Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The Best Curry of my Life, and I Made it Myself!
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Feeling: smug, full, farty

One of my new year’s resolutions was to learn how to cook a curry properly, as I had never really managed it before.

I have recently started working from home. This gives me time to do elaborate things while taking a break. Such as leaving things on to cook for a long time.

Found a nice leg of lamb in the reduced bit of Tesco.
    Add some tandoori powder and yoghurt and leave for a day in the fridge:

Fire up the Weber:

That lamb was really good as-is:

However, I had lots left over so decided to make a sauce. I used Scapegoat’s recipe from the Curry Books thread a couple of days ago, with the rest of the lamb thickly sliced into it:

Home made naan in the uuni oven:

Then served up with rice, chillis, chilli pickle and mango chutney:

It was outstanding – never tasted meat in a curry so nice, and that sauce was brilliant.

And pudding obviously:

Ice cream with some blueberry compote left over from breakfast pancakes.

And yes, I had so little going on I took all these photos.
    And yes, I did go to the gym to try and counteract the fatness.

Anyway, thanks to STW, I feel I have finally made a curry I am happy with.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

👍🏼 Looks great.

cnud
    Free Member

Thanks, i’m now “Hangry” Looks bloody marvellous !

Drac

Well now I want curry for breakfast.

martinhutch

Even at breakfast time, that looks ace.

CheesybeanZ

Do you deliver

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yoursitarhero.

lambchop
    Free Member

I’m all over this. Any chance of the recipe?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Superb! One thing I miss so much. Second request for the recipe please. Out in Spain the problem is getting the ingredients, if anyone has any knowledge of where you can buy the spices and powders online that would really be appreciated.

That naan looks spectacular too!

Drac

Do you deliver

No just lamb.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Well, the sauce is the main bit with a recipe.
    The marinade was just tandoori BBQ powder from the local mosque supermarket mixed with greek yoghurt.
    I put the coals to one side of the BBQ and got the inside temp to 170c using the vents on the lid and base, then put the meat on the other side from the coals. I turned it once.

The sauce recipe is from this post:

Scapegoat

I originally posted this as a venison curry but it was first designed around lamb/mutton. Cooking a good curry depends on your understanding how the spices work together, and the way they behave through the various stages.

Being a bit of a curry lover I thought I’d share this one with you. It works well with any of the “tough” cuts, and of course other meats, being originally designed for on the bone lamb/mutton/goat, so lends itself well to venison neck, shoulder, breast, hock/shin, leg, chops or anything else that would normally become burgers. Leave the meat on the bone, chopping the legs into roundel sections, leave the flat ribs on the breast etc. and cut into good-sized chunks.

It’s called staff curry, as it’s not the sort of thing you’d serve to the diners in your restaurant, but the staff don’t mind getting stuck into a big plate of curry and picking the meat off the bones…….

It involves a lot of whole spices as well as the powdered ones, but the base sauce can be tweaked to make your everyday lamb/chicken/pheasant/partridge curry anyway, so your initial layout will give you a cupboard full of spices ready to knock up a curry at home that’s as good as any restaurant offering.

There are lots of stages and NO short cuts……sorry!

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 to 1.5 kg on the bone venison

Whole dry spices:
    2 Bay leaves
    6 black pepper corns, crushed
    6 cloves
    1″ cinnamon stick
    4 green cardomum pods bruised/crushed)
    2 black cardomums
    2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds (Jeera)
    1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (curry leaves or methi) powdered by rubbing them between your palms

Whole “wet” spices:
    2 medium onions diced as fine as you can or blitzed in a food processor
    1 tablespoon garlic paste or a whole bulb skinned, chopped and crushed
    2 teaspoons ginger paste or an inch of root ginger finely chopped
    2 (or more to taste) fresh green finger chillies, roughly chopped
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    1 tin or tetra pack of chopped plum tomatoes, or a carton of passata

Powdered dry spices:
    2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhaniya)
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (to taste, but go steady, there’s already some heat in this one!)
    2 heaped teaspoons garam masala
    1 heaped teaspoon salt
    1 level teaspoon turmeric (haldi)

Finish/Garnish:
    Two or three large ripe tomatoes
    Two or three finger chillies, whole
    Small bunch of fresh coriander leaves

Stage one:
    Preheat oven to 130deg
    Use a large flameproof casserole like a Le Creuset. Onto a medium flame and add the oil and the dry spices: cinnamon stick, bay leaves, peppercorns, cardomums, cloves and whole cumin seeds. Let these heat up in the oil and when they start to pop and spatter add the diced onions. Stir these into the oil and let them cook for a couple of minutes. You don’t want them to brown, so adjust heat down if necessary. Add the ginger and garlic and keep cooking and stirring over a medium heat for at least another five to eight minutes. Don’t let this mixture brown!!!!!

Stage two:
    The onions will shrivel and the mixture will “split”, with oil bubbling up through the spices. Now add the tomato puree and the turmeric powder, stirring this into the mixture. It’ll form a lovely glossy red/golden thick paste. Add the salt and the chopped green chillies and then add the tinned tomatoes/passata a tablespoon or so at a time and keep stirring. As you do so the onion spice mixture will absorb the moisture from the tomatoes and form a smooth thick paste. Once you’ve put in all the tomatoes add the powdered fenugreek (methi) leaves and let this simmer on a low-medium heat.

Stage three:
    In the meantime brown the chunks of meat in a hot wok or skillet. Get it searingly hot and add only a tiny bit of oil. You’re looking to sear the outside of the chunks so only do a few at a time. Put them to one side.

Stage four:
    Back to your spice mixture. By now the oil should be bubbling back up through the paste. It’s this “splitting” that shows the mixture is ready for the next stage. Stir in the powdered coriander, chilli powder and the garam masala, adding a drop of water if necessary to stop it sticking to the pan.

Stage five:
    Stir and cook for a minute or so then turn the heat up to high and add the meat. Stir the meat into the spice paste, letting it coat all the surfaces then add enough water to cover the meat. As you do this the spice mixture will absorb all the water and form a thick sauce. Bring this to the boil, stirring to keep it from sticking, before putting the lid on the casserole and put it in the oven.

Stage six:
    Cook for at least two and a half to three hours. Check it occasionally to make sure it hasn’t dried out, adding a drop more water if it has. It needs a long low heat to get all the flavour out of the bones and break down the connective tissues and sinews in the cheap cuts. Once again, the oil will all separate and rise to the top of the mixture. Check to see whether the meat is tender- it should be “falling off the bone”

Stage seven:
    Skim the excess oil from the top of the curry if you wish. Taste the curry and add extra garam masala powder to taste. Then add the large ripe tomatoes cut into quarters, a good handful of chopped fresh coriander and the extra green chillies to garnish. Back into the oven for another ten minutes.

Finally, serve with more chopped coriander leaves.

We tend to put this in the middle of the table on a large server and eat it with naan or better still big thick roti (chappatis)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

looks very very nice indeed! However, we need to talk about Decking…..

marcgear
    Free Member

looks epic

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good job 👍🔥

sandwicheater

Your decking could do with some TLC.

mogrim

Out in Spain the problem is getting the ingredients, if anyone has any knowledge of where you can buy the spices and powders online that would really be appreciated.

https://www.saboresmundo.com/ – also has a shop in Madrid if you’re ever down here.

Edit: should say they’re not particularly cheap, but do deliver. I don’t use them much as there are cheaper Indian supermarkets down on the Costa Blanca and we’re there fairly often.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks Mogrim 🙌🏻

doug_basqueMTB.com

Just a quick post to thanks @yourguitarhero and @mogrim for the inspiration and ingredient help. Just had the best curry of my life too, cooked on the BBQ. Super happy, I’ve missed curries since I left Glasgow! Thanks 🙂

slowoldman

There is something very satisfying about cracking curry making.
    Tonight’s offerings were keema and peas and an aubergine/chick pea/spinach concoction.
    Nice bottle of Leffe Blond now.

Drac

Misty Ricardo has released his new book on Kindle. Some superb recipes again.

llama

Looks the dogs. Slow cooked lamb curry has a total depth of yumness. I would do a plate of that and i’ve just had my dinner.

And that bread looks top notch, good job

Gunz
    Free Member
    Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Impressive. To me, the bread is the stand-out item.

Had a recent breakthrough of my own with lamb curry, after MIL got us a pressure cooker for Christmas. Tender, flaky lamb in about 50 minutes, and you can cook it in the sauce.

But your BBQ route looks excellent too.

beaker

I can recommend The Spicery for all things curry and spicy food. The How to be a Curry Legend kit is brilliant.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Excellent work team!

Now thinking about my next curry… Beef Rendang maybe, though the keema mentioned above sounds salivary too

cloudnine
    Free Member

Working from home looks awesome

devbrix
    Free Member

Meerha Sodha is great if you want to go all trendy veggie/vegan/reduced meat-based  carbon footprint or for accompanying dishes. Was a bit sceptical myself but find myself cooking more veggie curries now as pretty tasty.

bowglie

Oh gosh, that looks spot on.  I’m just getting over a dose of Norovirus and the pics are the first thing that’s made me feel properly hungry in a week.  Thanks for posting the recipe.

mogrim

Just a quick post to thanks @yourguitarhero and @mogrim for the inspiration and ingredient help. Just had the best curry of my life too, cooked on the BBQ. Super happy, I’ve missed curries since I left Glasgow! Thanks 🙂

Excellent 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The Best Curry of my Life, and I Made it Myself!’ is closed to new replies.