Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • The benefits of not eating processed food.
  • mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think if you can eat fresh food made from the least messed with ingredients that has to be good, as for clear labelling the food industry has a long history of misleading consumers – corn syrup was initially introduced as a healthy substitute for sugar for instance .

chewkw
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member

My rule of thumb is to have 70% full stomach for every meal.

How do you measure this – do you swallow a dip-stick!? [/quote]

Use your gut feeling.

FFS! Do you have to live by the “rational” scientific exact rules and cannot judge when not to have a full stomach?

If you really want to be a scientific count the number of scoops you eat now then reduce that by 30%, or weight your cooked food before you eat.

🙄

P-Jay
    Free Member

ransos – Member

but it’s not rocket surgery, some people claim these evil food producers ‘hide’ lots of salt, sugar and fat in processed foods – well they don’t it’s clearly labelled.

It’s pretty meaningless though – whereas adding your own sugar/ salt/ fat to food makes you much more aware of what you’re eating. Not that fat is bad for you per se…

Do you think? It’s in grams – plus it tells you the whole amount – for example I like a bit of Dolmio Sauce there’s 30g of Sugar in a Jar of Dolmio which is quite a lot I suppose and someone who’s “not into processed food” might gasp and say “those sneaky bastards” as if the Dolmio puppets poured a handful of it into each jar, but in reality the main ingredient in Dolmio is Tomatoes, which as any internet pendant will tell you is a fruit and fruit contains sugar if you were to spend the time to make your own – oh so healthy tomato sauce and used 6 tomatoes you would also have 30g of sugar in your sauce.

As an ‘average man’ I’m told I should consume about 70g of Sugar a day, so eating a quarter of a jar of Dolmio would give me – 15g of that – I’d probably have to have some Haribo to make it up or something.

If you love cooking (like I do) by all means cook from basic ingredients when you have the time, but don’t fool yourself into thinking you can eat whatever you want as long as it’s “whole” it’s nonsense and if you are concerned about your intake of any particular thing – sugar, fat, trans fats, Omega 3 or whatever you’re often far more ‘blind’ doing so with basic ingredients.

jfletch
    Free Member

if you are concerned about your intake of any particular thing – sugar, fat, trans fats, Omega 3 or whatever you’re often far more ‘blind’ doing so with basic ingredients.

This is very true of the my fitness pal/calorie control generation.

It’s very easy to scan a barcode or read a packet and know exactly how many calories you are consuming whether that is to put into an app or just to restrict yourself to a sensible number.

slowoldman

chewkw is right you know. And no mention of zombie maggots for a change. Keep it up.

ransos
    Free Member

Do you think? It’s in grams – plus it tells you the whole amount – for example I like a bit of Dolmio Sauce there’s 30g of Sugar in a Jar of Dolmio which is quite a lot I suppose and someone who’s “not into processed food” might gasp and say “those sneaky bastards” as if the Dolmio puppets poured a handful of it into each jar, but in reality the main ingredient in Dolmio is Tomatoes, which as any internet pendant will tell you is a fruit and fruit contains sugar if you were to spend the time to make your own – oh so healthy tomato sauce and used 6 tomatoes you would also have 30g of sugar in your sauce.

You’re proving my point: make your own tomato sauce and you know you’ve added no sugar. Dolmio has the sugar in tomatoes plus added sugar.

So you’re saying that Dolmio has 30g added sugar as well as

lemonysam
    Free Member

So you’re saying that Dolmio has 30g added sugar as well as

I think that’s precisely what he’s not saying.

wwaswas

I think that’s precisely what he’s not saying.

+1

steveoath
    Free Member

Did someone say Dolmio… time for…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhJN9Xiwo8[/video]
    Possible NSFW content.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well said OP. I do all I can to avoid “ready made” and also highly processed foods inc sugar. Much better for it.

Re sugar/salt – ready made foods have huge amounts of this added to them. Far more than you would ever do if you made it yourself. I don’t agree with the point above that you are blind eating basic / self made foods vs packaged. its very easy to work out the fat/calory/sugar content of natural products.

molgrips
    Free Member

Re sugar/salt – ready made foods have huge amounts of this added to them

Nor all of them. Generally (but not solely) the cheap and nasty ones.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Cheers jambalaya, i’m not trying to lose weight, in fact i’m consuming about 50% more food now as there are no empty calories, we don’t add salt as our taste buds have recovered from the onslaught and food is tasty without it.

IdleJon

i’m not trying to lose weight, in fact i’m consuming about 50% more food now as there are no empty calories,

While I agree with the idea of cooking from scratch as much as possible, I don’t think that ^^ makes much sense.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Went off overly processed stuff years ago, but mainly because I got to like cooking and kept seeing stuff that I thought I could do myself, and turns out it’s much better tasting from fresh-ish ingredients and satisfying.

Still most things are processed in some way, but it’s the processed meat that’s basically reconstituted sludge scraped off the floor of the slaughter house and then stuffed with chemicals to make it taste okay that are best to be avoided. Just because it’s shite.

Stuff I make isn’t really healthy though, mainly because I make huge portions and scoff it all myself, especially after bike rides, plus add booze on top. Also tends to be a lot of pasta based stuff. Or curry. Nice though 😀

And Dolmio – whether a tin of tomatoes has the same sugar or not, it’s just plain lazy. Do it yourself, takes no time at all, far cheaper, and can make it taste better. Simple level of cooking. It’s what you learn as a student to do spag bol 😉 . Well, it’s what students used to learn when they really were poor and didn’t have a fortune in loans to spend so were forced to learn to cook.

Oh and Aunt f’in Bessies and her lazy-ass expensive cardboard yorkshires! Makes my blood boil that stuff. They don’t even taste nice.

lemonysam – Member
    Shouldn’t fry in olive oil

Bollocks[/quote]

Fry your bollocks?

llama

Jars of sauces such as dolmio are just rank. Fair enough, if you are so pushed for time, I suppose it is better than a ready meal lasagne, but not a patch on what you can make with little extra effort or cost.

Try to cook from ingredients that don’t have an ingredient list. It’s practically impossible to do so 100%, but pretty easy in the case of dolmio.

But lets face it, even basics such as flour and salt have added ingredients. The supermarket started selling English apples this month. What have they been treated with to keep them fresh for the last 4 months? The way some stuff just shrivels rather than rots is not natural.

The food industry prey on peoples reluctance to pay for quality with either their cash or their time, and use this to make as much cash out of us as possible.

edit: an interesting article on this from the other day

lemonysam
    Free Member

What have they been treated with to keep them fresh for the last 4 months?

My neighbours still have apples from last year – untreated and off their tree. Undamaged apples will keep for ages in the right environment.

edit: In their case a beaten up filing cabinet in the shed. Does that count as high tech?

llama

My neighbours still have apples from last year – untreated and off their tree. Undamaged apples will keep for ages in the right environment.

accepted – maybe that is all there is to it – but it’s not what I would do if I was a major supplier and wanted higher confidence on preservation. I also find it interesting that the same supermarket does not sell English apples in Oct+Nov. I guess I am just a cynical old git but I just don’t trust the food industry.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve never understood things like Dolmio – it’s basically saving you the time it takes to chop and fry an onion and some garlic, then chuck in some dried herbs?

I was going to link to that Guardian article, but llama got there first. Instead, here’s a blog post on knowing what you’re eating.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well, I started by not eating any food that has its own TV advert…

Eggs?
    Milk?
    Bacon?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I suspect they probably spray some fungicide on and seal them.

Pretty sure our supermarket (Waitrose darling…) sells english apples all winter incidentally.

Sandwich

but it’s not rocket surgery, some people claim these evil food producers ‘hide’ lots of salt, sugar and fat in processed foods – well they don’t it’s clearly labelled.

Have a look at processing aids in the food industry. These can be used and not declared on the label as an ingredient. The processed food industry is having a concerted push on getting synthetic things off-label as mentioned in the article linked above.

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s basically saving you the time it takes to chop and fry an onion and some garlic, then chuck in some dried herbs?

Also includes tomatoes. Roasting them nicely takes a bit of time, and you have to plan ahead to buy them and use them before they rot. Plus they aren’t cheap. And it’s almost certainly more eco friendly to stew vast quantities of tomatoes in Italy during the summer and store them in jars than it is to fly fresh tomatoes to the UK all year round so you can stew them in your own kitchen.

Do it yourself, takes no time at all, far cheaper

Disagree. Jar of Lloyd’s best, £2. You need quite a lot of tomatoes to get that rich taste so I’m going to go with 1kg, which in plum tomatoes alone is £3 from Tesco. You could do ok with tinned I suppose, that’d be slightly cheaper I suppose. The wine’s not as cheap though.

Unless you’re one of these people who chucks some dried herbs and a splodge of tomato purree in some mince and calls it bolognaise? If so, I disagree that it tastes better 🙂

Undamaged apples will keep for ages in the right environment.

Saw a bit about this on telly. They put apples in a humungous chilled warehouse with an oxygen controlled atmosphere. No nasties involved.

Jars of sauces such as dolmio are just rank. Fair enough, if you are so pushed for time, I suppose it is better than a ready meal lasagne, but not a patch on what you can make with little extra effort or cost.

Dolmio’s not that nice, but Lloyd is. I’ll bet yours isn’t as nice, and I’ll do a double blind test if you’re local, and video it.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

the thing with sauces such as tomato ones is that they can legally say it contains tomatoes even if they are reconsituted from a pulp so any benefit you’d get has been processed out of them,as others have said where’s the hard ship in knocking up a quick sauce, knowing what is in it, can’t take more than ten mins if you’re in a hurry.

molgrips
    Free Member

any benefit you’d get has been processed out of them,

Wtf are you talking about? Have you ever cooked a tomato? What the hell is cooking tomatoes if it’s not reducing them to a pulp? You honestly think that when the big nasty people heat up their tomatoes in a big pan they are spending time and money to remove the nutrients to be especially mean to you?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

no .check out the article linked earlier by llama and it describes better than I could the processes used in processing food whereby cheaper ingredients can be substituted .sadly we live in a world where food can come from some worrying sources such as gm , flavours can be replicated chemically and all sorts of nasties sneaked in by a massive food industry which historically has misled consumers to increase profit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is that the same lloyd that got hammered for the high salt content ?

nemesis
    Free Member

This thread is STW through and through – Pedantry, middle class angst, middle class snobbery, inverted snobbery, one-upmanship, taking offence at the slightest thing. All we need is jhj to join with his conspiracy theory about big business making us all fat so that we become p-does for the politicians or something and it’ll be complete.

Well done everyone and carry on 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, some people in the industry do stuff like that, I’m sure, but not all of them.

There is good ready made food as well as shite.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I’m out

BoardinBob

People seem to be confusing processed with converting the food from it’s original form.

Obviously pretty much any form of cooking involves “processing” the food in some way, but the conventional idea of processed food is that which has been created, treated or altered with non-naturally occuring additives, colourings etc.

I avoid “processed” food as much as possible and classify it more as “eating clean”. I’m happy to cook and prepare my own meals safe in the knowledge that I controlled exactly what ingredients went into it rather than eating an off the shelf ready meal that’s full of additional guff I’d prefer not to eat.

molgrips
    Free Member

but the conventional idea of processed food is that which has been created, treated or altered with non-naturally occuring additives, colourings etc.

Indeed. Check the ingredients.

I prefer to buy some quality ready made food and not waste as much time farting about in the kitchen, so I can use it elsewhere.

brassneck

Oh and Aunt f’in Bessies and her lazy-ass expensive cardboard yorkshires! Makes my blood boil that stuff. They don’t even taste nice.

I give you .. pancake mix!

Some processing can be good. Apparently tinned toms contain more lycopene than fresh. I don’t know what it is or why more is good though 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Some processing can be good. Apparently tinned toms contain more lycopene than fresh. I don’t know what it is or why more is good though

I’m pretty sure it makes you turn into a werewolf.

jon1973
    Free Member

Gives peas a chance

Are you part of some underground revolutionary army..? I’ve seen your work.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

No need to be too zealous about it though I don’t think. Me and MrsSalmon cook probably 80-90% of our meals from scratch but every so often we’ll be lazy and have a chicken pie and chips (Linda McCartney for her). I reckon it’s all good as long as it’s not routine, but I would steer clear of things like whole curry ready meals etc.
    I’m with molgrips in that not everything that comes in a packet from the supermarket is necessarily all that bad. Obviously you need to keep an eye on the ingredients though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I draw the line at ready meals, purely due to taste. The extra effort of cooking a spice tailor meal is worth the 1000x taste increase. Stewing my own tomatoes isn’t, for me.

miketually
    Free Member

Dolmio’s not that nice, but Lloyd is. I’ll bet yours isn’t as nice, and I’ll do a double blind test if you’re local, and video it.

I’m not local to you, but my bolgnese from tinned toms would kick Lloyd’s best’s arse 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Whenever I’ve tried a chilli or bolognaise that its creator had boasted about, it’s been seriously rubbish.

core

+1 for sweet potato wedges/chips, I’d have them over spuds any day!

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Whenever I’ve tried a chilli or bolognaise that its creator had boasted about, it’s been seriously rubbish.

Maybe you just like shit food? 🙂

Just saying it’s a possibility. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘The benefits of not eating processed food.’ is closed to new replies.