Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 264 total)
  • The European experiment is over.
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Binners – that is no evidence of the snp policy on banking regulation. Why can you not see this?

So please – evidence to back your assertion that the snp favour light touch banking regulation.

trailmonkey

ok, tj, justify, from my comments on the thread why i am a little englander

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta Ernie.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trailmonkey – did I call you a little englander?

But if the hat fits………………

trailmonkey

But if the hat fits………………

go on, prove it, if you’re going to insinuate.

Well you certainly came over as rather thick…………..you clearly had absolutely no idea what the term “little englander” meant

oh, i think i know. but thanks for the love all the same 8)

binners

I give up. You’re right TJ. You always are. I was wrong. Kim Il Salmond, when he inevitably gets to wield supreme executive power over us all, promises to be the scourge of bankers everywhere. All his proclamations point to exactly this conclusion

🙄

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ – since the mines and much of the nationalised industries were running at a loss at the time, would it be any different if the money was being spent on unemployment benefits, or propping up loss making industries?

You seem to overlook the fact that the alternative to making people unemployed, was to continue to pay their wages, which would probably have cost more.

Now, back to your other comments:

“Little Englander” is by no means a racist term as it is not “negative sterotyping on grounds of race”.

Which is like something from Alice through the looking glass – When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone,it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

Tell you what TJ, would you find the phrase Porridge Wog racist? I mean, it doesn’t appear to introduce any form of negative sterotype… so by your standards thats OK 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Where have I called you a little englander? Have I even insinuated? please point out where I have. I merely asked you if you thought you were. If the hat fits wear it. If it doesn’t then don’t.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Binners – please give me some evidence to back your assertion So far you have not done so. Nothing you have posted mentions banking regulation at all.

binners

I’ve no intention of doing so TJ. i’ve admitted I’m wrong and you’re right. I don’t know what i was thinking. You’ve effectively ‘re-educated’ me.

I’m basing this on the mountains of evidence you yourself have supplied on the subject.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think it might be time for the mods to intervene tbh.

This was quite funny for a while.

trailmonkey

If the hat fits wear it. If it doesn’t then don’t

I suggest you apply the same logic to yourself.

If you’re not a small minded bigot then let it go.

binners

and returning to a previous tangent, here’s a nice building:

Its much maligned and often overlooked. That’s one of the reasons I like it so much. It was designed by Henry Moore. Whats not to like?

What’s your favourite building TJ?

clubber
    Free Member

Some very silly people on this thread.

TJ, on the point of regulation, I think unfortunately that you’re being overly optimistic or more to the point just believing that everyone else can be brought round to your Comrade-TJ beliefs. I can see no reason to believe that Scotland would likely have been any different to the rest of the UK or most other Euro countries in not regulating the banks properly. Greed is common over the borders amongst both politicians and bankers. Which politicians were actually
    shouting for more regulation before it became obvious that the whole house of cards were really about to come crashing down? (Yes, I know it’s obvious that it had to happen eventually).

Your view seems to be rather idealised and unrealistic. It’s possible that an independent Scotland would have tightened banking regulation, but in reality not very likely.

Same as your general assertion that NHS (and other) cuts by the current regime are ideological rather than necessary, a point to which I agree to some extent but since the alternative is taxing many people more than currently which isn’t something that the electorate would generally tolerate (we’ve become far too selfish as a society to accept that) it isn’t going to happen no matter how much you bleat on about it.

None so evangelical as the ‘converted’ eh… 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clubber – I don’t disagree. No where on this thread have I said anything different. I merely asked Binners to provide some evidence for his assertions.

It’s possible that an independent Scotland would have tightened banking regulation, but in reality not very likely.

Seems perfectly reasonable. However Binners was asserting that Scotland would have had light touch banking regulation without any evidence. I hoped he would provide some but seemed unable to do so.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trailmonkey – point tioo a single post where I said you were a little englander?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well maybe you should write a list of names to clarify.

trailmonkey

Trailmonkey – point tioo a single post where I said you were a little englander?

You didn’t, you made a sweeping generalisation across the thread, which really was the root of the problem.

Having said that, yes, it’s all rather silly now and i much prefered the buildings thread drift.

uplink
    Free Member

I agree with TJ

toys19
    Free Member

uplink – Member

I agree with TJ

Me too.

luked2
    Free Member

Little Englander, from Wikipedia:

Historically, and more accurately, the term indicated an anti-imperialist political stance

The British Empire did a lot of good things, but quite a few fairly grim things (e.g. invention of concentration camps). I don’t want to resurrect it.

So I’m happy to be labeled a Little-Englander.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

What a horrible, horrible thread.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh heh! Is this still going??!

I can’t even remember my original thoughts on all this. I think I just came on for a good argue. Then some people started having a go at TJ, then I had a pop at them, and they din’t like it.

As for ‘Little Englanders’…

I’ve used that term many a time, because it’s actually perfect for some of the folk on here. They are Little Englanders. Racist? Well, I’m English, and so is TJ. It’s no more ‘racist’ than calling someone a ‘Chav’. It’s amusing that some of those most vehement about being labelled ‘Little Englanders’ are happy to throw insulting terms around towards others.

And now we know it winds them up, well, it’s like a red rag to a bull, really.

If you don’t want to be labelled a Little Englander, then don’t act like one. Simples. But if you do, then don’t start crying if someone calls you it.

In fact, the more this nonsense carries on, the more some folk look like Little Englanders. 😆

Anyway, Binners has the right idea..

This is the Vikingskipet (Viking ship) in Hamar, Norway, whose design was inspired by the idea of an upturned Viking boat. It was built for the 1994 Lillehammer Winter Lympics, as a speed-skating rink, but it has also hosted a UCI track cycling World Championship too. Graham Obree set the World Hour Record in it in 1993. Vikings would use upturned boats as shelter, they would have done so when they first landed on the shores of Scotland.

Lovely bit of architecture, this:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They are Little Englanders. Racist? Well, I’m English, and so is TJ.

I can’t believe you forgot to mention that not only are you English, but you are also not very tall.

KT1973
    Free Member

Some nice architecture amongst the horseshit being spoken. Being born somewhere shouldn’t define you or seal your fate, nor should you expect special treatment.
    Ask not what your country can do for you and all that……

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can’t believe you forgot to mention that not only are you English, but you are also not very tall.

Yeah? So? That’s hereditary actually, as both my parents are small. Which makes you a racist.

I don’t care anyway because you’re ugly and you smell. 😥

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you ever tire of dancing on the head of a pint TJ?
    It is clear to all that SNP bigged up the small European countries when they were in boom times and used their economic model as an example of what Scotland would do if they were independent. It is fairly clear, to all but the obtuse, what his view was generally on the banking sector- perhaps you should produce some quotes where he was screaming for financial regulation prior to the collapse – you know both sides need to produce evidence [ bet you claim you never said that etc]– I think we should take a lack of comment as indicative that he broadly supported the status quo re regulation.

Binners was asserting that Scotland would have had light touch banking regulation without any evidence. I hoped he would provide some but seemed unable to do so

Again reasonable to assume that his lack of comment on this means he was ok with the current/old system.
    It is a pointless argument TJ there is no direct quote re regulation – are you suggesting he has no view then? You suggesting he used them aa models but actually opposed their regualtion system – this does seem a a somewhat unlikely position – prima facie

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can we all agree this is ugly?

luked2
    Free Member

More buildings please.

backhander
    Free Member

Hmm. Care to remind us what exactly it was that you said to SimonFBarnes, that got you banned, a couple of months ago? Wasn’t very nice, was it?

I didn’t say a word to sfb, although I did have a day ban once. How many times you have been permanently banned for exactly the behaviour which I described earlier Fred?
    I don’t even know but it’s a good few now.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The european experiment is not over – it’s just getting interesting.

to which the previous 6 pages are testimony.

Ireland/Portugal/Iceland/Greece/Spain/the rest of us/etc. are not in financial trouble because of the Euro-dollar, or the european union, they/we are in trouble because they/we’ve been spending Billions that they/we didn’t have.

silly sods.

it turns out that you can’t build an economy from selling debt to one another, or rather, you can, but don’t expect it to stand up for very long.

hora
    Free Member

Ireland/Portugal/Iceland/Greece/Spain/ are not in financial trouble because of the Euro-dollar, or the european union, they are in trouble because they’ve been spending Billions that they didn’t have

Herein lies the biggest weakness of the Euro/single economy.

There will always be states that are carried. Permanently.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes, we wouldn’t do anything silly like that

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I didn’t say a word to sfb, although I did have a day ban once

Well that’s a lie for a start.

The actual post has been removed, but I know you posted it, because I read it.

I’ve never, ever posted anything anywhere near that offensive at all. In fact, I’ve never actually bin banned for breaking forum rules; just that the mods decided the number of complaints about me was too much. Complaints from people who can’t accept that someone else had a different point of view to them, and got wound up by things. I’ve accepted my behaviour needed to change, and have taken appropriate steps. I’ve grown up and moved on. I suggest you do the same.

I shan’t respond to you about this matter, as I now consider it closed, and continuing this ‘discussion’ will serve no positive purpose.

Anyway, back to more important matters…

Not a building as such, but continuing along the ‘Norwegian Lympic Venue’ seam, see this, right, it’s a cavern inside a mountain at a place called Gjøvik, in Norway. Was used for the ice hockey tournament, and is also a concert venue. it’s the largest ‘underground’ public arena in the World. A stunning feat of engineering.

ahwiles
    Free Member

hora – Member

Ireland/Portugal/Iceland/Greece/Spain/ are not in financial trouble because of the Euro-dollar, or the european union, they are in trouble because they’ve been spending Billions that they didn’t have

Herein lies the biggest weakness of the Euro/single economy.

only if they keep spending money they don’t have…

i’m not sure i believe this, but… i could argue that the current mess we’re in is because Europe didn’t have enough power – to tell ireland to stop spending money like a drunk sailor in a whore-house.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, but only in the same way in a country, there will always be areas that produce less than others, and maybe require more spending on services and that. Frinstance; should the people of Northern Ireland have public spending cut simply because their ‘input’ is less than other regions? No, they’re part of the United Kingdom, and should have a fair share. As for ‘permanently’, you can see into the future then, Hora?

Pft. You can’t even forsee the slap that Binners is going to give you next time he sees you…. 😀

trailmonkey

This is my favourite govt. building. Depending on the light it’s either transparent or reflects the people looking in, very clever and rather nice to look at.

backhander
    Free Member

I didn’t get a ban for that. And I don’t believe you about your numerous bannings. Just why did so many people complain about you fred? I wonder……

Junkyard
    Free Member

ok you dont believe him he does not believe you.
    Thrilling as this is can we move on now ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now we’re onto rooves, I’ll slide along the Lympic seam, back home to Blighty. The new Aquatics Centre for 2012 is shaping up nicely, and will look stunning:

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘The European experiment is over.’ is closed to new replies.