Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • The STW 2010 Good Pub Guide
  • nockmeister
    Free Member

Leathers Smithy – Macc Forest

Philby

The Crown – Churchill,Somerset

diggers
    Free Member
    noteeth
    Free Member

The Crown, Churchill.

Hunters Lodge, Priddy.

Sandwich

To go with the Dove, The Fat Cat, good ale (loses points for dog prohibition). Heard good things about the Brewery Tap but not been
    Kings Head Orford, beer ok, food great.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

My current favourites where I now live… which is Ulverston in Cumbria

The Swan many real ales, not expensive, proper fire, can take my dog in. Good music when it's on too.

The Stan Laurel many real ales, good food, proper fire, can take my dog in.

The Mill many real ales (£2 a pint for January), many good whiskys, some magnificent European beers (including Liefmans on draught), good pizza… alas I can't take my dog in and there is no fire.

The Kings Head Jennings pub, ancient place with a medieval well, a fire, and I can take my dog in. More beer choice would be nice though.

ski
    Free Member

Another vote for the Nags Head in Malvern, neatly located for a mid or end of ride pint 😉

Great one to visit in the summer and chill in the Beer garden, The Brandy Cast – Pershore.

http://www.brandycask.pershoretown.com/

Neat Pub Guide to Worcestershire here:

http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cider_Pub_Guide_to_Worcestershire

Ambrose

pegasus, I'm in Garnant near Ammanford.

lunge

The Waggon and Horse, Halesowen – Proper real ale pub, 15 different beers on tap, no bells or whistles, just a good, proper pub

The Vine, Clent – Perfect for a mid ride pint and the food is superb

The Maverick, near Stourbridge – Real ale, live music and very strange locals, what more could you need?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some great suggestions here, keep 'em coming! Worth keeping an eye on to plan any bike trips this year, I reckon! I feel a trip to Worcestershire coming on (Was at school there for a while, lovely part of the world!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3 stags +1 so many good nights I cant remember them all

Bitter end in Cockermouth bit foody now but has its own brewery

Kirkstile – Loweswater

The Jerusalem Tavern London town Pub Linky

JulianA
    Free Member

noteeth – Member

Hunters Lodge, Priddy.

Awful pub! Is it still run by Roger Dawes, the man who makes you feel as though he's doing you a favour by serving you? And serves poisonous beer into the bargain?

Always preferred the New Inn in Priddy proper – used to serve good food and beer…

That was a few years ago when I was a member of a certain caving club (the BEC…)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Malt and Hops , the Shore, Leith.

Small old docklands boozer thats now both an ale bar with 8 real ales and a locals booozer with a real fire.

BoardinBob

snowslave

The 3 Stags is mental – only been once and had an absolute riot. It was a brilliant pub.

Stoner
    Free Member

CFH – youd be more than welcome in Worcs. Just drop me a line.

BoradinBob – I always wonder why the Scots cant do decent pubs, and then I see something like that… 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Exactly what noteeth said:
    The Crown, Churchill
    The Hunters' Lodge, Priddy.

Plus I've always liked:
    The Queen Victoria in Priddy
    Eli's in Huish Episcopi

lister

The Speculation, nr Hundleton.
    Turks Head, Rothbury.
    The Victory, Gosforth.
    The Westleigh (circa 1995).

Spud

The Keanes Head – Nottingham
    Dixey's Arms – Bagthorpe
    The Grampus – Lee
    Cheshire Cheese – Hope (although it may now be chain-owned :cry:)
    Schwanen Brau – Bernhausen (Stuttgart)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Roger Dawes, the man who makes you feel as though he's doing you a favour by serving you? And serves poisonous beer into the bargain?"

He didn't know you or people you were with? It takes three months of regular visits to get past that. Then another 6 months. After that, he's a great guy and gives you nice stuff!

Anyhow. Eli's Linky here

i_am_JC
    Free Member

The Bell and Bear nr. Blackheath (West Mids).

My mate doesn't like it because they don't serve Strongbow, they have Stowford Press Cider instead. Also, sometimes pops up in the Camra magazines and usually has a couple of ales on tap, though not from Microbrewerys. It certainly beats the places we tend to drop into in Brum (where cheap is the watchword).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My mate doesn't like it because they don't serve Strongbow, they have Stowford Press Cider

🙄

i_am_JC
    Free Member

Yeah, he's a disgrace. Still he can drink what he likes. I'm happy down there!

tiggs121
    Free Member

TJ – I agree – Malt and Hops is worthy of a mention.

The Louden Tavern is not!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Ambrose/Pegasus

sounds like we could arrange a wobble ride sometime??

My vote for my local would be Red Cow Inn, Llywdcoed, great beer always a guest beer on or too – The landlord Ray knows how to keep a pint and Tracey his wife is an awesome cook/chef and rustles up a good feed, hoping to establish it as a midweek ride waterhole/with scran this spring/summer

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thread resurrection as a counterbalance to the "why are pubs dying" thread!

Can I put a vote in for the Phoenix, on Palace St in that London's Famous London? Lovely beer, great service. Busy on a Thursday, mind you!

smiffy

And i'll chuck the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers in to the mix
    The Boat at Penalt, near Monmouth

Both faves of mine. I'd add the Lamb and Fox at Pwll-du and of course my brilliant local The Jolly Colliers at Waunllapria, Llanellyhill, totally MTB-friendly.

smiffy

+1 The Crown
    The Clytha Arms, Rhaglan

djglover
    Free Member

The Plough, The Foresters, the Rose and Crown, the Castle and the Red Lion, all in Ealing all good

lowey

The Belmont Bull.

A fine country Local, welcomes dirty bikers in all weathers. Great locals, great staff and the Landlord is a craftsman when it comes to keeping ale.

His cellar is like a place of worship.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Missed this the first time round. Great idea for a thread; here's a couple more..

Derby.
    The Flower Pot
    Brunswick Inn

Derbyshire.
    Old Oak Inn in Horsley Woodhouse
    The Red Lion Inn in Birchover (it's now surpassed the sadly over-rated Druids Inn)

Turks Head, Rothbury.

Ha. I nearly remember drunken teenage nights in the basement there many moons ago (tbh, it might also have been the Newcastle Arms). I can only guess it's moved upmarket in the intervening years, but then again I hear Rothbury has as a whole.

The Monkey @ Defford. No real bar so stand out in the orchard with your home brew jake.

Some cracking pubs out west of the Malverns, like the Stag at Titley, Live & let Live Bringsty Common, Bridge Inn Kentchurch, Green Dragon Bishops Frome to mention a few.

allthepies
    Free Member

Brunswick Inn + 1

and while we're in Derby – The Falstaff http://www.falstaffbrewery.co.uk/index.php

ton

the ruhr goch inn is nice too.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

The Falstaff! I've not been there for a few years – i see they've had a doing up. Looks great!

speaker2animals

Coach & Horses-Hanley, Greyhound-Hartshill, Post Office Vaults, Leopard & Bulls Head-Burslem, The Swan-Stone, The Greyhound and The Spittal Brook-Stafford, The Brittania Inn-Elterwater, The Dolphin-Derby, Den Engel & Wilkes Head-Leek, Britain's Protection, ODD Bar, Fringe Bar & The Marble Inn-Manchester, The Blue Bell-Hardings Wood. Admiral Nelson and Swan Hotel-Southwold.

I think that's enough to be going on with.

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

the Red Lion in Whitworth Lancs – landlord keeps a mean pint of blacksheep among others, lets you put your bikes in his secure logstore and has a roaring indoor fire that you can sit next to in all your stinking wet muddied up fineness – perfect !!

i_am_JC
    Free Member

Got to add the Lochranza hotel on Arran. Was always the highlight of the geology fieldtrips during sixth form. Plus it has one of the best whisky lists I've ever seen. Literally hundreds of options. You can spend an absolute fortune at the bar and walk away with a single. Some of the bottles stashed away in the back are crazy!

user-removed
    Free Member

My local – The Stables in New Herrington – turned up a month ago covered (literally) in mud and the barmaid insisted we come in, sit down and warm up. We'd been planning to sit out in the snow and scoff a quick burger washed down with a pint…

Great food, proper ales and fantastic atmos.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The Works in Sowerby Bridge is decent for a night out.

For a 'proper' pub, the Spring Rock on the edge of Norland Moor wins it. Excellent ales, excellent food and just so happens to be linked into various rides from my doorstep with little trouble.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘The STW 2010 Good Pub Guide’ is closed to new replies.