Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Telly: 'This Farming Life' and what a superb series
  • cinnamon_girl

Stunning Scottish scenery with plenty of animals has contributed towards such an interesting series. I’m in awe of these dedicated farmers, many of whom are working in difficult terrain.

I’ve been watching on i-Player, catch it whilst you can and more details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b073h497

MoreCashThanDash

Caught a few episodes, really interesting. Very honest on the finances as well, needing to sell stock at £x to cover the cost of raising it.

Known a few farmers and smallholders over the years. Seeing them, and programmes like this, always makes me feel inspired, jealous and a hefty dose of “why would you?”

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, loved it..
    Every time I saw it I thought Wow! Look at those views you’d get.
    All. The. Time.
    I guess you wouldn’t have much free time to enjoy them, but yeah, what a life!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yerbut..
    No Range Rover Sports, so clearly not real Farming is it 😆

We’ve been watching it, it’s taken the place of CountryPoncyfile.

It’s a simple paired down subtle calming programme.

MoreCashThanDash

Didn’t feel calming when they were trying to bring that huge newborn calf to life!

hooli

Thoroughly enjoyed it too, been watching with the kids.

The scenery is beautiful, such a shame that they have no family who want to take it over when they retire. I am sure there are some farmers around the country that would give anything for that chance.

Mounty_73

I have enjoyed it too, I still have the last 2 episodes to watch.

It made me feel a little jealous of the life style.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, I thought it was very good indeed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mounty_73 – Member
    It made me feel a little jealous of the life style.

It’s a chuffing hard, low paid, difficult on many levels, day in/day out grind of a living.

I know, we’ve 2 cattle farms in the family run by the BIL. It’s not a lifestyle by any stretch of the imagination but damn hard work, year in/year out.

Unless you grow stuff obvs, then you can lease that Range Rover Sport and 4 others for your family to ponce around in 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Aye the disconnect between the arable boys and the animal boys is large at the moment.

lunge

If you like this stuff have a follow of herdyshepherd1 on Twitter, he’s a highland sheep farmer in the Lake District and his feed is awesome. In fact, his book, A Shepherds Life, is bloody good too.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

What bikebouy said; it’s chuffin hard work….year round…in all weather conditions…dealing with every single issue and problem on your own. I’ve been close (as in involved) to my Uncle’s farm since I was young. He was taken ill suddenly last year and luckily for the farm, my parents (both retired) were able to step up and re-learn their farming roots very quickly. I helped when are where I could. It’s not a ‘lifestyle’ I would choose but I can see why someone would. Be under no illusions that it’s plain sailing though! My Uncle has thankfully made a full recovery, by the way.

slowoldman

Yes, let’s have more “real TV” (as opposed to “reality TV” which is anything but).

Oh and slow stuff like James May or knife making or chair making or the sleigh ride programme that was on at Christmas.

Could just be a sign of my age though.

bigjim

It’s a great series. I grew up in the country and worked on farms in the summer, but don’t know if I could do it for a living, certainly wouldn’t be much time for mountain biking, or money for fancy carbon bikes.

The Spanish vet is a character, like a caricature made real.

Bunnyhop

Still really enjoying this series.
    I’ve recorded all the programmes and am slowly catching up.

We used to live opposite a farm when I was growing up. The farmer and his elderly mother seemed to be constantly working.

Trekster

Born into a family of farm workers. My parents met whilst working on a dairy farm. My grandfather and uncle also worked on farms,my uncle as a shepherd. I started working on the farm my grandfather & uncle worked on from age 10, tall enough to drive tractors(Fergie 35 and Ford Dexter) Learned how to train sheepdogs from my uncle. This was in the ’60s & 70s long before the huge mechanisation, massive sheds and contracting we see today. That farm(the buildings)is now a rescue dog centre. One of the other farms I used to “play” on now a WWT centre. My dads old workplace has also been sold off and the fields let out to other farmers as have most of the small farms in the area 😕 Given the current and past years weather a number of other small farmers in the area are giving up no longer able to make ends meet.
    MrsT used to work for the Scottish rural affairs dept and daughters partner is currently struggling with the English system in Cumbria, feel sorry for farmers in the Lakes 😥 There may be some big earners but I’m sure those of who frequent natural hill trails know there are some desolate areas where you do wonder why farmers continue? I know having been brought up in that industry.
    My dad died just before Xmas. I spent a fair bit of time with him last year, taking him on “Sunday” runs around some of his old haunts and he was disgusted at the state of the countryside and how it is being allowed to degenerate(return to being “natural”) driven by EU regulation. He just couldn’t get his head around fields being allowed to turn into bogs, areas being fenced off, lack of drainage and weeds everywhere. It’s amazing what an 85yr old can remember given their failing physical health!
    MrsTs family were also farmers btw

cinnamon_girl

Pleased to hear that others have been enjoying it too. Having experienced Scottish weather where you can have all four seasons in one day it takes a well ‘ard disposition to work in that day in day out.

Meanwhile is disappointed that welshfarmer from this parish hasn’t made an appearance. In fact wouldn’t it be fun if he could write a weekly column on this Forum? FarmingTrackWorld. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m99DGLPGJA[/video]

welshfarmer

Hi Cinnamon_girl. Thank you for the mention, unfortunately I missed this thread due to being right in the middle of lambing 3 weeks back.

A weekly column. Now there is an idea. 🙂 If only I were more organised. Maybe I can give it a go and see what the response is. Just need to remember to carry my camera or phone around with me and get some pics.

OK watch this space.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes please, if weekly is too much perhaps every 2 ?

OP I missed this first time too, sadly 1-3 aren’t available but have down loaded the rest

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Telly: 'This Farming Life' and what a superb series’ is closed to new replies.