• This topic has 7,722 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 9 hours ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 7,723 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • dashed
    Free Member

Been struggling with time and illness over the last few weeks. Seem to have a constant phlegmy throat / chest (no doubt donated by my 18 month old son!). Started to get back out running the last couple of weeks though and went out for a quick one last night – took 35 seconds of my 5k PB so I was well chuffed with that. Only 23:04 which is pretty crap when I look up there ^^^ and see turboferret did 10k in 31 mins!! Still can’t get my head around how that is possible 😉

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Cracking photos nobeer, looks epic

I wasn’t as fortunate with conditions, had a whirl round the white mounth loop of 5 munros on Sunday, very dreich type 2 fun, lashing rain and sleet, paths had turned to streams and streams were torrents. Had to take it reasonably cautiously as not a day to turn an ankle on the slippery boulders, nonetheless got to the top of the 5th in under 3 hours running.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brilliant effort Mike!.

Spin
    Free Member

Here’s a proper hardcore / batshit crazy thing that’s happening right now:

Seeking Grand Challenges

He’s already about 5hrs down on schedule but tbh the schedule doesn’t matter, completion of this in any time will be astounding.

Tracker:

https://share.garmin.com/randomforestrunner

bob_summers

^ been following that too. 185 miles / 85000ft running, plus 400 miles on the bike. Bloody hell.

It’s been my biggest week in the hills since I started running. A slightly more modest 80k/3500m. Felt ok at the beginning of it, now very tight in my left groin, down the left thigh. Sore when I set off, settles down after a few k, though it does seem to be shortening my stride.
    Another big week to come then I guess I should taper. Ouch.

bob_summers

very tight in my left groin, down the left thigh.
    Sore when I set off, settles down after a few k, though it does seem to be shortening my stride.

Quick Q – seeing the physio about this next week but in the meantime, does it sound familiar to anyone? Not even knowing the name of the area it’s hard to find stretches etc. Pain starts very top on the thigh, feels like it radiates around the hip and down the leg. Have ramped up the mileage recently. Pulling the foot up behind the buttock seems to hit the spot, wondering if there’s anything better?

Spin
    Free Member

It’s been my biggest week in the hills since I started running. A slightly more modest 80k/3500m.

That’s a solid week’s work!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye is it. Took me 3 days to get the thighs eased off enough to run again after mondays 2000m ascending.

bob_summers

Hoping to top it off on Sunday with a long run up to Aizkorri to coincide with the race at some point along the course!

dashed
    Free Member

Hip flexor stretch? I think I get similar in my right hip / groin. Dropping onto one knee and stretching up through pelvis seems to work for me. Have a google for hi flexor stretch and see if any of those hit the spot?

First fell race ever for me next week – just a local midweek one; the Boar’s Head out of Poynton. Never done one of these before and sure it’ll be quite laid back but still a bit nervous at the prospect!

bob_summers

Hip flexor stretch?

Had a google, that might help cheers. Good luck in the race, still got to break my duck!

mrsheen
    Free Member

Boar’s Head is a good midweek tester!

mogrim

Summer seems to have arrived here, just got back from a 20k run at 30C… It’s not too bad once you’re used to it, but the next week or two are going to be pretty grim!

dashed
    Free Member

Boar’s Head is a good midweek tester!

Sounds ominous! I’m pretty familiar with the route though as that’s coincidentally one my regular routes – no idea there was a race there.

mrsheen
    Free Member

You’ll be fine if you’re used to the park. There’s a few route options too. Parking can be a bugger. Might see you there. I’m usually taking it easy near the back!

Spin
    Free Member

Minging day on the Trotternish race yesterday. Pretty much running on a bearing from start to finish. Happy to come in fourth especially given the navigational challenges and having had a cold this week.

Interestingly, some runners were using GPS devices to navigate which gave a significant advantage in those conditions. Rules state GPS for emergency use only and I think it’s a shame everyone doesn’t respect that.

mogrim

Interestingly, some runners were using GPS devices to navigate which gave a significant advantage in those conditions. Rules state GPS for emergency use only and I think it’s a shame everyone doesn’t respect that.

Report them, they’re cheating. Or at the very least let the organisers know that people were using GPS, it might be a genuine mistake on their part and they didn’t realise they were forbidden, and the organisation should make it clearer for the next time.

Spin
    Free Member

I might suggest to the organiser that they make it clearer. It does say in the race info but wasn’t mentioned at briefing. It’s possible some folks didn’t really understand or felt it was a grey area.

alanf
    Free Member

After London I had a steady week and then got taken out while on a steady run with the missus and the dogs. Akita to the back of my knee put me out for 3 weeks. I could barely stand after the leg swelled up (this was due to a small DVT developing due to the trauma). I started last weekend and have managed to run every day since then. Still not pain free and range of motion not yet fully achieved but will try it out in a race tonight, Trunce 4. It will be a proper test…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck Alan.

alanf
    Free Member

Cheers Nobeer, it’s good to be out running again.
    Hopefully with it being only a short race (it’s a tough one though) I can’t do to much damage 🙂

stever
    Free Member

@dashed – Boars Head is a nice run out and you should find it friendly enough. There was a route choice at one point where people took massively different lines – I battered like heck over rough ground for ages thinking I was being cute …only to find myself running with exactly the same people when it came back together 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some superb stuff on the thread since I last posted. Love hearing it – envious of the kind of speeds some of you fleckers can wring out of your bodies! And best of luck alanf – that sounds like quite a misfortunate injury – hopefully your race has gone well?

Well, I’m 2 weeks out from a 16.5 miler – the Bristol Epic (Sorrreeeee – not my choice of name) 3 Peaks Race. It runs around the Chew Valley area south of Brizzle – it’s a (badly) waymarked trail so in this race, GPS devices are compulsory! They very kindly put two free Recce events where you walk/jog the race to familiarise yourself with the route. Given that I’d not done a “navigated” race before and that the distance is quite daunting (for me), I had a bash at the recce in the heat of Saturday morning. It was quite enjoyable – some pretty sound people to chat with on the way round. It was hot. I went out with 2.5l water in my backpack and got through every drop of it. Anyway, it gave me an idea of what to expect in a couple of weeks. 500m of climbing – which is nothing for you highlanders and fell runners – but it’s a whole new thing for me. I **** loved it and can’t wait for the race proper.

As for kit review, it was the first outing for my spanking new 2019 Salomon Adv Skin 12 Set. What a fantastic piece of kit. When I picked the pack up with 2.5kg of water and my phone, a few gels and flapjacks, it felt like it weighed a ton. But as soon as I put it on, it just didn’t feel like I had around 3kg on my back. Super comfy. Loads of stowage options. I splashed (pun intended) out on the Salomon bladder which fits the insulated sleeve (provided with the back pack) perfectly and has a really nice plug’n’play system for connecting the feed tube. The soft flasks are well positioned and easy to drink from, and flatten out nicely as you drink. There’s even a little rubbish sleeve inside one of the pockets for empty wrappers etc. which is a really nice touch. I had no idea running with water, supplies could be so comfy. I could probably have got away with an ‘8’ rather than a ’12’ for this year’s activities but I have some stuff I’d like to do next year which could require the 12. 🙂 So if anyone is in need of a pack and is thinking of one of these, I can definitely recommend it. RRP £130 but can be found at around £100 with a bit of googling. Can’t wait to use it in the race proper now – it was one of the things about which I was feeling anxious – the whole “vest” thing – but feel much better about it now.

Spin
    Free Member

Are you planning on carrying 2.5l of water in the event DD?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are you planning on carrying 2.5l of water in the event DD?

I don’t know yet Spin – there were no feed stations on the Recce and the forecast was for 20 deg and rising from 0900 so I thought I’d rather lug extra water around than be hanging for a drink near the end.

There are three feed stations on the actual race where we can re-fill so I dunno. Before trying the vest I was set for carrying a litre in the soft flasks and refilling but now that I’ve tried it, I might just use the feed stations for nibbles but save time by not faffing with the refilling of flasks. I’m a bit clueless to be honest – it’s all new to me. I guess a lot will depend on the weather forecast on the day. There’s also the option of electrolyte in the flasks and water in the bladder. **** if I know to be honest. 🤷‍♂️ 😀

tuboflard

What I’d recommend DD is working out roughly how much you think you need to drink (say 2.5l), carry with you around 1l and then drink a bit at each of the feed stations from their cups (assuming they have them) and slowly work your way through your litre until you finish the race hopefully with your supply empty.

If that makes you nervous that you’ll get the amount you need wrong, take a soft bottle empty and can always fill it up at one of the later stations if you’ve got it badly wrong. Saves carrying a KG of unnecessary weight.

tuboflard

In other news, did Cork half marathon yesterday. Given that I did no training for it, just a couple of trail 5km to 10km runs, and one road run so far this year, I surprised myself by getting round in 1.46. Very chuffed. Though still dislike road racing with a bit of a passion.

Spin
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to just carry the soft flasks and re-fill them at the stations. 1.5 or 2kg is a pretty big saving on knees etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This Arran race, 26k and 6700′ of climbing, recce last week showed I can get away with 1l in 2 soft flasks, there’s a natural spring on the 3rd summit, about half way round, and a high up fast flowing burn about 4/5 of the way round.

Be reet. 😊

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice Spin and turboflard. You’re both probably right – I think with stations at 4ish, 8ish and 12ish miles, I should be fine with just the soft flasks. A lot will depend on the weather on the day I guess.

dashed
    Free Member

I bumbled my way around the Boar’s Head last night – my first ever fell race. Not a biggy (12k ish and 400m climbing). Really enjoyed it! Legs feel it a bit this morning despite being too conservative on the way out on the climbs. I should have gone harder but, despite knowing the course, had never raced it before so didn’t want to get carried away and blow up too early. I had no idea what to expect time-wise but reckoned 1:10 would be ok. Managed 1:09 which I was happy enough with for a first time, although I reckon I could shave a few minutes off that easily enough. Now off to look at the FRA calendar to see what’s next locally 😉

MrSparkle

Welcome aboard dashed!
    It’s my big day on Saturday – the Joss Naylor Challenge. I think I am ready. I’m certainly as ready as I’m going to be. Everything is hopefully in place with support etc. The elephant in the room is the weather. The forecast looks shite. Last weekend a mate had to bin his BG attempt after 22 hours of horrendous weather. I’m not going to risk anyone’s safety and go ahead at all costs despite the ‘pressures’ of so much training, the number of people involved and the amount of sponsorship (nearly £1300). I am raring to go so let’s hope it improves as we get nearer to Saturday. Wish me luck.

mrsheen
    Free Member

dashed- which route did you take after the Cage? I noticed a fair few people going straight across and I think up through the woods? I’d not seen that before in the previous times I’ve done it.

whitestone
    Free Member

@MrSparkle – good luck. Not sure the weather is going to be kind to you on Saturday, can you postpone until Sunday?

MrSparkle

Not an option, sadly. My support can only do Saturday so it’s then or some point in the future, tba.

bob_summers

Good luck @MrSparkle- can it go back a week if the weather doesn’t play nice?

Well, three days resting this hip this week. Was supposed to be my last ‘big’ week, taper next week, race on the Sunday. Feels like tendonitis in the hip flexor, if that’s a thing. Hurts if I hop/bounce on the left leg, it did ease off after a while on my last big run but not going to risk it now.

I’ve found it odd that injuries come up almost consecutively – never had a run where nothing was sore! No sooner did the foot start to feel better than the hip played up. Compensation? Opposite sides, btw.

Is it necessarily a problem going into this event (43m 2800m) after 2 weeks’ rest? I would be worried if it was a bike race, but my only objective is to get round within the time cut (thus giving me a soft target for a PB if I do it next year 😉 )

dashed
    Free Member

@mrsheen – yeah, I took that left option after the cage as I know the route pretty well. It’s probably marginally more direct and a bit more of a gradual climb than the steep rocky path up the righthand side of Lantern Wood but it does add a nasty little dip and climb immediately after the cage. Swings and roundabouts probably.

I also took the steep, direct climb up the bankside at the end of the descent down from the deerpark before checkpoint 3. Doubt it was any faster but it was brutal on the legs!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One of the rules of my upcoming trail race is that competitors have to carry a “navigational device”, which thankfully for many people, can be a phone. My two training partners will have to use theirs, I have a Garmin watch which I’ll use (and carry a phone for back-up). One is savvy and on iOS (as am I). The other is not so, and is on Android. What’s the best app to use for navigation on android devices?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

OS mate, 20 quid a year, it’s brilliant. Download 1:25000 map before you head out for offline use, shows your position and you can download routes to follow as well, or make your own.

Viewranger is good too, but you have to buy credit and use that for maps, I eventually got a bit fed up of that.

Backcountrynavigator is good too, IIRC it’s a tenner or so up front.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I forgot to mention that he’s quite tight too. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 7,723 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.