• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The quest for a hardtail, PtII.
  • sbob
    Free Member

PtI: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pick-me-a-hardtail/

So after slogging around every bike shop in range, I found one which actually had something similar to what I wanted that I could actually physically see and swing a leg over, a 2019 Giant Fathom.

It felt good (albeit a bit different) in medium (I’m about six foot, but that is mostly neck and I have short arms and no shoulders) and the sales assistant was such a nice chap I considered ordering the upper spec version then and there but alas, it had a Suntour fork.

Now these may be really good, but back in my day Suntour was akin to buying your best clothes in Tescos so I couldn’t do it.

Any reason why I shouldn’t buy this:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/orange-clockwork-137-s-2018-275-inch-hardtail-mountain-bike_460007#infospec

?

27.5″, Rockshox and Shimano are musts I’m afraid.

I could spend £300 more and get a Bird TR as I really appreciate Ben’s input on the forum, but I’m probably (hopefully) already in overbiked territory and the Orange matches my new favourite T shirt.

Over to you.

(The Nail Trail looked ideal, I just don’t like the colour or the dropped seatstay)

matt_outandabout

Can I ask why Rockshox?

Other than my son’s Uber damped and TF tuned Pike, I don’t like the RS damping.

I think our ‘old’ Fox’s and friends X-Fusion are better feel than my RS solo airs.

sbob
    Free Member

The fear of change, mostly.

matt_outandabout

I’d look again if I were you.

RS have as many plastic parts internally as other brands.

I struggle with the damping in my Yari, Reba X2, Revelation and Sectors. I do get on with latest generation Pike and Fox Fit4.

Read the reviews – many other brands are no worse/better at a price point below the poshest forks.

And I still maintain its my riding that is the bigger factor in fast I go…

kayla1
    Free Member

Those Raidons on the Giant are no worse/better than the comparible RS or Fox offering with the same spec. Stop being scared of what other people think.

sirromj

Both frames look very similar – my TR is a lot of fun, expect the Orange will be too. The TR isn’t boost, does that matter?

Del

Non boost might matter if it breaks, you need a warranty replacement, and the new ones are boost.

angeldust
    Free Member

(I’m about six foot, but that is mostly neck and I have short arms and no shoulders)

What a catch 😬

ajantom

Non boost might matter if it breaks, you need a warranty replacement, and the new ones are boost

I think that the moral of that story is to not buy an avian themed bicycle.

jamj1974

I think it looks like a good bike OP.

sbob
    Free Member

What a catch

Unlikely, I also have very small hands.

Not Trump like or Beadlesque, but definitely more teenage schoolgirl than forty-odd yr old bloke.

They’re very pretty, I have done some hand modelling.

jonnyboi

Thought about a cube?

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/cube-reaction-tm-2018-mountain-bike.html?aid=54801&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_vfcBRDJARIsAJafEnGYNeXGLRKsW-bcFb1Y2pdP4h8Vr4yi-GsLdvp8tXYZg11pl-uqgkYaAriOEALw_wcB#deals

Slacker geo than their their usual hardtails, Fox 34 fork, boostvdpacing for wider tyres, 1×11 and a dropper post

brassneck

Just read the original thread – I built my Solaris Longshot for under £1500 with a bit of care (Fox and Eagle group from German sites on offers) and as an allrounder I can’t fault it. Could be a bit lighter I suppose, but I could lose more for greater effect and zero spend.

EDIT – actually probably not under thinking hard, but in that ball park.

sbob
    Free Member

This isn’t helping! 🙁

Those Raidons on the Giant are no worse/better than the comparible RS or Fox offering with the same spec.

Really?
    The Giant did feel good and the shop assistant was super helpful which goes a long way. Not sure I like the colour scheme of the Fathom 1 though…

Non boost might matter if it breaks

What we saying, is the Bird obsolete already? It does come in a very nice blue…

I think it looks like a good bike OP.

The Orange?
    I was hoping that I’d get a load of forum users telling me to go ahead and buy it, it does look nice. As long as it doesn’t weigh 40lbs or something I thought it seemed quite good, and it does match my new T shirt…

Thought about a cube?

No I hadn’t, but thanks for making my choice even more difficult! :p
    TBH, the Cube just doesn’t have as special a vibe about it as the Bird or Orange. Maybe I’m discovering some latent jingoism.

I know the sensible thing would be to try them all but I live in a tiny village just outside Cambridge and don’t currently drive, so there are few options (other than the Giant).

mrb123
    Free Member

There have been a few threads recently mentioning the 29er version of the Orange if you have a search around. I for one ended up buying one and I believe a couple of others on here have too.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

The Orange would definately get my money, it’s a great bike especially at that price, you’ll not regret it.  I bought an Orange P7 but actually wish I’d got the Clockwork 137

cookeaa

How about a Saracen?

But TBH that Orange looks like pretty good VFM…

kayla1
    Free Member

Really?

Yes, really. Anything from Raidon up are really good and the Axons (top of their XC range) on the Fathom 1 will be about the same as a good Fox 32 or whatever RS churns out at that spec. Don’t confuse the millions of sets of cheap forks on rusting BSOs with the decent forks they make!

sbob
    Free Member

Sod it.
    Bought the Clockwork.
    Now to buy pedals, a shock pump (they make springs from air now!!!) and some new trainers to match the bike, and my new T shirt!

My excuse is that it is a work uniform.

ETA: biggest of thanks for everyone’s input. 🙂

Now how about a what pedal thread? 😆

weeksy

Congratulations !

jonnyboi

wow, a what shall I buy thread on this place that for once ends up with someone actually buying something.

sbob
    Free Member

Still time for a “sorry, we’re out of stock” email. Live in hope jonnyboi, live in hope.

joebristol

Result – should be a good bike! I like the look of orange hardtails (not that keen on their FS bikes though) – quite fancy a Crush myself to replace my old hardtail frame.

You thinking about 5-10 style shoes with flats?

sbob
    Free Member

I miss my old purple paisley DC skate shoes so will probably see what hideous offerings TK Maxx has on sale.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The quest for a hardtail, PtII.’ is closed to new replies.