Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • The singletrack effect……affect…..effect…no, affect…
  • Tinners

Your not going too believe this folk’s, but something seem’s two have happened too my grammar since Ive bean reading these thread’s on singletrack. Cant seem too string to sentence’s together without bo11oxing it up. My English teacher wood turn in her grave if she sore this. Is it possible two reset my brain to an earlier date too forget some of the thing’s Ive seen on hear?
    *Dons a tin hat and ducks for cover* (or should that be “Duck’s for cover”?…)
    😀

martymac

dont get me started on this.
    ok then,
    ‘would have’ has been altered into ‘would of’
    for example.

RealMan
    Free Member

That was painful to read.

I was walking down a flight of stairs yesterday and two people in front of me were talking. One of them literally used like every other word, I wanted to punch him in the back of the head.

I don’t get what is so hard about grammar/spelling, as long as you know you’re your their there they’re to too etc. how can you go wrong?

Don’t know the difference between effect and affect myself though.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

effect – noun (The effect of STW on your grammar)

affect – verb (STW has affected your grammar).

Sorry.

13thfloormonk

I usually like to think I get my spelling (and to a lesser extent, grammar) correct. However I can never remember the difference between effect and affect (one is the verb, one is the noun, I’m going to guess affect is the verb?).

Edit: Made to look doubly stupid by Stuartie getting in there first!

Tinners

dont get me started on this.
    ok then,

LOL. Sorry, Martymac. I suspected that I wasn’t the only one. I think that my English teacher must have given me too much of a hard time and I’ve now turned into her (grammatically speaking, of course…..and no I’m not perfect and get it wrong lots of time too 😉 )
    (How tempting is it to write “lot’s of time to”? LOL – it’s hard to stop deliberately getting it wrong once you start)

13thfloormonk

lots of time

Lots of times, no? 😀

Tinners

Lots of times no?

Your right 😳

RealMan
    Free Member

Your right

I prefer my left actually.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

In practice, however, I wouldn’t advise taking advice from someone who needs to practise laying off the Leffe on a school night…

(Though I’m on holiday so it’s allowed/aloud)

Tinners

(if someone tell’s me I should of typed “you’re” I’m gonna pop)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wanted to punch him in the back of the head.

Wow. I’ve never wanted to punch someone in the back of the head because of how he or she talks. I wonder how that feels. 😕

Tinners

LOL Realman – your two quick for me!

RealMan
    Free Member

(if someone tell’s me I should of typed “you’re” I’m gonna pop)

😯

It feels like you want to punch someone in the back of the head really.

LOL Realman – your two quick for me!

Too far.

😆

grumm
    Free Member

I recently brought a book on grammar

Tinners

I realise that I’m going to have the p1ss taken every time I mistype or get the grammar wrong from now on. Richly deserved to too LOL 😀

martymac

well, i dont believe i’m a pedant, its just i try to speak/type accurately.
    i often make mistakes like, i’m not saying i’m perfect,
    but i really can’t understand why people do it, i only had the basic (up to 16) education and i can manage a reasonable standard.
    i think texting is to blame, at least partly,
    txt, lol, pmsl, mtfu, etc.
    am i being an old fart?

scaredypants

effect – noun (The effect of STW on your grammar)
    affect – verb (STW has affected your grammar).

unless you were to effect(v) a change on someone’s affect(n), maybe ? 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

i think texting is to blame, at least partly,
    txt, lol, pmsl, mtfu, etc.
    am i being an old fart?

I don’t mind acronyms, except FTW. For the win? Who the **** says that??

unless you were to effect(v) a change on someone’s affect(n), maybe ?

trailertrash

Affect/Effect

There are five distinct words here. When “affect” is accented on the final syllable (a-FECT), it is usually a verb meaning “have an influence on”: “The million-dollar donation from the industrialist did not affect my vote against the Clean Air Act.”

Occasionally a pretentious person is said to affect an artificial air of sophistication. Speaking with a borrowed French accent or ostentatiously wearing a large diamond ear stud might be an affectation. In this sort of context, “affect” means “to make a display of or deliberately cultivate.”

Another unusual meaning is indicated when the word is accented on the first syllable (AFF-ect), meaning “emotion.” In this case the word is used mostly by psychiatrists and social scientists—people who normally know how to spell it.

The real problem arises when people confuse the first spelling with the second: “effect.” This too can be two different words. The more common one is a noun: “When I left the stove on, the effect was that the house filled with smoke.” When you affect a situation, you have an effect on it.

Less common is a verb meaning “to create”: “I’m trying to effect a change in the way we purchase widgets.” No wonder people are confused. Note especially that the proper expression is not “take affect” but “take effect”—become effective. Hey, nobody ever said English was logical: just memorize it and get on with your life.

The stuff in your purse? Your personal effects.

The stuff in movies? Sound effects and special effects.

“Affective” is a technical term having to do with emotions; the vast majority of the time the spelling you want is “effective.”

[copied off the net]

rs
    Free Member

could care less

martymac

i dont actually mind acronyms either,
    lol is much quicker two right than ‘wow, that was really funny’
    cant imagine anyone with a british accent using ftw though.

Tinners

Trailertrash – I wish you hadn’t burst my bubble by putting “copied off the net” at the end. I was well impressed until I read that bit 😆

GrahamS

My current pedantic niggle is that the **** spellchecker on my phone keeps autocorrecting “its” to “it’s”

ourkidsam
    Free Member

‘trouble with ‘lol’ is that you can’t use it to mean just ‘lol’ anymore. It’s become meaningless – it’s like **** punctuation.

I’m a fan of ‘ha’ to demonstrate amusement, ‘ha ha’ as a response to something pretty funny and ‘genuine lol’ for something I genuinely lol’d to 😉

Tinners

I quite like LOL in that it’s spontaneous and I only type it out when I genuinely LOL (nothing worse than a disingenuous LOL in my book). “Ha ha” is good too, as is “Tee hee hee”, although “Tee hee hee” implies a sort of shifty eyed, hand over mouth type of LOL.

RealMan
    Free Member

One big issue I think is if you start a sentence with lol. Do you capitalize the first l? I think it just looks wrong if you do. Lol.

Tinners

I just capitalise the lot. I like living on the edge.

iDave
    Free Member

Wow. I’ve never wanted to punch someone in the back of the head because of how he or she talks

you haven’t met Alan Carr then?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

All joking aside, we’re in serious danger of getting ‘lapped’ by other countries in terms of proficiency with our own language.

It’s not just India that’s producing hundreds of thousands of graduates per year with faultless spelling, punctuation and grammar. The likes of Germany, the Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries seem to be able to educate their children, to a higher standard of English than the average Brit now.

RealMan
    Free Member

I just capitalise the lot. I like living on the edge.

As ourkidsam would say, genuine lol 😀

bravohotel9er does have a point.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not in the least bit bothered by the use of non-standard english – indeed mine’s very far from perfect. And it has always been a complete mystery to me why anyone should be bothered about the grammar of a perfect stranger.

As long as I can understand someone, why should I be bothered by their grammar or level of education ? And I don’t have any problem at all understanding anyone, whatever their level of education – even small children.
    Or recently arrived Eastern Europeans for that matter. How do some of you people cope ?

In fact, I’m not even bothered by upper-class toffs taking staggering liberties with the english language – when the spout their nonsensical bollox.

….that’s how unbothered I am 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

can someone translate what ernie has just written?

nickc

I use the word literally; literally all the time. Just because I know it annoys the shit out of people like Realman.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The likes of Germany, the Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries seem to be able to educate their children, to a higher standard of English than the average Brit now.

Think you are forgetting that language changes over time in terms of usage and grammar.TXT and t’internet will clearly be factors in this-we still speak /write it like native speakers
    I personally only think it is a problem when you genuinely cannot work out what someone means[double negatives for example] – you can usually do this with typos and contractions – you just need to feel smart by correcting people for their misuse and frankly should get out more

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

you just need to feel smart by correcting people for their misuse and frankly should get out more

Where did I say anything of the sort?

martymac

have to say,i agree with junkyard, i rarely have difficulty understanding anyone because of poor grammar/typo.
    and, let’s face it virtually everyone does it at some point.
    this thread has entertained me tho . . . .

Hairychested
    Free Member

have to say,i agree with junkyard, i rarely have difficulty understanding anyone because of poor grammar/typo.
    and, let’s face it virtually everyone does it at some point.
    this thread has entertained me tho . . . .

[pedant]Capital letters and comas. Please.[/pedant]

aphex_2k
    Free Member

About sums it up I think.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

One of them literally used like every other word

Was it Norman Collier?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘The singletrack effect……affect…..effect…no, affect…’ is closed to new replies.