Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 203 total)
  • The Empire STRIKES back…Who's striking then…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

grantway you dont know me I can assure you I am not jealous

anagallis_arvensis nor am I angry

I am entitled as you lot are to say how I feel am I not ?

I am fully aware that pensions are not free

So if I took out a pension (which isn’t free!) I wouldn’t get any contribution from my employer so therefore I am far more worse off than public sector workers…At least its contributed be happy you get something!

anagallis_arvensis

Problem is project if the school wanted me too leave because I was unfit to work I’d get 1/2 the years available to me that I would have worked, why would I leave to go to work in B&Q? They’d have a hell of a task getting rid of me. It would cost and will be widespread… it will not be a way of getting the best education for kids.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

country’s up sh*t creek why take more!

grantway
    Free Member

TroutWrestler – Member
    The employer contributes 14.9%. This is the deal that I signed up to, and was part of my consideration when picking a career in which I knew I’d never get rich.

Our pensions were restructured in 2007 for new entrants who accrue at a different rate. The point of this exercise was to ensure the long term viability of the scheme.

What is the difference now? In the Post-2008 world the Government want to reduce the deficit and Public Sector workers are an easy target for a 3% tax increase. The STSS doesn’t need the money, but Government coffers do.

Why not just increase Income Tax for everyone by 3%? Because Public Sector workers are easy to single out and unlikely to vote Tory anyway.

Why cut Tax Credits? Because recipients are unlikely to vote Tory anyway.

See a pattern?

Na, doubt it most voted Tory to be hip and to shy of there working class backgrounds

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

no tory votes in this household!

grantway
    Free Member

So if I took out a pension (which isn’t free!) I wouldn’t get any contribution from my employer so therefore I am far more worse off than public sector workers…At least its contributed be happy you get something!

Then get a low paid public sector job. But you still will not be happy
    being its low paid

You are Jealous and bitter

sweepy
    Free Member

Im striking, so’s the Mrs.

If Callmedave can tell me one thing he’s had to go without this year i’ll believe we’re all in this together

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

its my view it doesn’t make me jealous I am just stating the obvious and its obvious that most people on this site work in the public sector or just don’t have an opinion or just don’t care.

5thElefant
    Free Member

In the Post-2008 world the Government want to reduce the deficit and Public Sector workers are an easy target for a 3% tax increase.

The public sector doesn’t contribute to tax. They’re a cost, not a revenue stream. The government may well be cutting the cost by 3% though.

grantway
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member
    its my view it doesn’t make me jealous I am just stating the obvious and its obvious that most people on this site work in the public sector or just don’t have an opinion or just don’t care.

Pointless
    And Jealousy has got you no where

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

its your perception of what you think of me grantway but it seems pointless to keep saying I’m jealous how is that productive?

mudshark
    Free Member

Presumably all the strikers here support the striking Greeks?

non sequitur

That’s Latin not Greek…anyway, I wonder if the Greeks would agree with you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The public sector doesn’t contribute to tax

how do I go abut claiming back my Income tax, VAT and N.I. then?

BillMC

Yep. Striking for the second time this year even though at my great age the ‘reforms’ will not affect me. Why did the government say they couldn’t do anything about the tax-payer funded £693000 pa pension of Sir Fred Goodwin when they see fit to ride roughshod over us?
    Apropos of Danny Alexander, MP’s pension deals and redundancy payoffs are fantastic, even after only one term of office.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You lot moan but at least your pension is contributed and you’ll get a lump sum of some sort ! How the **ck is that fair?

Nope, I’m moaning because public sector workers/ordinary working people are being attacked by a Tory government.

I’m moaning because the Tories have transformed a crisis of the banks into a crisis of public spending.

I’m not a public sector worker, I’m not even on the cards.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Come and spend a week with me and then tell me that having teachers in their late 60’s is a good idea.

Ditto nurses.
    Ditto prison officers.
    Ditto ambulance technicians or paramedics.
    Ditto social workers

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

With age comes experience and knowledge

v8ninety

Not taking action myself purely by the coincidence that it happens to be a day off. I WILL be going down to the local ambulance station to distribute hot food and good wishes to the hard working crews who will be manning picket lines when they are not out responding to treble nines from the picket line.

What gets lost in this whole circular argument is that a pension deal is just part of the overall pay and remuneration package. If the country can’t afford this package, then at least be honest and admit that what is mooted is a massive pay/remuneration cut for the nurses, teachers, social workers, healthcare assistants, paramedics, etc etc.

If the Tories came out and said “look, we just don’t think your worth anywhere NEAR what you are getting now” to these people, then at least it would be honest. Not nice, but honest.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If the Tories came out and said “look, we just don’t think your worth anywhere NEAR what you are getting now” to these people, then at least it would be honest. Not nice, but honest.

You want them to spell it out to you ?

They’ve already told you that they want you to live in fear :

Public sector workers need ‘discipline and fear’, says Oliver Letwin

“Oliver Letwin, the coalition’s policy minister, has revealed the government’s determination to instil “fear” among those working in the public sector”

How much nastier do you want them to get ?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Big n daft or i could just carry on teaching and be progressively worse at it and spend a load of time off sick.

it’s called performance management, it helps manage people, or does your comment explain why so few teachers get managed out

Unfit you chose that i chose something else

errrr…. yes, you have no divine right to stand in front of a class, nor do you have a divine right to retire 7 years earlier than the people who pay the employer contributions

TroutWrestler – Member
    The employer contributes 14.9%. This is the deal that I signed up to, and was part of my consideration when picking a career in which I knew I’d never get rich.

I thought you signed up for a job that paid relatively well, offered career progression if you wanted it, security if you wanted to sit in a particular job and a pension that you can’t get anywhere else, you are can’t be comparing yourself to a shelf stacker at Tesco just because the Tesco main board are considered “rich”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Without wishing to muddy the waters any more… Whenever I read these strike threads, I’m ‘struck’ by; how well the media campaign has been fought, how little solidarity there is left, the extent to which folks think of themselves rather than the greater good.

Even reading that, i can see how the wrong people will think it is written in support of their viewpoint.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nope. There is a place and time to do so but now is not that time nor that place to do so.

🙄

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Ditto nurses.
    Ditto prison officers.
    Ditto ambulance technicians or paramedics.
    Ditto social workers

Ditto builders
    Ditto roofers
    Ditto scaffolders
    Ditto anyone that digs for a job
    Ditto etc

anagallis_arvensis

Big n daft those jobs rely on fitness not mental agility

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Without wishing to muddy the waters any more… Whenever I read these strike threads, I’m ‘struck’ by; how well the media campaign has been fought, how little solidarity there is left, the extent to which folks think of themselves rather than the greater good.

Even reading that, i can see how the wrong people will think it is written in support of their viewpoint.

The roads will be quiet on Wednesday. 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Big n daft those jobs rely on fitness not mental agility

Ditto accountants
    ditto solicitors
    Ditto quantity surveyors
    Ditto etc

teaching is not the only profession where people need to be able to perform to retirement age

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

My wife is striking, but is actually planning on going into school to sort out a few things whilst it is empty!

I on the other hand will be looking after our kids, whose school is shut + couple of our friends kids.

Drac

nor do you have a divine right to retire 7 years earlier than the people who pay the employer contributions

Ah that’ll be me then, no wait it can’t be I work in the public sector so work and purchase everything tax free.

With age comes experience but it may not be good and knowledge if you can be bothered to learn

There that’s now true.

mcboo
    Free Member

Teachers Strike 30/11/11
    5 posts & 5 voices | Started 58 minutes ago by 2twenty0 | Add this topic to your favorites (?)
    Tags:
    No tags yet.

2twenty0 – Member
    Ok, looking to ride on weds as have the day off. Turns out all my friends actually have jobs, so does anyone fancy hooking up for a ride in the North West, Peaks, degla etc? XC or DH not really bothered.

Posted 58 minutes ago # Report-Post

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/teachers-strike-301111#post-3220103

Oops

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member

Ditto builders
    Ditto roofers
    Ditto scaffolders
    Ditto anyone that digs for a job
    Ditto etc

Ditto accountants
    ditto solicitors
    Ditto quantity surveyors
    Ditto etc

teaching is not the only profession where people need to be able to perform to retirement age

I never had you down as a radical big and daft. Good for you for putting the case for a sensible retirement age across the board.

Were you influenced by the news of over one million unemployed young people ?

CaptJon
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member
    yes, you have no divine right to stand in front of a class, nor do you have a divine right to retire 7 years earlier than the people who pay the employer contributions

As a university lecturer it is very easy to find out what i earn, what my pension deal is, and what i do for that money. We are pretty transparent; that comes with providing a public service people want to consume. It also makes us an easy target. Perhaps you could even things up by telling us what you do, what you earn and what else makes up your renumeration package (apologies if i’ve missed it). Then the forum can pass judgement on whether you’re worth it, maybe undermine what you do, suggest new working practices and a new pay package.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

” Perhaps you could even things up by telling us what you do, what you earn and what else makes up your renumeration package (apologies if i’ve missed it). Then the forum can pass judgement on whether you’re worth it, maybe undermine what you do, suggest new working practices and a new pay package”

I started/manage a bike shop six years ago that is owned by a charity, we employ 3 adults with learning difficulties on a full time basis and 5 more adults come and gain work experience throughout the week.

I do this on my own I don’t receive a pension nor can I afford one I earn under £30000 and have a family, my wife doesn’t work as child care would be more than we earn! (she is a trained nurse)

There you go shout abuse at me all you like!

As I said strike away you get no sympathy from me…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I catch the train in in a morning with 2 fellsa that work for a Coastal Guarding Agency * neither are Union members, both are taking the day off to go sailing.

* do you really need to know what this agency is called

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I started/manage a bike shop six years ago that is owned by a charity, we employ 3 adults with learning difficulties on a full time basis and 5 more adults come and gain work experience throughout the week.

How is this charity funded?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Adults get funding part of that funding goes to my wage building rent running the program etc the shop is in profit (just) and that goes back into running the charity else where.

These guys get a job rather than pushing trolly’s around at tesco or asda

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

As I said strike away you get no sympathy from me…

It’s not sympathy we want, it’s solidarity. One day they will come for you.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Adults get funding

How much?

I’m not having a go BTW, sounds admirable, but what I’d like to check is whether there is a point at which the whole enterprise couldn’t work without the public sector?

A small part of the hypocrisy of the “public sector is a cost not a revenue stream” argument is that hardly anyone with kids would be in a position to work in the private sector at all if it weren’t for the fact that teachers took their kids off their hands all day.

And I’d also take a guess that your business couldn’t run like it does without a bunch of public sector employees giving support to those adults with learning difficulties that you mention?

binners

In all honesty, it seems to me like all you public sector workers are just pawns in Thatcherism Versus the Unions, Part 2, the sequel

Except this isn’t the 1980’s. Its way WAAAAAAAAAAY worse than that. So what’s required is for everyone to stop acting like a bunch of ****ing 4 year olds, sit down and sort it out!

Michael Gove was right yesterday. There are a load of Union Leaders itching for a scrap. But frankly, pointing that out is a bit ****ing rich coming from this lot. The tory right are rubbing there hands with glee at the prospect of strikes too. I’m sure the rent-a-mob of the Lefty/Anarchist lot, and at the Met are looking forward to some good rucks.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will look on in disgust and despair as the economy disappears further down the tubes, while the ‘leaders’ of both parties make the most of their pathetic macho posturing and rabble-rousing

Its pathetic and Its short-sighted. The general public, who are in possession of a brain, will regard both sides as equally sad and misguided. So we won’t be seeing this as a battle where you have to take sides. And in the end we all lose! There will be no winners. Oh… except Call-me-Dave and Mark bloody Serwotka. Their huge salaries and gold-plated pensions will be equally unaffected

The lot of you need your ****ing heads banging together!

Drac

The lot of you need your ****ing heads banging together!

Woahhh! There.

I agree the Unions and the Government need to sort it out but the Government refused to listen so sadly Union vote was for industrial action. I’d rather there was a discussion, who wouldn’t out of the employees but you can’t blame the members and workers when the head of the parties can’t sort it over a cup of tea.

Drac

I do this on my own I don’t receive a pension nor can I afford one I earn under £30000 and have a family, my wife doesn’t work as child care would be more than we earn! (she is a trained nurse)

I’m sure you have your reason but if you earn less than £30k and no pension yet you believe the propaganda that nurses earn over £30k and with a pension. Why aren’t you at home? It’s a curious question so if you choose not to answer for personal reasons then I’m happy with that.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 203 total)

The topic ‘The Empire STRIKES back…Who's striking then…’ is closed to new replies.