• This topic has 601 replies, 97 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 602 total)
  • The STW Ski and Snowboard thread: 2021-2022 Season
  • highlandman
    Free Member

@Tom-B Lots of telemarkers in Scotland; ditch the trainer heels and go straight to proper skiing. I think I’m right in saying that I know more folk up here who free the heel than those who ski & board put together.
    The way we use the snow and the turn profiles of a telemarker are much closer to those of a snowboard than that of alpine skiers. Yes, it’s more physical and more technical than alpine downhilling but it’s very rewarding indeed.
    In a way, there’s a hint of the steel hardtail about telemarking, if you get my drift.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I’ve done a bit of Tele, a good turn does give a good feeling, that’s for sure.
    Certainly a bit of the Steel HT analogy going on..
    My knees were what stopped me going more, wish I had started earlier.
    Skiing with the kids at Easter, maybe a chance to free the heels again?

cobrakai

I’ve been tellieing for 20 years now. Changed from duck bil to NTN a few years back. Don’t feel as pure but when I get knackered they can be more forgiving to ski alpine.

toby1

Last day in the 3valleys today, first sign of cloud and cold wind, still no fresh snow for those coming next week, the slopes are getting incredibly compacted and ropey is some areas.

Overall though it’s been an amazing week, all the staff everywhere we have been have been excellent. I love how friendly people are in the mountains. There’s been a lot of sun and no snow for a while so the pisteuers are doing what they can given what they have to work with.

I’ve missed being out here, it’s genuinely excellent.

smokey_jo

Finally off on our twice postponed trip to Austria tomorrow, over 2 years since I bought my skis they are getting their first run out on Sunday

toby1

7 hours into the journey home and we are sat on the runway at Geneva still. Remind me to drive in the thread for the 22/23 season please!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Toby1. Been there done that at Chambery. Driving has always been pretty smooth for us. I quite like the drive if I’m honest. 4 in a car = less co2 than flying.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

Was planning to head out to Austria tomorrow. Tested positive for Covid yesterday. Aaargh.

It was a self organised thing with my dad so was pretty cheap.

I think I know the answer to this but there is no such thing as amazing last minute package deals any more for when I’m recovered are there? It would be just me.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Easy to get a flight. Transfers were talked about earlier in the thread. Quite costly at the moment as are hire cars.
    Choose your resort well and train would be a good option. Briancon would be easy by train, Chamonix also. Fly into Innsbruck lots of options from there. Always more costly for a single traveller.

julians
    Free Member

Been there done that at Chambery.

Chambery is known for it, I won’t fly to chambery as it’s so unreliable.

Geneva is usually fine though, flown to and from there many times with no issue.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Agree, Geneva is usually fairly reliable especially for the budget airlines ime. Only done Chambery once never again.

scuttler

Was planning to head out to Austria tomorrow. Tested positive for Covid yesterday. Aaargh.

Triple jabbed woulda meant no test for Austria. Commiserations all the same.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

I am triple jabbed. Developed symptoms and got tested and came back positive.

Bunnyhop

So sorry that covid has stopped some of you getting a holiday.

There’s been a light dusting of snow here in the Tarentaise Valley. Much needed as there hasn’t been any for the last 3 weeks. High temperatures due later in the week.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Just back from Sauze yesterday.

A proper mixed bag of conditions very limited snow cover on most runs with loads of icy patches.
    Snow on Friday and Saturday helped but with reduced visibility.
    Nothing we couldn’t handle as most of us are used to Scottish conditions.

All in it was a great week, not sure if I would be in a hurry to go back though!

scuttler

I am triple jabbed. Developed symptoms and got tested and came back positive.

Super-bummer.

epynt
    Free Member

I’m heading out to Austria tomorrow for the first time in over 2 years. Excited doesn’t even come close. Anyone know what conditions are like in the Vorarlberg area at the moment? I’m staying in Feldkirch so plenty of options on where to ski.

Pierre

There’s been a light dusting of snow here in the Tarentaise Valley.

Damnit! We got back yesterday. Things were looking a bit brown and / or slushy…

Mrs. Pierre is considering a trip to La Plagne in early April, I’m hoping there’ll be snow left there by then.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

@epynt don’t know what the conditions are like but I highly recommend Damuls for skiing. Nice and high and a great atmosphere.

paul0
    Free Member

Depending on when your symptoms started you may be able to salvage the last couple of days of the trip ?

epynt
    Free Member

Cheers meikle, I’ll make sure to check out Damuls

phil5556

I’m in Verbier at the moment, last day of 4 tomorrow.

Snow has been OK considering it hasn’t snowed for weeks, but pistes are hard in the morning and chopped up or hard & scraped by the afternoon. Anything easily accessible off piste isn’t great, plenty of moguls on the natur runs – not snowboard friendly.

I’m pining for a powder day!

We’re in the camper again so heading somewhere else tomorrow, Serre Che has had a bit of fresh this morning, might try there on Wednesday.

Anyone got any live reports of fresh snow anywhere??

ocrider

The massif Central got a huge dump over the weekend.
    My nearest ski hill (mont Aigoual) which has been closed for over a month due to lack of snow will be open again this weekend after receiving 1.5m. That’s not to say that I’d drive there from the Alps to go ride, it can be hard enough to gather up the motivation from here, 75 minutes away!

giant_scum
    Free Member

I’ve been added to the list of covid casualties after our ski trip.
    That’s 5 out of the group of 40 so far!

toby1

Negative for me this morning and feeling ok after a couple of mammoth sleep sessions since getting back Saturday.

Go careful on those well used slopes, there’s some hard-packed pistes out there!

phil5556

Some surprise snow in Verbier this morning.

OK so it’s heavy wet sticky “powder” but it’s the best I’ve seen for about 3 years now 😁😁

phil5556

I’m solo this morning because my skier wife decided to have a snowboard lesson 2 days before we came away and has managed ski the first 3 days but suspects she might have done some actual damage to her ass. She can barely move today.

Edukator
    Free Member

Orange snow today. An orange car too (it’s usually blue). Still plenty of snow, fresh high up. I’m just spectating with man flu and a season’s worth of fatigue in my legs.

Padded shorts for learning to snowboard.

phil5556

Padded shorts for learning to snowboard.

Definitely.

She’s boarded in the past, thought she’d have a refresher and then hire a board for a couple of days on holiday.

Her boarding days are now over.

cchris2lou

I havent skied at Mt Aigoual in years. It is good for xcountry skiing but not enough for alpine.
    Better to drive to the Pyrénées.

ocrider

Exactly, cchris2lou!

phil5556

Orange snow today. An orange car too (it’s usually blue).

Ah!

Someone here has just said about “Saharan sand” and I just assumed it was a term for rubbish sticky snow that I hadn’t heard before 🙄. I’ve just twigged, after looking at the top of the van, that it’s actual sand.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Where are you planning on staying in Serre Che Phil?

I ask as:

A. I’d like to go there at some point.
    B. We’re doing our maiden motorhome ski trip first week of April and other than the Ferry don’t have anything booked yet!

phil5556

@Tom-B you give me too much credit here and assume I’ve made any plan 🤣🤣

Apparently there’s an Aire in Monetier Le Bains (sp?) that is €15 a night.

We’re still in Verbier though, going to head there or somewhere else in the morning.

Have you found the Winterised FB group? Quite handy for info on places to stay etc.

@ocrider
    I think we’ll give that a miss cheers! Did think about heading to the Pyrenees though.

ocrider

Yeah, I wouldn’t bother either @phil5556

Tom-B
    Free Member

@phil5556 yeah just realised whom you are from that group!

Looks like a nice day in Verbier at least.

Bunnyhop

Yes it was weird skiing on the Sahara sand coloured snow.

Rained here in Sainte Foy last night, but put down 3 cm of heavy snow (and sand) up at the top.
    Great day skiing wise, a bit choppy but better than the hard packed pistes of last week. Everything fabulous until our friend got caught in the very choppy snow, fell hard (he’s a big lad) and a trip to the local medical centre suggests a broken wrist. This can’t be confirmed until a scan tomorrow in Bourg St Maurice. Oh dear!

Edukator
    Free Member

phil5556

@Edukator it’s not that bad here, but the roof of the van definitely had some on it.

Looks like a nice day in Verbier at least.

before lunch was great, afternoon was hard work but I’ll take it over what we’ve had up until now. Still haven’t decided where we’re going in the morning 🤔

toby1

Les Mens definitely had a dusty coating on all the cars last week, and the weather was weirdly warm during the days a lot of the time (saw +16 on some chairs)!

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 602 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.