• This topic has 33 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by oink1.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Tell me about trapped nerves and how to stop them turning you mental
  • Northwind

Pretty sure I have one, and it sucks balls. Started with a very stiff neck with no obvious cause, then intense pain deep in the shoulder with much the same quality and feel as a broken bone- same unignorable, nauseating wrongness. Bit of weakness in the hand, lots of pins and needles right up and down the arm, can make it stop if I find the right position but then it comes right back, sitting makes it worse… No neck pain, all in the shoulder. Prescription painkillers, masssage, stretching, etc do **** all. Preexisting back problems. Oh I promise I wrote that before googling it but now I have and I might as well have copy and pasted from Web MD

Going to go to the docs, in the meantime, anything to do? I’d independently figured out that it’s more comfortable if i put the arm on my head, and then just read about the Bakody sign position so I guess I’ll be spending quite a lot of time looking like an absolute fanny. Heat packs when I can… Anything else?

Cougar

How long have you had it?

aa
    Free Member

Can’t offer any useful information but will watch thread with interest. Am currently on naproxen to reduce inflammation and subsequent nerve issues in my dominant elbow. A carry over from broken olecranon (and two subsequent operations). I find careful positioning with support, but no pressure helps.

Hope you find a solution!!

myopic
    Free Member

I feel your pain Northwind. I have same in hip and leg after acute back injury. I find keeping moving helps: running and cycling are no problem all day, but after 1 day sitting in the office it’s back,and by end of a week in office it’s worse. Has definitely lessened over last 6 weeks ( happened at Easter) so hoping it continues to abate.
    Either that or I’ll give up my job and ride all day everyday 😕

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yep, sucks balls big time.

Did mine spinning the kids on a roundabout at Crieff Hydro 4 years ago.

Physiotherapy gradually made it better but it still hurts most days. Heat and ibuprofen can ease it. Sometimes.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

when you say massage, is this something you are doing/partner is doing or professional massage?

My first port of call would be a massage, see how that goes, might be a trapped muscle?

I was told going to the gym would help and I’ve had far less issues with my neck/shoulder issues since i’ve been working out. This of course needs to be done once the issue has gone away.

zippykona

Had a trapped nerve in my shoulder. Went to see a man and he put his finger on my shoulder and said ” it hurts right there” he was millimetre perfect.
    Couple of weeks of massage and some exercises and I was right as rain.

myopic
    Free Member

Perchy – I did my back lifting dog into the car because she had a knee problem and didn’t want her to exacerbate it. These things always happen when you least expect it!

scaredypants

Had pretty much exactly the same thing a couple of months ago, including the arm above shoulder

Went in about a fortnight and hasn’t come back

I did it by doing something stupid, can’t even remember what but akin to pulling on a pair of trousers while lying on your side without lifting your head off the pillow. Twinged a tiny bit at the time and then pain about 2 days after that

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

How long have you had it?

It’s been developing and worsening for a few weeks but it’s only been the complete bag of symptoms for I think 6 days, and only really worsened to the point that it’s messing me up yesterday. Today I’m not sure if it’s worse or if I’ve just run out of manliness.

Whathaveisaidnow – Member

when you say massage, is this something you are doing/partner is doing or professional massage?

Actually, glad you asked, it made me think again- I’m wrong to rule it out. I went to a sports physio I trust totally based on past miracles. But in this case I had pain and stiffness but it hadn’t quite developed to where it is now so he was trying to treat something that was presenting very differently. Consider massage comment deleted, and thanks!

conkers
    Free Member

I had trapped nerve in the Brachial Plexus the web of nerves in the shoulder and it sounds the same as what you’re experiencing. My GP tried to find the trigger point but didn’t find it and just ended up giving me Tamazipan which didn’t do any thing either. What worked in the end but not straight away was a yoga stretch from a Ryan Leach video which he called childs pose. Kneel on the floor sitting on your heels and lower your head to the floor resting on your elbows and let your spine relax. Then walk your fingers forward stretching your arms out as far as they can go.
    The delightful Abi Carver does similar but calls it puppy poseher version of childs pose looks like a good start though. Obviously if it hurts to much stop

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

A trip to an osteopath or chiropractor might help

kimbers

stretches, its all about stretching ime

seosamh77
    Free Member

dumbbells worked for me for a bit as did a few yoga type stretches, but ultimately my biggest solution was actually posture sitting at my desk at work. Recently moved office I had a curved desk before which ment I was always slouched to one side, Last few months before I moved were terrible, I think my sitting position was just compounding the problem. Now at a straight desk with a chair that pretty much forces me to sit up straight on. My trapped nerve issue went away overnight. I think some weight loss and getting bit fitter also helped mind.

For pure pain relief, pain killers are useless.

Weed is very good for it btw, talking pure pain relief. (not advocating drug use, just state some personal experience.) But that’s just a mask and not a solution, it’s also very good for cubital tunnel syndrome, but again, just a mask, finding the right exercises is a better solution for that and getting to the source of the problem is better.

I think the ultimate problem is that it is actually just a trapped nerve, you need to find the nerve and exercise it, that’s the difficult bit, no usually where the pain is.

Northwind

conkers – Member

The delightful Abi Carver does similar but calls it puppy pose

Well if nothing else comes of it, at least I can fap to this

poly
    Free Member

Northwind – IIRC your are Type 1? Mrs P is also. She has suffered from similar symptoms for months which Physio briefly alleviates but hasn’t cured. Sports massage helped but only for a short time. Affecting sleep so doc prescribed medication for “neuropathic pain” which is a apparently more common in diabetics. Certainly hasn’t cured it but does seem to break the cycle.

Northwind

You are correct poly and yep I understand us defective humans are more susceptible to nerve sheath damage and the like. Hmmmm. Possibly valuable thought that, even though I’ll find it harder to fap to.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

McKenzie technique exercises can be helpful.

Massage, stretch, strengthen should also help. A decent physio should be able to put you in the right direction.

scaredypants

Well if nothing else comes of it, at least I can fap to this

Ah, I think we may have unearthed another risk factor

Step away from the Jane Fonda workout tape

codybrennan
    Free Member

As Mary says, the McKenzie routines might be what you need- I had EXACTLY your symptoms and they worked for me.

Under the care of a physio initially to make sure they weren’t going to make things worse, and then I was off and running. I noticed a big reduction in pain in about 3 days of doing the exercises hourly or so for a minute each time.

Cougar

A trip to an osteopath or chiropractor might help

You’d be better off seeing a medical professional.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

You’d be better off seeing a medical professional

My mum was referred to an osteopath by her GP

grey

My occupational health friend says sports massage and acupuncture?.

jwh
    Free Member

I had al out the same symptoms.
    Went to see a chiropractor who after a few seasons gave me gentle traction on my neck.
    2 days later I stretched and my disk in my neck decided to escape and fired right into my nerves. 10 days later I had a new disk in my neck.

Just take it easy and go get it sorted.

I tried the mtfu route, but ended up with a free ambulance ride and a lot of gas and air

twinw4ll
    Free Member

If it doesn’t cause too much pain YTWL exercises and hanging from a bar, take it easy to start with.
    These exercises should be done by everyone, the antidote to hunched over a desk all day.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Find a physio. Not a chiropractor or anything else. A physio .

Get a diagnosis. Then if it’s muscular get some tools (trigger point tools from Amazon like a ball and theracane) and get to work 🙂

Me leg was 2 cm shorter and that coupled with office work caused serious issues with posture and BAD lower back and shoulders pain. The offending muscle causing the leg length issues and subsequent shoulder issues? The inner thigh and outer thigh! Sorting those muscles out and
    let my legs are the same length. As cyclists you probably too have shortened muscles. Physio for diagnosis then if muscular read up on myofascial release and get to work. Life changing stuff. I did a lot of pilates for posture, but only when o solved the leg issues am I nearing a normal functioning body.

If you’re in Newcastle I know a very good physio .

Northwind

Gabapentin is ****ing awesome. I am a cloud.

oink1
    Free Member

orthwind – Member
    Gabapentin is ****ing awesome. I am a cloud.

It is good. Had this when my big toe was amputated. You have no idea how irritating it is when a body part that is no longer there is itching and you can’t scratch it! 😯

shermer75
    Free Member

If it’s painful enough for you to be taking gabapentin then it is definitely painful enough to warrant a trip to the physio.

Try not to get too hung up on it being a ‘trapped nerve’, it could be that but it could also be something else. Self diagnosis using the internet will almost always lead you down an inhelpful path!

The key thing is that you want to work with your physio to put a plan in place that will allow you to be pain free without having to use gabapentin 😉

Northwind

hermer75 – Member

Try not to get too hung up on it being a ‘trapped nerve’, it could be that but it could also be something else. Self diagnosis using the internet will almost always lead you down an inhelpful path!

GP was pretty sure tbh. It could be something similar but it’s definitely nerves and has the same symptoms so I think we’re just saying it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

It’s actually much improved but I think what’s happening now is that the pain management, and actual pain reduction, is possibly letting me aggravate the nerve more as I’ve got a bit more loss of sensation. But I can type with the left hand again without feeling like I’m going to throw up so that’s good. Can’t ride a bike but can spanner again so that helps the general wellbeing (I go mad in pretty short order if I can’t do something physical like that)

oink1 – Member

You have no idea how irritating it is when a body part that is no longer there is itching and you can’t scratch it!

You are Leon from Bladerunner and I claim my £5

oink1
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

oink1 – Member
    You have no idea how irritating it is when a body part that is no longer there is itching and you can’t scratch it!

You are Leon from Bladerunner and I claim my £5

😆

oink1
    Free Member

Northwind – you can see my problem with that particular pinky itching!! When they tell you as a T1 to be extra careful with your feet – Listen!! This started as a knick on my toe 😯[url=https://flic.kr/p/VpDNEQ]IMG_0011[/url] by Paul Tarrant, on Flickr

Northwind

Well that’s certainly improved my appetite for the meal I’m going to eat in 2 minutes.

oink1
    Free Member

Sorry!!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about trapped nerves and how to stop them turning you mental’ is closed to new replies.