Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Tell me about sMArT MeteRS
  • DezB
    Free Member

My nRG supplier (Pure Planet) is gonna send someone to fit me a Smart Meter to presumeably replace my stupid one, well that thing that sits on the wall under the boiler where I set the time the water gets hot, and in winter, of course when the central heating fires up. I’ve got a airnig cupboard you know.

So, what benefit, if any will I get from getting the company named after a delicious ice cream lolly to fit a smart thing in my home?

johnners
    Free Member

Is your meter really under your boiler? That’s an unusual place to put one. If your setting your boiler timings on something it’s not your meter.

Smart meters are a con, at least for consumers. They’ll let the energy companies get rid of staff who read meters, the savings from which they’ll not be passing on to you. And they’ll pave the way for demand pricing on energy, which will hit families and the less well off hardest.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Without demand pricing and other stuff like smart consumers, we need to invest heavily to increase generation and distribution capacity. The cost of which would fall to? Oh yes.

johnners
    Free Member

we need to invest heavily to increase generation and distribution capacity

No, we need to reduce demand.

oldtennisshoes

True, but smart meters can help by making it more transparent around the costs of energy use.

Which is part of demand pricing

bear-uk
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to have an energy company now that doesn’t fit smart meters so I never get pestered.

Cougar

You’ll no longer have to submit meter readings.

You get a little screen showing your usage.

People will tell you they allow aliens to read your brain or something.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had one for a bit until we changed supplier.

I didn’t find it smart enough to be useful.
    Consumption trickles along until you switch the oven or microwave on, then it goes through the roof, but none of this really helps you reduce energy levels.

I think some fancier ones will categorise energy levels by appliance etc which may well be a more useful way of doing things

Cougar

I’m lucky enough to have an energy company now that doesn’t fit smart meters so I never get pestered.

How’s that work when I thought the government has mandated that they have to?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

People will tell you they allow aliens to read your brain or something.

Well remotely has got to be preferable to the old fashioned anal probe method surely?

johnners
    Free Member

smart meters can help by making it more transparent around the costs of energy use

There are ways of doing that much more cheaply.

Well remotely has got to be preferable to the old fashioned anal probe method surely?

I’m a traditionalist…

DezB
    Free Member

You get a little screen showing your usag

Is your meter really under your boiler? That’s an unusual place to put one. If your setting your boiler timings on something it’s not your meter.

Ah, there we are – so I was confusing this with a Nest type thing wasn’t I! Glad I posted now. I knew it was me that was stupid, not my meter.
    Yeah, so I wouldn’t gain anything, except no need to step out of the front door to read and provide those meter readings.
    Thanks STW.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m a traditionalist…

It’s the walk that gives it away.

irc

johnners

we need to invest heavily to increase generation and distribution capacity

How does reducing demand work with electrifying home heating and cars?

tthew

How’s that work when I thought the government has mandated that they have to?

IIRC, small suppliers with under a few tens of thousands of customers are exempt. If new start-up’s had to immediately start to supply smart meters, it would be a deterrent to them entering the market is the reason

There are a number of regional huge projects starting to develop large scale hydrogen generation and distribution for heating and standby electricity generation. Electricity demand won’t reduce, but in a couple of decades time the use of natural gas as a direct fuel source should have reduced to zero, then when Green Hydrogen comes on stream a little later it won’t be used at all.

Greybeard
    Free Member

We just had one fitted. I found a deal that was £100/year cheaper than anywhere else, but conditional on having a smart meter. The only other benefit, since we have solar panels, is that it’s easy to check whether we are producing ‘spare’ electricity. The downside is the installer removed the equipotential bonding from the old meter, didn’t fit any to the new meter and just left a card, hidden in the rest of the documents, saying it needed fixing. Which I’m taking up with them.

Cougar

Much more cheaply than “free”? Have I misunderstood something here?

IIRC, small suppliers with under a few tens of thousands of customers are exempt. If new start-up’s had to immediately start to supply smart meters, it would be a deterrent to them entering the market is the reason

Aaah, I did not know that. Thank you.

hopkinsgm

Just because you’re not being charged directly to upgrade to a new smart meter doesn’t make it free. We’ve all been paying levies on our bills for years that have been paying towards the roll out programme – including the phenomenal amount of wastage arising from SMETS1 meters – whether you’ve had one installed or not. Consider it a benefit you’ve probably already paid for, but not yet received.

johnners
    Free Member

Not unless you genuinely believe a meter supplied as part of a £13.4Bn rollout programme can be classed as “free”.

FuzzyWuzzy

I didn’t think you could self-fit smart meters?

phiiiiil

including the phenomenal amount of wastage arising from SMETS1 meters

This incredible inefficiency shouldn’t be a black mark against smart meters but against incompetent governance.

We’ve had a smart meter for ages. In conjunction with smart tariffs from Octopus it’s saved us a lot of money by being able to make use of electricity at very cheap periods. At the last bank holiday we were paid to use electricity on the Sunday morning, which was nice.

After the curiosity wore off we’ve never used the in-home display, I don’t think that’s the important bit.

Cougar

We’ve all been paying levies on our bills for years that have been paying towards the roll out programme

Ah, fair enough.

the phenomenal amount of wastage arising from SMETS1 meters

Yeah, that was particularly stupid. I held off getting mine until the supplier could guarantee SMETS2. I’m with Pure Planet like the OP now and it’s the only type they install.

Cougar

I didn’t think you could self-fit smart meters?

You can’t. In my case it was two new fully replaced complete meters. (Actually three because the first gas meter didn’t work.)

Kahurangi

I thought I’d allow my supplier to fit them so that I could stop manually taking readings every month or two (we’ve had someone visit to take readings… once or never).

Instead the installer cocked up the paperwork so the gas meter never got swapped properly so I’ve been on estimated readings since September.

Also, the display unit won’t talk to the smart bit of the meter, apparently its a well known issue and is waiting for a software fix.

So nah. Bollox to that.

oldtennisshoes

Smart meters are a con, at least for consumers. They’ll let the energy companies get rid of staff who read meters, the savings from which they’ll not be passing on to you. And they’ll pave the way for demand pricing on energy, which will hit families and the less well off hardest.

Ooof that’s pretty harsh even by STW standards.

Richie_B

Currently being hassled to get one fitted. Someone came round to fit one two years ago. We told him to check the mobile coverage before he did so but he didn’t. He finished fitting it found out it didn’t work because there was no mobile coverage and had to refit the old one. There has been no improvement to the coverage in the last two years (its a topography issue rather than remoteness) but you can’t actually talk to ask them to stop sending the emails and texts.

DezB
    Free Member

They’ll let the energy companies get rid of staff who read meters

There can’t be many of those left anyway.

irc

There are a number of regional huge projects starting to develop large scale hydrogen generation and distribution for heating and standby electricity generation.

Not sure hydrogen is the answer. Using natural gas to make it? Why not just burn the gas in houses and power stations as we do do without another process in the middle.

Using elecricity? Looks like another expensive way to get a gas inferior to natural gas for heating and energy generation.

The Hydrogen Economy – More Green Mythology

mattyfez

They are of no use to me really, stuff is turned off when I’m not using it.

My fridge-freezer is always turned on and my router is always on, but there’s not much I can do about that.

I use the PC a lot, but that also has a lot of modern features too, so when I’m not going something intensive, the graphics card basically switches off and the CPU down clocks to less than 1ghz from 4.8ghz.

simon_g

It’s not about total electricity use but managing demand. Make electricity cheaper at low demand times and people set their cars to charge at 2am rather than 6pm when they get home.

Been very happy with Octopus Agile so far, it tracks wholesale prices with an extra price bump 4-7pm. The only thing we changed was to set delay on washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher if it’s ready to go in that time. If we need to cook then we do but usually with kids it’s mostly done by 4. Outside that peak period it’s very cheap – our average price paid per kWh has been just over 6p.

squirrelking
    Free Member

SMETS1 have been firmware upgradable for a while have they not?

I was supposed to get one fitted before lockdown, couldn’t get into my neighbours house to get at the mains fuse (half a job by Scottish Power years ago) so now I’m back to square one.

I’m not in a hurry but I don’t get the hatred, surely accurate billing (where it works) is far better than over charging for months or years at a time?

Not sure hydrogen is the answer. Using natural gas to make it?

Other methods are available. Electrolysis f’rinstance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe, I don’t think anyone is doing it yet.

Even smets2 meters will lose smart functionality when switching to most other suppliers for now (and I expect a few more years).

The smets1 fiasco should have heads rolling, I have so many clients trapped with a supplier and in fuel poverty because of them. The supplier is always happy tho…

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

For sure. After the reductions come the price rises and “incentives” as they will be framed, which will be punishments for some and higher costs, per unit, for all.

Bet they’re chomping at the bit! The plebs were offered a chance at some say in this and rejected it in favour of the benevolent private sector deciding everything with minimal government oversight/rubber stamping.

Cougar

Depends entirely on the meter.

I’m not in a hurry but I don’t get the hatred

Some people like to dislike things.

Even smets2 meters will lose smart functionality when switching to most other suppliers for now

How so?

squirrelking
    Free Member

The smets1 fiasco should have heads rolling, I have so many clients trapped with a supplier and in fuel poverty because of them.

Hows that? All they lose is Smart functionality, not total functionality. Someone’s talking pish.

If you have a smart meter, you can shop around and switch supplier as you can with a traditional meter.

If you have a first generation smart meter, when you switch supplier your meter will continue to accurately record gas or electricity consumption as before. However, if the new supplier cannot operate your meter in smart mode, you may need to temporarily take manual meter readings, and energy suppliers must inform you of this risk.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/consumer-guide-understanding-energy-meters-ofgem/smart-meters-guide-your-rights

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They’ll let the energy companies get rid of staff who read meters

I haven’t had my meter read for about 15 years (and i haven’t got a smart meter, yet)

I thought we were trying to reduce demand for fossil fuels?. My understanding is demand for leccy has actually gone down over many years, but more due to efficiencies like led bulbs and energy saving appliances.
    So now coal has all but been removed from electricity generation the next step will be gas. I’d presume one of the key things to replace is very expensive gas peaker plants and replace with something like more hydro from1 Norway (which can be switched on/off quickly) and Elon Musk and his massive battery storage (there’s often loads of over generation from wind and solar which is just dumped. Elon will just buy it cheap at those times and sell it to the grid at peak times but cheaper than spinning up a gas peaker plant). National Grid are confident they can already handle the EV revolution with only some local DNO upgrading. However, shifting to electric heating is the big worry.

I’ve also read recently that in addition to the grid link to Norway, they are now due to lay a link to Denmark. Plus Elon Musk now having his UK energy provider licence

lunge

Bump.
    My supplier is pushing me to get one installed, at the moment I’m ignoring them.
    Tinfoil hats aside, is there any reason not to get one installed? I’ll happily get it done if it’s no negative to me and stops the weekly phone calls.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

is there any reason not to get one installed?

My last but one provider fitted one, I use manage my bills, the last two companies they’ve switched me to can’t use it, so it’s doing bugger all.

5lab

oddly I’ve been with british gas for 6 months, and they haven’t yet asked me to put one in. I tried applying on their website and its broken. not so smart..

DezB
    Free Member

I’m ignoring them

Me too, don’t see the point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about sMArT MeteRS’ is closed to new replies.