Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tentipi's and the like. (Wood stove, camping content)
  • fatalbert
    Free Member

Anybody got one?
    Are they suitable for here in the UK, I will be camping all year round, I know of a few campsites now which allow you to burn wood, one I found even has a huge woodpile you pay a extra £7 and you can burn as much as you want.
    Just wondering for those which have used them do you opt for an open fire or use a wood stove like a frontier stove.
    Would it be suitable to bring my wife in tow, she enjoys camping in a modern style dome tent.

palmer77
    Free Member

We’ve got one, a Zaffir 7 or sumfin, the canvas one with the green skirt.

Not bad in winds, although persistent rain will eventually cause issues if you touch the inner

burko73

“Would it be suitable to bring your wife “

Yes, she’ll be fine. She never gets much sleep when she’s with me in my teepee……!

matt_outandabout

We use Helsport Varanger’s at work. They also do a poly cotton.

Note that last time I looked, I could fly to Sweden, pick up a Helsport or Tentipi from an outdoor shop on sale, stay overnight and fly home for £200 less than UK retail….

They are good, and decently robust, lovely spaces to be in for camps.

You need massive campsite, massive drying space, they cost daft money.

matt_outandabout

And I wold prefer a Helsport Valhall. 8)
    I just don’t have £1k for a tent.

gallowayboy

Lovely things – quick to put up, longer to put up right (the vent flap at the top is a bit of an art if you don’t want drips in British weather).
    But – packing away when wet and drying them is a pain; there’s no corners to stash stuff!; that pole in the middle can be a nuisance.
    If you set up camp for a week, it’s great. If you like to tour more you might tire of it.
    We havent done fires in the tent – just gas stove and gas light. I couldn’t be bothered faffing with stoves and chimney flaps and all that – a fire outside is fine for me.
    Expensive, but it’s a tent for life.

dave661350

A friend has a Safir 7 and uses a small stove with the long chimney pipe out of the top vent. It works a treat and doesn’t need much wood to get the tent very very warm inside, not sure about an open fire at all, would much prefer the small woodburner set up
    It’d have to get an awful lot uf use to make it work out reasonable though at the price tentipis are

fatalbert
    Free Member

The negatives posted already are pretty much confirming my suspicions so thanks. It’s all things to bear in mind as the stores and brochures don’t tell you this.
    Yes they are expensive, but not as expensive as a camper van what I really wanted.
    Hopefully it will last many years of all year round camping.
    Before I go any further in shelling out for one I’ve booked a 3 night stay in one on the Nation Trust site in the Langdale Valley in the Lake District. £137 for three night stay. Iam hoping it rains so I can experience what living in one really entails in the UK, eg coming off the fell soaking wet and trying to dry kit out over the stove etc. It will also give me a bit of time to get the wife accustomed to the idea of purchasing one.

yunki
    Free Member

You want a yurt mate..
    As soon as I live somewhere with enough space I’m gonna manufacture one.. There are plenty of online ‘how to’s’ and it’s pretty cost effective to DIY

spooky_b329

It almost sounds like you are considering living in one, like permanently 😉

However, even though I doubt this is your intention, this blog might be of interest and help you decide:

…rubbish, can’t find it. Someone linked to it a few years ago on here…guy in well paid IT job had mounting debts, went and lived in the Teepee style tent with woodburner and lasted about nine months. It was a good read…

fatalbert
    Free Member

I would be able to fit a yurt in my back garden.
    I have around 20 military WW2 canvas tents in in brown. It’s the only use I can thing of using them for is in the construction of a DIY yurt.

Saccades
    Free Member

160lb’ers?

I remember the scout having 2 of them (got destroyed by hurricane charlie) that were awesome compared to the 6 man nijers each patrol had to look after.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tentipi's and the like. (Wood stove, camping content)’ is closed to new replies.