Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Television episode perfection.
  • colournoise

All those people mentioning Blackadder Goes Forth’s final episode. I get it but can’t agree as the same little thing niggles me every time.

Just as they’re about to go over the top, Baldrick warns everyone to be careful of the first step as it could trip someone. every time I see it I so want him to then trip on it himself, not get out of the trench, and be the only survivor.

I just hope it’s a totally deliberate misdirection, in which case it’s genius, rather than just a missed opportunity.

richmars

What Somafunk says, Ron goes to Lagavulin.

tenfoot

Better Call Saul. Season 5, ep5 – Kim Wexler imitating Kevin Wachtell – genius

swanny853

Yes Minister has already been done so I’m going with the dual language episode of Coupling. I mean, there’s so many episodes of coupling that use the structure of the episode to layer jokes on jokes, but that one just does a simple concept really well.

Cougar

Kim Wexler imitating Kevin Wachtell

That reminds me,

Orphan Black, I can’t remember the episode exactly but the one kinda midway through the run where

Spoiler:
    all the clones are together at (IIRC) Soccer Mom’s house and are covering for each other by pretending to be different ones.

The show is already an acting tour de force from Tatiana Whatsherface generally but that’s just another level of genius. It’s absolutely amazing.

DezB
    Free Member

I felt like I was the only person in the world that watched 6 foot under,

Maaybe you were. But I really enjoyed the similarly named Six Feet Under.
    Perfection was the one where Claire and Edie lie on the lawn 🙂

PrinceJohn

The recent Watchmen TV series – A God Walks into Abar

& The Haunting of Hill House – Two Storms.

DezB
    Free Member

The End of The F**king World” series 2 ep 4, when they stay at the hotel run by Tim Keys.

hols2
    Free Member

The recent Watchmen TV series – A God Walks into Abar

good call

richmtb

The episode of Startrek TNG where Picard lives a whole life in a few hours. I still think about the themes in that thirty or so years on from first seeing it.

“The Inner Light” a great episode.

TNG had some really great episodes (and some dreadful ones too)

My favourites were “The Measure of a Man”, “Chain of Command” and the final episode “All Good Things”

DS9 had a lot a great stuff but it was one of the first sci-fi shows to follow a big story arc rather than individual episodes but there is one great stand alone episode “Far Beyond the Stars”

Its amazing how prescient it still feels in its depiction of racism despite being 25 years old.

flange
    Free Member

As above, anything from the Wire, they’re all flippin ace.

DezB
    Free Member

On a similar note – there was an episode of The Shield (I think it was early on) where they shot a new member of their team, man that was one of the most tense hours I’ve spent watching telly. Awesome. Most of the Shield was brilliant.

hols2
    Free Member

there was an episode of The Shield (I think it was early on) where they shot a new member of their team, man that was one of the most tense hours I’ve spent watching telly

I’m pretty sure it was in the pilot. I rewatched that with a mate a couple years later and everything we remembered about the first season was actually in the pilot episode. That show started well, but got a bit ridiculous towards the end.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@cougar

Orphan Black,

Thanks for that. I’d heard of the show but never seen it. Watched 3 episodes back to back last night.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Game of Thrones – The red wedding.

Even though I knew exactly what was coming it was still shocking.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it was in the pilot.

Thought it might’ve been! There were definitely a few more really tense episodes.

erictwinge
    Free Member

The Office. season 4 / ep 13 – The Dinner Party.

mrb123
    Free Member

Breaking Bad – Ozymandias
    Sopranos – Long Term Parking
    Partridge – Watership Alan
    Chernobyl – Episode 2

Mark

Mr Robot Season 4 ep 7

407 Proxy Authentication Required.

Currently sitting at a 9.9 on IMDB

whitestone
    Free Member

@Cougar remember that the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth originally aired on 2nd November.

Anyway …

Fawlty Towers, Communication Problems. The one with Mrs Richards: “I wanted a room with a view of the sea.” “Uh, this is the view as far as I can remember, madam.” “Well it’s not good enough”. “Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? …”

darthpunk
    Free Member

Mr Robot’s already been mentioned, but I have to add the episodes:

405 – Method not allowed

Almost no dialogue spoken for the whole episode, but truly didn’t notice till almost the end

and

eps3.4_runtime_err0r.r00

Fourth wall broken in the first couple of minutes and the whole episode looks like one take with no cuts

I miss Mr Robot

Pook

Breaking Bad – ozymandias

The Thick of It – too many to choose

Inside No. 9 – Bernie Clifton’s Dressing Room

kiksy
    Free Member

Baldrick warns everyone to be careful of the first step as it could trip someone

It’s a splinter isn’t it? And he says that could hurt someone.

Cougar

Orphan Black,

Thanks for that. I’d heard of the show but never seen it.

It’s brilliant. Even if you don’t buy into it, it’s worth watching for the lead actress’ skills in kinda the same way that Breaking Bad is worth it for the cinematography.

llama

Bambi

kimbers

Some brilliant calls here

Sopranos: Pine Barrens was pure genius

I hated the musical episode of Buffy at the time but now realise it’s truly amazing

Rick and Morty: Season 3, Episode 7
    The Ricklantis Mixup (tales from the citadel) ,

Cougar

I hated the musical episode of Buffy at the time but now realise it’s truly amazing

When it was announced the entire world went “well, Buffy just jumped the shark.” But it is an outstanding piece of television for two reasons.

1) It works incredibly well for what it is, a musical. You can buy the soundtrack, cons have singalong sessions. Even self-contained, it’s a masterpiece.

2) It’s probably the most pivotal episode in the entirety of the show’s run, so many plot strands affecting so many characters all come to a head in it. The story arc basically hard-lefts, to do that in a ‘novelty’ episode rather than having OMWF just being an amusing throwaway episode must have taken some testicular fortitude. Arguably it works because of the yin-yang of the seriousness of the plot with the levity the music brings. No-one gets out of that episode unscathed, take away the tunes and it’s dark as a shit after a night on the red wine.

mahalo

Atlanta is close to perfect. If I had to choose an ep… Teddy Perkins!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Last episode of 6 Feet Under.

winston
    Free Member
Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Television episode perfection.’ is closed to new replies.