• This topic has 1,994 replies, 143 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,995 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season
  • wallop

Yes, Persimmon is good. The new rose prizm lens also served me proud this winter – I used it in all conditions… but it is a bit pink…

Tom-B
    Free Member

Cheers chaps….just ordered one. Had a bit of a struggle finding anywhere in stock. Then found one in stock for £26.00!!!! Get in!!

Here’s hoping for some more dumps of snow in Tignes 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hmmm, my question was lost as the thread moved on.

And while we’re asking…Nevica ski helmets are El Cheapo at House of Astley. There won’t be anything wrong with them will there?

Anyone?

surfer
    Free Member

I always wear a helmet (after having some idiot ski into me and dislocating my shoulder a few years ago) I bought my helmet mail order and it fits fine. I suspect they all have to comply with regulations and safety/quality standards all though somebody may be able to answer specifically about Nevica ones.
    IME with young kids you have to find a balance between decent kit and the fact that even if your lucky you may only get a season or two out of it!

Edit: I’m actually hoping the snow stops soon in Ishgl (Flying early Saturday)

bombjack
    Free Member

And while we’re asking…Nevica ski helmets are El Cheapo at House of Astley. There won’t be anything wrong with them will there?

Cant see why a shop would sell a defective helmet (o’er missus! :oops:) Sports Direct usually buys massive quantities of old stock then flogs it cheap (or buys the whole f’in company) so there’s no reason to expect it not to be kosher.
    Just make sure it fits right and that your goggles fit.
    BJ

surfer
    Free Member

Yes goggle fit is important. An older helmet of mine used to just press slightly on the top of my goggles pushing them down onto my nose which was irritating.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s for mrs deadly. We’ve got a House of Ashley round the corner from us so we’ll dig out her goggles and go up for a shufty. Thanks.

Rockape63
    Free Member

A friend of mine has a Nevica helmet….a friend who was in the ski industry was suggesting they are dodgy (seeing he got it for £20) but don’t think he was serious. Couldn’t see any difference between it and others myself…. and he liked it.

GrahamS

Kit advice for a fashionably challenged nearly 40 year old please.

I’m looking for some new snowboard pants to go with black+red Westbeach jacket.
    Even I can see that my current green Burton Cargo ones clash horribly – plus weightloss means they are too big these days and at the end of their life anyway.

So, what goes better.

The Bonfire Arc pants in “Red Rum”?

Or the more muted Burton Southside in Crimson:

Any other suggestions or “colourways”?

The Westbeach Upper Levels Clamato pants would be perfect match colour-wise, but I’d feel a bit of a fanny in Westbeach+Westbeach. Plus my mates jacket is Clamato so it would look like I’d nicked his pants 😀

surfer
    Free Member

Top one

Rockape63
    Free Member

Looks like you nicked the pants from someone 6 inches taller than you! 😯

bombjack
    Free Member

So, what goes better.

Mmmm, what colour are your goggles / boots / binders / topsheet / bottom sheet.
    One can never co-ordinate too much you know.
    Top ones FTW btw.

GrahamS

Mmmm, what colour are your goggles / boots / binders / topsheet / bottom sheet.

Black! The fashionably challenged default colour.

Black helmet, black goggles (usually the blueish lens), black gloves, black bindings, black topsheet (with coloured squares)

igm

They have to go with the snowboard too Graham. And the boots. And the bindings. Oh and your luggage, don’t forget your luggage.

Badly colour coordinated is spot on in my opinion- makes it look like you bought stuff as you wore it out and you chose it based on performance- which of course you did.

And the answer to your question is the second set look better – and on that basis get the first one.
    Edit: looking at the photo it’s all a bit Alan Partridge goes snow boarding. I think you need some neon colour clashes. 😉

bombjack
    Free Member

Black helmet, black goggles (usually the blueish lens), black gloves, black bindings, black topsheet (with coloured squares)

Now, now, this isn’t very enduro.
    Needs more fluro.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That jacket looks like an anorak. Which kinda suits a Steezy like yo Gee2DaEss. 😛

GrahamS

looking at the photo it’s all a bit Alan Partridge goes snow boarding.

😀 Like I said, I don’t do “fashion”

Now, now, this isn’t very enduro.

Something more colourful like the Sochi outifts?

That jacket looks like an anorak.

I’ll have you know that’s a 20k/30k Cocona backcountry anorak technical shell. 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Just Per chased this one. Hope it comes in time 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Broight! 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Black jacket. Lairy loud trousers.

It’s in the rules.

GrahamS

So on that basis Flashy are the top ones lairy enough? Any other suggestions?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, top one looks good!

My trews are massively bright orange.

bombjack
    Free Member

Yup, bright pants all the way. My yellow four square pants are quite simply the coolest (and biggest)snowboarding pants I’ll ever buy.
    That Socchi kit is proper enduro, a mate of mine was a gamesmaker or the Paralympic winter games, he still wears his stash to work when its cold 😮

GrahamS

Thanks folks. Button pushed on the top set.
    They look like the better trews anyway. 15k/10k with a brushed lining. Cosy.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just Per chased this one. Hope it comes in time

That colour is sooo 2013 Surfer! 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surfer’s 50. Colour?

dashed
    Free Member

Just back from Maryhofen – snow wasn’t too bad, bit of a thin snowpack and some dodgy avalanche conditions in some areas limited backcountry stuff, but did have a great day out with a guide.

GrahamS

Nice pic dashed.

But black jacket and red trousers. What are you thinking ? 😉

dashed
    Free Member

Grey jacket and orange pants 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Yesterday was nice out. This morning was cloud and drizzle so I sat playing guitar as Instructors in boot-length coats lead trails of classe-neige down. The good news is that lots of snow is forecast, the bad news being that it’ll be horrible out for days and then the avalanche risk will be five.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sorry to p*ss on your Bonfire (trousers) GrahamS but you should have gone darker IMHO. But I’m sure you’ll look R.A.D either way.

GrahamS

It’ll take a lot more than a pair of new breeks to make me look RAD 😀

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer’s 50. Colour?

I’m hoping it matches my dreds

Tom-B
    Free Member

Black jacket and Red trews here too…..I’m cool as **** Graham so you’ll be in good company 8)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Any input on helmet covers ? Can’t decide between these two

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^Blader^^

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve got a Camo jacket , if that helps? maybe the frog is just too much green?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Anyone else suffer from tight hip flexors? I had some lessons last week and it was pointed out that I was struggling a little with body separation and turning from the hip because I have very tight hip flexors. Anyone recommend some stretches/exercises?

wallop

Very common for cyclists – there are some good videos of appropriate stretches on YouTube. Look for a stretch which is an extension of a lunge.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Gorgeous conditions in Meribel this morning. Hard, fast pistes, a bit of soft stuff off the sides and sunshine galore. All change tonight though. The next few days will mainly be spent shovelling snow and riding the big board. Mahoosive dump of snow forecast…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,995 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season’ is closed to new replies.