Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • TdF STage 12: Briancopn – Alpe d’Huez (spoilers!)
  • masterdabber
    Free Member

If Nino Schurter and Mathias Flückiger were watching I bet they hope Pidcock sticks to the road.

BigJohn

I think she might bother learning to pronounce somebody else’s name once people start to pronounce her’s right.

llama

Best win of his life (so far)

I posted a few days ago that ineos would be lucky to get a podium and pidcock would do well to get top 10. Errr, stand corrected, both look quite likely now!

Inspirational ride from Froome

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Honourable mention for Meintjes too, wasn’t that long ago people were questioning the inclusion of Intermarchy at races. Done not too bad this year.

rOcKeTdOg

Not bad for an mtber

ElShalimo

I’m hoping there are some mad breakaways tomorrow from lower placed riders.

nbt

Well that was a FANTASTIC race, not highlights for us, we watched the whole race replay. Chuffed for Pidders of course (that descending was sublime), but beyond pleased to see Chris Froome back up at the top. A genuine pleasure to see him do well

el_boufador

I suppose he’s ok

(Me at the top. I’d obviously have taken a few seconds out of him today also)

kerley
    Free Member

If Nino Schurter and Mathias Flückiger were watching I bet they hope Pidcock sticks to the road.

And MVDP and Van Aert. Any of them could do a full season of MTB XC and win it but that is not where the money or the career/legacy is.

Richie_B

Is someone going to tell Lizzie how to pronounce Pogacar? 🙂

The problem is she learnt off Sean Kelly

mrhoppy

2 of the best consecutive days racing I can remember.

Bunnyhop

I was really emotional after watching Pidock and Froome. All these youngsters riding alone with the old timers and all getting great results.
    Pidcock’s mtbiking skills really showed on those descents – 105kph Wow!

13thfloormonk

Pidcock’s mtbiking skills really showed on those descents

Really? was there a rock garden or series of berms I missed? 😉

I think when a world champion cyclo-crosser displays some ability going around corners on drop bars and skinny tyres there’s possibly a more obvious explanation…

Bunnyhop

13thfloormonk – I forgot to say in my opinion. Obviously it’s not your opinion.:0)

weeksy

using the MTB logic, a lot more of us on here would be descending Gods out on road bikes, i know for 1, i’m absolutely bloody awful on a road bike.

beej

And I’m rubbish on an MTB but pretty good on a road bike.

snotrag

a lot more of us on here would be descending Gods out on road bikes, i know for 1, i’m absolutely bloody awful on a road bike.

Are you as good as Pidcock on a MTB though?!

fasthaggis

2 of the best consecutive days racing I can remember.

This^^
    The skill used getting up to the break and working with Froome was a thing of beauty, then that final attack,absolutely superb.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Traditionally didn’t it used to be sprinters as the best descenders: hushovd, Sagan. But now you’ve got froome, Bardet and now pidcock
    I spose the climbers are at the pointy end of mountain stages though

lunge

Traditionally didn’t it used to be sprinters as the best descenders: hushovd, Sagan. But now you’ve got froome, Bardet and now pidcock
    I spose the climbers are at the pointy end of mountain stages though

I think generally the sprinters still are the best overall, you just don’t see them on TV. You see the break and the GC riders as they’re at the front, you don’t see the grupetto making up time so they can go up the climbs slower!

Hushvod and Sagan were both active in breaks so ended up on TV.

13thfloormonk

13thfloormonk – I forgot to say in my opinion. Obviously it’s not your opinion.:0

Sorry, was just in jest 😎

I was so slow at descending on an MTB (or, in my defence, I preferred slower techier descents) that it had literally no bearing on my ability to descend on a road bike, but I’d swear I’ve gotten better at cornering once I started dabbling in CX.

Traditionally didn’t it used to be sprinters as the best descenders

Didn’t they just have a weight advantage? And the likes of Cav were probably (compared to climbers) heavier whilst also still compact and reasonably aero?

fingerbang
    Free Member

Didn’t they just have a weight advantage? And the likes of Cav were probably (compared to climbers) heavier whilst also still compact and reasonably aero?

Heavier and ever so slightly unhinged

steve_b77
    Free Member

I love the fact people are hanging on “he’s a mountain biker so is amazing at descending” the young chap is just sublime on a bike, with the ability to push it to the limits and way past them as seen during this years CX season when he had a few lay downs while figuring out how his new Pinarello handled.

chaos

I did wonder if there might be some use of a dropper for descents as Mohoric used in Milan-SanRemo but I expect none of the higher-end Pinarello range have round seat-posts anyway so perhaps not an option for Pidcock.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, the whole mtbers are better at descending thing is a load of hokum. He’s just great at descending whatever the bike, in the same way that some people are terrible at it, whatever the bike (me).

crazy-legs

I love the fact people are hanging on “he’s a mountain biker so is amazing at descending”

That line has been trotted out by the likes of Liggett / Sherwen for decades though and a lot of the current crop of commentators have picked up on it. Up there with similar cliched trite phrases like
    “such a strong rider” (no shit, someone riding the Tour de France is “strong”, who’d have thought it?!)
    “attack off the front” (what, as opposed to the more usual attack off the side…?)
    “look at the pace!” (yes, it’s a bike race, I’m kind of expecting it to be fast…)

Is someone going to tell Lizzie how to pronounce Pogacar? 🙂

Glad I’m not the only one being irritated to hell by that.

The best moments in commentary are when they’re talking normally. Ned, David and Lizzie had a genuinely interesting chat the other day while not a lot was happening and it was just normal intelligent conversation.
    Hugh Porter was the worst for inane burble.

joefm
    Free Member

He hinted on insta that he’ll be back in Les Gets in 6 weeks…

kerley
    Free Member

He is there so inconsistently though that it makes little difference to overall standing. More something to demoralise the MTB racers who do that as their only thing (although that is not his reason for competing)

Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.