Viewing 40 posts - 2,441 through 2,480 (of 6,661 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t bother with maintenance on a 2 year lease on a car with a warranty. I had to pay for the first service at 1 year, cost £73. Maintenance was more than that….

Kryton57

The company is paying most of it tbh, and their insisting on maintenance included.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah, fair point!

Good choice of car.

simon_g

Nice, I do like the EV6. The Air apparently doesn’t have V2L on the spec sheet but if you buy the adaptor that plugs into the charging socket it works – handy for camping/racing/powercuts etc.

Visited a mate at the weekend, first time I’d done that trip in my new Leaf. So nice to knock out 135 motorway miles without thinking about it, propilot set to 72, no care for economy, even left the roofbars on. Loads left when I arrived – and he has his own EV now so a proper charger to use rather than a long extension and the granny charger.

In the egolf it was either a more time-consuming but shorter route through London, or a very careful eco drive the motorway route if it’s not wet/cold/windy, or a charge needed.

I don’t need the bigger range much of the time but it’s so nice to have for trips like that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah it is nice to be able to drive so cheaply.

I have to go to North Wales in a couple of weeks, which involves a great drive through Mid Wales, for which I’d love to drive the diesel. But it’ll cost about 3.5x as much as taking the EV. The other issue is that it’s 186 miles to my accommodation. It has a rapid charger next door, but that’s right on the limit of the range I’d expect, and I’m not sure how the hilly terrain would affect it. And there are naff all rapid chargers in Mid Wales, I’d have to take a detour to top up.

I’d average about 4.5p a mile if I charged at 40p/kWh when I get there – based on 5p/kWh at home and 40p at a rapid charger, and 5 miles/kWh economy; versus about 15.7p/mile in the diesel. So about £40 all in for the privilege of driving the nicer car and not having to either a) drive super eco carefully or b) take a diversion on the way there to top up.

pedlad

That ~£500 lease for the EV6 – is that gross or net salary sacrifice?
    Long range battery? 2WD or AWD?
    What mileage is the lease for?

phiiiiil

And there are naff all rapid chargers in Mid Wales, I’d have to take a detour to top up.

The Rhug Estate in Corwen on the A5 have announced they are getting eight rapid chargers; given the charging desert that is mid-Wales I imagine these will be a game changer for getting up to Snowdonia and around.

https://goo.gl/maps/xSmEeMBYsaLGbf9AA

No idea when they are due to open, mind

Daffy

£530/m ??? heck, that’s a lot of money. That value assumes that the car will depreciate by almost £20k over 3 years and be worth only half of its £41k value in an emergent and growing market…

mrchrispy

I suspect the current leasing prices are more influenced by supply issue than depreciation.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh those A5 chargers look useful but not for me 🙂

ta11pau1

Interesting video where they run a model Y from 100% until it dies, never realised how much further it can go on 0%…

Question for anyone who shares electricity bills, if you charge a car at home, is there any way to separate the charging cost from regular electric usage?

Say if you were in a house share, with 3 people all paying a third of the electric bill. 2 with combustion cars, the third gets an electric car and charges from home for 75% of their miles. Any way of working it out, apart from trying to work out how much energy it’s used (not easy if it’s on trickle all the time) or paying a set extra amount? If they do 500 miles on home charging that’s a good £40 or so and I’m sure the other 2 won’t be happy paying for part of charging cost!

Kuco

My Podpoint comes with an app and when you set it up you put in your hourly KWH charge that your electric supplier charges you then you can keep track from the app.

Kryton57

That ~£500 lease for the EV6 – is that gross or net salary sacrifice?
    Long range battery? 2WD or AWD?
    What mileage is the lease for?

It’ll be salary sacrifice. It’s the RWD version official range 335 miles. Becuase it’s not coming until Feb, we are negotiating cancellation into the order. Even the dealer said that prices have rocketed and it might be better to wait.

ta11pau1

My Podpoint comes with an app and when you set it up you put in your hourly KWH charge that your electric supplier charges you then you can keep track from the app.

Ahh, nice – that makes sense, thought there would be something to solve this. Otherwise you’re blindly moving running costs into household costs.

molgrips
    Free Member

My car also has an app that breaks it down even by trip, which would be handy of you shared the car and also for claiming expenses.

mrchrispy

yup, pop-point app tells you how much the charging sessions are.
    my 4hour off-peak charging window gives me 30kWh for less that £3 and its about 50% charge (64kWh battery)…its the car thats controlling the charge not the pod, but it can

Flaperon

my 4hour off-peak charging window gives me 30kWh for less that £3 and its about 50% charge

Isn’t the issue the 30p+ /kWh that you pay for everything that isn’t a car?

trail_rat
    Free Member

That value assumes that the car will depreciate by almost £20k over 3 years and be worth only half of its £41k value in an emergent and growing market…

That assumption assumes the markets saturated with stock and every one is competing for the business barely covering costs.

That was never the market model 😉

mrchrispy

yeah the off peak rate is a bit more than we’d normally get but I’m still to work out EV tariff is right for us. will dust of my spreadsheet’foo

Daffy

I really want a Lucid Air. Just the cheapest would be awesome.

dantsw13

I was torn between the Ioniq 5 & EV6. The I5 was better for longer driving as opposed to the slightly sportier EV6.

My workmdeal was better for the I5 too – top spec AWD with tech/eco packs for the ame price as a RWD EV6.

The german EVs were another £200-300/mo extra.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I don’t think this has been mentioned on this thread yet but Tesla have opened up 15 of their supercharger hubs to non-Tesla vehicles. Access is through the Tesla app. Sites are Aberystwyth, Adderstone, Aviemore, Banbury, Birmingham St Andrews, Cardiff, Dundee, Flint, Folkestone Eurotunnel, Grays, Manchester Trafford Centre, Thetford, Trumpington, Uxbridge and Wokingham. The Aberystwyth and Flint Mountain hubs will be welcome in the charging desert that is Mid and North Wales.

dantsw13

Not Cheap though!!!! 60+p/KW.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, but I suspect most people, like me, will be happy to pay that for the occasional fill up, when their daily driving is cheap at home.

It’s a good thing all in, I reckon, despite the cost. It’s not even the most expensive option!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Not Cheap though!!!!

Well Ionity are still 69p per kWh

There’s an option to pay a subscription for lower price per kWh. If its anything like the Tesla subscription service in The Netherlands you can take out the subscription for, say a month, if you were going on a road trip and passing a few Tesla hubs. Not like other subscriptions which lock you in for a year.

dantsw13

Ionity are at motorway services, so convenient stopping points (I see a lot of Teslas on Ionity chargers). I’m not knocking it, more options are great, but as a non-Tesla driver, it isn’t a gamechanger.

molgrips
    Free Member

Still a bit crap on the main north-south route in Wales though, the A470. I could top up in Brecon, but that’s only 40 miles from home so it’d be slow and annoying, or I could take a 10 mile detour to Newtown to fill up mid-trip. But in both cases there’s only a single charger there, that’s the main issue. It’s hard to rely on a single charger with 100 miles to the next one. We need more charging stations not single isolated chargers, which is why the Tesla announcement is so good.

revs1972
    Free Member

Well Ionity are still 69p per kWh

There’s an option to pay a subscription for lower price per kWh. If its anything like the Tesla subscription service in The Netherlands you can take out the subscription for, say a month, if you were going on a road trip and passing a few Tesla hubs. Not like other subscriptions which lock you in for a year.

I got a free 1 year subscription from BMW for Ionity and BP pulse that gives you the reduced rate of 26p per Kwh. Trouble is whenever I have needed to charge there are none about 🙁

I have mostly used Instavolt or Gridserve when I have had to charge away from home which are around 50p .

uponthedowns
    Free Member

My go-tos are Instavolt, Osprey and Gridserve.

I’m not knocking it, more options are great, but as a non-Tesla driver, it isn’t a gamechanger.

I think it might be if you regularly travelled into North Wales and it would be a game changer for me if they opened up the Tebay services superchargers then I could break my regular Scotland to England journey at the lovely Westmorland Services. Only two Gridverve chargers there at the moment so not worth taking a chance as I’d be on pretty low charge by then. As it stands I normally stop at Instavolt Penrith where there’s a nice Booths restaurant.

mrchrispy

I did a quick (3kWh) test charge at the trafford centre Tesla chargers last weekend…much to the confusion of the Tesla driver in the bay next to me 🙂
    worked perfectly fine on my eNiro, the short cables just about reached if I parked really close to the unit

dantsw13

No doubt if Tesla were my best local option I would be very happy. On my current subscription car service I get free charging with BP pulse, which is a dreadful network. Too many single chargers and flaky machines.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I get free charging with BP pulse, which is a dreadful network.

I’m shocked and amazed! Who would have thought that an oil company could make a complete mess of an EV charging network?

molgrips
    Free Member

Who would have thought that an oil company could make a complete mess of an EV charging network?

To be fair, a renewable energy company also made a mess of it, so I’m not sure it’s a conspiracy.

Mark

Peugeot e208 going into the 2nd hand market – and good riddance. Awful bloody car

For interest, what was wrong with it? It was on my shortlist but I bought an e-Up.

From a few pages and weeks back.
    So the e208 is really good looking and lovely to drive but the connectivity is dreadful. By that I mean the app and all those functions you rely on. The app is the worst app I’ve ever used. Takes 2 minutes to connect to the car, you have to login every time you open it and you can only have one login account that you need to share across all drivers. There’s a connect to Peugeot button in the car so there’s clearly a SIM in there somewhere but if you want to find your car you have to have remembered to drop a pin on the map in the app, which just uses Apple maps. AAARGH!

It’s had a couple of software updates in the last 2 years. To update the car you need to do the following.

1 – Download the update to a laptop and then copy it on to a pen drive. The update is usually around 20gb so you need a 32gb pen drive! I used a 32gb memory card and a USB card reader.
    2 – You insert the pen drive in the USB port in the car. Turn on the car while you are pressing the brake pedal and wait. After a few minutes it starts the update.
    3 The Update can take up to 45 minutes during which time you MUST remain in the car with the seatbelt on.
    4 – When the update is complete you find out that the update was for the satnav that your car doesn’t have and you have wasted 45 minutes of your life replacing your cars software with the exact same software it already had.

It’s had the on board charger replaced twice in 2 years. We don’t have the 10 inch screen version so there’s no built in satnav. We use Carplay but the issue is that carplay won’t load if you start the car before you connect your phone. We’ve had the tyre inflation warning light on since we got it and even though it’s been in the dealer 4 times in total for warranty work in 2 years they still haven’t been able to find out what’s wrong with it. The GOM (Guess o’meter) is useless. One day it’s suggest we could get 250miles the next it’s showing 120 – It showed 298miles once! We did 140 on that charge.

There’s a whole load of other little bugbears with it. My old 30kw leaf was much better and got almost the same range as the e208. I was averaging 3.9m/kw in the Leaf. the E208 is about 3m/kw for us. It’s a 50kw battery with 45kw of it useable.

It will be for sale when our EV6 turns up if anyone is interested 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

And I thought our Hyundai’s electronics were annoying. That’s horrendous.

the E208 is about 3m/kw for us

That’s diabolical for a small car.

Mark

Yes.
    First trip back to the dealer was to have it all checked over to make sure the range wasn’t being buggered by something. The fact we had a benchmark of 2 previous years with a Leaf reassured us that the crappy range wasn’t of our own making.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m shocked and amazed! Who would have thought that an oil company could make a complete mess of an EV charging network?

whats chargeplacescotlands excuse for the shite connectivity and service availibility then ?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

whats chargeplacescotlands excuse for the shite connectivity and service availibility then ?

SWARCO took over CPS back office operations from Charge Your Car in July 2021 at which point the network was in a sorry state. SWARCO have made some improvements but its been slow progress not helped by fragmented ownership and maintenance of the CPS chargers.

Oh and Charge Your Car is owned by BP Chargemaster. It used to be a decent network before BP bought it. Bit of a common theme here.

Greybeard
    Free Member

@Mark, thanks for that response. To be fair, the app for the eUp is pretty rubbish too. It sometimes struggles to connect, and it reports the range based on the consumption on the previous journey, or perhaps the previous 50km (it doesn’t tell you, that’s just from what I can see). But we get 5miles/kWh or better unless doing something like carrying a kayak on the roof bars on a motorway in winter.

dantsw13

Ive done 2000 miles in the MG 5 now, overall at 3.9 mi/kWh in a biggish estate.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,441 through 2,480 (of 6,661 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.