• This topic has 309 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 310 total)
  • Thanks for the work, Mods
  • Cougar

So ninfan trots out a playground insult and you threaten to give him a kicking, report him, and he gets a ban?

To be fair, in Ninfan’s case it’s one of cumulative damage. We rarely if ever issue a ban for a first offence, it’s a last resort when warnings don’t work. Frankly I’m amazed he’s still got an account. (-:

Cougar

I’ll take Gogg any day over that

What’s that when it’s at home?

scotroutes

So ninfan trots out a playground insult and you threaten to give him a kicking, report him, and he gets a ban?

Moderation is carried out by human beings who see the world through their own eyes and are therefore more likely to act against those who support the “other side” of the argument.

I wasn’t going to raise it but km79 refers to another example of noticeable bias. Scotch I can live with. There are other examples.

Drac

I wasn’t going to raise it but km79 refers to another example of noticeable bias.

I wasn’t going to raise it but km79 refers to another example of noticeable bias. Scotch I can live with. There are other examples.

Can you both email us. We do try to genuinely look but we don’t always see it the way others do.

Scotch as you see doesn’t bother you but clearly it does Km79. It put me right off my sausages meat and breadcrumb encrusted boiled egg.

km79
    Free Member

Do you mean Scotch?

Along with Jock and Sweaty, yes.

Edit: Scotch refers to something from Scotland (usually always by non-Scots), Scot refers to someone from Scotland. A similar example would be Oriental, something can be Oriental in origin but it would be considered offensive to call someone Oriental.

Pigface
    Free Member

Gogg is what we in the South call North Wales people comes from the Welsh word for north.

Drac

Sweaty I kind of see but again Jock not do but more so than Scoth.

Cougar

Moderation is carried out by human beings who see the world through their own eyes and are therefore more likely to act against those who support the “other side” of the argument.

Moderation is carried out by human beings who make often tricky judgement calls in grey areas. It’s not easy and we can (and do) make mistakes. When we do, we attempt to rectify that. Scotroutes, like a few others, you are very good at calling out issues and I for one am grateful for it.

I do try to be impartial, as I assume the others do too, and I try keep my “user” and “moderator” hats separate. How successful I am at that, I suppose you guys are the judge.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but using derogatory terms for Scottish people is mostly ok it would seem.

Chinky is also fine so you know pick the race you want to abuse. Its also ok to make male rape “jokes” when someone gets sent to hail …dont make female ones though

Also posters can lie but we cannot call them liars
    I am not really sure what the point of this thread is we all know EVERY poster on here will not agree on everything so really what is the point doing this

Overall the moderation on here is pretty even handed and the place would be worse without them and they are never going to make us all happy when some of us are such utter bellends

Cougar

Gogg is what we in the South call North Wales people comes from the Welsh word for north.

Every day’s a school day. Is it generally held as being derogatory, or just slang?

km79
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Sweaty I kind of see but again Jock not do but more so than Scoth.

Are you Scottish?

Drac

Chinky is also fine so you know pick the race you want to abuse.

Apparently not even when talking about food 😳

Are you Scottish?

On my mother’s side yes but for no I’m from Northumberland.

Junkyard
    Free Member

from Gogledd – basically means northerner – literally means NORTH

Is not an insult though can be as indeed can northerner in english

Nah Goggs will happily call themselves that so it is not an insult IMHO its not even at CHAV levels as an insult…its pretty much like saying you are from Accy in terms of abuse.

THM certainly used the term sweaty to wind up certain scottish posters but he has stopped now

scaredypants

Mods are people in the bike “community” (largely, anyway – Cougar, I’m not so sure!)

[quote]Well. My OH has been chronically ill for a few years now, which curtailed her riding. I felt I bit of a shit going out on my own when she loved it and couldn’t go, so I’ve not been out for ages. She’s a bit better now so hopefully we should be able to rectify that this year[/quote]That is excellent news, cougar – I hope that you have some great times
    … but it was the “people”, rather than the “biking” aspect I wasn’t sure about 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What’s that when it’s at home?

Gogledd is north/northern. Gogg from that, technically it should be Gog, but it looks odd.

Cougar

Also posters can lie but we cannot call them liars

This isn’t a decision I agree with so I’m not best placed to comment, but I believe the issue here is one of group bullying rather than an individual comment in isolation.

My personal non-moderator opinion is that if you don’t want to be called out for talking shit, don’t talk shit. (-:

Cougar

Apparently not even when talking about food

You’re never going to win that one, matey. You know this, right? (-:

… but it was the “people”, rather than the “biking” aspect I wasn’t sure about

Hah! Shitehawk. (-:

And, thankyou.

Drac

Scotroutes, like a few others, you are very good at calling out issues and I for one am grateful for it.

Yup he does especially the terms toward Scottish but we don’t always see it regardless, not easy to say if it is or just the reporter’s opinion.

scotroutes

I do try to be impartial, as I assume the others do too, and I try keep my “user” and “moderator” hats separate

I know you do and I think it mostly works, for most of the mods, most of the time. It’s difficult to completely overcome human nature though and the alternative would be some sort of review panel/jury which would be completely impractical. If I’m ever unhappy about decisions I only have to weigh that up against the overall benefits of the forum and accept that nothing is 100% perfect.

As always, tone can be lost on a forum and I do worry that what can be banter amongst folk who know each other outside of here could appear to be quite aggressive behaviour to folk who don’t know the connections.

Drac

You’re never going to win that one, matey. You know this, right? (-:

I know and you know what I’ve never actually used the term since my grilling so it seems they had the desired effect.

Drac

This isn’t a decision I agree with so I’m not best placed to comment, but I believe the issue here is one of group bullying rather than an individual comment in isolation.

Yup it’s about context.

km79
    Free Member

Yup he does especially the terms toward Scottish but we don’t always see it regardless, not easy to say if it is or just the reporter’s opinion.

There is an easy way to find out. On your next visit use the terms in conversation and see what the reaction is.

Cougar

I know and you know what I’ve never actually used the term since my grilling so it seems they had the desired effect.

The genie’s out of the bottle now though I’m afraid. The professionally offended all have it squirrelled away in their Big Bag O’ Anti-Moderator Ammo for future use. I’m a big old racist too don’t forget.

Pigface
    Free Member

Derogatory 😆

They call people from South Wales, Hwntws which means “over there”

iamtheresurrection

I cant imagine ever pressing ‘report post’ because somebody insults me, my family or my nationality: it’s like telling on somebody to a teacher, and I left school 30 years ago. It’s a forum on the internet, what does everybody expect? Rather than report and remove posts, leaving them there helps me to learn who to ignore

When the mods do get involved, you’ve got to be prepared for them to be as wrong as they are right. There’s no rule book and they making it up as they go along, relying on their moral compass (you know, just like the rest of us).

People arguing for the sake of arguing really need to have a word with themselves though: there are a few on here. Their lives must be really shit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Drac I meant it only in jest – no intention to Mungify the thread- I think it has been done [ to death]and its blindingly obvious you ar enot a racist

I also dislike the use of gay – its never ever used in a positive way

Nothing has ever been described as gay as a GOOD thing and its derogatory but almost no one who uses it this way [ on here anyway] is actually homophobic – hence hwy you have such a hard job pleasing us all

rmacattack
    Free Member

Drac

There is an easy way to find out. On your next visit use the terms in conversation and see what the reaction is.

Living on the border I’ve a lot of contact and while I hate to say it friends who are Scottish. Now eliminate the friends as a laugh amongst friends is different I’ve not heard anyone complain about Scotch, Jock but I wouldn’t use sweaty socks.

leffeboy

I am not really sure what the point of this thread is

The point was to thank the mods for keeping this place in order. As with previous incarnations of this topic it has turned instead into a discussion on the sorts of things that are modded and why

I for one am very happy with the way things are modded although I do disagree with some. Although it can be entertaining to watch a bun-fight from a distance and even to be involved, the line between being fun and turning nasty is rather fine. So we tend to have fewer bun fights but the result is that some threads end up going interesting places where otherwise the might have collapsed. I like it, so thank you from me too

Drac

Drac I meant it only in jest – no intention to Mungify the thread- I think it has been done [ to death]and its blindingly obvious you ar enot a racist

I know.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Hwntws reminds me of a band.
    Not to complicate things too much, there is a brand of Gogg called the Cofi, they’re a bit backwards though, they still haven’t finished building their castles yet! 😛 😀

Drac

It’s a forum on the internet, what does everybody expect?

To treat people with respect.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but I believe the issue here is one of group bullying rather than an individual comment in isolation.

LIke the way all the media say Trump is a liar when they lie so we stop them saying he is a liar rather than stop him lying?

The problem is what else do you do when someone keeps posting googleable “facts” that are wrong- some of which are pretty basic facts

You either call them a moron or a liar or both

The more folk do it the more it shows its true so punishing them for saying the truth is an odd one

I accept it can be used to bully as well

DRac I will never ever mention it again- sorry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cofi, they’re a bit backwards though, they still haven’t finished building their castles yet!

Insult for folk from Caernarfon- bit like calling someone a dingle

tjagain

So when do I get my moderators badge? I’m very moderate me. I’ll moderate ’em!

Drac

DRac I will never ever mention it again- sorry.

It’s a none issue.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The problem is what else do you do when someone keeps posting googleable “facts” that are wrong- some of which are pretty basic facts

What do you do when someone accuses people of being facists and nazis just because they are not uber left wing hand wringers?

JY- You are basically the left wing version of Jamba and Ninfan.

Cougar

Veering wildly off topic now, in as much as we were ever on topic, but,

I have a real problem with words in isolation and offence, I just find it a bit weird. Context is king. We have a Welsh friend who is oft referred to as an ovine fornicator by his friends (I don’t because it’s just a bit lazy), he takes it in good humour and has plenty to say in return; that doesn’t mean it’d be appropriate to use the same terminology to someone you didn’t know.

As evidenced on this very thread, different people see offence in different places. Is “Jock” offensive, for instance? I’ve honestly no idea, it sounds pretty harmless to me, but as an Englishman I certainly wouldn’t use it ordering a bag of chips in Glasgow just in case. To my mind there’s a difference between referring to someone as a Jock in a light-hearted and friendly way, and calling someone a ****ing Jock. Where I live, See You Next Tuesday is practically a term of endearment. Context.

Pigface
    Free Member

My barbers is called Jocks 😆

Drac

That saved me a lot of typing Cougar.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘Thanks for the work, Mods’ is closed to new replies.