Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Tell me about sMArT MeteRS
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

so I wouldn’t gain anything,

Not strictly true.

Ours has a red light on it that comes on when the power draw is hitting a spike. This affords you the opportunity to yell at your teenage son to “Get out of that bloody shower…..the red light’s on!”

It’s the modern version of “Are you going to be all day in the shower….That meter’s spinning like a bloody helicopter”

wzzzz
    Free Member

They put a gas one in my porch on the floor.

It sticks out further than the old one.

I keep kicking the front of it with the pram.

They won’t do anything about it.

I changed supplier and they don’t even use the smart function.

Don’t get one, waste of time waiting in for the man.

matt_outandabout

I would rather they fit me a solar panel or 6.

matt_outandabout

It’s the modern version of “Are you going to be all day in the shower….That meter’s spinning like a bloody helicopter”

Can we not go back to my student days of having to plug 50p’s in the meter? A great way of keeping folk tracking their energy use.

ross980
    Free Member

I had smart meters fitted. The electric meter worked fine. The gas never worked and caused no end of problems when I tried to submit a reading when changing suppliers (the meter effectively reset to zero when you get a new one, but the system never updated because it never transmitted).
    Now I’m stuck with 2 fancy looking meters that are difficult to read compared to traditional meters (the smart functionality isn’t transferable. What a farce)
    I wouldn’t bother unless the industry has got its shit together. They’re the future. But maybe not right now.

Coyote
    Free Member

As soon as there is a tangible benefit to me, sure. Until then, no thanks.

sirromj

How do smart meters get the data to the supplier?

Cougar

is there any reason not to get one installed?

Not any more, no.

Same way mobile phones work.

As soon as there is a tangible benefit to me, sure. Until then, no thanks.

Do you enjoy submitting meter readings?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What’s the script then cougar? Do you have a smart meter that is usable by all suppliers, or do you stick to one supplier?.

phil5556

I had (a second one) fitted a few weeks ago, it means I can get to work and back for £1.10 instead of £3.30 so a definite benefit.

The gas doesn’t work as it’s too far away from the electric meter which acts as a master, but it’s 50% fewer readings I have to submit and they say they’re working on some kind of repeater/booster.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Same way mobile phones work.

Excel spreadsheet.

Cougar

What’s the script then cougar?

Script? I’ve no idea what you’re asking here, sorry.

Do you have a smart meter that is usable by all suppliers, or do you stick to one supplier?.

The former.

First-gen SMETS1 meters were crap and locked to a provider unless they are capable of a retrospective firmware upgrade. Worst-case scenario, you change supplier and you’re back to regular dumb meters again.

Current-gen SMETS2 meters are a standard and provider-agnostic. They will work with any supplier.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above, all the people with issues have experienced smets1. if you get one fitted now it will be smets2 and will work when you change from supplier to supplier. I’ve hung on until smets2 only is being installed, but I’m only doing it for substantial financial benefits same as phil5556 otherwise I probably wouldn’t have bothered.

jamesco

Our supplier pestered us to get ‘smart’ meters, my wife said good idea so daughter was detailed to stay in for the fitter……..puts gas and electric meters in situ then finds that they are not transmitting. Don’t worry it’ll probably go live in a couple of days, no it didn’t. Covid kicks in and I take readings monthly just as I always have done ‘cos I’m on it like a rat on cheese through being self employed in the past and having to watch the pennies. Up to now it’s been a waste of my time and someone else’s money, no sign of my supplier trying to get them ‘smart’ in the near future.
    Smets 2 by the way.

scaredypants

I had (a second one) fitted a few weeks ago, it means I can get to work and back for £1.10 instead of £3.30 so a definite benefit

It actually finds you cheaper energy … or what ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It actually finds you cheaper energy … or what ?

No it reads you meter every half hour and sends that info to your supplier, your supplier gives you half hourly prices about 24hrs beforehand (very cheap during the night, expensive 4 – 7pm, up and down the rest of the time). It’s up to you then how you use it. You can buy things that know those prices and can make things switch on and off based on those prices.
    This is an example of ppkwh prices during the night

DezB
    Free Member

I can get to work and back for £1.10 instead of £3.30 so a definite benefit.

Can’t see a meter saving me any wear on my bike tyres.

tetrode
    Free Member

As someone with a lot of experience in the energy industry, as well as some time in customer service I can guarantee you the same people who think smart meters are a con are the exact same people who call up to complain that their estimated bill is too high.

pictonroad

Just had smart meters fitted for free* by Octopus within a month of joining. Installer was very polite clean and helpful. Means I can go onto a smart tariff with variable rates, cheaper electricity for me and a better balance network for all.

Very confused by the hatred for an innocuous device. Even though our gas and electricity incoming kit is from the 70s had no problem fitting the smart kit alongside it.

Thumbs up to Octopus energy.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

We keep getting the emails and letters about changing to smart meters. We’re not keen to change yet. It’s an initiative to benefit the energy company not the consumer in the long-term. The tech is still not working properly as demonstrated by first generation units being replaced already and even the new units don’t always work when you change supplier. Once the kit is sorted and works for the long term (decades, not a few years) then we’ll change over. Until then it’s business as usual for us with the meter readings.

I know someone who fits smart meters and although he keeps telling me to get one, he also tells me stories about all the broken, outdated, badly fitted meters that he is replacing. Including being told by him boss to fit the older style meter while they wait for the new ones because the company is booking the appointments without the stock level to match.

tjagain

Refused here as well. Given my meters work and previous cockups no way am I giving them the chance to cockup again

Cougar

puts gas and electric meters in situ then finds that they are not transmitting. Don’t worry it’ll probably go live in a couple of days, no it didn’t.

I had this with my gas meter. They replaced the meter a few days later, it’s been fine since.

Very confused by the hatred for an innocuous device.

5G causes covid (that doesn’t exist anyway) remember.

Cougar

The tech is still not working properly as demonstrated by first generation units being replaced already

Being replaced by… ?

Once the kit is sorted and works for the long term (decades, not a few years) then we’ll change over.

What do you think is going to happen if it doesn’t “work”? It’s a meter. Worst case scenario, the smart bit of it fails and it turns into a regular meter exactly like you have now. It’s not going to suddenly cut off your electricity or stop metering, you have nothing to lose other than the inconvenience of being home for an hour while they fit it.

If they had a 12 month lifespan and then had to be swapped, I’d take that as preferable to me rummaging around in a cupboard on my hands and knees with a torch between my teeth going “… is that a 6 or an 8?” every couple of months.

keithb

Joy of joys my new “smart” meters are in, up and running, and have been for a couple of months.  So I had to raise a complaint with my supplier as they have given me no indication of whether they can read the meters remotely, or if they are working from their end. Particularly relevant given the gas meter took a couple of weeks to go live, I wanted to make sure all was OK at their end, and if I could stop taking readings.

It turns out that they can “Access the meters” remotely, they do not have the capability to take readings and use them to produce bills!  So I still have to submit monthly meter readings…   At least I can now read the meters from the display unit in the hall, and not have to scrabble around under the stairs (electric)/on a ladder outside (gas).

So it’s a smart meter that has a dumb-supplier on the other end…  To be honest I quite like the compromise!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Are you North of Sheffield or South?

captain_bastard
    Free Member

There’s been a number of reports on electricians forums where customers on smart meters are getting their bills increase massively, very difficult to dispute with an energy supplier. I had one recently, installed a check meter for the customer so they could prove the smart meter was waaay out

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about sMArT MeteRS’ is closed to new replies.