Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • TdF Stage 17 [Possible Spoiler Content]
  • TheFlyingOx

Hahaha! That’s good drop-off technique.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Nice drop off tommy v

crazy-legs

Great win by EBH but this descent is SO exciting!

molgrips
    Free Member

Come on Tommy!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bertie’s going like a nutter!

Oh ‘ello! Voeckler’s decided to visit some mates too! Top skilz dem! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Well that was interesting.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Boooo they didn’t manage to bin the Schlecks….good day though, tomorrow and Friday are going to be super!

crazy-legs

Incredible riding by Voeckler to only lose 26″ with 2 very near misses on that descent.
    The Schlecks/Evans etc also did well to get back up to Contador. What a cracking final run!

RealMan
    Free Member

If I ever get to see the TdF, I’m taking some “huck to flat” and “do a whip” signs.

aracer
    Free Member

Bertie must be rattled, he’s speaking English – hadn’t realised he could.

MussEd
    Free Member

Loved that descent…guessing all the armchair pros from todays other TdF thread might be changing their viewpoints on the Shlecks descending skills now…

Great stuff. Car park excursions especially!

RealMan
    Free Member

1. VOECKLER Thomas 73h 23′ 49″
    2. EVANS Cadel + 01′ 18″
    3. SCHLECK Frank + 01′ 22″
    4. SCHLECK Andy + 02′ 36″
    5. SANCHEZ Samuel + 02′ 59″
    6. CONTADOR Alberto + 03′ 15″

It’s all about Evans.

Oggles
    Free Member

Voeckler representing Team Europcarpark

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Schlecks didn’t descend massively well today, Contador got away from the Schlecks and others in group TT’d together to pull it back in. A Schleck had coughed he doesn’t like DH not ARM chair cyclists criticizing he is just whining himself.

RealMan
    Free Member

Are you defending the arm chair cyclists?

Oggles 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think Bertie will be the kingmaker this year. He’s back on fire now, and it’ll be all about who can stay with him. He’s going to have to take risks now to try to claw back whatever he can, and that will create havoc. And isn’t he pretty good at the Time Trial?

I’d love to see Voeckler go all the way, but it does seem that it’s Cuddle’s to lose, at this stage really.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Not defending arm chair cyclists but it was clear that Contador dropped Schlecks on the descent it wasn’t down to Schlecks good descending skills.

psychle
    Free Member

How much of a serious contender is Evans this year? Would love to see him win it overall, bit of a hero of mine 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

They managed to go down the descent quick enough to not lose enough time so that they couldn’t keep up. It was a very good descent for them.

It’s in the bag for Evans, he’s going all the way.

donsimon
    Free Member

Bertie must be rattled, he’s speaking English – hadn’t realised he could.

He writes in English too, and better than some on here. 😆

MussEd
    Free Member

So what was the point of Contador’s epic descent if Schlecks catch them on the line having pootled down the hill like a middle-aged Mtber from the UK?

RealMan
    Free Member

So what was the point of Contador’s epic descent if Schlecks catch them on the line having pootled down the hill like a middle-aged Mtber from the UK?

Hindsight is wonderful thing isn’t it.

aracer
    Free Member

You might equally ask what was the point of any of his attacks on the climb.

BigJohn

Jedi! Nip over and tell them about countersteering, will you?

crazy-legs

Schlecks were in a bigger group therefore easier to TT it in to the finish. Contador and Sanchez on their own were never going to win that one. Besides, it was only a 5km descent, time gaps aren’t going to be massive – Voeckler left the road twice and he still only lost 26″ to Evans/Schlecks/Contador.

olixmb4x
    Free Member

brilliant descent! sanchez getting all endo

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The point would have been to get a gap, maybe force one of the GC contenders to make mistake which Voeckler did. Sanchez and Contador descended very, very well and they certainly looked to have got the gap at the bottom of the hill. What didn’t work in AC/SS favour was that the group behind got organised and rode an TTT to the finish to close the gap.

AC has to try and take time at every opportunity, some will work some won’t and it’s quite possible that he may even lose time by overcooking it at some point. But he has to try.

MussEd
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    You might equally ask what was the point of any of his attacks on the climb.

Ok, I will…what was the point of any of Contadors attacks on the climb?

And 2 other points: Cav claiming the slow climbers put 4/5 mins into the leaders on descents in order to miss the cut off. And the polka dot leader(Belgian guy can’t recall his name) has a helmet tan to match his jersey…

MussEd
    Free Member

Thank you Muppetwrangler…for answering an ignorant fools question(mine)

RealMan
    Free Member

Cav claiming the slow climbers put 4/5 mins into the leaders on descents in order to miss the cut off.

It’s possible I guess, but sounds a bit unlikely. I think a lot of the slower climbers are very good at descending though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ok, I will…what was the point of any of Contadors attacks on the climb?

He’s testing the waters, seeing how the riders around him are going and seeing if anyone is having an off day. If he has a little dig for a couple of hundred metres and someone can’t follow he knows it worth sustaining the attack.

The approach is a little hopeful but the tactics are forced upon him by having a poor first half of the tour and needing to make up a fair amount of time with limited opportunities left to do it.

D0NK

AC showing some DH skillz there. Been watching the last few days (don’t normally) and a bit dissappointed none of the contendors have been putting in a big effort to break away, but I guess you gotta play it safe and not blow your load on one stage.

PS what happens if AC wins the TdF then gets found guilty of doping in the ongoing case?

RealMan
    Free Member

PS what happens if AC wins the TdF then gets found guilty of doping in the ongoing case?

Lots of people (including me) will say “I told you so”, and the win goes to 2nd place.

aracer
    Free Member

what happens if AC wins the TdF then gets found guilty of doping in the ongoing case?

He makes history as the first person to be disqualified from winning two years in a row.

(was going to FTFY by changing “if” to “when”, but realised he’s got to win this year first which isn’t even looking the most likely result).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

He would lose his two TdF wins plus his Giro win.

D0NK

but realised he’s got to win this year first which isn’t even looking the most likely result

if he gets within a few seconds of winning in the next cpl of stages it’s gonna be squeaky bum time for someone at UCI

the win goes to 2nd place.

was more worried about the fallout media wise and the general publics perception of cycling. Not that a few drug cases seems to overly worry other sports.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

if he gets within a few seconds of winning in the next cpl of stages it’s gonna be squeaky bum time for someone at UCI

Isn’t it out of the hands of the UCI now? Thought it was squarely with the court of arbitration for sport at this stage. UCI president has already gone on record as saying that they don’t believe the beef story, but if CAS find in Contador’s favour that the case is closed and the sport will move on with him as a part of it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

That must have been a great 3k team time trial for that lot to get back on terms.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 17 [Possible Spoiler Content]’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM