Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The Lakes – extending the Borrowdale Bash?
  • colournoise

Up in The Lakes for the weekend with some mates who haven’t ridden there before. Thinking about the Borrowdale Bash on Saturday (definitely NOT including the Walla Crag to Ashness Bridge cheeky), but wondered whether there are any decent extensions (up to 10-15km?) we could add on to make a full day of it?

In the past I’ve tacked on the Lonscale Fell / Latrigg loop to the northern end, so that’s a possible but what else is there if anything?

Looked at the OS for stuff around Honister but everything that heads back onto the Bash route looks horribly cheeky (and we’d NEVER take that option)…

ton

latrigg, just because it is plain bloody amazing. and finishes with a nice downhill into the center of keswick

simondbarnes

If it’s a nice day I’d go up Skiddaw as I like being up the top of bloody big hills 🙂

colournoise

simondbarnes – Member
    If it’s a nice day I’d go up Skiddaw as I like being up the top of bloody big hills

That might be Sunday morning’s ride, weather permitting.

stevedoc
    Free Member

You could go up Honister down Warnscale beck …..sketchy and finish on the back loop of Whiteless pike to Rigg beck https://ridewithgps.com/routes/5590677

some big climbs but mental runs

jekkyl

up the bloody big hill to Whinlatter? cake n coffee before both loops and blast back down to Keswick.

colournoise

jekkyl – Member
    up the bloody big hill to Whinlatter? cake n coffee before both loops and blast back down to Keswick.

They’re all riding Whinlatter Friday before I get up there…

stevedoc – Member
    You could go up Honister down Warnscale beck …..sketchy and finish on the back loop of Whiteless pike to Rigg beck https://ridewithgps.com/routes/5590677
    some big climbs but mental runs

Looks a possible, will just have to see how much it adds on (distance and elevation – we have a mixed group fitness-wise) to the Bash route. Will mean missing Castle Crag and Catbells from the loop (some would say no big deal)?

carlos
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash to Honister Mines then the four passes is a proper day out with nice easy pedal along thermal back to the car or back up towards the mines and double back across the hillside.

Some tough climbs, some hike a bike, pretty techy descents and amazing views

Nice to tick of the four passes too

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

You could extend the bash by following the river at the bottom of the descent from Whatendlath to Rosthwaite up Langstrath valley.

Either up one side then down the other and pick up bash route, or ……… Up Langstrath valley hike a bike up stakes pass, bear left to Angle tarn then onto Sprinkling tarn, then Styhead tarn, bare right down the valley (on the last section of the 4 passes loop) to the nice finish to Stockley Bridge.
    Then pick up the Borrowdale bash loop.

Thats a pretty big add on though! 🙂

Langstrath from stakes

tarn

bullroar
    Free Member

Up Langstrath (west side of beck) to Stake Pass then Angle Tarn up and over to Sty Head and down to Seathwaite. Probably ten or so miles with plenty of climbing and techy descent then refuel in Seatoller and back on The Bash.

colournoise

bullroar – Member
    Up Langstrath (west side of beck) to Stake Pass then Angle Tarn up and over to Sty Head and down to Seathwaite. Probably ten or so miles with plenty of climbing and techy descent then refuel in Seatoller and back on The Bash.

Will take a look at that one. Thanks. We are based in Rosthwaite so anyone that doesn’t want to do the extra can cry off after the descent from Watendlath and take an early bath.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have no idea why you wouldn’t want to include walla crag?.

Up honister, down wharnscale, then up gasgale Gill and onto grisedale pike. Awesome descent.

colournoise

Comments about avoiding cheeky stuff made purely for the benefit of the fun police…

TomB

Mixed ability rings alarm bells, for some folks the standard Bash is more than enough. All the suggestions above are good, but all quite committing and involve a bit (or a lot) of carrying/pushing, which may or may not be popular with your group. I think I would take everyone round the bash plus walla, then lunch in town and see who is still keen. Then ullock pike or Blencathra if super keen, or Threlkeld/ skiddaw house/ lonscale if wanting something less committing.

Edit, don’t forget ‘get you home’ lights f going for a big day.

colournoise

Ability levels fine (all have ridden big stuff in the UK – Cadair Idris, Peak loops, ‘Ard Rock, etc. – and most have done some Alps). Just happens that none of them (apart from me) have got round to riding the Lakes yet.

Fitness is the potential issue, but as there’ll be a fair bit of hike a bike anyway even that should be OK.

scuttler

we have a mixed group fitness-wise

Fitness is the potential issue

So err on the side of caution, do something steady and enjoyable and then get yer sens down to the pub. There’s always next time for those who’ve earned their spurs.

IMO Cheeky doesn’t work on a Saturday in The Lakes unless it’s well out of the way (which Borrowdale/Derwentwater isn’t). Otherwise I might recommend Dale Head, Ill Bell, Maiden Moor, Cat Bells.

butcher

I did Skiddaw right after Borrowdale. It starts and finishes in the same place, so easy to tag on to the end if you feel you’ve not had enough. Not so much of a ride once you get half way up mind. I’ve heard claims of people riding it all, but I’m dubious! Grip goes a long time before fitness. Pretty rough up there on a miserable day though…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

BW down from Fleetwith Pike is a great technical one but then slog back up the road, the run in from the mine to the rest of the bash is decent fun for a rocky fireroad.

IMO Cheeky doesn’t work on a Saturday in The Lakes unless it’s well out of the way (which Borrowdale/Derwentwater isn’t). Otherwise I might recommend Dale Head, Ill Bell, Maiden Moor, Cat Bells.

+1
    leave the cheeky for after 4pm really

Fitness is the potential issue

Anything on top of the stuff in and out the valley or Fleetworth will involve a delightful head down bike carry for a decent way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Alternatively, I’ve had no issues riding footpaths on a Saturday, be sensible, I find a big cheery disarming greeting works a treat. MORNING!. And obviously not skelping past walkers at warp speed….

However, I’ve come across some right crabbit pricks on bridleways, generally around Ambleside.

Aristotle
    Free Member

There is some superb riding around there.

The point about ability is a good one. I love rocky and steep Lakes riding, but I have been there with other people who loved it and others who absolutely hated it -They didn’t like the hike-a-bike and walked much of the downhill.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The Lakes – extending the Borrowdale Bash?’ is closed to new replies.