Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • The STW 2010 Good Pub Guide
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Let's be having your nominations, please!

From me;

The Malet, Newton Tony (Wilts) – Simply perfect country pub. Great beer, great service, great food, thanks Noel! This has to be my personal favourite, bar none.

Some others, in no particular order;

The Sloop, Bantham (Devon) – Food, beer, location, all top notch.

The White Horse, Parson's Green (That London's Famous London) – If you like beer, you simply won't find a better pub.

The Three Cups, Stockbridge (Hants) – Friendly, well run little pub.

Farmer's Inn, West Hatch (Summerrrrzet) – Great place, really like it. Spent a very drunken evening on the port and cigars in the garden there earlier this year!

Nag's Head, Kinnerton Street (That London's Famous London) – A REAL pub. No frills, no nothing. Oh, and no mobile phones. Seriously, no mobile phones!

So, come on, hivemind, let's have your personal recommendations.

rOcKeTdOg

southern pubs in good beer shocker! i suppose it had to happen one day 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

the one that's nearest
    or failing that the nearest one that's open

Stoner
    Free Member

The Nags Head, Malvern. 12 real ales on at anyone time (4 reg, 8 guest)

and a load of other local ones down this way that no-one will ever visit. We're blessed with superb pubs and excellent beer (i.e. not northern syrupy shite with whipped cream on top)

CHB

The Palace is my current fave.
    Just near Leeds Parish church, huddled in the shaddow of Daffys flat.
    Nice selection of beer and good customer mix.

IHN

The Jolly Brewmaster, Cheltenham. GREAT beer.

The Queen's Head, Longford (nr Gloucester). Great home-cooked food and great beer.

The Farmer's Arms, Guiting Power. Good beer, always welcoming (even to muddy/wet/smelly MTBrs).

Stoner
    Free Member

I prefer the plough at Ford IHN.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Too many in Bristol to mention…and it's best to keep these things to ourselves. And plenty in Bath too, surprisingly.

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

My vote goes to any of the countless Banks pubs in the Black Country although it's tough for me to vote against the aforementioned Sloop at Bantham.

Stoner
    Free Member

Banks

dear god, no.
    You'll be singing the praises of Marstons soon as well, wont you?

deluded
    Free Member

The Black Horse, Clapton-In-Gordano, North Somerset. Great cider that includes Black Rat, which makes the ride home more interesting up Naish Hill.

The Barn, Wraxall, North Somerset. Convivial with a pleasant atmosphere.

Agree with deadlydarcy but excluding anything on North Street.

luke
    Free Member

Agree with the three cups
    And i'll chuck the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers in to the mix

teagirl
    Free Member

Agree with luke.
    Also The Brown Cow at Bingley, Tim Taylors ale and you can park and go biking from there.
    The Bear, Alderwasley
    Pub at Low Newton by the Sea, (nr Embleton, Northumberland) can't just fink of name.

stealthcat

Mildly shocked that someone else knows the Sloop, but it's obviously improved since I used to go down there… Is the bar still made of boats? I might have to try to get back down there sometime this year!

bintangman
    Free Member

The Boat at Penalt, near Monmouth. Local ales straight from the barrell and a cat to sit on your lap. Some tasty singletrack hidden around as well.

http://www.theboatpenallt.co.uk/home.html

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pub at Low Newton by the Sea, (nr Embleton, Northumberland) can't just fink of name.

The Ship. Rubbish. Don't go there. Especially not for the spicy bean and tomato soup. Not at all. Terrible. 😉

+1 for the Square and Compass!

Stealthcat, I grew up around the Salcombe Estuary (The right side of the estuary though, I might add….), of course people know the Sloop! Seems to be a very well run pub at the moment. Very well run indeed.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Fighting C0ck, Bradford, if it's still there. Great choice of real ales, but I haven't eaten there. You don't go to the FC for the food…

Lord Darcy, Alwoodley, Leeds. One of the many favourite haunts of North Leeds MTB. Several real ales, and decent food too

The Fisherman's, Bingley. Haven't been for a while, but some great riding from there too (short ride from The Brown Cow as mentioned above)

The Sun Inn, Norwood, near Harrogate. Great riding nearby in the Washburn Valley, including Stainburn if that floats your boat, and decent ales for afterwards

marsdenman
    Free Member

Riverhead – Marsden – 12 ales or so on the go, 8 or so are 'homebrew'
    Sportsman and The Grove in Huddersfield
    The Marble (& others I forget) in Manchester

*note – I is a lager drinker** so the above may not be true……. 😉
    **being weaned onto lighter ales at the mo 😉

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

Banks

dear god, no.
    You'll be singing the praises of Marstons soon as well, wont you?

🙄 Whatever mate.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The Durham Ox in Crayke.
    The Rose & Crown Sutton on the Forrest.
    The Blue Bell in Alne

All serve great food, and a decent pint too.

millsonwheels
    Free Member

my 'Favourite-Ever-Pub-That-Was-Called-The-Nag's-Head' was in Rochester. Great jukebox, pool table roast dinner inside a big yorkshire pudding and a landlady with biiiig hair who was also (and on quiet afternoons, sometimes simultaneously) a fortune teller. I believe Angie has gone but the jukebox is still an oasis of taste in the cultural desert of the Medway.

From anniversary weekend recently spent down there I also like the Old Mill House in Polperro. Nice selection of real ale all at less than £2.60 a pint (lager is more hahahaha!), good cheap-ish food, loooads of local fresh fish, real fire, friendly cats, nice sofas, pile of board games in the corner. Yum.

dropoff

Ship Inn, Porlock

pegasus
    Free Member

Cwmann Tavern nr. Lampeter for real ale and scrumpy on tap, only 8 miles from home on my local road ride.

Ambrose

Where to start…
    Royal Oak, Rhandirmwyn.
    – for Mynydd Mallaen, Doethie Valley and Cwmrhayadr. Chris the barman is an ex Fullers? brewer. Lee, his predecessor kept a good pint and Chris is doing a really good job too. Open fire, three or four guest ales, a 3, a 4, and a 5. Plus a good cider too. We have lunch there every Christmas day and have done so for the best part of a decade. Fantastic bar food, now even better.

The Ancient Briton, Penycae, near Abercraf. Perfect for a pint or two after the stupendous descents into the Upper Swansea Valley. A regular watering hole. Missed my most recent pint there (Butty Bach) whem Kim went and fell off and ended up in A+E, the inconsiderate sod 😉 real Ale, real fire, allow dirty boots as does the Royal Oak.

The Wern, YstalyferaA stunning pub in the least likely of settings. A regular champion brewer for many years. Pork scrathings and pickled eggs too. Fabulous clientele. A treasure trove of artefacts in the bare boarded bar, inc an OMO packet priced at 1/3! If you like old bricks, mining memorabilia, foul jokes (pinned up in the unheated, prehistoric toilets) mummers or Amazing beer- this is the place to go. Some decent riding too, but it takes a bit of finding. Unlike the previously mentioned pubs, no beer garden.

Rose and Crown, Rhosaman
    Lovely old traditional miners vilage pub/hotel. Good beer, pig snacks, lively locals who also ride bikes- like the bloke who bought an electric bike and rode it to Mumbles, Swansea, approx 20 miles away. Battery died, he had to pedal back. He's 70? years old and to quote 'had an arse like a f'ing blood orange' Class act.

And then there is the Wernoleu Hotel, now rebranded as the Ammanford Hotel- another regular Camra award winner. A lovely beer garden with some serious steps to be ridden. Free food too on occasion!

Out of Wales we have

The Plough Inn, Coldharbour landlady has sometimes seemed tetchy, but beer good and some reasonable 🙂 riding close by.

Found this place in the Quantocks- blummin great, must get back soon.

And finally, maybe my favorite hostelry of all…

L'Abricotine, Les Brocheau
    or maybe here…

La Lapisa. Some of the best cheese I've ever eaten!

or here Lac Vert, Refuge de Chesery

or here…Chalet Floria, La Praz, Chamonix– AMAZING views, service is superb, situation cannot be faulted

Ambrose

pegasus- good choice. I forgot to mention the Black Lion in Pontrhydfendigaid too. It's a good place. As is the Teifi Pool Inn.Tafarn y Groes, Ffair Rhos They have sorted us grand several times in the past for Christmas meals, and given us coal and wood for the bothy too. Beer good as well.

tiggs121
    Free Member

No shortage of decent pubs – we all have our favourites in our local area

Her'es mine – after having been in it for a while!!

Golden Bannock – known locally as "The Dipper" in Lauder

and

Clarks Bar – Edinburgh

The Bridge Inn – Peebles

Eagle and Child – Staveley

Staggs Bar – Musselburgh

Taybank – Dunkeld

Ship Inn – Broughty Ferry

oh dear – I could go on….

simonralli2
    Free Member

I am mosty enjoying The White Hart at Buckfastleigh. Great food and a nice pint of Jail Ale.

ton

riverhead……marsden
    rose and crown………thurstonland
    barge and barrel…….elland
    rosebud…….carleton
    gaping goose……garforth
    sun inn………coniston
    traquair arms…….innerleithen

all pubs used in 09 after rides and caked in mud
    all with stonking beer…………proper beer. 8)

tiggs121
    Free Member

Traquair Arms!!! lol

Like sitting in someones living room!!

ton

depends on the company tiggs………… 😉

igm

CFH

The White Horse, Parson's Green (That London's Famous London) – If you like beer, you simply won't find a better pub.

Is that the one I know as the Sloaney Pony?

tiggs121
    Free Member

Ton

very true – apologies!

porterclough
    Free Member

The Three Stags Heads, Wardlow Mires, Derbyshire deserves a mention. Two very small rooms, just like you've walked into someone's cottage. At first you might think of the Slaughtered Lamb from An American Werewolf in London, but it serves excellent beer and really good home cooked food. Just don't step on the dog, ask for lager, or use your mobile.

tommytowtruck

The Black Dog just outside Dalton and the Spinners Arms in Adlington.

montylikesbeer

2nd the three stags, a dam fine ale house, also mind the owls and falcons in the main bar (I kid you not)

However I am drawn to the Hargreaves Arms (rossendale), bank top ales and moorehouse beers, does it get any better than that.

woody2000

Ton – if you liked the Barge and Barrel, come back along the road to Brighouse and pop into the Red Rooster, great little boozer with a good selection of beer. Also the Cock O'The North at Hipperholme – a pub/microbrewery in a portacabin!

The Works in Sowerby Bridge is also worth a visit.

pegasus
    Free Member

sorry for hijack, but Ambrose are you local? If so fancy a (pub crawl), sharing some knowledge?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

My Local
    Not saying where, dont want it ruined by southern jessies.

schmiken

The Dove – Ipswich. Sublime.

thv3
    Free Member

+1 for the Traquair Arms

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘The STW 2010 Good Pub Guide’ is closed to new replies.