Viewing 40 posts - 5,481 through 5,520 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • root-n-5th
    Free Member

Good running all. Thanks for the injury feedback. I have an enforced 10 day test to see if the niggles disappear. Ankle getting much better 5 days in. We shall see.

lunge

A bit of advice needed.

In theory I’m doing an ultra in May (Covid pending), 40 miles so nothing really silly, but still a long way. I’m approaching the training the same way as I would a marathon just with more miles, so instead of my longest run being 20 ish, it’ll be nearer 30.

Anyway, the question. There is a trail marathon covering very similar terrain 3 weeks before the ultra. To my mind, this would be a great way to do a final check of kit, test the legs and do a long run at the same time. But at the back of my mind I wonder of doing that kind of distance 3 weeks out is little close to the main event?

What do you reckon? I generally recover pretty well and I’d hope I’d be comfortable at marathon distance by that point in the training. I’d obviously not go hard in the run, but would like to it at ultra pace.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

3 weeks is loads of time IME, sounds a winner.

alanf
    Free Member

@lunge – How far out from a mara would you do your longest training run? I would probably be at about peak distance coming up to 3 weeks out, so I think you would be fine to do that distance, but I wouldn’t treat it as a race and ‘try’ not to get sucked into mixing it up with the other runners.
    Set out your plan and try and stick to it as best you can.
    Oh, and well done on your half at the weekend – smashed it!

lunge

Thanks @alanf

How far out from a mara would you do your longest training run?

3 weeks tends to be my last and longest run before a mara, 21 miles normally (I like to know I can get over 20!), so in ultra context you’ve backed up my thinking.
    As long as I treat it as miles in the legs and don’t go and thrash myself I think it’ll work well. Just need to get out of my head the idea of a marathon PB in it!

alanf
    Free Member

The thing is, a trail marathon over lumpy ground isn’t where you want to be looking for a pb, and with the miles and training you’ve been doing, I think any road marathon that’s pretty flat will give you that PB. That’s not to say that you couldn’t get a PB on the trail, but I’d be more inclined to stick to a plan and use it as ‘miles in legs’ and kit finalisation. You’ll no doubt have extra kit which you wouldn’t have on a road marathon, which wont help either.
    It will be hard to stay disciplined though if you are feeling good.

The only ‘Ultra’ I’ve done was about 1 month after I did Boston (UK) marathon but I was well recovered after it. It was supposed to be 30 miles but I think most clocked over 31 and I got lost a couple of times so reckon I did north of 33 in the end. I enjoyed it though.

mogrim

Take it easy and you should be fine – it’s a good opportunity to tweak any kit choices etc.

Pieface

@lunge

I’ve never been a strong believer in tapering, think I clocked up 50 or 60 miles in the penultimate week before my Bob Graham (one weeks full rest before the event) then this summer did a 45 mile lakeland round with only a few days off following a 50 / 60 mile week. I’ve done the High Peak Marathon a number of times at last minutes notice, again at the end of a 50 / 60 mile week.

On anything that long the key to unlock is eating. Get it wrong and it will ruin you. Marathon’s are short enough that this isn’t usually a consideration, you can get round on gels, but if you rely on gels on something that long you’ll get a bad tummy, or the squits, or puking.

With that in mind I’d focus on long days out and learn what food you can digest in enough quantities to keep you going, how much / frequently and not ruin your day. FWIW I found that sandwhiches (white bread) with jam and peanut butter or marmite an peanut butter were great. Rice pudding is good as well. Crisps are also a welcome relief amd topping up with gels in beween can work. Speed during these days out isn’t so improtant, you need to replicate the scenario in which you’ll be getting hungry, but need to eat and keep moving.

With regards to the race – I don’t think the tail run that close will cause you a problem, only if you twist an ankle or some other sort of injury.

nostrils
    Free Member

Has anyone got a copy of Runner’s World Run Less Run Faster? I bought a copy the other day with the aim of following it in the new year but am a bit confused, do you start on Week 12 (5k plan, longer distance plans are 16 weeks) in the table or Week 1?

Also treated myself to Forerunner 45 Plus after using the very basic Forerunner 30 for the past couple of years. The difference is night and day in terms of programming intervals, one less thing to think about whilst puffing away with the beeps telling what to do.

Cheers.

oldtennisshoes

Anyone done the Mallorca (Palma) half? I’m considering it for October next year as my first. Tia

lunge

Evening all, all well?
    Can anyone suggest a good running jacket? I’ve always been against them as the only ones I’ve worn have been really warm and sweaty. I tend to get hot when I run, I’m quite happy in a thin base layer and shorts until 2 or so degrees, but I’ve done a couple of run this year when it’s been wet, windy and cold and I’ve struggled a bit.
    I guess I’m thinking windproof more than anything, which breathes well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry, can’t really help you there lunge, not really tried any jackets that I’d recommend running in, or would meet your requirements.

I’d love a ME Propeller for such duties, supposed to be incredibly breathable, but at 240 quid a bit dear for running for me!.

Easy 5 mike’s to start 21 off, was very icy so took it easy, gonna get a longer trail run in tomorrow, only managed 800 miles last year, among for 1500 this year, as my pace has suffered this year.

All the best folks!.

PS need to get title changed again! 😆

nostrils
    Free Member

Happy new year everyone, just been for the first run of 2021 with the missus.
    Slight issue, my Garmin was adding on around 240m per km (known route) and when uploaded to Connect the track has gone mental. Has anyone had a similar problem? Have turned it off and will see if it behaves itself tomorrow.

Also tried out my new Nike Streak 7s, first impressions are good, very light and seem to propel me forward slightly compared to my old shoes.

lunge

@nostrils, no idea on the Garmin issue but agree, the Streak 7 is a lovely shoe, the last of the proper racing flats I suspect as Nike have killed off that genre with the VaporFly.

jodafett

Happy New Year folks and a big thank you for the advice you all gave me earlier in the year. I can now run with no sign of shin splints!! The stretches suggested by @turboferret & @sirromj have done the trick. Without having a target I’ve managed over 500km and recently done my fastest 1/2 marathon in 1:46:55 which I’m well chuffed with. Thanks again and I’ll maybe see some of you at a race one day 😂😉

loum
    Free Member

Lunge,
    ASICS do nice windproof jackets that seem like what you’re after. Really thin, vented on the back, feel windproof and a bit of rain protection but not much. Feels a bit like “pertex” but own brand material. Pack small into their own pocket, and fit in a shorts pocket. Jacket for non jacket wearer, really.
    Found one in the outlet a few years back at £3. Been the best value running kit I’ve ever had. They size small. Usually I’m L, needed XL

loum
    Free Member

Congratulations jodafett, good running buddy.

Happy New year all.

lotto
    Free Member

@lunge. I use a Buffalo windshirt which is just basically a pertex  shell. I use it for the conditions you describe. It looks/feels like a rag, packs up ridiculously small, but by golly it works. Other pertex shells are available if the Buffalo cut does not suit.

On a side note I done a snowy 12km this morning in the hills. One of them days where everything just worked and the run felt good. Good start to the year.

I’m trying Maffetone style running. Not sure on the long term effects but I’m enjoying not going out and feeling wrecked afterwards. My mileage is the same, but runs take longer, not an issue in the current climate shop happy to continue with his methods.

loum
    Free Member

Decathlon would be another place to look lunge.

nostrils
    Free Member

@lunge, did another 12km in the Streak 7s today and they felt great, do you think that Nike will discontinue the streak range now in favour of carbon plate shoes? Seriously considering stocking up on some…

In other news, Garmin seems to behaving itself today after turning it off then on again, will keep an eye on it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

lunge, my favourite running jacket by far is a cheap pertex windproof from Mountain Warehouse, cost maybe 10-20 quid in a sale. Bright yellow for visibility, full zip so I can put on and off on the move and easy to tie round when not in use. Pockets for hat and gloves. Holds up well to anything short of the most grim cold and rainy weather.

Think it’s this one but I never paid as much as 30 quid:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/mens/force-jacket-p8705.aspx/yellow/

lunge

@nostrils, I’m just not sure there’s a market for them. They used to be the Nike racing shoe, but racing shoes are now almost all high-stack, carbon plated shoes. They’re generally more forgiving and faster too.
    I love mine, they feel amazing to run in, particularly for short, fast stuff, but they can beat you up a bit, the Vaporfly’s and the like are much more forgiving.

lotto
    Free Member

@nostrils

Maybe explain your Garmin playing up?

5k runner Garmin issues.

dogbone
    nostrils
    Free Member

@lotto Thanks for that, my watch apparently uses the Sony chipset so that could explain it, its been fine today though oddly.

lotto
    Free Member

@nostrils

DC Rainmaker reporting on the issue now too who is a bit of a Garmin expert. Sounds like the issue will resolve with the next couple of syncs.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/01/gps-accuracy-impacting-devices.html

urflying

I have copied Sean Conway’s january challenge (1km on the 1st Jan, 2km on 2nd of Jan, 3km on the 3rd etc) to raise money for charity.

Towards the end of the month – day 20+ its going to be getting brutal. Does anyone have any advice on how to recover for back to back daily running? Increase protein intake?

alanf
    Free Member

You’ll probably find by the time you get to day 20, if you’re not injured your body will be adapting and you may start to feel good.
    My mate tried something similar last March (but miles not kms) and got to day 22 before lockdown foiled him (he had to shield). He said towards the end he was feeling great and it was only logistics that were getting complicated.
    having said that though, good quality fuel, good quality rest and looking after yourself are all going to help.
    If you’ve not get any recovery leggings, might be worth looking into them. I was sceptical but I do think (anecdotally) that they help. It’s not a super boost, but when I’ve not worn them after a long/hard session, I seem to feel it more the next day than when I do.
    Oh and good luck and try and enjoy.

urflying

Thanks – i hope it does come to a logistic only issue!! I have some recovery leggings from years ago – i will give them a go.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I agree with alanf, you’ll get better as the days roll on, good challenge though, I’m sure you’ll do it. I’d definitely mix it up though, try different routes, new areas of town, and mix up surfaces too.

Good start to the year for me, 32 miles done in January, lets see how long it lasts!

lunge

Anyone use toe-socks to run in? I get the occasional blister between toes on long runs and have just ordered a pair of these to try.
    Wondered if anyone had used similar before?

alanf
    Free Member

Anyone use toe-socks to run in?

Not personally but the missus swears by Injinji for ultras.
    The Decathlon ones look like a bargain compared to those.

loum
    Free Member

Got a pair of those last year and they’re fine. Also realised that normal socks are mostly fine for me too, and I’ve got loads from presents so wear more of them.

Pyro

I used to use Injinji toe socks and loved them. Only stopped because I prefer wool socks, and the wool Injinjis are the best part of £20 a pair which was a bit rich for me!

dovebiker

Toe socks? Yes, Injinjis are pricey but worth it. Running an arctic ultra where you need to wear oversize shoes to stay warm and blisters between toes can be a real problem. I also wore a pair of the merino ones for 5 days as inner socks when fat-biking in extreme cold – lots of pushing. Now my regular running wear – the knee length compression ones are great for trail running too.

sailor74
    Free Member

used Injinji for years but this time of year its Sealskinz! been off the MTB for a couple of month due to nerve issues so running is my main ‘thing’ at the moment.
    trying out my new pair of Innov-8 X-Talon 210 that arrived today. ill be solo running in the local woods. having spoken to various people recently the common opinion is that there is no way they would run around the woods at night, especially alone….wonder if this just feels normal to me because of MTB. anyone else do it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Far safer than running through town at night!

Pyro

I like running solo in the woods at night. Means no bugger else is around to hear me talking to myself and wheezing…

lunge

Yeah, I like an off-road night run, will be off on one in 30 mins or so in fact.
    Hoping the group will be frozen enough to avoid the mud.

nostrils
    Free Member

I wanted a new head torch with red rear light now that I’m doing more road running at night so I ordered the Alpkit Gamma 3.

Received and tested today and the rear light is not very bright at all, I would liken it to a cheap rear bike light.

Can anyone suggest an alternative? £30 tops, the Onnight 710 from Decathlon looks quite good…EDIT – scratch that, I mistook the battery as being a rear light lol

Viewing 40 posts - 5,481 through 5,520 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.