• This topic has 1,994 replies, 143 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,995 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Jesus H Christ! 😯

Very cool vid! 8)

nedrapier

I can’t work it out though, only had one look and at work now. Whats parts are ‘fake’ or staged or edited etc?

I think the only cleverness is in putting it together. The getting ready to leave bits – look up to the sky on the balcony, look back down and you’re on the piste – set the scene for editing together shorter clips to make it look like one cut.

All the jumps were jumped – just probably not in the one or two runs it looks like it took him. He’ll have had spotters to tell him the landings were clear, keep people out of the way, and he certainly scoped them all out beforehand!

Nicely choreographed to set off and set speed to time it right with the slalom skier and the chairlift. I’d be impressed if they got the slalom course jump in one!

makkag
    Free Member

Stevomcd – Thanks for the info , I arrive in Borg next Saturday morning staying in Chalet Tin Tin any further on the spot updates re conditions would be appreciated!- happy with the weather report.

Jambalaya
    We have a guide sorted thanks, spent the week with him last year in Les Arcs and he is such a dude we booked him for this year !

GrahamS

Nice vid that. Very clever editing. I had to laugh at the various people on Facebook etc who took it at completely face value and said he was a danger and should be banned from the resort etc. 🙄

In contrast here is Jamie Nicholls doing a run at the Hemel Hempstead snowdome.

[video]http://vimeo.com/113098945[/video]

Kahurangi

I’m staying in North Vancouver with the GF at her brothers. Whistler on Monday? (for the day) 🙂

We have 3 days there the week after and might have a bit of a road trip later next week in search of good snow

wallop

Morzine today! 8)

igm

Oooh! How lucky are you?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quick question for those with kids of school ages…

I’m guessing half term ski is from weekend of 14/15 Feb (and consequently, the weeks either side of this are also inflated), but which are the Easter skiiing holiday weeks? Possibly thinking of squeezing a week in between these two holidays with one toddler so not bound by holidays (yet!!).

igm

May not be the same everywhere, but Saturday 28th is the first week of the Easter high in Les Gets. The week immediately prior (going out on the 21st) is normally very cheap, quiet and in the past warm (for outdoor toddlers) and decent snow cover.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks Iain…I’ll hunt around for the first few weeks of March then. 🙂

dd junior is just turned two. 😡 he’s at an awkward time when he starts costing a lot of money and doesn’t do much in return. 😀

igm

If you can risk not getting it, Ski Famille sometimes discount heavily in the last week or two.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ski Famille

Am keeping an eye on their site…sill flipping expensive though when we have to add their childcare on top. An unexpectedly low tax bill for mrs dd and I means we can afford to go for once (Jan being usually a bastard of a month for the self-employed). I was getting excited about familyski’s prices too until I realised they don’t include travel. 😳

wallop

Left the house at 4.45 – on the slopes by midday. Conditions are absolutely smashing. Few icy patches but it has been a gorgeous day.

http://instagram.com/p/yACJYWoHoC/ (I am an honorary boy for the week).

cobrakai

Off to morzine on the 31st. Was worried but not now.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m staying in North Vancouver with the GF at her brothers. Whistler on Monday? (for the day)

A fair bit of snow forecast today and tonight but Blackcomb lifts are/were all shut earlier due to the wind! So hopefully tomorrow will have a good amount of fresh snow to play in.

Also, make sure you get up early, there was as 2 mile long tailback of cars trying to get into the village at 8:30 this morning.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wallop, nice photo. Not been too many days this season like that.

wallop

Another great day skiing today. Headed up to Avoriaz and into Les Crosets. Visibility has been poor all day so I had to rein in my progress a bit today, but still managed to get the odd mogully run in. Piste conditions are great and more snow due overnight.

Went to an igloo bar in Avoriaz which didn’t serve any red drinks (for obvious reasons) but the vin chaud blanc was rank:

View this post on Instagram

Cool igloo bar in #avoriaz

A post shared by Jen Raison (@jenraison) on

Husband took a nice shot from the lift over in Suisse:

View this post on Instagram

Day trip to #Switzerland #ski #morzine #pds

A post shared by Stuart Raison (@sturaison) on

GrahamS

Tell him he wants to get that lens looked at – it’s all blurry at the edges 😉

wallop

😆

toby1

Roll on the 31st, val Thorens I’m coming for you!

scotroutes

Nice day out
    [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7ufgfzCMAERpf_.jpg[/img]

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There was still some reasonably fresh pow to be found on Blackcomb this morning after yesterdays wind closed most of the lifts. Arthur’s Choice (above) was a lot of fun.

wallop

Nice pics!

Kahurangi

whatnobeer – we had a fun day playing around the Whistler side, especially once they opened up the alpine. The freshies disappeared pretty quickly but that’s OK as I’m much more competent in tracked out off-piste than fresh powder! 😈

Also got a taste of the trees in the Symphony & Harmony basins. 😕

Given the weather forecast we might spend this week mostly on bikes though.

funkhouser
    Free Member

i like the ‘goggles on in the mirror’ bit myself! (back on the Candale Thovex vid…)

NZCol

Bit of a random one, anyone got any suggestions for a good boot fitter in Edinburgh. Fussy ex-ski instructor who needs to replace boots there is no way i can get in any more.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Whatnobeer’s pic looks great. Get in those trees. Not quite apocalypse POW but pretteey pretteeey good!

wallop

POWDER!!!!!!!1

nbt

Head up to see Alain Baxter in Stirling?

http://www.alainbaxter.co.uk/

NZCol

Thought about that – anyone been and got reports on the process ?

nbt

Worth asking over on snowheads.com. The usual answer on there for boot firring is Colin @ Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester, or Graham @ Rivington Alpine in Bolton. I’m sure there’ll be someone who’s used Alain Baxter or can recommend someone else in Edinburgh

geoffj

Wasn’t too shabby yesterday.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just wondering, does anyone buy second hand skis? What are the issues if any apart from scratches etc?

Only i saw some Scott skis that looked ideal. ❓

nbt

can be good, can be bad. Bought some movement gladiators that had been used for a couple of weeks and they’ve been great, I’ve had several weeks on them. Previously bought some pocket rockets but had to get the bindings redrilled after some “optimistic” measuring by the vendor (yeah sure they’ll fit your boots, they fitted my sisters boots and she’s the same size – always measure boot sole length…)

On the other hand my mate bought some Storm Devastators and loved them, got two weeks out of them then the edge came away on the tail. Apparently it’s a known design flaw on storm skis.

ddmonkey

My season so far…. Got new board and boots, went out on Dec 23rd, great set up super responsive and poppy, got excited despite icy conditions, caught heel edge and broke wrist. Been snow-shoeing a few times since with three pins in wrist, if there is a big powder dump in April I may get out again this season but I doubt it, ho hum 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

Thanks nbt. Oh dear ddmonkey….not good!

I’m still nursing a sore shoulder from New Years eve in Austria. Realised I had gone the wrong way and saw a track to go up which needed some speed….must have dropped into a hole cos the next thing I remember was landing on my head and shoulder.

Really, really hurt! Was seeing stars! 🙁

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Just wondering, does anyone buy second hand skis? What are the issues if any apart from scratches etc?

I’m currently on a 2nd hand pair of Rossi S3s from aobut 3 years ago. They’d been well used, but well looked after as far as I can tell. Inspected the edges as well as the base surface and looked for any scratches, core shots, missing chunks etc. If they look in good nick, I’d for it.

whatnobeer – we had a fun day playing around the Whistler side, especially once they opened up the alpine. The freshies disappeared pretty quickly but that’s OK as I’m much more competent in tracked out off-piste than fresh powder!

Also got a taste of the trees in the Symphony & Harmony basins.

Sounds like you had a good day! Conditions were great again today, a little ice on the lower half, but the alpine was skiing really well. I love the bowls on Symphony and Harmony 😀

bluebird
    Free Member

10 days until we head to Japan, why is time going so slow?

nedrapier

Inspected the edges as well as the base surface and looked for any scratches, core shots, missing chunks etc.

Also old the ski up to your eye and squint down the edge – sometimes the edge can be bent by an impact on a tree stump that hasn’t taken chunks out of the edge or base.

Sometimes they’re meant to be wibbly, but that should be obvious!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m on the scrounge…

We’re taking deadlydarcy junior with us first/second week in March but don’t have any snow kit for him – I guess we’d need a suit or salopettes & jacket. He’s just gone two, and (surprise surprise) is a shortarse. Is anybody getting rid of toddler kit? Our budget is toight!! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,995 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season’ is closed to new replies.