• This topic has 148 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kerley.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • TdF STage 12: Briancopn – Alpe d’Huez (spoilers!)
  • crazy-legs

Well…that’s suddenly blown everything wide open!

And today, it’s Bastille Day on Alpe d’Huez. Quiet one then… 😉

(this was from Col du Galibier in 2019 but they’ll be on the Alp, keep an eye out!)

Bets for today – a long range Pogacar comeback or some Jumbo-Visma consolidation? Or an almighty scrap for the “middle rankings” in the top 10 where current GC has everyone within a few seconds of each other.

165km and 4650m of climbing today, going back over yesterday’s Galibier from the other side. They’re barely off that and the Telegraphe when it’s straight back up agian, this time the Col de la Croix de Fer.

And then the grand finale, the Alpe d’Huez. Last time this was a finish was 2018 when Geraint Thomas won on his way to taking the yellow jersey in Paris.

Within the overall is likely to be some pretty stiff competition for the mountains jersey, currently still held by Simon Geschke but with lots of points on offer today.

Thibaut Pinot had a quiet and nearly invisible day yesterday, possibly saving himself for a go at a French win on Bastille Day – he won on Alpe d’Huez in 2015. Tadej Pogacar is far from a write off and could easily come out all guns blazing today.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yesterday was incredible – I can’t wait to see what today might bring…

llama

After yesterday I’m not bothering to make any predictions.

grahamt1980

Pog to do a full on landis and take 8 minutes from everyone

Straightliner

Scores on the doors after yesterday’s fireworks are here:

League table

Superficial
    Free Member

This stage looks incredible, and yesterday really lit the touchpaper!

For anyone thinking of tuning into watch AdH – here are the expected timings:
    E BOURG D’OISANS (D1091-D1091 B-D211) 16.4 148.7 15:59 17:28 17:42 17:59

Penultimate column is the expected time at the foot of the climb (17.42, so 16.42 BST).

https://www.letour.fr/en/stage-12

ElShalimo

thanks @crazy-legs

After yesterday’s amazing race I’m not sure if we’ll see another great day. I hope we do

lunge

I think Pog doing a Landis 2016 Tour Stage 16/Froome 2018 Giro Stage 19 is not beyond the realms of possibility.
    I don’t think it’ll be a dull day for no other reason than a bunch of French riders would love to win on Alpe d’Huez on Bastille day. Could be quiet for GC though.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I think the Landis comparison is a poorly veiled suggestion that Pog might partake in some pot belge before today’s stage. I don’t think I’d watch pro cycling (or any sport tbh) if I was constantly assuming that the victors were always doping.

grahamt1980

I do think there is something funny going on with pog, but i doubt he would be taking anything so blatant.
    My suspicion is that he has taken a mitochondrial booster of some kind (within pharma we have to register a drug if it is found to have those effects)

I hope he does turn out to be clean, but equally i wouldn’t be surprised to see an asterisk next to his tdf wins in future

susepic

So supposedly Pog got his fuelling wrong yesterday. Is that likely because he had no team members with him, or did something else go wrong with that.

If it was just a feeding issue will his recovery be quick enough to be a threat today I wonder.

nickc

. I don’t think I’d watch pro cycling (or any sport tbh) if I was constantly assuming that the victors were always doping.

I watch it under the assumption that they’re all at it to a greater or lesser degree. The entertainment is still the same, there’s less personal investment on my side, and if they’re actually not, it all comes as a pleasant surprise.

I fully expect Pog to be able to put in a remarkable performance today

nbt

What I love at this moment in time is that the top ten is WIDE OPEN, we’re used to seeing a few seconds between the contenders but this year it’s measured in minutes

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I watch with the assumption that they are all skirting about the rules and nudging and pushing where they can(like any sport involving money). I do assume innocent until proven guilty etc that they are not outright doping as we’ve seen in the past.

robola

<tin hat mode on> They are young enough now to have been genetically modified, no drugs required. </tin hat mode off>

steve_b77
    Free Member

I honestly think we’ll see another smash ‘fest of some sort Pidders is far enough down to try and reap havoc for Ineos and line something up for el Capitan Tempo G Equally Pog isn’t quite in a shit or bust scenario as of yet given what’s coming up in the Pyrenees next week. Saying that Jumbo could fire Wout up the road again just to mess with UAE’s heads and totally screw them over.

Likewise Gadu or Bardet could also go a bit bonkers in the eye of national pride, either way I can see it being a bit of another epic and as far removed from ye olde Sky train as possible in what seems to be a new Era of stage racing, vive les cyborgs!!

grahamt1980

<tin hat mode on> They are young enough now to have been genetically modified, no drugs required. </tin hat mode off>

That is absolutely not beyond the reasons of possibility, would definitely be short term gains for some potentially significant consequences in later life though.

I could see a French rider going berserk today on the alpe. The noise will be incredible

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m hoping so, I have Pinot and Bardet in my dream team 🤞

molgrips
    Free Member

So, given the profile is it the case that gains made on the first climb could possibly be preserved throughout the stage? Because there are few flats to allow the peleton to catch up?

crazy-legs

Because there are few flats to allow the peleton to catch up?

I don’t think there’ll be much of a peloton, it’ll blow to pieces almost immediately. The sprinters will be looking to form the autobus as soon as the road goes up!

anagallis_arvensis

How old in Vingagoagoagoago if POG still has white jersey?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Isn’t Bardet a demon descender? Vive La France!

crazy-legs

How old in Vingagoagoagoago if POG still has white jersey?[

25. However cycling goes off YEAR of birth rather than actual age so he’s not (quite) eligible for the White Jersey which is for “riders under 26” – at the moment this translates to “riders born 1997 or later”.

anagallis_arvensis

Limey, I’d have had him down as younger, just goes to show what a freak POG is.

nbt

Headwind up Galibier means the sprinters have chance of keeping somewhere near the peloton – and a tailwind over Croix de Fer?

rOcKeTdOg

So supposedly Pog got his fuelling wrong yesterday. Is that likely because he had no team members with him, or did something else go wrong with that.

I think being constantly attacked in the last 60k he just didn’t have chance to fuel up and faded in the last 15, having no team members to hand him drink or food also contributed. I think the biggest factor was attacking himself when he didn’t need to used up valuable energy.
    He could of course have got COVID from Mr low viral load Mica

smokey_jo

Stop what you’re doing and watch Pidcok descending the Galibier :-0!

beamers

That’s some mega descending skills from Pidders!

molgrips
    Free Member

Pidcock’s descending!

Imagine putting all that work into gaining time on the climb only to have him cruise past you like that.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Pidcock ‘s descending was exhilarating to watch. Us mountain bikers are clearly a breed apart eh lads? 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Pinot/bardet break and sprint finish would see bars all over France drunk dry tonight

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Pidcock and Froome teaming up!

Straightliner

Pidders is flying. And given he doesn’t have many pies to help his descending speed, his skills and positioning are incredible.

llama

Froome as well (!)

kennyp
    Free Member

Watching Pidcock coming down was a joy to behold. Will be interesting to see if he works with Froome.

ads678

Wow, thats awesome descending!

beamers

If “The Missile” wasn’t already taken that should be his nickname.

corroded
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure about his outside line on that overtake. Wouldn’t you duck inside given the other rider is more likely to move outward than inward? But then I’ve never overtaken anyone at 50mph on a corner!

nbt

that was fabulous to watch from Pidders, and it’s great to see him team up with Froome to work together on the descent (there’s a headwind so a two-up will give each some respite)

Back on yesterday

having no team members to hand him drink or food also contributed.

Nairo was DESPERATE for a bottle yesterday when he went off the front but I don’t recall seing hime get one from anyone – no roadside helpers. not the neutral service vehicle or anything. Hope they’re a bit better prepared on the climbs today as it’s supposed to be just as hot if not hotter

llama

So how long will froome last then?
    head says: dropped on the CdF
    heart says: solos up the alpe!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.