Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tapered fork in non-tapered head tube (again, probably) ?
  • thenorth
    Free Member

Some say yes, some say no.

I’ve gotten a little too excited and got my hands on a nearly-new pair of forks to go on a 2003 Stiffee.

Only in the aftermath have I realised the steerer is tapered (in my defence, I started looking at new front wheels as I’m going to have to replace that too because of the dropouts).

I know there’s special bottom race things you can get from Hope, Superstar & Cane Creek but I’ve no idea which if any would be suitable?

Time for a new frame or new forks? 😥

IA

Unless (unlikely) the stiffee is a 44mm headtube (integrated headset, i.e. the cups are INSIDE the headtube) then no, they’re not fitting.

ratherbeintobago

AFAIK you can’t get a tapered steerer to fit in a 1?” HT. You can get an external cup to make a tapered steerer fit in a 44mm HT, but I’d have thought a bike from 2003 is more likely to be 1?”.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Stiffee only has a 1.1/8th headtube so new frame time or different forks

thenorth
    Free Member

Oh bugger. Live & learn.

Thanks chaps 😳

ThePinkster

I was just about to ask this very same question myself – gonna have a spare tapered fork in the next month or so an wasn’t sure which bike it’d fit.

Looks like it’s been narrowed down to the GT now.

Cheers for saving me the effort, thenorth

thenorth
    Free Member

Glad to help out!

creedy
    Free Member

I thought crane creek did an external converter as looked at this myself. I’d have another look. Probably wrong but I only looked a couple of weeks ago.

creedy
    Free Member

Cane creek EC44/40. Needs the bore to be 1 1/8 and will work to go with a 1 5 tapered steerer

wolfenstein
    Free Member

hope pick n mix. ive done mine tapered fork on a 2012 cube attention straight headtube

thenorth
    Free Member

Creedy, does that one not need an integrated headset thing rather than bog standard?

ratherbeintobago

Cane creek EC44/40. Needs the bore to be 1 1/8 and will work to go with a 1 5 tapered steerer

That’s incorrect, I’m afraid. The two letters are the cup type (in this case external), the first two numbers the headtube internal diameter and the last two numbers the steerer external diameter – see here.

For a 1?” HT to take a 1.5″ steerer, you’d need an EC34/40 cup, which isn’t going to work.

thenorth
    Free Member

Wolfenstein, what type of head tube did you have?

wolfenstein
    Free Member
    IA

Wolfenstein – that’s not a standard 1 1/8th headtube, it’s a integrated headset one as mentioned above (so 44mm).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

that link is for a 44mm headtube, not 1 1/8.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

My mistake then tbh. I though its the same or my understanding is wrong all along 😯 ..anyhoo.. Its kinda done like that : …what is 1 1/8 looks like by the way?

jairaj

thenorth – Member

Wolfenstein, what type of head tube did you have?

wolfenstein – Member

@thenorth. 1 1/8

That’s your steerer size not your head tube size. Have a look on park tools website or cane cree’s website for more info on finding out what head tube you have.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tapered fork in non-tapered head tube (again, probably) ?’ is closed to new replies.