Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 771 total)
  • The church and homosexuality
  • D0NK

At least in the future you will disagree if some thinks the ruling is discriminatory on the grounds of sexuality.

yes I’ll say “some trolling pedant taught me otherwise, it’s a long not very funny story but in reality for all intents and purposes yes it is still gay bashing and ultimately wrong.”

Cougar

see above

Did any of them want to get married?

singletracked
    Free Member

They would have wanted some formal and societal recognition of their partnership so that the other was taken care of when one died. Sometimes this was explicitly stated, in comparison to married couples. But no one stated that they wanted to be married, perhaps due to societal norms.

D0NK

see above

in the interests of inheritance would 2 straight people get married or just, ooooh I dunno, get a will drawn up?

Lifer
    Free Member

singletracked – Member
    But no one stated that they wanted to be married, perhaps due to societal norms.

Brilliant.

AdamW
    Free Member

Either they could leave a will for each other, or get married.

Simples!

As for other things: believe it or not other people sometimes take the pee because I’m a gay bloke who can’t eat nuts, and the GNS (Gay National Service) would have people drafted in and given a girl/boyfriend. After three years if they decided they wanted to stay being gay that’s fine, or if they wanted to go straight that’s also fine. Got it all worked out!

Cougar

There was a story I read about that recently. Hang on.

project
    Free Member

GNS (Gay National Service) would have people drafted in and given a girl/boyfriend. After three years if they decided they wanted to stay being gay that’s fine, or if they wanted to go straight that’s also fine. Got it all worked out!

The organisation of the regiment would be a right pain in the bum to organise, you could call it the Gay Gordons, and make all the men wear kilts just like the jocks do.

singletracked
    Free Member

in the interests of inheritance would 2 straight people get married or just, ooooh I dunno, get a will drawn up?

but you also gave me list of other reasons that people get married, most of these existed for these parings. Also i guess you didn’t read that bit about not making wills

singletracked
    Free Member

But no one stated that they wanted to be married, perhaps due to societal norms.
    Brilliant.

yeah, think back a few years and how many gay people wanted to get married 30 years ago.

It’s called the Theory of Reasoned Action

Cougar

So, no, then.

If you lived with a guy, were best mates, and as you entered your twilight years he went “hey, we should get married,” would you think,

a) you’ve got me all wrong there, Bill,

b) looks like dementia’s finally set in,

c) hell, that’s a brilliant idea!

miketually
    Free Member

If GNS is introduced, would I have to like musicals for the duration? I’m happy to take part in all other aspects of The Gay Lifestyle, but I draw the line at listening to Michael Ball.

AdamW
    Free Member

Singletrackd, don’t know if you’re seriously deeply trolling or what.

I was around and just realising I was gay 30 years ago (who would have thought I was this old?!). Yes, gay people wanted to get married 30 years ago. I have met people thrown out of their houses by hateful bigoted families after the death on their long term partner. I have seen these vile people spitting at the partner who is deep in grief, even after they had disowned him decades previously, while at the same time emptying the bank account and forcing a house sale.

Hell yes gay people wanted marriage 30 years ago.

singletracked
    Free Member

So, no, then.

Well, they did say it was funny how they had been together longer than most married couples yet there was no way they could do anything to acknowledge that.

If you lived with a guy, were best mates, and as you entered your twilight years he went “hey, we should get married,” would you think,

a) you’ve got me all wrong there, Bill,

b) looks like dementia’s finally set in,

c) hell, that’s a brilliant idea!

Now, yes, but if 30 years ago one gay man had turned to another and said “hey, we should get married,”

What would the other have thought?

singletracked
    Free Member

I was around and just realising I was gay 30 years ago (who would have thought I was this old?!). Yes, gay people wanted to get married 30 years ago.

No, they didn’t. If so, only in the abstract. 30 years ago gay people would have been over the moon at the idea of civil partnership. Gay people didn’t even think about the possibility of getting married

AdamW
    Free Member

Miketually, we have moved on. It’s all techno these days, Bacardi, being ultra thin, smoking like tobacco has suddenly been endangered and drooling after the men in the “Dante’s Cove” and “The Lair” TV series.

You can like Elvira as much as you like and Bette Middler is also allowed.

I think Michael Ball is under the label of “fetish”.

singletracked
    Free Member

Yes, gay people wanted to get married 30 years ago. I have met people thrown out of their houses by hateful bigoted families after the death on their long term partner…. while at the same time emptying the bank account and forcing a house sale.

yup seen that with 2 straight men

singletracked
    Free Member

Adam, I’m not seeking to argue with you in any of this. you have some experience and your views are valid within that. I can respect that your opinions are well considered and a result of your sexuality and experiences as a result.

AdamW
    Free Member

Singletrackd so you were there 30 years ago in the gay scene? Like I was?

Amazing. Which clubs did you go to then?

miketually
    Free Member

I’m asthmatic. Can I be excused the smoking?

singletracked
    Free Member

Well, I was in the Queen of the Midlands, so unless you were near there too, it is unlikely you would know them

AdamW
    Free Member

Ok, you may be issued patches or gum though.

miketually
    Free Member

Are we agreed that marriage should be extended to non-romantic same-sex life partners too?

enfht
    Free Member

OK but even ‘Bumgina’ could be seen as discriminatory.

AdamW
    Free Member

I was doing the Wales clubs; when they would allow it, usually a weekday night when business was slow or the pub that turned gay on the Friday night in an attempt to get more money even though they hated us!

North Wales was horrible to grow up in during the 80s when you’re gay.

The only reason I didn’t think of marriage personally was due to me being single and that hell may freeze over before bigoted people relaxed their views. Fortunately it happened! I did feel sorry for my mate Phil whose lover died and “family” treated him like poo, demanding everything he owned. Or a couple from Bangor in their seventies, been together 50 years but were scared of either of them dying – couldn’t afford the inheritance taxes of the house and were afraid of being thrown on the streets.

Sad times. But things should now hopefully be coming fully equal and in a few years people will look back and wonder what on earth the kerfuffle was a about!

Cougar

Out of interest, Singletracked, do you have any views on injuries sustained from rotational forces due to the usage of cycle helmets?

AdamW
    Free Member

Enfht: you owe me a new white rug and a keyboard!

singletracked
    Free Member

Out of interest, Singletracked, do you have any views on injuries sustained from rotational forces due to the usage of cycle helmets?

This happened last time time had an extended discussion on homsexuality. Folks start off all PC and right-on, pretending to defend the rights of gay people and eventually grow tired of the pretence and some little jibe veiled as humour comes out.

As before, thanks for your support. Nice chatting, we must do it again sometime

singletracked
    Free Member

The only reason I didn’t think of marriage personally was due to me being single and that hell may freeze over before bigoted people relaxed their views

that was pretty much my point, especially as all our gay heroes were going fishing

Cougar

some little jibe veiled as humour comes out.

Wasn’t a jibe. Your writing style seems very familiar, is all.

crikey
    Free Member

I know things are not great or equal, but I’m impressed/happy/enthusiastic/just bloody well pleased that things are gradually, grudgingly getting better with regard to the attitudes shown to gay people.

I work with a couple of lesbians, both of whom have entered into civil partnerships and the great thing is that no one cares at all. I looked after a bloke who lived with a bloke who sadly died on my unit, and everyone, even the died-in-the-wool old fashioned just-like-your-granny folk just saw two people, one losing the other, and responded accordingly.

It’s taken a long, long time and will take a lot longer, but I would like to think we are getting there.

project
    Free Member

Well said Crikey.

AdamW
    Free Member

that was pretty much my point, especially as all our gay heroes were going fishing

Yep. And who were we left with? Larry Grayson and John Inman. I didn’t realise I was “one of them” as we used to say, because I’m just a normal* bloke and am not camp.

Bah!

* For strange values of ‘normal’ which may including biking and not football.

miketually
    Free Member

Hang on, AdamW is Welsh?

crikey
    Free Member

As a male nurse I have had to put up with the ‘Oh, are you gay?’ thing for years…25 years now…

For at least the last 10 years I’ve been happy to say ‘So what if I am?’ in reply and listen to the embarrassed fumbling-for-something-to- say reply.*

Things have moved on, nowhere near far enough, but they have and will continue to.

* This has led to a thorough chatting up twice!

AdamW
    Free Member

Hang on, AdamW is Welsh?

Err, yes?

Cougar

Brave of you to come out at last.

D0NK

So basically singletracked (correct me if I’m wrong) you’re pro same sex marriage for some rather unusual reasons as well as the more usual and you want to challenge societies conceptions of marriage by introducing bromance type marriage to the thread. Some valid stuff but your combative arse about face discussion style comes across as snide point scoring and pisses off the people who may be interested in that subject and may well agree with you. If you’d mentioned those 3 couples and your opinion first we might have might have been discussing that instead of arguing technicalities and other shit. Are you on a mission to root out “plastic” gay supporters to something, rile everyone up til they make a slip?

FTR bromance marriage would seem a bit weird to me as I always see it as a couple-y thing (any sexuality) ie people who share a bed even if they don’t get up to owt funky whilst in it*. But it’s a new idea to me and I’m open for discussion about it.

*been a while since I shared a bed with a mate

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Question:

If marriage in a CofE church has force of law because it is the established church, does marriage in a catholic/methodist/mormon church carry the same force of law?

I ask because a muslim friend of mine told me that Islamic weddings in England are not legally weddings and a civil ceremony must also be held for them to be legally wed.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 771 total)

The topic ‘The church and homosexuality’ is closed to new replies.