Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The autumnal harvest
  • matt_outandabout

Been out blackberry and elderberry picking today. The jam is now bubbling.

Show me what you have – grown or foraged…

matt_outandabout

🤣🙄😜

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

might be facing the ban hammer for that.

loads of chanterel mushrooms and a fair few karl johans

tjagain

Sloe gin for me. Got enough sloes for another gallon

perchypanther
    Free Member

About 200 pissed up wasps who’ve been getting wired in to the fermenting windfall apples.

It’s like chucking out time at an insectoid Wetherspoons out there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apples are great this year, first year the wee katy tree has given us proper apple sized fruit, 3 years old.

Cox Orange not quite ready yet.

PP we used to have a plum tree at the last place, wasps were f’in horrific. Wee bastards.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Shh, trying to keep elderberries a little known secret, possibly my favourite. Decent haul yesterday, but maybe better next week.

mick_r

12 jars of damson jam hasn’t made a dent in the crop. Need to pick some more before they go bad.

Also got a pear tree – only gives a small crop, and somehow produces two different pears – small red (delicious, soft and juicy) and larger green (gritty and hard). Pear tree and a few wasps also irritates the neighbours 🙂 (tree was there long before them).

andy4d

My harvesting is coming to an end, I dug up the last of my spuds this afternoon, but still picking my autumn raspberries and have a few tomatoes and a cabbage left to pick then that is kind of it for this year. Looking forward to the start of October when I usually pick the sloes from a nearby lane to make my festive gin tipple.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Now just picking blackberries, french beans, mini cucumbers and courgettes now. Still got a few potatoes in the ground and lots of unripe tomatoes

cheers_drive

Made 10l of courgette and tomato soup yesterday to use up a glut of both. Last of the potatoes have been eaten.
    Purple sprouting broccoli is established for harvesting next spring. Runner and French beans both failed this year.
    The usual glut of pears and some apples but all the apples have codling moth damage.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I found some carrots & potatoes the other day while out biking. Had plenty blackberries & rasps out & about too.

Got enough sloes for another gallon

I got lots today, don’t think Iv’e seen as many round here. Looking forward to trying last years batch of gin but hanging on till xmas!

maccruiskeen

I found some carrots & potatoes the other day

A friend of mine moved from central Brum to rural Sussex and was genuinely astonished that farmers ‘just leave food lying about in the fields’

🙂

falkirk-mark

Took me ages to take the dogs a walk yesterday, the young un was in at every bramble bush and blueberry plants. Think she consumed more fruit in an hour than Hartleys (that’s a labrador for you)

MoreCashThanDash

Got the last decent tub of blackberries yesterday, just about all gone here

Klunk
    Free Member

*cough* some sweet corn *cough*

senorj

We have loads of apples to harvest.
    I have an apple picker. (Telescopic pole with a bag)
    The squirrel and the wasps got the plums.
    Already eaten the strawberries.
    🙂
    I saw a perfectly,ploughed field this morning.
    Immaculate,Dark brown furrows- made me a little sad. Winter coming and all that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

*cough* some sweet corn *cough*

Let me know how you get on, I’ve never had much success with *cough* ‘wild’ sweetcorn *cough*

thestabiliser
    Free Member

This is meant to be an apple tart but life’s too short to lay out apple slices neatly, tastes alreet like, eh

[url=https://gasstation-nearme.com/shell]shell gas station near my location[/url]

matt_outandabout

We have now 9lbs of wild sourced fruit made into jam. Om nom.

The “orchard” has been in two seasons now. It’s getting pruned properly, and a couple of extra trees added for next year.
    This year’s crop is a tad disappointing. This is about half of them…
    null

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The autumnal harvest’ is closed to new replies.