Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 771 total)
  • The 2011 Welsh Ride Thing is GO!
  • IanB
    Free Member

It’s the next post after the 40th that gets the top of the next page.

Anyway, I’m not playing that game any more.

Oh…

flatfish
    Free Member

Very good Ian 🙄

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Think you’ve got issues… 🙄 You wouldnt catch me trying to get the next page game… (If I didnt go to that meeting it would of been mine…ha ha ha )

flatfish
    Free Member

It’d be all mine if it wasnt for those Pesky meddling kids.

Tiger6791

Right after a very late night and much coffee / beer trying to fathom this I have decided that Stuart is clever / evil bugger.

Do 14 for a great ride but it’s well out of the way and then you should go get 3, skip 11 as it’s at 600 metres? but it’s near the other 12 & 13. Go get 12 an then your the wrong side of Cadair and nowhere near anywhere else. Skip 12 head down to Abergynolwyn have a pint and a meal at the Railway and then attack 11

argghhhhhhhhh…

WRT Overview by fantasticmrmatt, on Flickr

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Glad to be of assistance 😉

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Mr Matt, me to please please

flatfish
    Free Member

just click on the pic to blow it up

Dyffers
    Free Member

Tiger, think of it like a magic eye puzzle.

Plot the refs on one page/screen, unfocus your eyes and see what patterns emerge.

Then reroute a bit to maximise climbing and pub-proximity.

Finally, bin all that and just go for a ride round Wales.

————–

OT, but on a different forum far far away there’s a long discussion about the roadworks on the climb up Cadair Idris from Mac. The ‘joke’ seems to be to reroute via Staylittle if you want a HTFU proper ride. 😀

Tiger6791

I make no warranty that I’ve plotted those points correctly

IanB
    Free Member

argghhhhhhhhh…

What’s wrong with 10, 9, 11, 12, 13, 8 etc?

I was a bit stuck with which order to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 14 & 16, but I have it now. It the weather is pants, I’ll sack 3 and 14 and the route is more straight forward.

Nick

I make no warranty that I’ve plotted those points correctly

I think you need to check point 15….

Tiger6791

I think you need to check point 15….

Point 15 in my House 🙂

Nick

Had me checking that I’d plotted all my points correctly!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

It’s like Bingo 😉

we are thinking of heading toward your house Matt as it looks a lovely descent from 11 down towards Aberdyfi 😀

IanB
    Free Member

Matt, now that you’ve conveniently posted the location of your house, you better hope that it isn’t wet on Saturday night, otherwise everyone going clockwise will be in your back garden 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

I’ll bags the spare bed.

Tiger6791

Now you’ve got me thinking again, maybe go clockwise myself.

Ditch all of this bivi gear (only slows you down, waste of time, we moved on as species)

Plan

Sat – Bag 6,10,9 & 11. Ring wife when at 11 to start making dinner, Sleep in own bed 🙂

Sun – Get up early, have a fry up, get train to Barmoth and then bag 12,13,8,7,2,4,16,1,5. – See if Stu’s bunkhouse is available for the night 🙂

Mon – Bob out in the morning and bag 14 & 3

Hmmmmmmmmmm

valleydaddy
    Free Member

we’re just doing it in Steve’s camper van 😉

Like a MBUK WRT 😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

now where would be the fun in that MTFU and get dirty with the rest of us 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

Pete, you got 300 congratulations.

rufus748
    Free Member

Help needed!
    Just got a very late entry (thanks stuart!). Up against it a bit with time for planning the route with work etc. I see someone (Matt?)is circulating a printable map with points plotted, any chance of a copy please? it would really help out.
    Just need to find the nearest pubs/cafe’s then, no local knowledge at all, travelling from Exeter.
    Cheers guys, Andy

Tiger6791

I’ll email you when I boot the PC up after I finish the kids breakfast / food chaos wars.

Tiger6791

Right whose taking what?

Did a trial pack and I need to take fewer items.

Anthony
    Free Member

If didnothingfatal’s 4kg inc. tent and food is anything to go by (page6), not very much!

Seriously, can we have your kit breakdown with weights that’s pretty amazing!

Does that include fuel, bike spares, rucksack, drybags, straps etc or is it just the sceleton weight of the camping kit?

Tiger6791

Here you go 🙂

Trial Pack for WRT by fantasticmrmatt, on Flickr

flatfish
    Free Member

Might use a different colour dry bag though. 😐

Don’t know how to make pic bigger, sorry.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Depends upon what bike is built at the time but more than likely this will be it

but I have a Wildcat frame bag to use now and the saddle bag will be an Altura large one so I guess it will look much like Tigers one pic up.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Laser Comp tent, GoLite Ultralite Quilt #1,PAC Elite Mat
    Ti Kettle, Ti cutlery, white box stove. All in this lot is a little over 2 kilo.
    Food; dehydrated.
    clothing; Mountain Hardwear Quark, Rab UL down hoody or Montbell Down half sleeve, Montane ultralight pants, Rab pertex windshirt

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Pack is either Haglofs Endurance or Aarn Marathon Magic, things like first aid are Adventure medical UL + handful of diclofenac and painkillers, food can be covered with cash on the whole, GSI make a cool java drip but starbucks instant comes in one cup sachets, Expedition dehydrated food is pricy, so maybe a few breakfast biscuits and one main just in case, trousers for anti midge and cafes are Haglofs intense pants. I’ll wear a x bionic base all trip with cycling shirt over it, and use x bionic arm and leg warmers, assos endurance pad shorts. Only luxury is two spare pairs of socks. 8)

Dyffers
    Free Member

Was out audaxing in Wales this weekend.

I can now tell you that there’s not much at grid ref A8, and the pub at Mallwyd looks nicer than the one at Cemmaes. 😀

Anthony
    Free Member

Thats a seriously tasty kit list Didnothingfatal, the 4kg total inc. food you were aiming for isn’t a complete weight though; to include food and fuel if your buying stuff on route.

Taking the 2kg you listed above (shelter/sleeping/cooking) and allowing a rough rule of thumb of 1kg of food per day thats 4kg just for your food, shelter and cooking kit.

Add your bags, evening clothing you listed, fuel, bike spares etc. I suspect your nearing on 6-7kg. Still mighty impressive though.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Food weighs nothing. The pubs are holding onto it for me until I get there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Valleydaddy – looks like that bag on the front will foul the front tyre over bumps…

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

1kg a day? No, energy drink powder weighs very little, and dehydrated expedition meals weigh sub 200g a meal. Add a few gels and buy food wherever I find it, saturday evening I’ll be passing through Machynlleth so will grab a pizza, eat and keep going. Dean Karnazes eats junk whilst running, it’s just energy you need, so jelly babys and gels will work! The cooking is purely boil water, so 250ml meths will suffice, by monday I’ll be heading back in, so only really need to worry about sunday, and I have plans to breakfast in Dolgellau.

Bike spares; instant patches and tyre boot, supersonic tube, small multitool, sram link, spare disk pads

Quark is effectively mozzie net on a gore style layer; one of the ligtest waterproofs ever made, Haglofs intense pants are lightweight, as for the pertex stuff it’s very light, mont bell half sleeve is 200g. Clothing will be finalised based on forecast.

Drybags are Aloksak.

Both the Haglofs and Aarn packs are adventure racing packs, and devoid of any extras, so pretty purposeful.

Everything is pretty much adventure racing ultralight gear, as I’ve been using this stuff for years in the mountains. It’s only 48 hours out on a bike with a few camps so it’s a case of how little can I do without 🙂 The bike is fully rebuilt and had a 120k shake down yesterday, so no worries there hence so little spares!

Debating how far am I prepared to ride in dark to get to where I plan to be?

The biggest weight is the Revelate Viscacha on the seat post!

Anthony
    Free Member

Yup but your still listing 2kg+ of shelter/sleeping, 1kg+ of night clothing/waterproofs, at least 0.6kg of luggage, 0.2kg meths, 0.3kg+ bike spares.

Your over 4kg without any food just there, not including sundries like first aid?

I’m sorry I’m being pedantic, its just that I got excited that there may be a way of doing a 2-night trip with food, all under 4kg 🙂

Tiger6791

Only one way to settle this,

Super light adventure racing stripped down …handbags! (at dawn)

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

1kg+ of clothes! Waterproof is 300g, add the down half sleeve @200g, Intense pants are under 250g and if weather is good are probably staying in the car when i leave same goes for the down warm weather it won’t be needed. Pertex is silly light. Tent, mat, quilt, cooking inc meths and a Lhoon is 2-2.1kg. Most clothing is going to worn, X Bionic is good in that you don’t feel hot or cold. So I’ll be wearing, shorts, riding shirt, x bionic base. helmet, arm & leg warmers. 1st aid is sub 100g with pills, repacked in aloksak. What else do i need, it’s a bike ride around wales! Never too far from a road so i’m not needing to carry much.
    Food is the weight I agree, but with Machynleeth and Dolgellau on the way why carry food? Makes no sense to me, pack food is pretty lousy and a full breakfast or pizza will easily fuel you for riding, 1:25 maps will show pubs.
    Add in the fact a Optimus crux and gas will weigh less than Meths and Burner I can loose more weight there too. Leave out stuff bags, etc. sub 5kg is achievable if you have the gear.
    The plan is to come in with a fully loaded bike at around 35lb, it gives 9-10 lbs of luggage and gear to get on board.

flatfish
    Free Member

Loaded up. All that needs to go in is my wallet and home cinema.
    Not gone for ultra light but just light.
    No idea what it weighs and couldn’t give a toss really, but it’s somewhere between 36-40 lbs including all my food for the whole event, although I may get some “hot” food from somewhere along the route.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Is anyone interested in stopping off for food before we get to Stuart’s place on Saturday, last year we had an early lunch at the Aleppo Merchant in Carno, if Stuart is planning to do the raffle at 12.30, then I could enquire whether they would be willing to serve us a late breakfast or somesuch as we would need to be away from there about 12.00 to allow for fettling time. I’m guessing we will start about 1.00. Meeting at 11.00am would seem sensible, I realise not everyone is coming from the East but as Carno is only 6 miles from Pennant it’s about the closest place I can think of. Let me know via here or e mail and I will enquire.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 771 total)

The topic ‘The 2011 Welsh Ride Thing is GO!’ is closed to new replies.