• This topic has 35 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The good looking track down the side of the Ladybower Inn
  • sprocker
    Free Member

This path zig zags down and past the back of the pub. It looks good but how do you get to it from the top. Riding friday and fancy giving it a go.

crispo
    Free Member

Coming down from whinstone lee tor, take the bridleway and then as it starts to drop down so you can see the road there is a path off to the right. Follow this and drops you out at the bottom right next to the pub.

Its a cracking downhill all the way from the top!

Wozza
    Free Member

If you’re coming from the Manchester direction then after the bridge there’s a small road on the left up a bit of a hill. Follow that and you’ll find it.

It’s not that long and often holds a lot of water (it stays claggy even in summer) but if the ferns have over grown again, it’s a bit of a laugh, better than the “road of certain death” anyway.

Edit:

I was on about this one sorry: http://g.co/maps/zffr9

I think you’re on about this one: http://g.co/maps/9vm5s I don’t mean to be all “red socks” but isn’t that a footpath?

cp

It’s a footpath, so just be careful!

sprocker
    Free Member

Only 3 of us and its a Friday so should be ok, always respectful of our 2 legged friends on the odd cheeky occasion I stray onto their land. 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

😥

crispo
    Free Member

Oh, I was on about the bridleway that runs down to highshaw clough and then back along down to the pub.

JohnnyPanic

Not actually marked on the map as any public right of way, foot or otherwise.
    So it doesn’t officially exist 😀

fatboyjon

Crispo, the one you’ve describde is a bridleway and it’s a great descent.

sprocker
    Free Member

done the crispo one many times and enjoyed it just always liked the look of the other one but don’t like riding/walking up to ride down so want to get at it from the top.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Access land though, so do (almost) as you please on existing tracks (be they ROWs or not).

antigee

Access land though, so do (almost) as you please on existing tracks (be they ROWs or not).

i’d agree with you all CROW land should be open to cycling but a bit naughty as Peak National Park byelaws would say otherwise – not that the forum has ever tracked down anyone whose been taken to court

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I always do it by climbing from here up the bridleway from the lakeside. It’s a pig of a climb up stone slabs to a farm, followed by a nice little traverse/climb to the top of WLT.

Approaching it that way, the path you seek is straight on at the “crossroads” at the top of WLT.
    Obvious path on the ground. Nice singletrack descent.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Nice singletrack descent

<<leaps into the saddle of his high horse>>

It was once. Now through overuse (not helped by shouting about it on forums) it’s now really rather wide where all the numpties have ridden round all the vaguely technical bits and straightlined all the corners. Which is a real shame, as it was an awesome piece of trail.

<<canters off into the sunset>>

Superficial
    Free Member

What’s down the other way (If you’re coming up from Grindle Clough, go right at the crossroads, down towards the lake)? On the map it comes out at Ginnett House. I’ve looked down it and thought it looked fun, anyone been down?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ladybower&hl=en&ll=53.376205,-1.699671&spn=0.001307,0.003484&sll=53.431159,-2.313559&sspn=0.010445,0.027874&t=w&hnear=Ladybower+Reservoir&z=19

br1zz
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump – you can RIDE the climb up the flagstones up to the farm ????

I never even considered trying to do that !

(OK I did but I have never managed it to the top)

If you take the left at the top of WLT it’s a bridleway so no issues with walkers you still get a decent to the pub – it’s rocky !

twotonpredator

yes, ace descent and quite steep at one point. known as ‘cable ridge’ due to the telegraph pole cable right in the middle of the path just before the path runs alongside the wall.

al2000

Wahey! Lets all go onto the internet and gob off about cheeky trails, ensuring they get ruined as per JonEdwards’ description above.

thepodge
    Free Member

al2000 +1

lets do it on one of the most visible bits of the peak so that EVERYBODY knows about it and so it leaves a huge scar in the landscape.

BadlyWiredDog

Better still let’s legalise riding on footpaths and watch all our local trails get wrecked by routes guides and guidebooks… I’m not sure you can be in favour of open access to footpaths for bikes and then complain when people advocate riding footpaths.

I’m not saying anyone is, by the way, but one of the positive things about the ridiculous RoW system we have is that a lot of really good riding is essentially unknown. 😉

johnnystorm

Erm, before this thread turns into the final scene from Reservoir Dogs if the OP means the trail that’s linked to above that pops out right by the pub onto the road then it’s a perfectly legal bridleway? It’s marked as such on the OS maps and refered to in the Dark Peak trails book by Jon Barton, it’s on the Ladybower lite route.

I’ve only ridden it once, back in November but it was pretty rock strewn so I’d be surprised if a few more bikes using it led to massive erosion.

amodicumofgnar

i’d agree with you all CROW land should be open to cycling but a bit naughty as Peak National Park byelaws would say otherwise – not that the forum has ever tracked down anyone whose been taken to court

That covers some of the land owned by the National Park. This is privately owned so its trespass. I’m with al2000 and the podge on this one – best viewed as a not for the masses so try and resist the urge to be weekend trail worriers (or weekday).

RustySpanner

One of the most popular walking trails in the country.
    It’s just too busy to ride most of the time and is hideously eroded.

The number of tossers blasting down this track on a sunny day, ignorant of the impression they give to others is genuinely pathetic.

Sorry to sound so negative, but have had a couple of bad experiences walking up in a large group containing older folk who just aren’t used to the stupidity of some of us.

Can’t help thinking that a voluntary restriction, similar to the Snowdon one, would be a good thing for some of the Ladybower trails.

BadlyWiredDog

Which trail are we actually talking about, would someone like to link to it on a map? I can think of at least three that it might loosely refer to, maybe four. Two of them are legal, two aren’t.

At least three of them are not ‘one of the most popular walking trails in the country’. And to be honest, it’s stretching things to suggest that the other one is too.

antigee

That covers some of the land owned by the National Park. This is privately owned so its trespass

Thought Peak Park byelaws applied irrespective of ownership – The National Park owns very little land <5% of total
    National Trust , Water Co’s who are supposedly committed to increased use for cycling are largest land owners by long way – I believe the land is NT owned but might be wrong

some of the storm troopers that ride in the area could do with being a little more sensitive to other users

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah, link it on a map, stick a neon sign on it, why not hand out flyers.

RustySpanner

I’m thinking of the wider path from the top crossroads that comes out past the pub near the layby.

If I’ve got the wrong one then I’m sorry!

Let’s face it though, the whole area is massively overused on sunny weekends.
    It’s like Karno’s trying to ride round there sometimes.

Still good fun at night, but it’s like riding through the Trafford Centre at weekends.

amodicumofgnar

Thought Peak Park byelaws applied irrespective of ownership – The National Park owns very little land <5% of total

The biking by-law, most of the time its raised on here, is in relation to cycling on Stanage Edge. Although just looking back at a couple of posts it seems National Trust might have their own bylaws governing cycling, although the same posting also states the hillside isnt National Trust land.

Again through the miracles of google – the national park is the third largest land owner in the National Park with about 5%. National Trust is the largest with 12%.

Pieface

Its alright, once this ones trashed we can all post video’s about Parkin Clough, just so the Rangers know exactly where we’re riding, but as long as we keep grumbling about MXers ripping up Win Hill then its all ok.

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, link it on a map, stick a neon sign on it, why not hand out flyers.

But the only track on the map is a bridleway 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

parkin clough… 😯 Walleater rode most of it with some finesse once..

sprocker
    Free Member

I would have ridden down it anyway I know were it is just wanted a pointer from the start, only a quick post that needed one quick answer. Alternatively the trail police can post up and draw more attention to it. What is this local ownerships bollocks (not that I live that far away) unless you are land owner …k off. I don’t mind people coming to ride the trails I have contributed to building in my local woods as long as they respect the other users and don’t leave litter. I don’t even mind them skidding and causing braking bumps or ruts shock horror.

amodicumofgnar

…k off

cough? Do you mean clough?

james
    Free Member

“now really rather wide where all the numpties have ridden round all the vaguely technical bits and straightlined all the corners”
    +1, boggy, wet, straitlined everywhere. Don’t bother, let it recover, its an eyesore from the bamford road anyway

“you can RIDE the climb up the flagstones up to the farm ????”
    I can almost manage it. Always seem to spin out on the last couple of steps before the gate. Its annoying as I’ve seen a friend make it all the way to the gate, and another make it though the gate (though starting about 5metres back)

andeh

It’s hardly the Peak’s best kept secret. Some of you are worse than bloody dirt jumpers.

A little common sense goes a long way. Don’t ride at peak times and don’t make a fuss. I doubt you’d get walkers down there anyway.

Pook

loads of walkers down (and up) there, and the ranger has made it one of his regular patrols.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘The good looking track down the side of the Ladybower Inn’ is closed to new replies.