Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Telling cafe how to make espresso….
  • bob_summers

Apart from China, where it’s bordering on impossible to find good coffee

Difficult in Spain too, outside of the big cities.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Apart from China, where it’s bordering on impossible to find good coffee!

What you mean?

MrSmith
    Free Member

‘ve only had one truly dreadful espresso recently. It was in a cycling related café on That London’s Old Street.

And to think you were only minutes away from Dose, TImberyard and Workshop. (Some of the best coffee in the area) they don’t show the tour on a big screen or sell inner tubes though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I the only person on here who doesn’t like coffee , I can’t stand the smell of it , the taste of it or anything flavoured by it and yet people I cycle with choose which cafe to stop at based on the standard of the coffee over the standard of the food .

Do you like beer? Cos I feel the same way about alcohol as you do about coffee.

teasel
    Free Member

Cos I feel the same way about alcohol as you do about coffee.

What, all alcohol? Even things like fragrant liqueurs and the like…?

But seriously, I’d change your riding buddies, Neil. Decent coffee in favour of decent food is barmy.

budgierider67

The only decent flat white I’ve found that resembles those down under is at Boston Tea Party.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im fed up getting a flat white instead of a cappuchino ……

i did take one back recently because the milk in my cappuchino was burnt – tasted bloody awful.

Its much easier in the uk to get palatable ground coffee in shops without having to attend your artisnal grinder as you do in oz (currently in oz)

Best cappuchino ive had was in san francisco at the blue bottle coffee shop – worth the queue – and when there were 3-4 other coffee shops near by with no queue i guess that tells.

WildHunter2009

What is the difference between a flat white and a latte anyway? I always assumed the flat was just the australian version of a latte but now I seem them both on the menu. Have asked a few barristas and have had a multitude of conflicting answers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.baristaguide.com/insights/coffee-terminology-guide-by-jason-haeger/

thats pretty close to how i interpret coffees.

Mean while over in big bear trying to explain what an americano was was a bit of a mare ….. i guess long black is the correct term. i asked for a black coffee innitially and he went for the filter jug…. so i settled on an assemble yer own like mike posted – asking for an espresso and some boiling water….. it wasnt like they didnt do coffee – they seemed right proud of their coffee just the concept of topping up espresso with hotwater seemed alien and i should just be drinking their filter char.

nickc

What is the difference between a flat white and a latte anyway?

nothing really

mogrim

Difficult in Spain too, outside of the big cities.

Outside the big cities the problem is they use cheap torrefacto coffee. But at least we don’t have to put up with “baristas” and a thousand ways to serve you overpriced watery crap like you get in the UK.

Café con hielo FTW, no sugar.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Drink tea and stop being a coffee snob?

‘Ahem, this tea is like weak, slightly bitter dishwater’

‘Drink coffee stop being a tea snob…’?

The extent of my hot beverage complaining to date was to request an extea spoon of instant coffee in a styrofoam cup of the weakest instant coffee I ever tasted. Greasy spoon café last month. Shame, as their B.E.S.T sarnie was stellar. You sort of expect the crappiest coffee in greasy spoons but there needs to be at least some caffeine in it!?

Rorschach
    Free Member

RichPenny
    Free Member

For me is the ratio of espresso to milk, should be higher in a flat white. That’s why it should be served in a smaller cup.

crazy-legs

nothing really

A FW is one size only (or it should be). 5oz and it’s a double espresso with microfoamed milk. That makes it stronger than a latte which, at that size, is a single shot topped with steamed milk and a small amount of foam.

Better texture too but more difficult to make. Took me about 3 pints of milk before I could consistently get the texture right.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Who actually drinks single shots though? Quad FTW 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

see there in defines coffee snobs and those with an addiction 😀

crazy-legs

Hielo? That’s ice isn’t it? Coffee with ice?
    You’re right, Spanish coffee can be pretty dire but it’s also very cheap, a euro or so for a cup.

Cafe con leche por favor. Simple and effective.

crikey
    Free Member

The surprising thing about this thread is that people seem to be totally oblivious as to how *foolish they appear; it’s a cup of coffee FFS.

Middle class whiney cockbags indeed.

(*I tried a number of words at this point in the sentence, none of which passed the swear filter.)

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Nope crikey – inverse snob fail.

It is a totally different drink if done wrong.
    And I’d suspect that working class people in Italy or Spain would walk away from a 1 euro espresso with no crema.

nickc

A FW is one size only (or it should be). 5oz and it’s a double espresso with microfoamed milk. That makes it stronger than a latte which, at that size, is a single shot topped with steamed milk and a small amount of foam.

like I said, nothing really, it’s coffee with steamed milk in it 😆

crikey
    Free Member

And I’d suspect that working class people in Italy or Spain would walk away from a 1 euro espresso with no crema.

‘And we found this delightful little coffee shop where the working class people went for their espresso, Carlos became quite used to us popping in every morning. Which was nice….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You’re right, Spanish coffee can be pretty dire but it’s also very cheap, a euro or so for a cup.

Stop prigging around! Cafe solo ftw,

What happens if I just want a coffee?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Get a Cortado in spain, Noisette in France. Best all purpose coffee. Glad to see Cortados in the UK more now.

crikey 😆 but no reason why everyone should’t have decent coffee when they buy it in a cafe? Surely??

crikey
    Free Member

No reason at all, but for goodness sake take a look at yourselves arguing about the minutest details like it actually matters!
    I am thankfully able to drink any kind of coffee without ‘walking away’ from it should it not turn out to be a caffeinated masterpiece.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

If you go to a pub and you ask for a Beer, do you not care if it is lager, bitter or guiness? If it is cold or warm? Or if it is actually Cider?

antennae
    Free Member

crikey, some people enjoy coffee like you presumably enjoy bikes.

“I am thankfully able to ride any kind of bike without ‘walking away’ from it should it not turn out to be enjoyable to ride.”

*climbs aboard supermarket special full sus monstrosity*

fruitbat

Just to lower the tone a bit, I drink quite a bit of this stuff:

crazy-legs

Get a Cortado in spain, Noisette in France. Best all purpose coffee. Glad to see Cortados in the UK more now.

I had a noisette in France last week, it was very good.
    Then I poured it all over my scoop of vanilla ice cream to make an affrogato.

Honestly, after a long hot bike ride, an affrogato gives a one hit wonder of caffeine, fat and sugar that makes you rocket powered for about the next 20 minutes. Then you crash and burn again.

slowoldman

I don’t understand much of the vocabulary in this thread so can’t join in.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I stopped at a McDonalds while driving up the road the other night didn’t get any food (or what they call food) but did order a coffee. £1.20 for an Americano that was better than the Starbucks I had at the airport earlier on and half the price. Worth remembering if a caffeine hit is required while on the road.

hammyuk
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member

You’re BOTH wrong!

Cortado Condensada.
    Ya esta :mrgreen:

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If you go to a pub and you ask for a Beer, do you not care if it is lager, bitter or guiness? If it is cold or warm? Or if it is actually Cider?

Only thing worse than coffee snobs are beer and/or bike snobs.

Where can you go these days and simply order ‘beer’? Or ‘bike’?

‘Stout’? wtf?
    ‘Hopped’? If I wanted a rabbit I’d have asked for a bleedin rabbit!!!
    ‘Lager?’ ok this is getting ridiculous, BEER IS BEER!
    ‘India Pale Ale’??? Poncense in a glass? Foreign rubbish no doubt.
    ‘Porter’???? GTFO

Can you hear yourselves?

Don’t get me started on bikes. All you need is:

jeb

Ask for an enduro

molgrips
    Free Member

Cos I feel the same way about alcohol as you do about coffee.
    What, all alcohol? Even things like fragrant liqueurs and the like…?

Yes. You know that rancid whiff you get when orange juice has gone a bit off? All alcohol smells like that to me. And it either hurts to drink or tastes vile like it smells.

MoreCashThanDash

I stopped at a McDonalds ……… £1.20 for an Americano that was better than the Starbucks I had at the airport earlier on and half the price.

There’s your problem, right there.

McDonalds coffee is great value for money when you want your caffeine quick and hot.

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Telling cafe how to make espresso….’ is closed to new replies.