Viewing 38 posts - 201 through 238 (of 238 total)
  • The BBC.
  • chakaping
    Free Member

…and some things better than anyone else – looking at you Radio 3.

And Radio 4. And 6 Music. And Cbeebies. And celebrities prancing about in ballgowns for nans to watch with their grandkids.

mogrim

…and some things better than anyone else – looking at you Radio 3.

FWIW Spanish Radio Clásica is just as good, which is perhaps unsurprising as a lot of their live concerts are the same European broadcasts.

blurty

I find it heartening that the Tory party hate the Beeb for being left leaning, and similarly Owen Jones thinks it’s chock full of right wingers. I think the Beeb does a reasonable job of threading a passage through choppy waters.

DrJ

I think the Beeb does a reasonable job of threading a passage through choppy waters.

You may think that, but you’d be wrong, just as the Tory party are wrong on so many issues.

BigJohn

The television will not be revolutionised

chewkw
    Free Member

Are they other channels on BBC that is worth watching other than BBC News and weather? Coz that’s the only programme I watch on BBC. I think they should keep this programme and give the rest up for subscription. It will certainly be more expensive if subscription is put in place, coz that is how the world works nowadays. I think I have seen most of what needs to be seen in this world now so there is really nothing new to watch …

judetheobscure
    Free Member

Jeez, you guys still watching TV? The BBC is garbage but then so is most of popular culture. No lament for any potential demise here; I’m happy with music and books.

grum
    Free Member

Oh wow cool edgy alternative guy has arrived

colournoise

Music and books aren’t part of popular culture?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Jeez, you guys still watching TV? The BBC is garbage but then so is most of popular culture. No lament for any potential demise here; I’m happy with music and books.

Looks like we got ourselves a reader. Username checks out.

inkster
    Free Member

If that’s a Bill Hicks quote jambo you forgot the quotation marks!

footflaps

Are they other channels on BBC that is worth watching other than BBC News and weather?

I’d have said their news has been weak for years (although to be fair I probably only watch it in Hotels / bars etc). Channel 4 seems to have taken their crown as most reliable news provider, I thought John Snow was excellent.

inkster
    Free Member

BBC4!

Their arts documentaries are outstanding, Andrew Graham Dixon, Waldemar Januzchek and the absolute don of television documentaries, the imperious Jonathan Meades. They are the absolute benchmark for documentaries.

Watching Sky Arts as I type, it’s good it not a patch on the kind of output BBC4 has been responsible for, though their budgets has been severely restricted in recent years and there’s a lot more repeats than there used to be.

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh wow cool edgy alternative guy has arrived

LOL!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

BBC4!

Essentially a repeats channel, they aren’t commissioning new stuff for it

footflaps

Random thread resurection, but we were actually visited by a TV license person this morning. Sadly, he / she didn’t so much as knock on the door, just posted through a ‘You’ve been visited’ hand filled in form.

Have to say I’m a bit dissapointed they didn’t even knock.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n3yFL1]TV License visit[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

james-rennie

No way! haha! I thought they always were, and continued to be myth. Anyway, do you have a license?

footflaps

Anyway, do you have a license?

No, but neither do we have a TV….

Drac

No, but neither do we have a TV….

And you don’t have a device you can stream on where you watch TV?

MoreCashThanDash

Or radio…..?

scotroutes

My car needs a TV licence?

(Hint: you don’t need a TV licence to listen to the radio)

trailmonkey

I’m really surprised to find a link between anti BBC rhetoric/Social media baiting and 55 Tufton Street, London SW1.

scotroutes

You are JHJ and ICMFP

martinhutch

‘To avoid another visit, please act within seven days.’

Do they check whether you’ve joined the local am dram society, or will reciting the Parrot sketch in the front room do?

kelvin

I enjoyed this…

Roadshow

Twitter source.

footflaps

Have plenty of devices which could but never watch BBC (or any TV channels). NB You don’t need a license to own a device capable of streaming TV, only to use it to do so.

Netflix is pretty much all we watch and not a lot of that either – I’ve been watching Foundation for several weeks now and only got as far as Episode 4.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Random thread resurection, but we were actually visited by a TV license person this morning. Sadly, he / she didn’t so much as knock on the door, just posted through a ‘You’ve been visited’ hand filled in form.

They have told a commons select committee that they expect to double prosecutions now we coming out if the pandemic

They’ll probably credit check you and realise you aren’t vulnerable and ignore you and go for the easy pickings

footflaps

Previous years I’ve just rung up and told them I don’t have a TV and they leave you alone, but I can’t be arsed anymore and am quite curious to see what happens if you don’t….

kelvin

Sounds like a load of pointless hassle created by an annoying virtue signaller to me. Just tell them, instead of us. Fuss over.

Drac

Have plenty of devices which could but never watch BBC (or any TV channels). NB You don’t need a license to own a device capable of streaming TV, only to use it to do so.

Correct! Then you have nothing to worry about.

kelvin

“They’re chasing me for VED, but the joke is on them… I’ve taken it off the road, but I’m not telling them it’s SORN, I’m telling you lot instead… I want to see what they do. Isn’t working as a civil servant fun. Getting to waste all that time and money because of my japes.”

footflaps

Isn’t working as a civil servant fun.

They actually work for Capita, although probably indirectly eg temps / sub contractors.

“They’re chasing me for VED

There is a clear legal distinction between the two scenarios (although I’m sure you don’t care in the slightest). With VED you are obliged to tell them whereas with TV you’re not.

an annoying virtue signaller to me

You’re airing your insecurities in public again….

docrobster
    Free Member

My mother in law moved in to a new build retirement complex last week. Over 70s only apartments you know the type.
    There were 4 mildly threatening letters from tv licensing waiting for her in the mat on move in day…!
    I felt like a right rebel for the 24 hours between plugging the tv in and informing them that she had moved house!
    Must be slim pickings I guess finding addresses without tv licenses

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I doubt it. All the address data will be available to them, cross reference with credit checking agencies and you get a list of easy targets. Poor area, low credit rating, suddenly stop paying, they will focus on these rather than the long-term no licence addresses

Drac

Or they’re automatically generated.

kelvin

With VED you are obliged to tell them whereas with TV you’re not.

You’re not legally obliged, but it takes seconds, less time than to tell us you haven’t.

Cougar

You’re not legally obliged, but it takes seconds, less time than to tell us you haven’t.

You know what the S in SORN stands for, right? You can be fined for having a vehicle which is neither taxed nor SORNed. The same is not true for TV licensing.

I have a TV licence, I think it’s good value, but if I didn’t need one then I wouldn’t be notifying them because of their bully-boy tactics.

kelvin

Yes, I know the difference. I meant no legal obligation to declare that you don’t need a TV license. I was acknowledging/agreeing that difference exists. But taking a public stand not to notify, rather than just doing it, achieves what exactly? Causing cost and hassle to make a point.

Viewing 38 posts - 201 through 238 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘The BBC.’ is closed to new replies.