Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • The benefits of not eating processed food.
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

Gave up eating any processed foods four months ago, now only eat whole foods and what a revelation. Eating a more varied diet, we had celeriac chips the other night, wow, love em. The other knock on effect is my wife has lost some weight and i had to do a double take the other morning. 🙂 I can’t tell you how much better i feel, got loads more energy and feel like it’s knocked 20 years off the clock.
    I can only describe it as being on a permanent ‘high’ and thoroughly recommend it.
    The only downside is a recurring dream about a giant fresh cream chocolate eclair.

duntstick
    Free Member

So I looked up ‘celeriac’, apparently AKA Knob Celery…..I’m out 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

we had celeriac chips the other night,

Was there not a process that turned your celeriac from celeriac into chips?

Is the rough translation of all this that you now cook your food from ingredients?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Define “processed”. Chips of any sort sound to me like having been produced as part of a “process”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Was there not a process that turned your celeriac from celeriac into chips?
    Is the rough translation of all this that you now cook your food from ingredients?

Did you not know what the OP meant from the OP?

I’m sure he’ll clarify it further for you if you need it.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

They were lightly cooked in olive oil from virgins. It’s the sugar that makes people cranky and pedantic you know!

duntstick
    Free Member

Shouldn’t fry in olive oil, carcinogenic at high temperatures

fourbanger
    Free Member

My GF goes in for all this and I do enjoy the food she makes, but I’ll still have a burger and a pint when I feel like it.
    However, sweet potato wedges are ace. Clean, cut into wedges, bake in oven at 200 for 40 minutes, toss with a bit of paprika. Job done!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Chips thouroughly pissed on.

Never mind, have biscuit , cheeseburger, grated carrot.

(We cook 90% from fresh. Better, tastier, healthier.)

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The celeriac pieces were par boiled first, so high temperatures were not used. My mistake was using the word chips.

scotroutes

So. Processed food is OK if it doesn’t involve sugar?

chakaping
    Free Member

mikew – giving things up can be a refreshing experience

try giving up being an internet smartarse and see if it makes you feel more alive?

tomd
    Free Member

Nice one OP, glad you feel better for it.

I think most people understand what processed food is. Unless you rip vegetables out of the ground* and munch them all food is processed. Home cooked from raw ingredients vs mass produced with lots of added extras.

*shaking the dirt off could even be a process, if you’re pedantic enough, so best not do that.

thered

Gratefully the wife loves to cook from scratch so we rarely have any processed food, my guts feel soooo much better than they did 4 years ago and I can eat pretty much any of it and not put on weight.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Shouldn’t fry in olive oil

Bollocks

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Well, I started by not eating any food that has its own TV advert…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

try giving up being an internet smartarse and see if it makes you feel more alive?

Lol just laughing at the new middle class “Wholefood” definition of cooking stuff 😉

thered

You seem quite wound up, having a go at me, having a go at him. Maybe ride a bike and spend less time being angry at a keyboard.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Isn’t ripping them from the ground a process? tomd, even eating them is a process 🙄

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Who you calling middle class?

j450n
    Free Member

If tha shakin off mud an t’ worms from plants, then it’s not worth avin!

chakaping
    Free Member

having a go at me

I’m one of the few people who’s given you an honest pricing for your frame.

Was I mistaken to take the thread at face value? Was it really a stealth ad?

I bet I’m close to what you actually get for it either way.

😛

molgrips
    Free Member

Well there’s processed food and processed food.

Sounds like you were eating bad food, some of which may have been processed. It sounds as if in cutting out processed food you’ve ended up eating more healthy food, but that’s not always the case necessarily.

You can have wholefood burgers on hand made wholemeal buns with hand cut chips, but it’s still a burger and chips.

mass produced with lots of added extras.

You can also get mass produced food without added extra (bad) stuff. Read the labels.

wwaswas

Who you calling middle class?

“leave him Wayne, he’s not werf it!”

ransos
    Free Member

I think most people understand what processed food is. Unless you rip vegetables out of the ground* and munch them all food is processed. Home cooked from raw ingredients vs mass produced with lots of added extras.

I think there’s a lot to be said for processing food yourself – you know exactly what you’re eating.

P-Jay
    Free Member

lemonysam – Member

Shouldn’t fry in olive oil

Bollocks

Seriously, it’s a crap oil for frying, the smoke point is far too low and it has too strong a taste.

People see Olive Oil = Healthy, but it’s not ‘designed’ to be fried with, Sunflower oil is just as ‘good’ for you as Olive oil and can be used for frying.

zippykona

tomd
    Free Member

Oh yeah not all “processed food” from the supermarket is bad. McCain frozen oven chips are potato + veg oil.

mogrim

Seriously, it’s a crap oil for frying, the smoke point is far too low and it has too strong a taste.

Well, that’s all of Spanish cooking out the window then!

molgrips
    Free Member

Seriously, it’s a crap oil for frying

We use it. We don’t use extra virgin though – that’s for salad dressing and does taste strong. The plain sexually experienced kind is fine.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As for ‘processed food’ it depends, if you were throwing Fray Bentos pies down you every night then there’s an obvious health benefit to stopping that – but it’s not rocket surgery, some people claim these evil food producers ‘hide’ lots of salt, sugar and fat in processed foods – well they don’t it’s clearly labelled.

Heinz for example, that evil American food processor have been reducing salt and sugar content in their food of years, some of their goods are actually very ‘healthy’.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you want pasta sauce in a jar, the Lloyd Grossman ones don’t contain anything I wouldn’t put in it myself if I were making it. And they test better than half the restaurants I’ve been in, including those in Italy 🙂

For curries – Spice Tailor from Waitrose are fantastic – but the range isn’t that big so you’ll want to get creative with how you cook them up (as per the suggestions in the packet).

lemonysam
    Free Member

Some olive oil has almost no taste at all and not all frying takes place at above its smoke point, in fact I’d say most (that I do) doesn’t. It’s almost like it’s a perfectly good tool for some situations and not such a good tool for others.

chewkw
    Free Member

Do not pig out i.e. stuff your face so much even when you are 100% full.

My rule of thumb is to have 70% full stomach for every meal.

Eat the quality stuff. Avoid shite like those half fat/skimmed/low calories/high temperature oil processed/sweetener replacement food.

Eat simple food.

😀

thered

Chakaping, I really am very sorry, mistaken identity, can’t apologise enough. 😳

ransos
    Free Member

but it’s not rocket surgery, some people claim these evil food producers ‘hide’ lots of salt, sugar and fat in processed foods – well they don’t it’s clearly labelled.

It’s pretty meaningless though – whereas adding your own sugar/ salt/ fat to food makes you much more aware of what you’re eating. Not that fat is bad for you per se…

the-muffin-man

My rule of thumb is to have 70% full stomach for every meal.

How do you measure this – do you swallow a dip-stick!?

mikey3
    Free Member

Maybe a viewing window,cool:)

piemonster

Oh yeah not all “processed food” from the supermarket is bad. McCain frozen oven chips are potato + veg oil.

Gives peas a chance

piemonster

Maybe a viewing window,cool:)

I have a window of sorts that provides a good indication of increased consumption.

I tend not to view it though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘The benefits of not eating processed food.’ is closed to new replies.