Home Forums Chat Forum The avocado bathroom suites of the future

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 315 total)
  • The avocado bathroom suites of the future
  • IHN

Recent house hunting and then noticing something on the dog walk this morning got me thinking – what current house design/decoration trends are going to be the avocado bathroom suites of the future, i.e. super trendy now, but in twenty years time people will be saying “WTF were we/they thinking, that’s gopping!”. I shall kick off with:

Grey frames on windows. They seem to be all the rage at the moment.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Grey window frames look far better than white ones on sandstone houses (mine are white!)

White epoxy stone driveways.

LED soffit downlights.

Electric gates.

kayak23

Those composite doors with the big sweeping curve of glass panels.
    Peak naff 😂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wood burning stoves
    Hot tubs

Oh and houses without a dedicated WFH room.

white101

False grass

jimdubleyou

Grey houses.

Looking out the window at the short terrace opposite, leftmost has had a full remodel / extension and painted the outside light grey with anthracite windows.

Next three are in the original pebbledash / brick combo with varying degrees of paint.

The grey house looks rubbish, and out of place. They’ve also got a grey door like the one above…

squadra
    Free Member

Room-width muti-fold doors.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Grey Windows and Doors on newer houses definitely. They’re already looking ‘out of fashion’s.

Do some people still write Live Laugh Love on the wall?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bifold doors in the UK. Bring the outdoors inside…..15 minutes a year.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Do some people still write Live Laugh Love on the wall?

From what we’ve seen on Rightmove recently, most definitely so!

nickc

Massive telly on the wall

vinnyeh

bifold doors
    blue led lights.
    polished concrete worksurfaces/sinks in the kitchen
    poorly constructed damp and unused garden offices that need to be dismantled and carted awaywhen you’ve bought a new house.
    frosted glass
    those composite doors kayak mentioned. Who the hell designs them.

DrJ

LED soffit downlights.

No need to wait for the future, these already look crap.

IHN

Oh, and reeeeeeeaaaaaally gloss kitchens.

franksinatra

LED soffit downlights.

I’m glad someone mentioned these. What a waste of electricity. The serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

We just replaced all of our windows with new anthracite grey framed windows.

nickjb
    Free Member

Those “designer” doors is a good shout. There’s a few round here that have replaced their original Victorian or Art Deco door with some horrible modern thing. Looks totally out of place.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glossy kitchens = folk that don’t cook.

Kayak, agreed, that’s awful.

IHN

We just replaced all of our windows with new anthracite grey framed windows.

People thought their bathrooms were nice at the time ;-)

Rio

Anything that’s a trend will eventually be considered naff, after all the home improvement industry needs to keep selling you new stuff. So yes, grey window frames, and also the slightly naff cream windows that they put on new builds round here. Bifold doors. Kitchen islands. Fake chimneys. Crittall windows and doors are probably going that way too which is a shame as I quite like them.

MoreCashThanDash

When we bought our (1979 built) house we had an avocado loo downstairs and a peach Melba bathroom suite.

Sadly both were functionally fine and we had to live with them for a few years till they worked their way up the priority list.

jam-bo

Bifold doors in the UK. Bring the outdoors inside…..15 minutes a year.

we don’t all live beyond the wall…

lerk
    Free Member

Franksinatra

LED soffit downlights.

I’m glad someone mentioned these. What a waste of electricity. The serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Depends on how they are done. I’ve noticed some that are completely overdone and always on, but I installed some over the garage door and front door linked to a flush mount PIR so they work as security lights but are invisible from the street.

The lights that project a beam of light up and down the wall however…

That and dark grey bathroom tiles the size of Wales are likely to be the avocado suite of the 50s

trail_rat
    Free Member

I put soffit lights in …..above my back door over the step.

I like them. But then there are only 2 and they are there to illuminate the step. Surrounding the whole house in them isn’t cool.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh, those extensions to houses that are clad with wood, and untreated, left to go grey like an auld pigeon hut!.

rhinofive

I think if you combine everything already mentioned and add ripping up hedges and grass to replace with astroturf and always using your awful ugly BMW X6 to hoon through the village you’ve pretty much nailed our excellent new(ish) neighbours

wzzzz
    Free Member

White UPVC is truly a scourge. Grey at least hides the fat frames.

Any frames over an inch deep need to be black.

Room-width muti-fold doors.

Yes with associated drop in thermal performance especially when the seals get dragged out, destroyed and left out.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i disagree with the grey windows, most of the time it always looks better than white apart from on georgian buildings but they are usually in conservation areas anyway.
    i had to have reddy brown to match the rest of the building rubbish 80’s wooden double glazing, would have had grey if allowed.

plinth lights and their pelmet cousins.
    wondering how long institution bathrooms with coloured grout will hang around?

grum
    Free Member

Definitely the glossy kitchens imo. I don’t see how bifold doors will though.

I think grey windows can look pretty classy, depends on the house finish I suppose.

petrieboy

Absolutely those “modern” front doors. Screams “I’ve seen a modern house on grand designs and I want to make my 1950s bungalow the same on a budget of £800. Also I have no sense of style or design”

MrSmith
    Free Member

i think the single biggest housing monstrosity of the last 30 years is the conservatory.
    either too cold or too hot apart from that weekend in the spring where it’s nice and bright and feels like summer is maybe on it’s way and then for another weekend in autumn where it feels just right when outside needs a thicker jumper.
    the worst ones are the round pointy country house style stuck on the side of an 80’s semi.

got to hand it to the sales people though, you convinced an awful lot of people to buy something useless.

nickc

LED uplighting

hooli

Open plan spaces. Families will want rooms where you can shut the door and read without being in the same room as somebody cooking, somebody else watching telly and another person playing XBOX.

Laminate flooring.

Massive kitchen islands.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh, those extensions to houses that are clad with wood, and untreated, left to go grey like an auld pigeon hut!.

Seen my house then aye.

Better things to do than paint wood every other year.

And didn’t want more concrete to look at.

peekay

Are plantation shutters on the list?

Checking for “a friend”

ads678

I’m in the process of changing to grey windows. Looks so much nicer than the shit white thats there at the moment.

Just had a loft conversion and that clad in grey so it’ll all match nicely. Looks lovely against the shade of red brick we have. I like the fact that there is so much more choice now, white is just shit and old school fake wood is bloody awful. Old stone houses with nice shades of green are nice as well.

I’m also having a bi-fold door to the kitchen as a full width one gets in the way. Normal door width but bi-fold.

Also have double patio doors on the back that we are increasing to 3 door width…..

White tiles with grey grout in the en suite? Oh yes….

Kitchen won’t be shiny though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

In six months time… Garden offices. aka the shed where you can see all your shite dumped in it.

IHN

I’m in the process of changing to grey windows

Just had a loft conversion and that clad in grey so it’ll all match nicely.

That’s what the people who put that bathroom in up there said -^

robowns
    Free Member

I like bifold doors, good for parties.

Also like grey framed windows on old houses, but not new.

Those doors are naff and live laugh love is atrocious. Also not a fan of woodburners, novelty that wears off after a week.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Better things to do than paint wood every other year.

Lol, they’re everywhere round here!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 315 total)

The topic ‘The avocado bathroom suites of the future’ is closed to new replies.