last time being stage 4, I think the term battling the disease is quite appropriate.

You must be a good battler since you’re still here. Are those that “lost the battle” just rubbish at battling or something?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think its closer to 1 in 2 now

😯

I smoke aswell, whihc probably increases the chances….

seosamh77
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    I thought that term was one that hadn’t been used for some time as it’s a bit daft.

Currently watching my mother battle cancer, it’s a fight she can’t win. Battling is about as appropriate a word I could think of. In fact, it seems somewhat insufficient, it’s definitely not a daft description..

loverofminkys

I was just about to respond to that with something along the lines of it being a battle against the emotional/physical/financial implications of having a potentially terminal disease that means that I don’t consider I have ever, nor will ever stop battling the effects of cancer – then I realised that someone who could respond to a thread like this with the response you did is probably a complete arse

jamj1974

I have a bit of an issue with the phrase “lost the battle with cancer”. Both my grandparents had cancer, my mum has had cancer – so I see it as a real possibility in my future.

I know if I do have cancer, I will be fighting. I may only be fighting for quality of life or a little more time, perhaps some good days mixed in with the bad or just to keep some of my dignity and self respect. If cancer kills me I may not have lost the battle….

iainc

Well put loverofminkys

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Currently watching my mother battle cancer, it’s a fight she can’t win. Battling is about as appropriate a word I could think of. In fact, it seems somewhat insufficient, it’s definitely not a daft description..

Sorry to hear that

ski
    Free Member

There are remarkable people all around you but most people barely recognise them.

How true

So many people out there caught up in the rat race, too scared to slow down or to acknowledge someone who has a heart.

mogrim

My mother died 3 months ago from pancreatic cancer, and no – I don’t think “battling” is the right term. Battling implies some kind of fight, and beyond doing what the doctor does and trying to stay positive what kind of fight are you putting up?

Sorry to be a bit depressing, but having heard all sorts of crap about “bravery” and “fighting spirit” etc it all gets a bit much. My mother didn’t want to die, but sometimes no matter how much you want something it’s tough shit, life isn’t a Disney movie.

loverofminkys

My apologies if my response came on a bit strong. I also have an issue with the idea that its possible to ‘lose the battle’ because that implies that by surviving I have some how ‘won’ I haven’t. I don’t think anyone who has ever been through it has. I do, however, consider myself to battling the effects of the disease – I think i always will.
    And yes life can be shit, which means the good days really do matter.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP yes indeed, chapeau to her and all those who have battled the dicease. There is a cacer thread on another forum I’ve been hanging out on for 10+ years, there are many stories of the fight not all have a positive outcome but they are all stories of courage

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My apologies if my response came on a bit strong

I probably asked for it.

lalazar
    Free Member

For all those who won their battles and all those who didn’t I salute you. Both my parents died from cancer so I know the ruthless adversary that it is.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My mum had cancer at 45, we found out my wife was expecting our first child 4 weeks later. We told mum way before we should’ve done that her first grandchild was on the way, she just decided to carry on living to see that grandchild and her three others since be born and grow up. She’s still here and having to babysit. My point is, life will carry on with or without you, embrace every second we’re all here together to enjoy it…

godihatehills
    Free Member

This struck a chord with me having lost my Dad and Aunt to Cancer and my wife is currently in remission.
    It struck me that the Lady discussed and some others may find this useful, interesting, inspiring or just a load of old bollocks but it’s kind of relevant either way:
    http://helenblissblog.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

jekkyl

I lost both my parents to the big C as well, I think Battle is quite apt. It took my Dad 6 months after first diagnosis and my mum battled it 3 times over 6 years and on the third it took her.
    My advice is…. get some Video of your parents while they are still alive. So many times I had a Camera with video capabilities and was with them but I have so few movies of them. It’s so nice to hear their voice after they have gone & grieving. 🙁

crewlie

I have never felt like I was battling the cancer itself, I let the surgeons and physicians do that that.
    I have fought to live my life the way I wanted to live it despite the diagnosis. That’s my battle and it’s one I intend to keep on trying to win at.
    If the disease were to progress I wouldn’t consider myself, or anyone who succumbs to have “lost” a battle with cancer.

convert

I too have a problem with the term battle in reference to cancer. Yes, it’s a truly horrible thing and it takes an indomitable spirit to stay positive through the treatment and beyond but the ‘battle’ and ‘lost the battle’ phraseology puts some unwarranted implication that much of the outcome is the the suffer’s hands. It implies those that died failed in some way; were not as good at ‘battling’ – almost that it was a little bit their fault. That if they had just tried a bit harder they would not have ‘lost the battle’ so soon. Which is all bobbins. I’ve seen some quite frankly miserable bastards who did their level best to drag the world with them in a downward spiralling depression survive to live another day either through luck or damn good medical intervention whilst the most positive determined folk taken all too soon. ‘Battling’ didn’t come into which survived.

edit

I have fought to live my life the way I wanted to live it despite the diagnosis. That’s my battle and it’s one I intend to keep on trying to win at.

That’s a far better way of looking at it and I hope you continue to do so for the foreseeable.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Interesting how this thread ended up developing. I was more focused on the fact that there are remarkable all around us but so few of them are ever recognised as such.

The discussion as it plauyed out though is very touching.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘There's a woman in our office who just finished battling cancer….’ is closed to new replies.