Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • The Stone Roses – Fuss justified?
  • edlong
    Free Member

When did Cud get back together (again)?

Where’s that paisley shirt gone (rummages in back of wardrobe..)?

john_drummer
    Free Member

The Stone Roses – Fuss justified?

no.

imho. drugged up hippy funk rock. nowt special

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Wanted to see the Roses for 22 years and on Friday I fulfilled that with one of the best gigs I’ve been to. Went to watch the Verve at haigh hall, Wigan in 98 (I think ) which was my favourite gig but Friday night just blew me away.

Ringo
    Free Member

Fridays gig was the best I have ever seen for one reason and another, the whole vibe was ace and I have seen a lot of bands in my time through working festivals etc

binners

So there seems to be a pretty clear divide here. The people who actually went to see them, who are all going into collective raptures about how good they actually were. And then the ‘bah, humbug – they were never any good, and they’re probably still rubbish cynics who’d already cast their opinions in stone before they’d played a note. They clearly didn’t need to actually hear them to confirm their unjustified prejudice opinion 😀

andy – I was at that Verve gig at haigh hall. It was absolute quality. Though not a patch on the Roses this weekend IMHO

crispo
    Free Member

I was there last night.

I was never a massive Stone Roses fan to be honest (in the way that I didnt have all the albums and no all the words off by heart). I got tickets for my Fiance, her brother and Dad who all love them. They were brought up on them so I thought it would be good to get them tickets.

Anyway they were absolutely fantastic! It was amazing how many songs I knew once they started playing them. I was impressed by the quality of the instrumentals and the ability to turn each song into a 10 minute feast fo your ears. I would definately forgive the odd ‘dodgy note’ from Brown.

There were quite a few 40-50 year olds trying to turn back the clock to the 90’s looking like they had seen better days but who cares. Everyone was having fun and the atmosphere was amazing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Everyone was having fun and the atmosphere was amazing.

Meh, I can’t stand people having fun, me. I’d rather sit and watch YouTube videos of bands you haven’t heard of yet, recommending them to my mates, then hiding away when they turn out to be charlatans. I’d rather go on about what they “could have been”. 70000 people singing and dancing in a field having a blast? Meh, meh, meh.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Binners – Badly Drawn Boy wrote I Wanna be Adored

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Was there on saturday and it was awesome night.

I was too young to see them first time round – they had already split up when i started listening to them so i have no idea how it compared to back at their peak. However compared to the hundreds of other bands ive seen over the years saturday night was up there with some of the very best.

Body is aching now though was right down the front and ended up on the deck during made of stone with someone standing on my legs and then falling ontop in slow motion 🙁

binners

I thought that was Elton Johns Princess of hearts version of Candle in the Wind?

MSP

Papa_Lazarou – Member

Binners – Badly Drawn Boy wrote I Wanna be Adored

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

nickf
    Free Member

And Mani’s right up there as one of the best bass players ever!

You were doing so well up until then.

Maybe John Entwistle might have a say about that, or John Paul Jones? If you want to get all muso about it, I’d put Tony Levin right up there, Bootsy Collins, Bernard Edwards, Donald Dunn…

Or from just a few years earlier than the Stone Roses, is there anything Mani’s done that compares to the sheer brilliance of Peter Hook?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Musos musin’

MSP

You were doing so well up until then.

Maybe John Entwistle might have a say about that, or John Paul Jones? If you want to get all muso about it, I’d put Tony Levin right up there, Bootsy Collins, Bernard Edwards, Donald Dunn…

Or from just a few years earlier than the Stone Roses, is there anything Mani’s done that compares to the sheer brilliance of Peter Hook?

I get the feeling some people spend more time reading and talking about music than they do listening to it.

DezB
    Free Member

I get the feeling some people spend more time reading and talking about music than they do listening to it.

Amen.
    Nothing to say about the Roses comeback (it’s a “comeback” ffs), but those going on about “how good” they are as musicians really, really don’t have a clue do they?
    There’s a feel that Mani & Reni created when they played together that was awesome. It’s not about technical ability. Leave that to the heavy rockers churning out the same technically brilliant riffs over and over and over and over…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

At least they’ll never disappoint quite as much as Lana Del Rey.

binners

Hmmmmmm – I suspect Prog Rock may figure in any top ten lists. Maybe the time Rick Wakeman played a 10 minute glockenspiel solo during 1976’s Rings Around the Moons of Saturn tour? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

At least they’ll never disappoint quite as much as Lana Del Rey.

Yeah, they have got about 2 or 3 more decent songs than she has 😛

emsz
    Free Member

don’t care about techincal stuff (mostly it’s actually not that hard, it’s just scales played fast)

I care about music that makes the hairs on my arm stand up!

Junkyard
    Free Member

So there seems to be a pretty clear divide here. The people who actually went to see them, who are all going into collective raptures about how good they actually were. And then the ‘bah, humbug – they were never any good, and they’re probably still rubbish cynics who’d already cast their opinions in stone before they’d played a note

You still stoned then Binners?

don’t care about techincal stuff (mostly it’s actually not that hard, it’s just scales played fast)

I agree but both is best and it can be done – fast stuff is not necessarily technical it is just fast.

binners

Exactly emsz!!!! And from the opening chords of I Wanna Be Adored, I’ve never seen a crowd got so absolutely crazy ape bonkers. But, hey, I’ve never seen Eric Clapton or Jeff Beck. They’re technically far better musically, so WTF would I know 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, they have got about 2 or 3 more decent songs than she has

And Brown, it turns out, has a better voice.

DezB
    Free Member

WhyIoughta!

llama

it was great

OK monkey’s vocals are suspect but that’s not really the point, and in any case he was way better than when I saw him solo a few years back. There were a few lulls but they were really on it for stuff like fools gold, waterfall, don’t stop, and of course resurrection.

I’ve seen a few comebacks and this was one of the best. I saw Pulp last year for example: it was singalong with Jarvis. This was the same, but I thought the roses brought that bit extra.

And the atmosphere was great, not just in the gig but also around town before hand.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I personally don’t like their stuff – for me anyway it seems to be a lot of hype about a band that don’t really move me – admittedly I’ve never seen them live, but I’ve always found that you’re unlikely to like a band live, if you don’t really like their studio stuff.

Horses for courses though – I’m sure people here would prob slate my fav bands.

This seemed a bit out of order though http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/29/musicphotographyboycott

DezB
    Free Member

This seemed a bit out of order though http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/29/musicphotographyboycott
    Yeah, they should ban **** with their iPhones & Blackberrys first.

nickf
    Free Member

I put Hooky in there to make the point that it’s not just about muso perfection; he makes all sorts of mistakes, but I just love the feel of what he does, and that matters much more to me. And I stick to my original point that although Mani’s a perfectly fine bass player, to call him one of the best in the world is just silly. There are others who are technically more proficient (if that’s what you’re looking for – personally that does little for me) and a load more who were way more influential.

What you can say is that he’s the best bass player for that band, and the Stone Roses without him would be unthinkable.

grum
    Free Member

Everyone was having fun and the atmosphere was amazing.

I bet you could say the same about going to see Scooter though 😉

And I know the guy (Ian Tilton) who started that boycott campaign. He’s been photographing the band for years and took many of the iconic pictures of them. It does seem like pure shady money grabbing on their part.

I’m sure it was a fun gig but I’ve just never been that big a fan of their music, and I don’t get the whole hero worship of Ian Brown and his lyrics.

D0NK

fast stuff is not necessarily technical it is just fast

hmm sounds familiar

rode passed all the crowd friday afternoon taking the long way home, was very jealous. Never got the chance to see them live as I only started listening to their stuff after they split up (regular MO for me and music) but didn’t get my act together to try and get tickets, apparently the bouncers were pretty chilled out and let quite a few “pay on the door”, wish I’d known that 🙂

therealhoops
    Free Member

The missus went on Saturday as it was a big part of her youff. Me and the kids dropped her off. Heaton Park looked like the biggest pub garden in the world. She will die happy now.

Mooly
    Free Member

Fair comments all round.
    I guess its mainly about the atmosphere that the band create as one entity rather than the highly technical skills on show.
    Im glad everyone has had a great time and werent dissapointed with the show.
    Seems like the properly pulled it off. Good job them.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘The Stone Roses – Fuss justified?’ is closed to new replies.