Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • The STW Singley Mingley Swinley Ride
  • dashed
    Free Member

The start to the blue trail behind the lookout (postcode rg12 1us). I’d allow a bit of time for parking etc. Coral Reef is another option for parking if the lookout is full…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That postcode puts me in the middle of Priestwood according to Streetmap UK. I’ve never been to Swinley Park before and I’m not sure I could find the start of the “blue trail”. Is it signposted from the Centre?

DezB
    Free Member

Try this Mr Woppit
    Go Ape.. is in the same car park.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Excellent.

dashed
    Free Member

There’s some directions earlier in this thread too. Email in my profile – drop me a note if you want my mobile no in case you get lost… Goes for anyone.

frogstomp

I’m down for the Epic too.. and it’s going to be tough! Not been out on the roadie for a few weeks so I’m counting on last week’s altitude training in the Alps to pull me through (although not sure if it counts if it’s mostly down-hill!) 😆

Can’t help thinking I’ve shot myself in the foot rather by praying for good weather… will be making the most of the 7:15am start interval to get some miles (and Coombe Gibbet / Vernham Dean hills) in before it warms up too much…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Last-minute bumpy. (Is excited)

gary

If you see someone shuffling around looking lost on a white rocky mountain, that will be me 🙂

maxtorque

I’ll be the epically overbiked one (160mm lapierre complete with DH tyres after a week in the alps, and i can’t be bothered to swap back to my normal setup!)

frogstomp

Salsa clown-bike for me…

frogstomp

Hmm, got a bit too frazzled at Goodwood yesterday so I’m out.. have fun y’all!

maxtorque

In a shock move today, STW members were actually photographed on real bikes and not just online:

Cheers Guys & Girls, that was fun!

dashed
    Free Member

Good ride – cheers all 😀

Bit warm though – that cold beer when I got in hardly touched the sides 8)

footflaps

So what’s the sp? Was it one huge testosterone fuelled orgy of writhing bodies?

maxtorque

You’ve seen me attempting to clear a double then footflaps?? 😉

It was HOT & SWEATY however!

missnotax
    Free Member

Great – albeit damn hot – afternoon 🙂

Lovely to meet everyone!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Terrific day. My first go at the “new” Swinley trails and I think they’re really impressive. Challenging for me through the twisty-turny stuff on the “Labrynth”…

Cherry on the cake was the helmet-less alien biker flying down the most extreme bit of red-trail downhill. He seemed to be turning corners in the air. HOW did he do that?

Photo – from left to right: “gary”/”Woppit”/”dashed”/”missnotax”.

maxtorque is behind the cleverly-disguised camera.

Big thanks to dashed for organising and guidance. 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Also, I think a special mention should go to maxtorque’s impressively lacerated lower limbs and seeming fondness for collecting an extensive range of niche biking injuries…

gary

Yes, thanks for kicking off the idea here, great to check out the new trails on a fantastic day with good company. Will definitely have to go back to revisit some of those jumpy sections 🙂

frogstomp

Me too 😯

How did you get on? I foolishly stuck with the Epic route and baked.. got round in just over 9 hours (with one puncture).

missnotax
    Free Member

Ahh… Brave man! Standard route for me – *only* 80 miles which we did in just under 5 and a half hours. It was absolutely roasting!! There’s no way I could have done an additional 40 miles or so on top of what I did!!!

Slogging up some of those hills in blazing sunshine and what must have been 30 degrees was an interesting experience…!

gary

I presume the riders coming through Stockbridge were doing the Magnificat? Saw lots going through while I roasted gently outside the tea room. My garmin was reading 30 degrees from about midday.

frogstomp

Yup, that was us… about 35 miles in.

Bloody good effort! I was feeling good up to the split (including 50km/50 mile PBs) but then just blew up in the heat from 60 miles on..

dashed
    Free Member

You’re both mad!! 😀

Mr Woppit – did I read another thread where you said you could now claim winter fuel payments?? Clearly a benfits cheat – no way the bloke I met on Saturday was 60!! 😯

MrWoppit
    Free Member

62 end of the month, aksherly old boy.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV4Ie6IcL0c[/video]

missnotax
    Free Member

Crikey Mr Woppit!

You’re both mad!!

Yes – I can only speak for myself – but quite possibly 😆

Bizarrely my feet hurt the most from stupid shoes rubbing – that’ll teach me for trying to look all smart and roadie-like, I should have worn my manky but comfy MTB ones!!

frogstomp

I was mad not to take the 80 mile split, I’ll tell you that for nowt! Soles of feet and palms of hands (no gloves) are a bit tender but other than that I was surprised how bad I didn’t feel this morning…

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘The STW Singley Mingley Swinley Ride’ is closed to new replies.