• This topic has 6,660 replies, 372 voices, and was last updated 5 hours ago by andylc.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 6,661 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • molgrips
    Free Member

There could be a lot of cheap second hand EVs when it plays through which would still be fine for most people’s driving/second car.

Yes, I think cheap EVs fit better for second car usage but second cars need to be cheap, so maybe the market will force that come 2030.

mert
    Free Member

…but the point I was making is that profit per unit will not be high as the capital cost of the manufacturing assets are being carried across a smaller number of units.

Except the vast vast majority of manufacturers still in business share the line between multiple products. It’s relatively easy to send both electric and dino juice cars down the same production line, until the volume of electric cars justifies it’s own production line. The separate lines for batteries and motors etc are sized for the volume needed.

The biggest issue at the moment is getting cheap, basic microchips for things like AC, lights, electric windows etc etc

And they go in everything.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No. It wasn’t. That was what you assumed and I corrected you then and again now.

No I direct quoted the vauxhall website with their current range and prices.

You used a third party site quoting prices for the old range with models that are not availible in the current line up

Drac

Ok kids is you don’t stop fighting I’m going to turn this EV Car and none of us will go the ICE Age museum.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s relatively easy to send both electric and dino juice cars down the same production line

Even if they are on different platforms?

mert
    Free Member

Depends on the production line and the platforms.

And it’s worth bearing in mind a lot of “all new” platforms are a) sometimes nothing of the sort or b) can be sent down the same line with minor tweaks to the fixtures and c) aren’t designed by idiots, so quite often utilise huge chunks of the existing production line equipment.

intheborders
    Free Member

Are we though ? Or are they cheaper in the US because of import duties / taxes / incentives etc ?

As we are discovering with Brexit, having a ‘single market’ creates many savings.

Daffy

No I direct quoted the vauxhall website with their current range and prices.

Yes – CURRENT. NOT when the film was made. Not at the time we discussed it. At the time of filming the comparison was valid and fair. Which was what I told you at the time. I also pointed out that the Vauxhall were (at the time we discussed it) now offering a £2500 deposit contribution to their petrol Corsa which now skewed the result, but that it was still favourable for the EV on a comparable model.

Now that the plug-in car grant has dropped and Vauxhall have altered their pricing, it’s even less favourable for the EV.

BUT – look at the £/month. Despite the fact that the EV is £6+k more expensive, it’s only £50/month more… If you’d spend £60 on fuel per month, you can have an EV for NO extra cost.

reeksy

Anyone know if a large mtb will fit in the back of an EV6?

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t know, but I’d bet it will with a wheel or two off. They are a decent size.

I saw an i4 today, looked good. So I had a Google, it may be my favourite EV currently. And it can tow. Over £50k though…. 🙁

mrhoppy

@reeksy
    I’d have thought so I can get an XL orbea rallon in my ID4*, they have very similar sized boots. I think you could sensibly do 2 people and bikes maybe even possibly 3 people 2 bikes.

*Back seats down, front wheel out on its side.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes – CURRENT. NOT when the film was made. Not at the time we discussed it

Page 47 if you want to refresh your memory on the part where you were quoting vehicles not showing on vauxhall website at the time.

tetrode
    Free Member

Just had written confirmation from Tusker than I can fit a towbar (just for a bike carrier) on my lease Leaf. Has anyone fitted a towbar to a new generation leaf and have any suggestions/links? I’m sick of shoving two big bikes in the back with the wheels off!

molgrips
    Free Member

There are bike-rack specific towbar style attachements around which I think would be better than an actual towbar, but they aren’t (or weren’t) easy to find.

simon_g

re: Leaf towbar – PF Jones do them, I had a quote for £540ish including mobile fitting.

Nissan dealers can do it these days too, although I think they bundle in the naffest Thule rack available, at £650ish.

Either way it’s a Brink detachable towbar, if you have a local towbar place that carries them then they’ll be able to do it too. It’s one of the special non-towing bars with the extra knobs on the sides so you can’t hitch up a trailer.

tetrode
    Free Member

Oh nice, just seen PF Jones and yeah looks doable. Only concern is my current rack (Thule easyfold XT 933) might not be compatible but the chart used to tell you whether it fits or not is pretty unclear with all the different Thule models. I’ll ring them up and see what they say!

molgrips
    Free Member

PF Jones are great btw. I did my own install, I had to ring them with a question and got through to a proper experienced fitter who sorted me out.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Just grind the knobs off

Daffy

Page 47 if you want to refresh your memory on the part where you were quoting vehicles not showing on vauxhall website at the time.

OH MY GOD – you can’t read or remember!

I said:

Daffy
    5th gear did an article recently that compared the cost of ownership of a new Petrol Corsa and a new Electric Corsa over 3 years and 22k miles. Despite the £4.5k higher purchase price for the EV, the cost of ownership was £2k less for the EV over the 3 year period. This assumed that both were purchased using PCP and that the EV was charged using a standard tariff at 14p/kWh. On a cheaper charge tariff, the difference would have been closer to £3k in favour of the EV.

Posted 3 months ago

You said:

trail_rat
    Free Member

but thats not the difference is it ? going by the RRP on vauxhalls own website…. unless for journalistic license you chose the top spec petrol at 23grand and the lowest spec Electric at 27k …..

its more like a 10k difference like for like.

Posted 3 months ago

YOU then said:

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well if only they made a Corsa E-SE

It might be at a price people are willing to pay for a tiny car…..

I want a tiny run around. I’m looking at a Citroen c1. The gap between a c1 and the next smallest electric car after the spring covers a metric **** load of fuel…..

To which I replied:

They do. It’s £25.8k. But a quick check through CarWow and there are several places offering upto £4K off that.

So now you’re down to £21k for a 50kWh electric car with a 220 mile range that will cost around £220 a month including fuel, tax servicing and 700 miles. You’d be paying £130 a month to run a banger on Dino juice not considering maintenance/repairs/MOT, etc,

Got any more excuses?

THAT was page 47!

YOU were claiming that there was no Corsa E-SE and I showed that there was and that it was still better value than the equivalent Corsa SE petrol over 3 years on a PCP deal at prices available at the time on Vauxhall’s own website.

Daffy

Yes, with ease with the front wheel off.

Mark

We’ve just had our EV6 order confirmed with factory fitted tow bar.

That will result in a 2 year old Peugeot e208 going into the 2nd hand market – and good riddance. Awful bloody car

trail_rat
    Free Member

I am humoured you believe those quotes are an arguement for the point you are arguing against in the first quote in your post and go on to insult MY inability to read.

Point still stands I was using the mfgs website were the cars you you were quoting from third party sites weren’t showing as range was restructured.

a11y

Can we also talk about electric vans on here?

Ford reveal new all-electric E-Transit Custom: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2022/05/09/All-Electric-E-Transit-Custom.html – completely new van, this is the shared project that’s also spawning the equivalent VW Transporter. No mention of variants yet (L2 double-cab 5-seater with tailgate please). Probably still 8-10 years minimum until I replace my current Transit DCIV so by then range and charging network will be improved further. Cost will be the obvious issue but all new vehicles cost way more than I expect.

Claimed 380km/236mile range. No (official) word on battery capacity or power output. It’d be great if they keep the same 68kWh battery and 180bhp or 265bhp outputs of the full-size E-Transit.

Leccy Tranny

molgrips
    Free Member

Can we also talk about electric vans on here?

Mate it says CAR in the title.

Just kidding 😉

Anyone see the announcement from Nissan about their solid state battery production plans? Could be in cars in a couple of years, that’d be huge. Twice the range for the same volume, or half the batteries for the same range – here’s hoping they don’t cost twice as much per kWh 🙂 A bit denser than normal batteries, so it’s only about 50% more range by weight IIRC.

Production in 2024, car due in 2028 apparently.

a11y

Mate it says CAR in the title.

Meh, it says here there’s a STW magazine but I don’t pay attention to that either 😉

Its advances like that by Nissan that I hope will come to fruition before I next change van car vehicle. Assuming it avoids the tin worm (although Transit history of old doesn’t give that promise) I’ll easily have a decade to wait and see where electric vehicle development gets to.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Peugeot e208 going into the 2nd hand market – and good riddance. Awful bloody car

For interest, what was wrong with it? It was on my shortlist but I bought an e-Up.

Edukator
    Free Member

I like the Transit colour. I’d expect an 80 kWh battery to reach the claimed range.

Awful bloody car

Should have bought a Zoé. 😉 Or more seriously, how much worse was it than the Leaf?

willard

Still happy with our Kia (apart from a 12v battery issue that caused it not to unlock or power on once) and now the weather is warmer, the range is up to the claimed 450km per charge.

I should really keep a better track of the economy and energy usage, but the last month is running at 13.03 kWh/100km.

Kryton57

@Mark – any idea of the Lead time for your EV6? I should have the option to choose a company car (Electric only) next week and lead times for VW at least seem to be an issue.

Mark

We’ve been given a rather standard 12-20 weeks for delivery.

phil5556

My BMW i3S lease finishes in August, my company have just changed the lease company they use (salary  sacrifice) and the options are more expensive and long lead times.

So I get to extend the i3 and keep it for another year, as much as it would be good to have something new for the novelty I’m not disappointed. It’s been excellent for us, mostly just for commuting and running about locally in.

The replacements available in the same sort of price range are the Fiat 500, Smart Car and Leaf. Anything else was much more expensive and I’m not sure those options would be any better.

dantsw13

Theres a lot of chat on my work forum about EVs as we have a Tusker Sal Sac scheme. All manfacturers lead times are growing, many over year now. My ioniq5 ordered in Nov was due early March, now gone back to early August.

My A6 PCP finished in March, so I cashed in on the ridiculous 2nd hand values and sold it for @£5k profit. Im renting an EV via an ELMO subscription to bridge the gap. Currently in a MG5 LR estate, which Im very pleased with. For the cheapest EV with decent range its great. The one downside is max 50kW charging speed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its advances like that by Nissan that I hope will come to fruition before I next change van car vehicle.

Yeah I can see us keeping the Merc for a while if no-one’s commuting in this house, for that reason – that or waiting for supply of used EVs to pick up.

If there are 600 mile Nissan EVs on the market in 2028 I’ll be happy to pick up a 2022 Ioniq 5 with a 300 mile range by then.

5lab

I like the Transit colour. I’d expect an 80 kWh battery to reach the claimed range.

with that frontal area and aerodynamic properties I’d be extremely surprised. a transit custom runs around 200g/km of co2 with a weedy diesel engine. A small car, like a diesel golf would be half that. The id3 needs 60kwh battery to do a similar range, so I would say 100-120kwh would be required to pull that brick around

a11y

with that frontal area and aerodynamic properties I’d be extremely surprised. a transit custom runs around 200g/km of co2 with a weedy diesel engine. A small car, like a diesel golf would be half that. The id3 needs 60kwh battery to do a similar range, so I would say 100-120kwh would be required to pull that brick around

I’m only quoting from Ford, but the claim for the mahoosive high-roof, full-size Transit is “A 400-volt battery with 68 kWh of usable power does all the hard work, so you’ll never have to worry about low-emission zones again. The E-Transit battery delivers an impressive range of up to 166-196 miles (WLTP test results. 196-mile WLTP Overall Range reflects a combined driving cycle and 166-mile WLTP Extra High range reflects motorway driving)* on a full charge” (https://www.ford.co.uk/vans-and-pickups/e-transit)

I’d hope the slightly smaller frontal area of the Transit Custom would improve on those slightly for the same battery capacity.

molgrips
    Free Member

There should be an optional different body shape that’s more aero. I appreciate that vans often need to be boxy, but you could provide the same van platform with a different shape on top for those who don’t need it to be that shape.

Edukator
    Free Member

65kWh takes the Jumpy 330km, 5lab. 80/65 x 330 = 406. I don’t see any reason to change my estimate and you guesses are not realistic.

sam_underhill

ooo… Tesla opened up some UK superchargers to non-Tesla cars today. That will really start to add competition to the bad charging networks. Hopefully that will mean a general improvement in the public charging network as a whole.

revs1972
    Free Member

ooo… Tesla opened up some UK superchargers to non-Tesla cars today. That will really start to add competition to the bad charging networks. Hopefully that will mean a general improvement in the public charging network as a whole.

Popped into Membury Services yesterday, and yet again the 2 Gridserves were full (luckily i was on one them )and there were just 2 Teslas in the 20 odd bays for them. I guess it will work when its not busy , but they are taking away one the main USP’s for buying a Tesla ( IMO)
    If they made 25% available to others it would be a good start.

multi21
    Free Member

a11y

It’d be great if they keep the same 68kWh battery and 180bhp or 265bhp outputs of the full-size E-Transit.

I’ve often thought “wouldn’t the roads be much nicer if white van man had 265bhp to play with”

Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 6,661 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.