• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Genius
  • Spin
    Free Member

It’s an over used word but I came across this definition the other day in ‘The Deptford Trilogy’ by Robertson Davies:

“He was a genius – that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities.”

Who makes it in under that definition? Any field.

porter_jamie

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYcZGPLAnHA[/video]

Spin
    Free Member

I was going to say Gazza. Totally different but both definately make it in under that definition.

colournoise

slainte 8) rob

maccruiskeen

Hora 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    yunki
    Free Member

elfinfredbra in the field of forum debate

molgrips
    Free Member

Iain Banks

nealglover
    Free Member

Terje Haakonsen !

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIr98KPxvYw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

MussEd
    Free Member

Lionel Messi
    James Ellroy
    Shane Williams

And either of the Chuckle Brothers…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Paul Dirac
    James Lighthill

Two people who although I have not met personally, I do know people have met both of these people. Themselves world leader in their field but still amazed at how strong their intuition was.

Spin
    Free Member

Personally, I don’t think Iain Banks has a place on this list. A good writer and possibly a great one but not, I feel, a genius in this sense. He lacks the economy of expression and lightness of touch of the true literary genius. I offer Italo Calvino and Dylan Thomas as examples.

Feel free to shoot me down.

nealglover
    Free Member

Or Seth Morrison

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1kJJaORYHg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

LsD
    Free Member

Keith Harris

Kevevs
    Free Member

Jimi Hendrix

Spin
    Free Member

Keith Harris

Bollocks. Orville was the talented one in that duo

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally, I don’t think Iain Banks has a place on this list. A good writer and possibly a great one but not, I feel, a genius in this sense

Well I’m nothing like erudite enough to have this conversation properly, but I’m talking about storytelling and scifi really. Usually when I read I’m thinking about the book, the writing, the author, analysing as I go. With the really good ones I’m suddenly a child on the teller’s knee and I don’t care about any of it, I just want to know what happens next. Banks can that, in his scifi, with ease, panache, and deft humour that I can do nothing but prostrate myself.

scaredypants

I’ve never met one, and the only ones I’e seen in action would be sportsmen (or women, though I’m not instantly getting any)

Gazza, Zidane & Best more than Messi, somehow that I can’t explain (isn’t that pretty much a requirement ?) but I think Messi’s too consistently good and so must be trying hard. (Mind, I’d have him above the others on my team – or zidane maybe)

Jonathan Davies

McEnroe

Viv Richards

(writers, dunno, they’d have to just trot a story out rather than redrafting etc and I don’t know how you tell)

Spin
    Free Member

but I’m talking about storytelling

Being able to spin a yarn is a rare talent and one that some look down their noses at in preference for all sorts of literary bells and whistles. It’s what makes literature enjoyable for most of the people most of the time (me included).

I’d put George Macdonald Fraser in that bracket but I wouldn’t call him a genius.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use the word Genius like this either, but the OP supplied a particular definition, so that’s what I was going with.

I’ll check out that Fraser chap.

seahouse
    Free Member

Miles Davis
    Richey Edwards
    HG Wells

Spin
    Free Member

(writers, dunno, they’d have to just trot a story out rather than redrafting etc and I don’t know how you tell)

I think you’re right. With writing it’s hard (impossible?) to separate the fact that you like someones style from a cold analysis of merit. And it probably always is hard work it’s just that the good ones don’t make it look that way!

Sports figures are easier to rate, perhaps that’s why commentators over use the word genius.

molgrips
    Free Member

The only sportsperson I can think of who makes winning really look easy is Cavendish. Nadal wins a lot, sure, but he really makes it look hard work not in terms of winning margins but just how he looks and the expression on his face.

hora
    Free Member

Although I was never a fan; Alain Prost.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Genius’ is closed to new replies.