Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The boat that Guy built
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

can’t figure out if I like it or.

Have they been instructed to act as parodies of yorkshiremen or do they actually talk like that?
    (despite the username, I’m from Holmfirth, now in brighton. I can’t remember anyone talking like that – yes – I know he’s from lincolnshire but all the same)

EDIT – as a footnote, seems like a nice bloke all the same.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Are Mavis and Guy partners? We couldnt work out last night if they were flirting with each other or not.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Met him in real life and can 100% confirm he speaks likes that.

Although he does speak a fair bit quicker than he does in the program, they must have told him to slow down when talking so people can understand him.

rewski
    Free Member

Alright Chief, hey OK Boss, Alright Chief, hey OK Boss, let’s have a brew Chief. Great TV

Harry_the_Spider

Are Mavis and Guy partners?

By eck chief!

He lives with his girlfriend and her mum and dad IIRC. Spent the house money on an Aston Martin.

soma_rich
    Free Member

We lives with his girlfriend and her mum and dad

Subtitles please.

EDIT:
    Ahhh that makes sense now. Nice, his GF must have the patients of a saint!

Harry_the_Spider

fixed it. carry on. 😳

hels
    Free Member

Yes I was wondering if they were Boyfriend and Boyfriend too, last episode I watched was when they built themselves a bed. Thought maybe finally a programme with gays in it that wasn’t about being gay, if you know what I mean. So no then ??

DezB
    Free Member

Love it, great programme. The enthusiasm makes me smile and laff.
    My son likes it too, so as has been said before – great father & son viewing.

[edit]Weird that people assume that a couple of mates are/could be gay 😕

5thElefant
    Free Member

From seeing some of his bike racing interviews I reckon the bbc sent him to elocution lessons. It was that or sub-titles.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

He’s like a young Fred Dibnah.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I grew up about 6 miles from where they did, I have no idea where their accents come from, it’s not local

allthepies
    Free Member

Watched one programme and all the pseudo chirpy Northener stuff (alright chief, get a brew on etc etc) means no more for me.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did you know Guy owns a DB7? There was an article about him in EVO last year, quite an interesting chap, but the way he speaks is a bit too affected for my tastes.

uplink
    Free Member

He always gives interesting post race interviews – especially if he feels hard done by

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qs2ZGhqc0U&feature=related[/video]

Oggles
    Free Member

Spent the house money on an Aston Martin.

What a lad! Even more respect for ‘im now. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I grew up about 6 miles from where they did, I have no idea where their accents come from, it’s not local

Says ebygomm! 😀

matthewlhome
    Free Member

That super strong Lincolnshire accent is an odd one. I wouldnt believe it was real if i didnt work with a number of people who also talk like that. Doesnt seem to be everyone in an area that speaks like it either. A lot of the words and phrases are old Lincolnshire, i have a ‘phrase book’ at home i picked up in a second hand book shop. My father in law used to use a lot of phrases like that, but my wife has no such accent.

For the record – i think the programme is good fun. Not too serious and both of them come across as genuinely interested in the subjects and proud of the work / tasks they do.

Thanks Chief / boss 🙂

duntstick
    Free Member

Do they drug test TT racers?

ebygomm
    Free Member

My username is initial plus surname and an extra couple of letters it’s nothing to do with my accent 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Says ebygomm!
    Are the massive sideburns a regional thing too Dez? 😉

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

That super strong Lincolnshire accent is an odd one. I wouldnt believe it was real if i didnt work with a number of people who also talk like that. Doesnt seem to be everyone in an area that speaks like it either. A lot of the words and phrases are old Lincolnshire, i have a ‘phrase book’ at home i picked up in a second hand book shop. My father in law used to use a lot of phrases like that, but my wife has no such accent.

😀

Similar situation in Cumbria, which originally has its own dialect. Some of the farmers still use it and almost need a translator to understand what the words mean. Im all for keeping our traditions alive, its why I enjoyed the program.

billysugger
    Free Member

They were going to send Guy and Mave for elocution sessions but decided to send Ol’ Tarbuck for double instead. One thinks one is something one is clearly not.

heihei

Think it’s awesome, and love his enthusiasm. Makes me laugh outloud. Mrs reckons I should write to the Beeb to make sure they do more TV!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Guy is from Lincolnshire I believe, not Yorkshire ……

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

having watched him being interviewed on TT coverage for a few years its not affected, he is mad as a box of frogs and obsessed with drinking tea, and someone thought he was enough of a personality to sign him up for a mainstream TV programme (when he was unknown outside of motorcycle racing).

tried to watch one show and didnt get into it, seemed to have more infantile narration by a voice over than banter between presenters. fred dibnah is a good comparison for him though.

cragrat73
    Free Member

Really enjoy it, passion for what they talk about combined with a bit silly schoolboy behaviour. 😀
    If you want dodgy accents, you always watch East enders, ” Leave it out, it’s business”.

Northwind

His “TV voice” on this show isn’t quite the same as his real voice mind, he speaks a lot faster normally but also swears well enough to draw mild appreciation from a Scotsman. So when he says “by eck” and it looks a bit like he’s thinking about it before he does- that’s why 😆

martymac

i saw the episode the other night, enjoyed it.
    great to see someone with some passion for something.
    i think its a shame so much history is lost/forgotten, and i loved the bridge they featured for allowing the horses to swap sides without tangling lines, that was brilliant.
    his accent is something else like.
    i never thought they were gay at all, but im not interested in someone elses sexuality.

MoreCashThanDash

Great Dad and Lad telly – my lad was made up with the local stuff from Cromford and Derby. We are planning a trip to see the Anderton Boatlift with my godsons soon as well.

One episode got a bit too “Northern caricature” for me, but his interest and enthusiasm and sense of fun are infectuous.

Does remind you of Fred Dibnah though. Can you imagine Guy and Mave blowing things up…..?

steviep
    Free Member

The man is a hero, apart from being stunningly quick on a motorcycle he is pretty rapid on a mountain bike too. Met him on saturday at Dalby. He rode from caistor lincs to Dalby on his cotic soul, then did a lap of the red route then rode home on his road bike,a days riding of the thick end of 200 miles…..respect!!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I like it Chief. Its not like I can’t understand what he is saying. Is it Boss.

I mean, Chief, Chief, if a daft geordie can follow it perfectly well it surely then southern folks can too. Its not like we are subjected to Estuary English on every channel including Radio Four every day.

Lets be honest. We have perceived pronunciation. Estuary English and the North is championed by Vernon Bloody Kay.

Tv and radio is not representing the way English is actually spoken. I like this program for the fact for daring to give someone with an accent like Guy some air time. The content is a bonus!

taka
    Free Member

Nice to see he’s got a dress sense 😉 odd socks ant lot

devs
    Free Member

By eck! I have hime down as derbyshire as he talks a lot like my mate from there! I like the program, it’s refreshingly different and now that I know he mtbs as well I like it even more chief!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I like it, so does my son – he’s just done a lot of industrial revolution stuff/victorian in school so the programme has let him see some of what he has heard about in school. The humour between Maeve & Guy is silly, but harmless.

ampthill

I love the show. I like the way that get non middle class experts on. A rarity. Fair play that he actually cuts it on 2 wheels

epicyclo

Great show, great personality.

Didn’t know who he was.

He sounds like a good guy to have a pint or two with.

And I like his sense of priorities, I’ve left buying something like a DB7 until I’m too old to enjoy it properly.

timmys

Glad to see it’s not actually a DB7 he’s got, assuming the pic above is his car. Him in a DB7 didn’t seem right somehow, V12 Vantage seems much more like it!

(I’m assuming him testing bikes at Cannock on the Gadget Show has been seen by everyone? http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/jon-test/mountain-bikes )

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘The boat that Guy built’ is closed to new replies.