Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • The Orient – Racist?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ditto North and South America.

What mountain range separates North and South America ?

And are the indigenous peoples really so different on either side ?

bwaarp
    Free Member

China, Vietnam, Thailand, N/S Korea,

If you can’t recognize the difference between a Chinese person and a Thai you’ve got something seriously wrong with your brains facial recognition circuits. 😛 :mrgreen:

They are completely different looks….Thai’s and Filipino’s have a much more pacific islander look going on….I could forgive mixing up Han Chinese and Japanese but Thai and Chinese is easy peazie

Cougar

That cherry-picked sentence in full,

But anyway. If you put, say, a Japanese gentleman in a room together with similar representatives from China, Vietnam, Thailand, N/S Korea, etc, and asked your average Brit to identify the nationalities, they wouldn’t be able to do it. Similarly, shibboleths aside, if you were to group a Canadian, an Englishman, a Welshman, a German, would you tell the difference?

Are you saying I’m wrong? That your average Brit can recognise the identity of a Thai bloke just by looking at his face?

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’m saying if you put them next to each other and asked them which one was Chinese and which one was Thai, anyone who was remotely educated in regards to GCSE Geography or who has met someone who is Thai and/or Chinese then yes I would expect them to guess correctly at a statistically significant level.

But seeing as your average Brit is a nationalistic narrow minded buffoon with an interest in the outside world that is almost comparable to Americans then I’m perhaps inclined to agree that you are right.

The Welsh, the English and the Canadians have mingled to much to tell them apart…islands have a pretty good way of cutting populations off so that they produce quite distinctive facial features. Thais are predominantly of Austronesian descent and look a hell of a lot different to Koreans, Chinese and the Japanese.

I get told I look German by my girlfriends parents…and I’ve been mistaken for being Dutch by Germans…until I spoke…so it would seem Asians can also take an educated guess as to where you may be from. Thy can certainly tell the difference between Southern and Northern Europeans which is akin to the Thai/Filipino/Indonesia vs China/Korea/Japan divide.

JoeG
    Free Member

Ditto North and South America.

What mountain range separates North and South America ?

No mountains, but the ‘Mericans dug a little ditch called the Panama Canal a few years ago…

BigJohn

Panama is in central america.

And George bush referred to nelson mandelaa
    s african american

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve always believed “Asian” (Indian / Pakistani) and “Oriental” (Chinese /Japanese) to be safe terms. You wouldn’t blink at someone suggesting that a vase had obvious “oriental influences” in its design. But now this is offensive? We’re running out of adjectives

On the contrary, we have plenty of adjectives, we should use them rather then reductively using only two. Even if it were tru that the average Brit could not distinguish between Thai and Chinese this is a culpapble ignorance. If you cannot tell the difference between Indian and Pakistani, then take the time to find out what distinguishes these people from others and unites them or is at least more specific.if the specificity is not important, then you might need to inspect why you are using a racial adjective at all. South Asian,, east Asian, south east Asian are all better.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

But seeing as your average Brit is a nationalistic narrow minded buffoon with an interest in the outside world that is almost comparable to Americans then I’m perhaps inclined to agree that you are right.

So you are saying this about British people, would you say the same about any other nation ? Norwegians perhaps ? you do realise by saying your average Brit, that this must now include all people of all origins, colours and sexual orientation or are you just referring to your own prejudiced view of what you consider the average Brit to be.

Some people may consider this to be racist

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Words themselves are not racist. It’s the intent and context behind them.

Pigface
    Free Member

if you were to group a Canadian, an Englishman, a Welshman, a German, would you tell the difference?

Of course you could, the Welshman would be spectacularly handsome, witty, generous and with a panting supermodel on each arm 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Words themselves are not racist. It’s the intent and context behind them.

Of course words are not racist, though they can be loaded with racist overtones, or carry some linguistic baggage. In this case racist seems to be the wrong term, it is perhaps being used as a short cut for racially insensitive or ignorant. There is no malice behind waht is being said, however there are clearly some cases where little ffort is made to find out about our compatriots.

Try this, if you cannot tell the difference between Indian or Pakistani, then say ‘either Indian or Pakistani’ though i struggle to thiink of a phrase where such a description is useful.

@pigface, those aren’t supermodels, they are policemen, you’re just too drunk to see properly

Moses

As above, the term is context sensitive, it may be heard as racist to Septics, but isn’t here.

But to pick an argument:

If you can’t recognize the difference between a Chinese person and a Thai you’ve got something seriously wrong with your brains facial recognition circuits

that’s absolute tosh. A northern Thai from Chiang Rai will be much closer physically to a Chinese from Yunnan (say), than the Yunnanese from someone from Beijing. Have a look at the map. China is the size of old W Europe, with all the internal diversity that involves. Oriental covers it fine.

aracer
    Free Member

What you’re saying there, Moses is that the statement “If you can’t recognize the difference between a Chinese person and a Thai you’ve got something seriously wrong with your brains facial recognition circuits” is itself racist, as it’s assuming a uniformity which doesn’t exist? 😆

GrahamS

my local Chinese (run by Chinese people born in China) is called the Oriental Palace.

You wouldn’t blink at someone suggesting that a vase had obvious “oriental influences” in its design

Apparently this is okay as (according to some commentators) “oriental” can be used to describe an object but not a person.
    (See also: “Scotch”)

Personally I had no idea anyone considered “oriental” to be offensive.

The trouble is that the “offence” is often derived from local social baggage and loaded meanings.

If someone from a country which understands that context uses the word then they are probably being a bit racist, but if someone from a country outside of that context uses it innocently then there is honestly no real harm done.

Such is the difficulty of worldwide non-verbal communication.

convert

I went to South African a couple of years ago and was working alongside a local of Sri Lankan origin. He used the word “coloured” to describe fellow countrymen without any seeming racist overtone or intent. If I as a white person used that term in parts of London I’d have to put my sprinting shoes on first! Language use and localised inferences are a funny thing.

I wonder if “oriental” has colonial overtones to some, hence the racist connotations?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

And are the indigenous peoples really so different on either side ?

I think your question should have been ‘Were the indigenous peoples really so different on either side when the terms were coined?’

To which my answer would be I’ve no idea. Have you?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Can I just point out that trying to determine someones nationality by looking at them is pretty pointless. Children get their nationality from their parents, irrespective of where they are born. But those children can have their nationality changed before themselves having children. So, a 100% (e.g.) Chinese looking person might actually be Japanese.

You can probably determine their race, but then you’d better not say it for fear of being branded a racists. Unless they are Caucasian, that one’s fine still.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yes Tucker you are right – as someone else pointed out ethnic lines blur as well – eg yunnan and Northern Thailand…..

…..what I was trying to get at is the idea that all Asians look the same…..they don’t. I’ve grown tired of the “they all look the same” jokes. You can make educated guesses for fun even if you don’t announce them to the world…

I wonder if “oriental” has colonial overtones to some, hence the racist connotations?

Yes that’s pretty much it. Some Chinese I’ve met don’t like the word because they associate it with the opium wars. Generally I just try to to behave and use language that is acceptable in the company of whoever I’m speaking to, it doesn’t take much groundwork to know what does bother different ethnic groups….for example don’t call Japanese people Japs to their faces. The best thing to do though is just to avoid all racial language as much as possible when speaking to people from different backgrounds.

Just basic courtesy that’s all.

swiss01
    Free Member

orientalism? said? I could so go off on one. but here’s this instead…

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/vietnam/china-restaurant-02252013204624.html

bwaarp
    Free Member

You’ll also meet people who use pejorative language for white people or foreigners…gaijin being a great one but I like to think the ignorance of others is no excuse to behave the same way yourself.

Secondly my comments about Brits are bourne out of utter frustration from hearing things like “chinky” being used to describe my missus on nights out. It’s bad enough your being racist, it’s a double insult to mix Chinese and Filipino up.

aracer
    Free Member

Unless they are Caucasian, that one’s fine still.

That’s a typical caucer thing to say.

Northwind

TuckerUK – Member

Not really. The land mass Eurasia is split into two distinct continents separated by a mountain range (the Urals), because the indigenous peoples were so different on either side.

The Urals don’t split europe and asia, though, they only go part of the way. And in any case the divide between the two has wandered around over the years, sometimes along real lines and sometimes along imagined ones. What you describe isn’t a continental divide but a cultural divide- which is no less a real thing.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Having lived in Asia (not the Orient 😀 ) for most of my adult life, it always raises a wry smile when I see a lot of handwringing angst from westerners about racist language.

Why, because in my experience the Asians themselves don’t see treating people differently purely based on race as being that strange. In fact, I’d have to say that the Chinese in particular are the most racist people I’ve ever met. Let me qualify that – its not in a loutish ignorant abusive way like a football fan calling a black player names, but in a more pervasive and institutionalised way. Which is actually more worrying. For example, my identity card contained a numerical code of my racial origins, and my citizenship rights were different accordingly, and would never change no matter how long I lived there – I was different to them, and always would be! This is something that would never be tolerated in the west, where we don’t even have to answer questions on race in an official census if we don’t want to.

But perhaps even more sinister, there is a deep seated cultural belief amongst the Chinese that they are simply superior to the rest of us, and they believe it is only a matter of time that this is universally recognised. Now, ignorant name calling I can brush off, but a latent superiority complex is scary, especially considering that China is entirely likely to be the next world superpower.

By the way, they’re not above ignorant name calling either – in Hong Kong westerners are casually referred to as Gweilo, which roughly translates as foreign devil ghost, and my Chinese secretary used to cheerily greet me each morning at work by calling me a round eyed pig, which is the Chinese equivalent of us calling them slitty eyed – Prince Philip would have been in his element!

At least most of this was done in good humour though, whilst they reserved their worst verbal insults and outright prejudiced behaviour for south Asians and Africans – and that’s what has got a lot of them worried about the rise of Chinese economic power and nationalism.

Anyway, before I get too carried away on my soapbox, the purpose of all this is not to justify racism, but just that I wouldn’t get too upset whether you call someone Asian or Oriental, because they’ll be sure to be calling you something much worse under their breath 😕

chewkw
    Free Member

If you are Chinese then you are Chinese regardless of where you are. You consider yourself Chinese first then the nationality second.

Categories of Chinese:
    1. Chinese Chinese (From father or mother land China),
    2. Oversea Chinese (anyone born or live outside of China or the descendant of Chinese outside of China)
    3. Chinese enemy vice versa (China/PRC vs Taiwan/ROC)

Chinese may not like other Chinese but they tend to look down on other races because they lack Confucius teaching i.e. respect and know your place in an orderly society.

Yes, you can label the Chinese however you want but bear in mind it can be a national pastime for them to label you too. Worst still they are natural at doing so. 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

If you cannot tell the difference between Indian and Pakistani, then take the time to find out what distinguishes these people from others

Yeah, I mean, ffs, if you can’t tell a Shalbari from a Panchagarhi just by looking at them, what’s wrong with you?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Bangladesh_enclaves

mogrim

But perhaps even more sinister, there is a deep seated cultural belief amongst the Chinese that they are simply superior to the rest of us, and they believe it is only a matter of time that this is universally recognised. Now, ignorant name calling I can brush off, but a latent superiority complex is scary, especially considering that China is entirely likely to be the next world superpower.

The first part is pretty much common to every country I’ve lived in – US Americans think they’re the best, so do the British*, the Spanish, Egyptians… Scary bit is the future superpower aspect.

* in the case of the English they are, of course, right.

perthmtb
    Free Member

If you are Chinese then you are Chinese regardless of where you are. You consider yourself Chinese first then the nationality second.

Categories of Chinese:
    1. Chinese Chinese (From father or mother land China),
    2. Oversea Chinese (anyone born or live outside of China or the descendant of Chinese outside of China)
    3. Chinese enemy vice versa (China/PRC vs Taiwan/ROC)

Chinese may not like other Chinese but they tend to look down on other races because they lack Confucius teaching i.e. respect and know your place in an orderly society.

chewkw, I’d be interested to hear your views on something I witnessed many times in Asia. Chinese in your category 1. above ie native born, seemed to feel a strong resentment towards those in category 2 ie overseas born Chinese.

This was particularly obvious when a naive western company would transfer an arrogant young Chinese-American MBA graduate to their mainland Chinese office in the belief that as he looked Chinese he’d know how to get on with ‘them’. The mainland Chinese would without fail turn on this poor guy and make his life hell, much more so than the western staff, who they grudgingly accepted.

I’ve always put this down to jealousy, or feelings that a ‘banana’ as they called them (yellow on the outside but white on the inside) is somehow a traitor to their race. But I’d be interested to hear your take on it?

kimbers

There is also a strong belief within china tied into their national identity, that they are infact descended from homo erectus and therefore a different type of human!, most paleontologists dispute this

perthmtb
    Free Member

The first part is pretty much common to every country I’ve lived in – US Americans think they’re the best, so do the British*, the Spanish, Egyptians…

😆 Yes, of course Mogrim, they do…

However, with what I now know about Chinese culture and history (which I have to admit is still barely scratching the surface) I’d have to grudgingly admit that the Chinese are probably the ones who are right 😯

TuckerUK
    Free Member

US Americans think they’re the best, so do the British*,

Agree on Americans, not on British or English. The people I know all look up to Oriental cultures, generally rate them with higher average IQs too. I think of them as the latest Mk of homo sapiens.

mogrim

Yes, of course Mogrim, they do…

Yup. And I’d say the majority of people from a given country will also believe their food and weather are the best, too.

Agree on Americans, not on British or English

You might not, but when the best selling papers in the UK are the Mail and the Sun, I’m willing to bet that the majority think differently. Sure, most people are willing to admit that a certain detail is better elsewhere, but overall?

mogrim

The people I know all look up to Oriental cultures, generally rate them with higher average IQs too. I think of them as the latest Mk of homo sapiens.

Really? 😯

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yes, of course Mogrim, they do…

Yup. And I’d say the majority of people from a given country will also believe their food and weather are the best, too.

Sorry mogrim, I was actually genuinely agreeing with you, not being sarcastic, though I see how it may have looked otherwise…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Really?

Oh yes, the IQ part is a widely held belief amongst the scientific community too.

chewkw
    Free Member

perthmtb – Member

chewkw, I’d be interested to hear your views on something I witnessed many times in Asia. Chinese in your category 1. above ie native born, seemed to feel a strong resentment towards those in category 2 ie overseas born Chinese.

This was particularly obvious when a naive western company would transfer an arrogant young Chinese-American MBA graduate to their mainland Chinese office in the belief that as he looked Chinese he’d know how to get on with ‘them’. The mainland Chinese would without fail turn on this poor guy and make his life hell, much more so than the western staff, who they grudgingly accepted.

I’ve always put this down to jealousy, or feelings that a ‘banana’ as they called them (yellow on the outside but white on the inside) is somehow a traitor to their race. But I’d be interested to hear your take on it?

A delicate balance I see …

LOL! That would be a disaster when a young MBA try to rule the Confucius minded masses with his Harvard business knowledge.

Better just send a Gweilo to do the job as at least they might just forgive you for being a barbaric foreigner and bow to your barbaric force. Mind you they will still sabotage you or work to rule and definitely call you names behind your back – a must.

Yes, they don’t like the young banana MBA for various reasons:

1. They want to treat him as equal but treating him as equal means young MBA needs to know his place. i.e. no young MBA banana must rule over older/experienced bureaucrats unless back up by fair barbaric force.

2. They want him to be on their sides i.e. he is Chinese, looks Chinese, may or may not speak proper Chinese … not that important but until they know where he stands they see him as a traitor. In this case it very obvious that he is a traitor representing foreign company and still think that he is there to spy on them.

3. Confucius teaching. Respect the elders and never send a young man to rule over the “bureaucrats”. It’s a bit like the old dynasty where a young chap needs climb his way up accordingly with support from various dodgy players in the hierarchical order.

4. Jealousy … Young MBA lives high life and they want that too. Hang on … they are slaves so resent young MBA.

The solutions (choose one or combination) … again a very delicate balance as you are dealing with far superior civilisation …

1. Mongol style – fair but barbaric. Not the JapLand style because they were unfair and barbaric (they loved sex and thought they were superior). Victorian style – no good because they were treated as slaves.

2. Modern western style – you need to adjust your management style to incorporate Chinese Confucius/bureaucrat thinking. If you show too much respect (too lenient) for them your are doomed. If you are too hard on them when they do not understand the rationale behind it then you’re doomed.

3. Young MBA might need a Chinese bureaucrat mentor but then that comes with another can of worm … puppet etc.

For me I prefer the Mongol style … fair but barbaric. :mrgreen:

bwaarp
    Free Member

Oh yes, the IQ part is a widely held belief amongst the scientific community too.

Average IQ differences between countries have nothing to do with genetics or the fact that certain oriental ethnic backgrounds are Humans 2.0.

It has everything to do with diet and environmental conditions. Infectious disease rates are actually the best predictor of intelligence.

Chewkw…you quite simply have some of the most weird thought patterns and idea’s I’ve ever come across. Your incoherent ramblings about things like “JapLand” and “maggots” make you sound as though you have a massive dose of ignorance/racism backed up with an unhealthy dose of formal thought disorder.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Bwaarp, having lived in China for twenty years, everything chewkw says makes sense. It is a very different culture, and if you don’t understand it, don’t make the arrogant 19th century westerners mistake of just bad mouthing it!

Thanks for your response chewkw, that goes a long way to explaining why I was never a successful barbarian overlord in my time in China – even the most mundane office politics is more complex than the Machiavellian conniving of an episode of Yes Minister! I wish I’d taken your wise counsel twenty years ago.

Instead, I took the Samurai way out… (and yes, I know the Chinese consider the Japanese a bunch of jumped up fishermen and rice farmers 😀 )

chewkw
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member

Your incoherent ramblings about things like “JapLand” and “maggots” make you sound as though you have a massive dose of ignorance/racism backed up with an unhealthy dose of formal thought disorder.

In that case I should tell my Japanese friend to stop referring to himself “We the Japs …” I learned the term from him and not the Brit (he used that term too).

Maggot is a fair term for mankind as that is what we are, maggot. The term is also acceptable because we are all in it. No bias, no prejudice, no discrimination, no sexual bias etc.

Why do you think you can come up with a better term?

bwaarp
    Free Member

I think you use the term “maggots” as a way to dehumanize others and place yourself on a pedestal.

Generally when I’m taking the piss out of human kind it’s because I’m suffering from a massive sense of disappointment with the intellectual ability of my peers, with you I sense something different entirely.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Chewkw…you quite simply have some of the most weird thought patterns and idea’s I’ve ever come across. Your incoherent ramblings about things like “JapLand” and “maggots” make you sound as though you have a massive dose of ignorance/racism backed up with an unhealthy dose of formal thought disorder.

😐 I like Chewkw’s ramblings.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘The Orient – Racist?’ is closed to new replies.