Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The ultimate rucsac? – Ortleib Mountain X31
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Rucsacks made out of not-waterproof fabric has long been a bugbear of mine.
    Just came across the Ortleib Mountain X31 and it looks brilliant (if pricey)

Anyone ever used/seen one?

deus

Alpkit do a much more basic GOurdon one for £25 or they have drybags for a few quid and use them with the rucksack of your choice (which is what i’ve done), much cheaper to replace a drybag than a rucksack (if it’s beyond repair).

lemonysam
    Free Member

Rucsacks made out of not-waterproof fabric has long been a bugbear of mine.

Really, why?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Even if a rucksac is made out of waterproof material it will be very hard to actually make it waterproof due to the complicated shapes / lots of seams / access required

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Really, why?

because the stuff inside gets wet…

Yes, you can use covers (which blow off in the wind) or line it with bags, but it really can’t be that hard to make a bag out of waterproof fabric can it? Its not like it needs to be a breathable fabric, why not use the same stuff tents are made of?

Gourdon is waterproof, but doesn’t look like it functions as well as a rucsac.

Anyway, back to the original question, has anyone seen the Ortleib one?

Clobber
    Free Member
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

Even if a rucksac is made out of waterproof material it will be very hard to actually make it waterproof due to the complicated shapes / lots of seams / access required

which is what it looks like Ortleib have done…

RustySpanner

The Alpkit Gourdon is completely waterproof.
    It even floats, providing you fasten it properly.

It’s not a complicated shape.

It doesn’t have lots of seams.

There is a hole on the top where you put things in and take them out.
    And two pockets – one on each side.

I know I bang on about these a lot, but it’s the best bit of kit I’ve used for years.

Gourdon is waterproof, but doesn’t look like it functions as well as a rucsac.

It functions amazingly well as a rucksack – very light, surprisingly comfy, easy to pack, not sweaty to wear, carries a bladder.

For £20.00 you might as well try one.
    If you don’t like it, I’ll buy it off you.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

I use the Gourdon for commuting, means I can shove everything in it and know its waterproof. Tested it in the bath and all was good. Nothing fancy and cheap. Its not uncomfortable providing you pack it sensibly.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – alright! I’ll get one…

(would stil like the Ortleib though…)

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve played with a Mountain X31 at a show and it does look very nice, but it’s definitely more for bikepacking or longer distance stuff than everyday riding.

I use a Core 13 all the time though. It’s tough, waterproof (including the zip), does the “carrying things” job very well and it’s very comfy. It’s no cheap though, but nothing I’ve ever carried in it has ever got even a bit wet, even in full on downpour conditions. As long as you don’t dunk the straps or pack panel in a puddle you can pretty much put it down whereever you like. More than once I’ve picked it up and realised I’d dumped it in a puddle, but no problem.

Recommended 🙂

RustySpanner

ir_bandito – Member

Rusty Spanner – alright! I’ll get one…

(would stil like the Ortleib though…)

They’re out of the 20 litre ones at the mo, sadly.
    Not tried the other sizes. 🙁

If you’re in the North West you’re more than welcome to borrow mine to see if you get on with it.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I have an Overboard 30 litre rucksack.

Excellent quality, not quite Ortlieb but not far off and a lot cheaper.

these ones are only £30 30l rucksack

fasthaggis

Exped
    I use one of these for commuting and it never lets any water in.
    Don’t know if i would use it so much off road ,as it would tear easy if you were to take a fall.
    Great bag though ,and light.

boxfish
    Free Member

My Deuter DS Bike 18 is still going strong after 8 years. Gets used every (commuting) day. If it ever wore out, I would buy another. Problem is they stopped making them!

theflatboy
    Free Member

when i used to work at Cotswold we once asked the Lowe Alpine rep about waterproof rucksacks and the conclusion was the fabrics are so water resistant anyway that the extra weight and cost of making the seams and hence the complete packs completely waterproof was not worth it when you could just use a liner to achieve the same effect on the occasions it was an issue.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

So long as you don’t pack it with rocks and cutlery the gourdon is way more comfy than it looks like it’s going to be. I’ve used mine on the bike and hill walking as a day sack.

A few little bits inside to organise things would have been nice but it’s a drybag with straps on at the end of the day. The external bungy cord and pockets are good though I did loose my banana out of one bunnyhoping

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The ultimate rucsac? – Ortleib Mountain X31’ is closed to new replies.