• This topic has 6,428 replies, 364 voices, and was last updated 5 minutes ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,281 through 5,320 (of 6,429 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • whatgoesup

You do know that lane assist can be put off even quicker when starting up ?

Swipe down when on Home Screen and touch the shortcut icon…

that’s how I used to do it until I discovered that the iDrive controller can do the same thing – faster and no need to touch or look at the screen.

If you click the iDrive controller “up” on any screen except for when CarPlay is being used it brings up the same menu as swiping down on the screen, with shortcut position 1 already selected. You can then “click” the controller and it’s done. Two motions and no need to look at the screen -‘it’s muscle memory for me now. I also found this out by accident.

RichPenny
    Free Member

“And they’re not. They’re on the steering wheel, stalks and facia along with all the usual climate controls, lights etc. Other settings are in the binnacle menu accessed through the steering wheel controls.”

Honestly think we’re on about different stuff squirrel king. For driver aids or driver assist, i am talking about park assist, lane assist, auto braking, road sign detection, pedestrian collision etc. I’ve then got 3 settings for regen control, 1 for creep and another for steering feel. In my car these are in 2 menus and I can’t see how you could replace that with physical controls. Or indeed why you’d want to as they’re for configuring the car and not really intended for use while driving?

What do you want to know about the Polestar DrP? Had mine about 5 months.

bensales
    Free Member

What are people’s thoughts on the polestar 2???

I’ve just replaced a Model 3 Performance with a 2024 Polestar 2 Long Range Single Motor.

Plus points
    – generally better built out of better materials. Feels a lot more solid – you can see the Volvo DNA.
    – auto wipers work
    – adaptive cruise doesn’t shit itself when over taking Lorries.
    – has a 360 camera setup as standard
    – range and efficiency are much better on 2024 cars than previous. Very near Tesla now.
    – hatchback more useful than boot on the Tesla
    – very comfortable seats (ymmv)
    – good suspension
    – adaptive pixel headlights are amazing witchcraft
    – has CarPlay
    – has door handles normal human beings know how to use

Negs so far
    – Smaller inside than the Model 3. ‘Cosy’ in the front and some find the high centre console sides intrusive. I find it tolerable (at 6’2” and 250lbs, again ymmv).
    – Navigation with Google maps is great but suggested charging stops can be a bit shit. Yesterday it suggested one for me that it stated was out of service… not only that, but the one it suggested was a single 50kW unit, when there was an 8 bay MFG install a mile away. I guess it’s down to what Google knows about.

Neither pos/neg
    – Centre screen is good. Android Auto seems decent enough and icons are a nice big size to hit rather than Tesla’s stupid 8pt text size ones.
    – Everything on auto (climate, heated seats, heated wheel, heated screens/mirros, wipers, lights) just works. No need to adjust anything while driving.

First proper long trip on Monday from Birmingham to Fort William, so will have a much better opinion after that, but overall happy with the choice so far.

pictonroad

I felt a bit claustrophobic in the front of the polestar after 3yrs in a Tesla. It’s very reminiscent of my old 90s Japanese cars as you sit in a driving cocoon with very high console and doors.

Back felt small too in comparison.

lovely car though, all the bits you touch are very special.

trail_rat
    Free Member

am talking about park assist, lane assist, auto braking, road sign detection, pedestrian collision

I don’t have road sign detection ….. But all the rest of that stuffs handled by a d pad and 2 buttons on the rhs of my steering wheel. In a cheapo french city car no less

DrP

Cheers…

Have been looking at the 400bhp twin motor jobbie with propilot etc…

If I saved up and got one, I think it would be a big enough range to (gasp) get rid of my Octavia and LEAF and go back to just one car..

I do, however, love both my leaf and Octavia…

DrP

bensales
    Free Member

Early dual motor P2s can be spectacularly inefficient. 200 miles range tops in summer in some cases.

2024s are better as they decouple the front motor when it’s not needed.

Having had the Tesla, I had little interest in performance this time round and picked the one with the longest range. 6 seconds to 60 is quick enough for normal driving. I did spec all the toys though adding Pilot and Plus packs. Only thing I didn’t get was the leather as a) it was silly money and b) I quite like the recycled material on the Plus pack seats.

RichPenny
    Free Member

That’s what I have DrP. In the summer range was around 250, currently about 210. Oddly it seems more efficient on a motorway run than on my undulating rural commute. On the older model the pack configurations are a bit different than now, so make sure you know what you’re getting.

DrP

When did the gen 1 switch to gen 2?
    I’ve seen comment made about the range improving in the newer gen… Would a 2021 be old gen?

DrP

squirrelking
    Free Member

Honestly think we’re on about different stuff squirrel king. For driver aids or driver assist, i am talking about park assist, lane assist, auto braking, road sign detection, pedestrian collision etc. I’ve then got 3 settings for regen control, 1 for creep and another for steering feel. In my car these are in 2 menus and I can’t see how you could replace that with physical controls. Or indeed why you’d want to as they’re for configuring the car and not really intended for use while driving?

We’re not. Lane assist is a stalk tip button and the rest of the options are in the instrument binnacle menu with no touch screen. Park assist would be a button if I had it, as is auto hold, start/stop, abs, and a few others. Not one is controlled by anything other than a button or selection switch.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yes, that’s what I have DrP.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Fair enough Sqirrelking. Only had 1 car previously with that kind of tech in it. That had 1 button and a load of buried menu options, which was worse than current car.

bensales
    Free Member

Polestar 2…

When did the gen 1 switch to gen 2?

For model year 2024. The very earliest cars are August this year. You can tell the new ones as they have a colour matched ‘grill’.

Daffy

I’ve just had a Polestar 2 Long Range as a hire car for a few days.  With generally careful driving (I drive an i3 normally) the car was looking to achieve 240-250 miles and of the 120miles I covered in it, 90 were motorway at 72mph.  This was a 22 reg car, so not a updated one.

Generally it felt quite nice, but large and heavy in a way the i3 is not.  Dark and cosseted (being generous) would describe the interior. 

The controls were very easy to use and get used to.  

Given a 22plate can now be had for £20k, it’s not a bad shout.  It’s got me reconsidering my choice to replace the i3 with a newer i3.  

RichPenny
    Free Member

You should look at a EX30 Daffy, similar quality to the Polestar and similar size as the i3. Rave reviews everywhere aparrently.

DrP

Given a 22plate can now be had for £20k, it’s not a bad shout. It’s got me reconsidering my choice to replace the i3 with a newer i3.

Link please.. one I’m looking at is 10k more.. but that’s the 4wd long range pro pilot performance pack diamonte superlegerra plus plush coo coo cachoo version…

DrP

iainc

You can then “click” the controller and it’s done

Every day is a school day, I was rotating it round then clicking !

molgrips
    Free Member

The Polestar can tow and they are quite a few cars around now, prices are becoming more reasonable. It’s a candidate.

DrP

I may have put a deposit down..!

DrP

bensales
    Free Member

On a Poledancer? Congrats!

Did you know they’ll deliver one to your house for a test drive if you’re reasonable close to the following…

Battersea
    Bicester
    Bristol
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Leeds
    Manchester
    Newcastle
    Solihull
    Southampton
    Slough
    Watford

DrP

Yeah..not a new one though!

2020 LR AWD pilot pro…

Didn’t go for the performance pack one as that was close to £8k more, and just didn’t feel worth it (bigger wheels and better brakes and discs .).

Everything else seemed the same.

The one I’ve reserved is about £4 k below book price, so to good an offer not to jump on.

My OH rather angrily said I DEFINITELY have to sell the leaf and octy now 😞😞😞

The plan is to pay in full, then head up in about 10d to collect it. If I don’t like it, I’ll just reject under distance selling regs and get full refund.

Oddly, if I just pay the deposit then reject, I lose the  deposit!

DrP

bensales
    Free Member

First long trip in the Polestar today, Birmingham to Fort William. Much more comfortable than the Tesla and I’m happy with the efficiency given it barely got above freezing. Heating (a/c, seats, steering wheel) used as needed and sat on cruise at the speed limit for pretty much the whole trip.

31.3kWh/100 miles gives a theoretical range of 261 miles, so something like 230 to be on the safe side. I stopped at an MFG charge point near Wigan, then Ionity Carlisle, and Ionity Glasgow, as that split the trip into two hour blocks which suits me and my need for caffeine perfectly.

Obligatory Skyfall picture… (not sure I got the location totally right)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ionity you should get cheap rate with the plugsurfing card that came with the car?

Tbh, I looked at the efficiency and thought meh, I’m getting close to that in mine. But then realised there’s quite a lot of elevation gain in your trip! What are you getting on normal runs?

bensales
    Free Member

Yes, used the Plugsurfing card. 35p/kWh is pretty reasonable.

Not had the car long enough to know normal use. Manual trip on the left is from new. I’ll leave that to get an idea of long term average efficiency.

I reckon it’ll be good for an easy 350 miles in the summer.

DrP

Plugsurfing…..??

What’s that then… Should my poledancer come with one?

Oh.. might look into the OTA performance download too!

DrP

bensales
    Free Member

Plugsurfing is one of these charge provider aggregators. They have a deal with Polestar and Ionity to provide discounted charge rates. Not for anyone else though, and in some cases Plugsurfing is more than going direct. But I digress…

Yes, I think there should be a card with your car but it may have been retained by the previous owner. Yo7 can set it up via the app – make sure you download Plugsurfing-Polestar and not the straight Plugsurfing app. Then you just need you car’s VIN to create an account. You can start and stop charges on Ionity using the Plugsurfing app, the card is just more convenient.

DrP

Brill, thanks..

Next question that i think i know the answer to..

The car will only come with one cable; either 3pin granny, or T2 cable. I think i can pay £100 and get a second cable..

I’m tempted to go for the Granny cable (as these are typically more expensive) and pick up an aftermarket t2 cable (about 5m in length).. or just pay £100 and be done with it.

WHere’s a good place to get decent but not too pricey 32a cables?

Cheers

DrP

RichPenny
    Free Member

Pretty sure it should come with both? Mine did. Think they phased out the granny for MY24, and just supplied the T2.

DrP

Well this is being bought from an EV ex lease dealer, so they have their own rules and terms I guess….

Tbh I got it at a good price, getting then to ‘fill it up’ for me, so may just stump up for another cable off them

DrP

garage-dweller

I stopped at an MFG charge point near Wigan, then Ionity Carlisle, and Ionity Glasgow, as that split the trip into two hour blocks which suits me and my need for caffeine perfectly.

Still feeding my EV curiosity… How did that work out on timings on the stops and what sort of top up were you doing in % terms? 

In ICE world I would similarly be stopping every two hours for caffeine on a trip like that although I’m very much an espresso person and I’d stop for 10-15 minutes on stop 1 and by stop 2 I’d be more like 30 minutes as driver needs solid fuels by that point. 

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve had a Polestar 2 PPP MY 21 (the launch version) since Feb this year, still brings a smile to my face (both the performance, easy mode driving and getting into a pre-heated cabin in current weather and not needing to de-ice etc.).

It’s pretty rubbish for range though (as has been said the MY24 ones are much more efficient), mine will do 190-200 miles in summer (but cruising at 70 on the motorway rather than driving at 55 tailgating a lorry…). Right now it’s probably more like 130-140 but for me it’s not an issue as my commute is 3 miles each way and I rarely do any journeys over 70 miles. I only plug it in to charge at home every couple of weeks.

It does seem very claustrophobic inside initially but you soon get used to it (my old car was an Octavia estate so was like going from being in a greenhouse to a dingy shed :p ). The BLISS door mirror blind spot indicator is handy though (think that’s part of the original Pilot pack). Now I’m used to it the only time I still notice the lack of visibility is reversing out of spaces in car parks, I quadruple-check mirrors and windows rather than double-checking, not run anyone over yet though…

There were some minor issues with the MY21 (and possibly later ones) so worth checking they’ve been corrected via a dealer visit (mine came with paper work from a Volvo dealer who’d carried out the warranty fixes, can dig that out if you want the details).

For charge cable if they’re only supplying one it depends if you’re planning to home charge and if so how. Get the granny version to use away from home (and away from public chargers) if you’re getting an EV charger installed. If the other one is designed to plug into a 32amp commando style wall socket and that’s what you have/will get installed then go for that type instead. I’ve not used a public charger where I had to supply my own cable but I guess office car par style ones are probably like that.

r/Polestar on Reddit is a good source of info, especially around new software updates and any issues people are having (TCAM problems are the most common, have had it a couple of times myself but just following the reset procedure has worked for me). When I bought mine it had 21k miles on it and needed new tires all round so something else to watch out for (dealer knocked off some money to account for this).

Edukator
    Free Member

my commute is 3 miles each way

Even as an EV owner I always do trips like that on foot unless I need the kitchen sink with me. Even with a big rucksac it’s under an hour and great for health and well being. I’ve never been fitter than when I did a hilly 33km each way commute by bike (except when a deluge or snowing).

bensales
    Free Member

Still feeding my EV curiosity… How did that work out on timings on the stops and what sort of top up were you doing in % terms?

Maybe 15-20 minutes each time? I honestly don’t pay that much attention to it anymore, and my stop time is driven by going to the loo, buying coffee etc, rather than charging the car. 15 minutes of so will always stick at least 100 miles in the battery.

That stop at the MFG on the way up was actually too long because I spent ages **** around with the coffee machine. Cost loads more than if I’d stopped it earlier and charged a bit more at the Ionity which was half the price. Probably didn’t even need to charge there, it’s just another habit now that if I’m parked, it’s charging.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

@bensales what were your reasons for moving away from a Tesla? I had a new 2019 Model3 for 2 years, then swapped to an ID3, I’m now thinking of going back to a facelift M3 2nd hand (MY would be better but outside my price). I think the main draw is the whole OS/infotainment/security (including the speakers). I liked the performance and go kart feel, I liked lane centering rather than lane keep, I liked proper one pedal driving, things like a useable front boot, proper OTA updates (my ID3 had to go into the garage for a version 3.0 update and it took them a few days). I know the Tesla auto wipers / full beam are rubbish, but I tolerated that, because everything else was so good. Matrix headlights are the only thing I’d miss on the ID3. Oh, and the hatchback, altho we did manage to get 2 bikes in the M3.

bensales
    Free Member

@bensales what were your reasons for moving away from a Tesla?

The three year lease was up 🙂

Reasons for not getting another, other than it’s extremely rare for me to get the same car twice…

– Tesla aren’t on my company car scheme any more, so couldn’t have one even if I wanted
    – removal of the indicator stalks. I think it’s stupid.
    – autopilot and auto wiper ‘foibles’ as you’ve mentioned. It’s just not good enough after all this time. I also disagree with Tesla’s position that vision can do everything. I think it’s better to take advantage of sensors that are able to see things the human eye/cameras can’t.
    – I wanted a car with fully adaptive headlights. As I’m getting older, I’m struggling a bit more with driving in the dark, so want the best headlights I can get
    – Supercharger network opening up means it’s no longer necessary to tolerate a Tesla to get access

As to why I got the Polestar, I think I wrote my reasons back up the thread somewhere. On my car scheme it came down to that of the BMW i4. The i4 was a really, really, nice car to drive, but cost-wise it just didn’t stack up against the Polestar for me.

bensales
    Free Member

So, the journey back from the People’s Republic of Scotland was nearasdammit the same as the journey up. Which is quite a surprise as I always thought it was downhill to England…

Total cost of on-the-road charging was £94.21 plus about £13 of home charging before leaving. Which works out at 12.5p per mile. Quite comfortable with that cost per mile given 99% of my driving is charged at home and costs about 4p per mile. And especially as most of this trip has been in negative Celsius temperatures.

Overall also happy to say a Polestar 2 is a very comfortable place to spend 900 miles. And the adaptive cruise and lane keeping is way better than Tesla Autopilot.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought autopilot was meant to be much more than just cruise control and lane keep?

bensales
    Free Member

I thought autopilot was meant to be much more than just cruise control and lane keep?

Nope, that’s all it is in the UK. Unless you paid £3500 for “enhanced autopilot” which will change lanes on a motorway if you indicate. If you paid £7000 for “full self drive”, it will supposedly navigate on the motorway as well, but given there’s virtually no navigation needed on UK motorways, it’s a complete swizz. It really only gives something more in the US.

The Polestar “Pilot Assist” is also better at its lanes changes than normal Tesla Autopilot. In the Tesla, you indicate which turns off auto steer, you move lanes, and then you need to manually re-engage auto steering. In the Polestar you indicate, it turns off auto steer, and then once you’re back in lane, it reengages by itself. Much slicker.

Fundamentally, the best bit was in 900 miles it didn’t shit itself and panic brake whenever it was overtaking a truck. Something that happened far too much in the Tesla.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Molgrips, I think Bensales is getting mixed up between lane keep assist (LKA) and lane follow assist (LFA). Tesla’s are lane follow assist and by the sounds of it so are the polestar. I’ve experienced both in a number of cars and LFA is a country mile better. My id3 is lane keep and it’s crap, mach-e is lane follow and worked well, Tesla was good apart from the phantom braking (I only had autopilot) as Bensales says FSD is a rip off I don’t know why anyone would buy it.

bensales
    Free Member

Oh, yes, of course. Lane keeping is the one that just keeps pulls you back in lane if you doze off, not the one that steers for you. I mean the latter for both the Polestar and the Tesla. Not sure what Polestar marketing name is.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,281 through 5,320 (of 6,429 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.