• This topic has 70 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • The Mary Rose ship – has it been worth the money ?
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s not just the Mary Rose, it’s the huge number of artefacts that were preserved along with her, and which have been undergoing parallel preservation, from which archaeologists and historians have learned an enormous amount about the lives of the ordinary people who crewed her, and who’s lives are seldom ever recorded in any sort of detail.
    That sort of knowledge is priceless, and adds the the sum total of human knowledge and preserved history

I remember a friend doing his final year material science project, analysing one of the cannonballs, that was back in ’88. It was exciting and interesting then, and that excitement and interest would have been replicated thousands of times across numerous projects. The part hull which seems unexciting to so many, is just one part of a much greater endeavour.

Thoughts? Singletrack user IQ had fallen sharply in the past few years

i think this coincided with the clear out of people who were seen as being argumentative. i.e. they thought

Drac

TBF they have spent quite a lot of money regenerating Hull.

And building an area to keep it so they don’t have to keep preserving it so regeular, not to mention a museum.

footflaps

TBF they have spent quite a lot of money regenerating Hull.

Another huge waste of money 😉

HarryTuttle

Does all this cost account for the income?

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/tickets-and-offers/

At those prices it would presumably be a self funding project.

superfli
    Free Member

I used to travel passed the wreck as it was being raised. My dad was an immigration officer @ Portsmouth and I’d often go with him to France. One of our school teachers husband helped raise it too (Mrs Hudson?). We got to see the ship very early and all I can remember seeing is a load of water being sprayed on bits of wood! Not been back since, even though I live within 10miles lol!

I think its worth it. The UK is a tourist trap for its history, and this is a very well known piece of it. It is taking a damn long time though!

IdleJon

johnnystorm – Member

I’m all for discovering new artifacts and learning new things about the past. The money spent keeping a chunk of Hull from rotting could be spent on uncovering more wrecks, not just maintaining one from which we can learn no more.

And what would you do with the other wrecks once you’d finished learning from them?

ferrals
    Free Member

So for £40,000,000 you have one fragment of a fairly well-documented vessel that will also cost a million a year for evermore to maintain. By excavating, documenting, then returning chopping it up for the woodburner you could then spend the million per year on discovering other vessels and thereby truly expanding our knowledge on maritime history.

FIFY, this is STW, standards are slipping.

I remember visiting the mary rose and victory as a kid. The victory was amazing, actually trying to see the mary rose how it used to be displyed was just like looking into a dark, misty, wardrobe, very disappointing. If this is materially better (and it looks to be) then its money well spent IMO.

legend
    Free Member

In fairness the images of how it is now make it look a look better, especially as it’s orientated properly. £30 a pop is hella pricey mind you……… and I think I’d still rather see the Vasa, Victory or even……. Constitution 😯 (yes I know they are all newer)

Northwind

ferrals – Member

I remember visiting the mary rose and victory as a kid. The victory was amazing, actually trying to see the mary rose how it used to be displyed was just like looking into a dark, misty, wardrobe, very disappointing

Yeah, it used to be basically an exhibit of how you preserve a ship, rather than an exhibit of a ship- probably only interesting if you were into the project itself.

johnnystorm

And what would you do with the other wrecks once you’d finished learning from them?

As I said above. You put it back where you found it. It’s survived hundreds/thousands of years there without anyone lifting a finger.

garage-dweller

I’m going to guess many of the naysayers haven’t been round the Mary Rose museum as it is now/since reopened a couple of years back.

To one side you have representations of the decks and to the other the wreck. There’s been a massive amount of archaeological stuff found too.

I find using some imagination to tie the bits together mentally is needed but that as to the experience for me in some ways.

When you add to that the tourist benefit the Mary Rose project has brought to the dockyard and the surrounding parts of Portsmouth i would say it was a worthy investment.

Since it’s been rehoused we have visited it at least once a year as part of days out down there with annual multi attraction ticket that they do.

IdleJon

As I said above. You put it back where you found it. It’s survived hundreds/thousands of years there without anyone lifting a finger.

Edit – there’s no point arguing this….

legend
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member
    I’m going to guess many of the naysayers haven’t been round the Mary Rose museum as it is now/since reopened a couple of years back.

Haven’t been to the Vasa either, it just holds more appeal

ahwiles
    Free Member

i saw The Mary Rose last year, it was ace.

there’s loads to see at the dockyards, The Mary Rose is just one of the many ships on display.

Warrior, Victory, …er, the submarine whatsamacallit, The Mary Rose, etc. etc.

i’m not really a museum person, and i liked it.

Richie_B

You put it back where you found it. It’s survived hundreds/thousands of years there without anyone lifting a finger.

Pretty sure that where it came from has be dredged out of existence to deepen the harbour for the RN’s new aircraft less carriers

outofbreath
    Free Member

Agree with ahwiles.

Vasa is mind blowing (I made sure I didn’t view pictures before I went, which meant I got the full “utterly speechless” effect when I walked in.

However Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is massive and full of stuff, plus a ticket gets you a years access to most of it + a harbour tour.

Vasa will blow your mind for half a day. PHD will keep you interested and entertained for two solid days.

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    Now I haven’t seen the programme (will search it out) but I am very pleased the project has been completed. History isn’t all about replicas, yes they have a part but the “real thing” has huge value. TheMary Rose was a very important ship and the way it was lost is part of history too. As foe the money its spent on a variety of things including skilled craftsmen and relearning lost skills. This has huge value too.

Well said.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£30 a pop is hella pricey mind you.

There’s a yearly Dockyard ticket that gets you into everything on site, HMS Victory etc, plus the submarine museum and Explosion! as well I think. Plus you can use the water taxi boat on it too. We’ve had one 2 years running as it’s such good value.

Yep here it is. £33 for the year and it includes more than I thought it did.

https://www.buyagift.co.uk/days-out/portsmouth-historic-dockyard-annual-pass-for-two-special-offer-br-11833202.aspx?cm_mmc=google-_-DYS+-+DSA-_–_-_inurl%3Adays-out&mkwid=s_dm&pcrid=103038712081&pkw=_inurl%3Adays-out&pmt=b&DD=&gclid=CI7Yhb-Bgs4CFcZAGwodmyYCLg

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As for the ‘replica’ thing, well, I could google a pic of the Mona Lisa and we could toss the original in the trash I suppose…..

jimw
    Free Member

The simple answer to the OP’s question is yes

legend
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    As for the ‘replica’ thing, well, I could google a pic of the Mona Lisa and we could toss the original in the trash I suppose…..
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

What about if it was just a grubby portion of the original?

IdleJon

What about if it was just a grubby portion of the original?

And if that grubby portion also came with thousands of artefacts that told you about the life of the painter and renaissance Italy?

Its not just a single ‘grubby portion’. 🙄

ahwiles
    Free Member

and it’s a very moving reminder that 500 sailors/soldiers lost their lives.

for me at least, every bit as poignant as the trenches in northern france.

gaidong
    Free Member

I’ve got an ace story! I’m an archaeologist and when I was doing my BSc back in the late 1990s I used to do underwater archaeology in the Solent (with the HWTMA). In ’99 my buddy had a bouyancy aid failure in the shallow water behind Hurst Castle, so I grabbed him, fully inflated my bouyancy jobby, and called our boat over. Wind was getting up and the sea was choppy but I wasn’t expecting our boat to…. RUN US OVER. I pushed my mate down and he must have bounced off the seabed 3m below and came straight back up. With my bouyancy jacket fully inflated I was just pinned against the bow, until I finally slipped under the keel. My mate got propped on the arm and me in the face (low-ish revs 15hp if I remember). My mask took the brunt of it but it broke my nose and went through my upper lip (could see my teeth with my lips closed :D). My friend had a series of deep diagonal bruises running up his arm (nice thick wetsuit).
    The guy piloting our boat was an elderly chap with milk bottle bottom glasses (no names). He was one of the original divers on the Mary Rose. One person died during the Mary Rose excavation. Our pilot was her dive buddy. She died on 2nd July 1980. I was born on 2nd July 1980. Spooky….

When I was studying about maritime archaeology we were told that the Rose had swallowed up so much funding that very little else could be done for years, and we do have the most incredibly rich resource of maritime heritage around the British Isles. I have walked (underwater) on ‘England’s wooden walls’! I am fifteen years out of date on the topic but I still think it’s been massively worthwhile. The Rose was repeatedly damaged over the centuries by salvage and dredging operations; it wasn’t going to last forever down there. As mentioned above, there have been innumerable spin off studies apart from the hull. Because of the Mary Rose we know about the power of the English longbow and the deformation to the forearm its prolonged use can cause. We can learn about the spread of blast furnace technology in late mediaeval Europe. The list is not endless but it’s very very very long. Haven’t been to PHD in years but as soon as the kids are old enough I’ll slap my money down no complaint.
    I have also visited the Vasa and it is indeed incredible. Most interesting for me was the sheer quantity of elaborate mythological carving on the exterior, highlighting the massive divide between the 18th century of ‘reason’ and the superstition that reigned before. Great stuff!

jon1973
    Free Member

Yep here it is. £33 for the year and it includes more than I thought it did.

I think it’s a couple of quite cheaper if you go direct to the Historic Dockyard website.

It’s an amazing day out. We went 3 times last year on our ticket. Includes a nice boat trip to the HMS Alliance Submarine and submarine museum as well.

Will be going back this year to see the Mary Rose, plus a few other new attractions they’ve added.

legend
    Free Member

And if that grubby portion also came with thousands of artefacts that told you about the life of the painter and renaissance Italy?
    Its not just a single ‘grubby portion’.

Then it would more interesting of course.

Don’t think anyone said it was

IdleJon

Don’t think anyone said it was.

Apologies. I thought your comment had some relevance to this discussion. If we’re talking hypotheticals maybe we could pose the question “What if the remains were found to be an old shopping trolley once they’d lifted it?”

MrOvershoot

nickjb – Member

Wonder how much it cost King Henry back in the day?
    That man really knew how to spend to your taxes.

Would it compare to the cost of the new Trident subs?

Quite a bit cheaper… a figure of roughly £1,104 in Tudor money, or £6,580,000 in modern project labour costs today. http://www.maryrose.org/putting-a-price-on-the-mary-rose/ Less than half the cost of a single missile.

From the same article.

If you add all these up, dividing them accordingly, you get a figure of roughly £1,104 in Tudor money, or £6,580,000 in modern project labour costs today. However, as we’ve said that leaves out some probably extreme expenditure, such as the guns, as well as possibly taking or missing expenditure from the Peter Pomegranate. Then, you have the issue of the Mary Rose being rebuilt/refitted between 1536-1539, adding further expenditure.
    So, you COULD say the Mary Rose cost £6,580,000 to build, but it probably didn’t.

So as clear as the mud it was pulled from then 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I reckon it was worth it & I’d also reckon that the majority of people who didn’t think it was worth it voted Remain in the EU referendum.

?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah, bloody Remainers………….why do they hate Tudor warships so much ?

Drac

Let’s spend the £350m we give the EU each week on the Mary Rose.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘The Mary Rose ship – has it been worth the money ?’ is closed to new replies.